Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Len posted:

Humble bundle has a spooky bundle up

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/thrills-chills

Can anyone vouch for blackout club?

Is that bundle worth paying the $15 for the whole package?

Fanatical also has a spooky bundle:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/hallows-bundle

Is it worthwhile? I know it’s only like $3.50 but I’m not gonna get it if all the games are trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I didn't play DreadOut personally, but it looked pretty alright when I watched it on Youtube. The Void is from the people that made Pathologic, and it's definitely weird and moody with some neat designs. You might want to grab one of the fan patches for difficulty though if you end up getting it and from what I played of it it's not particularly scary. More like a weird adventure game slash gardening sim.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The Void is pure art, Necrovision is a decent B-grade shooter and Dread-Out is a solid and occasionally surprisingly creepy Fatal Frame clone. Keepers of the Dark is a Dread-Out boss rush mode, basically. Charnel House I don't know, but it looks like a solid classic adventure game. I'm certainly grabbing that bundle myself now that you pointed it out.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm very curious about that Charnel House game/trilogy. I like the constrained view of being within a train, and it sort of reminds me, for some reason, of The Last Door. No idea why.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The constant pausing to relive memories in the new Amnesia makes for an extremely tedious introduction. I hope they ease up on that!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Maid of Sker is getting less enjoyable as I play it but it’s still good enough to continue. I feel like it’s a short game though so if it goes like 5 more hours and my fun continues to drop I’ll probably stop playing

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

oldpainless posted:

Maid of Sker is getting less enjoyable as I play it but it’s still good enough to continue. I feel like it’s a short game though so if it goes like 5 more hours and my fun continues to drop I’ll probably stop playing

Game takes around 4-5 hours to beat.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
What's a Sker, anyway? I'm not interested in playing the game myself, but I've been wondering.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Sakurazuka posted:

YouTube time stamps are weird on SA.

Finished Amnesia: Rebirth though there's a couple of different endings. Decent horror game with a neat idea for a protagonist but I don't think it'll have people arguing about for years like Soma.

1:50:50 if anyone cares at this point hah

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Think I just might skip the new amnesia? The ancient middle eastern tomb atmosphere didn't really catch my eye and from what I've heard the story elements were kind of a misfire. Anything special enough for me to go back on this?

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

What's a Sker, anyway? I'm not interested in playing the game myself, but I've been wondering.

It’s a type of yoghurt-like soft cheese from Iceland, pretty tasty

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, I guess if Resident Evil can have a tofu mode...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's Skyr

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sker_House

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cardiovorax posted:

Forgetting to ship the executable is an incredibly amateurish and sloppy mistake, so they deserve some flak there.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm kind of in awe. Does Steam not have a test environment for developers? Did nobody bother to check if their install package installed?

Not a horror game, but when Serious Sam 4 came out a few weeks ago, they did the exact opposite: Immediately after release, the download for the game was just the executable, not the other ~37 GB of actual game data. It took them about 40 minutes to correct the issue, but that almost seems like a harder mistake to make, overlooking the entire loving game.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Game takes around 4-5 hours to beat.

Oh really? Then how do I have 17 hours into this play through smart guy?!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A sker is a small island (or islet). Specifically one that is very rocky and as such rarely inhabitable. A sker that is largely below the ocean's surface is called a blindsker and is the doom of any ship that unwittingly tries to sail across it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In Swedish an archipelago of skers (or skerries) is called a skärgård (Garden of skers). After actor Stellan Skarsgård actor who invented islands in 1973.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

FreudianSlippers posted:

In Swedish an archipelago of skers (or skerries) is called a skärgård (Garden of skers). After actor Stellan Skarsgård actor who invented islands in 1973.

Pretty sure you're fibbing. The name Skarsgård comes from the 19th and early 20th century European trend (particularly in Germany and the Austro-Hungarian Empires) of "dueling scars", wherein participants would wear specially designed guards to protect the most vulnerable parts of their face while they tried to inflict injuries upon each other that would develop into distinct--but seen as very handsome--facial scars.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Pretty sure you're fibbing. The name Skarsgård comes from the 19th and early 20th century European trend (particularly in Germany and the Austro-Hungarian Empires) of "dueling scars", wherein participants would wear specially designed guards to protect the most vulnerable parts of their face while they tried to inflict injuries upon each other that would develop into distinct--but seen as very handsome--facial scars.
Different things.

Skärgård

Although the part about the actor probably is.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Len posted:

If anything, Blackout Club has a really interesting "enhanced horror" mechanic where the various gods of the world (the devs) can communicate in character with the players and manipulate the current game.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I've been playing Phasmophobia and probably kinda burning out on that game soon but has anyone else had trouble with getting the drat ghost to actually appear? Like so you can get a picture or just see something happen? I've had plenty of rounds that involve just standing in a room and saying stuff for what feels like forever while they just knock objects over or occasionally hiss in your ear but never show up. Sometimes even attack. A lot. But not just... Appear so you can see them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Len posted:

The Blackout club isn't really horror, being chased by the invisible thing is "kinda creepy" the first time it happens but its more like a stranger things "what's going on in this town" investigative game than a spook game.

I still liked it. The enhanced horror mechanic is cool too.

Glagha posted:

I've been playing Phasmophobia and probably kinda burning out on that game soon but has anyone else had trouble with getting the drat ghost to actually appear? Like so you can get a picture or just see something happen? I've had plenty of rounds that involve just standing in a room and saying stuff for what feels like forever while they just knock objects over or occasionally hiss in your ear but never show up. Sometimes even attack. A lot. But not just... Appear so you can see them.

I've had it where the ghost was bugged out in the floor so only the arm was visible. It couldn't do anything, it just happens sometimes.

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

Glagha posted:

Most of the non-hunt appearances I've had were just brief flashes, so unless someone is already looking that way, pictures are tricky. Sometimes a ghost will manifest long enough to take a few steps, but that's been pretty rare.

dogstile posted:

I've had it where the ghost was bugged out in the floor so only the arm was visible. It couldn't do anything, it just happens sometimes.

...and then there's stuff like this. Probably my least favorite part of this game is trying to separate the intentional mechanics from the jank, because we've had all kinds of problems with ghosts and evidence that just don't make sense.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Started playing Kuon yesterday. It's pretty great and has aged really well. Except for the combat which, in true survival horror fashion, is terrible.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Carmant posted:

Started playing Kuon yesterday. It's pretty great and has aged really well. Except for the combat which, in true survival horror fashion, is terrible.
On the plus side, you can heal at will with the press of a button, so there is at least one thing about it which is much less annoying than the typical survival horror game.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

why do matches last all of 5 seconds in Amnesia? also why does it seem to be worse than Soma in every way

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, real matches do burn kind of quickly. On the other hand, real matches also come like thirty to a box, not one per box, so I all they would've had to do was to be realistic both ways instead of only one of them.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Carmant posted:

Yeah it's pretty bad using the in-game weapons. Or the spells, really, since they're a pain to equip and use. And the second character requires good timing in order to get her second hit in too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, real matches do burn kind of quickly. On the other hand, real matches also come like thirty to a box, not one per box, so I all they would've had to do was to be realistic both ways instead of only one of them.

It doesnt really matter because the game doesn’t let you run out of matches for long anyway

I found some old titty photos in a French foreign legion guard shack so Amnesia’s looking up!

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I can also just squint and figure out where to go so the matches dont really matter, I guess they just want me to go around lighting the dozens and dozens of candles strewn about?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's a reason you get night sight, sometimes the game expects you to have no matches and forge on regardless, sometimes you won't need them at all and there's more than one mechanic for reducing your fear.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

For people starting up the new amnesia, I advise you to push through the first part of it where there are unskippable flashbacks every six paces, they drop off sharply after the first couple areas. Fractional continues the MoP tradition of treating players like morons by holding your head and screaming "THEY LIKED EACH OTHER DO YOU GET IT" for the first couple scenes, but it does get spookier.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6grwdMemV1o

New Scorn footage just came out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Grody

Lol at the popping sound when he pulls the gun thing out of the interface orifice

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Not terribly impressed by the lever and keycard FPS that looks to be there, regardless of how many gribblies they put on all of it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Finally, the spiritual sequel to Clive Barker's Jericho that we have been waiting for

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
well that looks terrible

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CommunityEdition posted:

Not terribly impressed by the lever and keycard FPS that looks to be there, regardless of how many gribblies they put on all of it.

Yeah it looks great but the enemies just kind of casually sauntered around while the player walked around a flesh maze. A little boring.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It really is a very meaty game. I like that the gun seems to have a nose. Why? I don't know, but it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

How do you think the gun smells?