Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

bio347 posted:

I think the thing for me is that while Cadsuane may be able to take credit for being the one to finally set Rand off, because that turned out to be necessary, she had absolutely no impact on him pulling out of his tailspin. Tuon deserves more credit for that than Cadsuane does, tbh.

It also kinda glosses over the part where Rand was | | close to obliterating existence, so, y'know. Dunno if even Mat would've taken that gamble.

Also one of the big reasons Rand had for deciding to stop caring about things was to give people less handles on him to try and use to manipulate him in reaction to people trying to manipulate him.

Cadsuane being one of the manipulators mentioned. So she was adding to the problem instead of helping.

Then when she finally sorta figures out that her method isn't working, she just manipulates in another direction without ever doing any kind of self awareness.

Basically she's Principle Skinner in a meme.

That was why I originally was comparing her to moiraine, because moiraine does the same kind of stuff originally but she learns from her mistakes and adjusts. Which makes her significantly better on the scale of "Helping rand" than most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Ego Trip posted:

This is the reason that I think Lan is the person who pushed Rand farthest towards falling to the dark.

Asmodean might've been Rand's only actually decent mentor figure, if only for being the only one not to gently caress him up in some way.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hahah, that's great to hear. I'd hope that was the case though, it's the only one of the three based on an actual book and not just background notes and appendices.

House of the Dragon made me feel things, had one of the best acting of any shows the year it came out and had an exciting and intriguing season finale that made crave more

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I largely liked the season outside of the finale but the Taren Ferry bit might have been the dumbest thing on TV that year. Who cares if your son is coming, dude, you think you're gonna wade through that crowd of monsters?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Finally starting my reread of the series and up to Thom's introduction and God strike down the decision making that cost us television Thom juggling while storytelling in favor of gloomy guitar playing. The former is so cool!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TV magic should have been able to give us snowy-moustached rickety old men who can do backflips and cartwheels and instakill a town square full of thugs with his hidden throwing knives

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Data Graham posted:

TV magic should have been able to give us snowy-moustached rickety old men who can do backflips and cartwheels and instakill a town square full of thugs with his hidden throwing knives

Just go hire circus performers from eastern Europe, those dudes are like... actually Thom

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This is why CGI was created. To see an elderly man flip around in a cape

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Honestly, I still think on the scene of Thom meeting Moiraine in Emond's Field and how it's really just a masterful little piece of storytelling. It's a couple paragraphs of (on its face) entirely innocuous text that's got, like, at least three or four layers of added meaning that you'll only be able to realize entire books down the road.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

The cadsuane scene that sticks with me most is Darth Rand idly musing about whether he could manipulate Ta'verenness to cause her to spontaneously drop dead, without saidin. And she's basically terrified he can/will.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

Finally starting my reread of the series and up to Thom's introduction and God strike down the decision making that cost us television Thom juggling while storytelling in favor of gloomy guitar playing. The former is so cool!
Yeah, it would have been awesome. I was not a fan of how they handled Thom at all. He is one of the most awesome characters even if he is definitely a side character.

Then again it may not have been their dumbest decision (which is not saying much). I can see that they may have wanted to avoid the 'high fantasy' aspects of the series as much as possible; it's really hard to pull off that stuff in a way that doesn't just seem dorky as hell to ordinary people. Takes a lot of talent and careful writing, art direction and so on to make it work. Less risky to just grimdark things a bit. Harp becomes guitar, Fancy Bard Circus Moustache Man Who Is Also Deadly becomes gritty guitar-playing dude.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

"My lords shall we send in our merry bard to liven the proceedings"

*Nu-Thom shuffles in and plays a slow version of Glycerine*

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

I loved the old audio books but I dropped an audible credit on the Rosamund Pike EOTW on a whim and turns out having an absolutely 110% committed Oscar caliber actor read your book kicks rear end

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. The audiobook series of Narnia has a different luminary thespian doing each book, and Patrick Stewart doing The Last Battle is absolutely god loving awful

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Data Graham posted:

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. The audiobook series of Narnia has a different luminary thespian doing each book, and Patrick Stewart doing The Last Battle is absolutely god loving awful

Could've saved a bunch and hired Mike Stoklasa.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

El Grillo posted:

Yeah, it would have been awesome. I was not a fan of how they handled Thom at all. He is one of the most awesome characters even if he is definitely a side character.

Then again it may not have been their dumbest decision (which is not saying much). I can see that they may have wanted to avoid the 'high fantasy' aspects of the series as much as possible; it's really hard to pull off that stuff in a way that doesn't just seem dorky as hell to ordinary people. Takes a lot of talent and careful writing, art direction and so on to make it work. Less risky to just grimdark things a bit. Harp becomes guitar, Fancy Bard Circus Moustache Man Who Is Also Deadly becomes gritty guitar-playing dude.

I think they should have more Thom, and they did go a bit too grimdark with him but focusing more on the music side of being a gleeman rather than a juggler I think was a good idea. There's already all sorts of fantasy, and magic, and honest to god literal plot armor that I can suspend my disbelief on. Convincing me that juggling of all things makes him the greatest bard whose ever lived? That's a bridge too far. It's always been weird to me that that's the thing he shows off.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s because he is good with his hands which is why he can produce knives out of thin air, it makes him threatening. Show Thom is not threatening at all.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Yeah, it's not just juggling, but sleight-of-hand in general, and it ties into his knife skills. Further, Thom's mentorship of Mat in that area during EotW is something that sticks for the rest of the series, and Mat's knife skills come up pretty often.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Show Tom has the sleight of hand skills. It's just not shown off by juggling. It's shown off by doing sleight of hand.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He lifts Mats purse and then slowly takes out a couple daggers to attack the fade. Truly a master. He really needed a puffy mustache to blow out constantly. He’s supposed to look like a frail old man because nobody expects him to be competent.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

And here we are watching a bunch of people say how he doesn't look competent.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Verin's casting is finally confirmed.

https://twitter.com/nerdist/status/1657038182846701575

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Very nice. Odd choice to give it Nerdist to reveal but the official account retweeted it so :shrug:

I want that Lanfear reveal

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

pik_d posted:

Verin's casting is finally confirmed.

I wonder if they're going to tell her all about Verin. I know not all of the cast had read the books at the time of the first season, so there's a good chance she doesn't know Verin's whole story and it might change how she acts.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

seaborgium posted:

I wonder if they're going to tell her all about Verin. I know not all of the cast had read the books at the time of the first season, so there's a good chance she doesn't know Verin's whole story and it might change how she acts.

I think they know more about the books than we suspect. A couple weeks ago Priyanka Bose posted a pic on her IG of her and Jennifer Cheon Garcia hanging with Meera Syal in Prague and this was the caption

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Hexel posted:

I think they know more about the books than we suspect. A couple weeks ago Priyanka Bose posted a pic on her IG of her and Jennifer Cheon Garcia hanging with Meera Syal in Prague and this was the caption

I figured they'd tell the actors things like that, I was just curious if they made a point of doing it once they officially cast them. More idle curiosity than anything else.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/katefleetwood/status/1657515275841855488?s=46&t=FuVqINhLr5iT6f4jGf4sZg

Season 3 the faithful adaptation of The Shadow Rising sounds like a banger.

:ck5:

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

between Covid and now the writers strike during crucial s3 filming, really feeling like the show is filming on a cursed burial ground or something

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I’m glad they’re filming during the strike. 2 years between seasons is ridiculous enough without added bullshit.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Priyanka Bose, who is perfect in every way, had fun this morning creating a little bit of chaos on instagram.

People have obviously been having fun going through the very tiny images to see if they can find new people. This article was released today which I'm not actually sure is related, but it still has some new names.

https://www.wotseries.com/2023/05/13/scoop-four-new-cast-identified-for-the-wheel-of-time-season-3/

quote:

Today, we have four more cast that we’ve identified as being part of Prime Video’s adaptation of Robert Jordan’s beloved book series: Nila Aalia, Joelle, Nyokabi Gethaiga, and Diêm Camille.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Continuing my reread Jordan really did have a great handle on descriptive writing that convinced you were im a different time and place. Just details like using oak in a fire because it lasts longer is such great first person narration.

Then when the bucolic nature of the Two Rivers is ripped apart its such a huge shock. The whole sequence of the Trolloc attack on the Thor farmstead was such a breathless ride rife with super cool moments (stuff the TV show cut out like Tam demolishing 4 Trollocs and loving Narg!). It's such good writing and at such an early point of the series.

Jordan really was great.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

"There's work waiting for me. Don't you worry, lad. The Wisdom will take good care of him, and the Light will take care of us all. And if the Light doesn't, well, we'll just take care of ourselves. Remember, we're Two River folk."

That's great dialogue.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

bio347 posted:

I think the thing for me is that while Cadsuane may be able to take credit for being the one to finally set Rand off, because that turned out to be necessary, she had absolutely no impact on him pulling out of his tailspin. Tuon deserves more credit for that than Cadsuane does, tbh.

It also kinda glosses over the part where Rand was | | close to obliterating existence, so, y'know. Dunno if even Mat would've taken that gamble.
Yeah it's this. Cadusane was about as effective at "helping" Rand as Semirhage.

Hexel posted:

Very nice. Odd choice to give it Nerdist to reveal but the official account retweeted it so :shrug:

I want that Lanfear reveal
Lanfer Selene reveal. Just lol if you think they aren't going all in on the "Who is Selene?" mystery after the whole "Who is the Dragon?" of season 1.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

th3t00t posted:

Yeah it's this. Cadusane was about as effective at "helping" Rand as Semirhage.

Lanfer Selene reveal. Just lol if you think they aren't going all in on the "Who is Selene?" mystery after the whole "Who is the Dragon?" of season 1.

To be fair, it'd be fun to get one last glimpse at naive earnest rand, who doesn't at all question the strangely competent beautiful woman showing up.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I think they’re gonna skip naive Rand and move right into his war crimes era in an effort to be more grimdark.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hexel posted:

I think they’re gonna skip naive Rand and move right into his war crimes era in an effort to be more grimdark.

War crimes? Sure, he was mean but sometimes the end justifies the mean.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hughmoris posted:

War crimes? Sure, he was mean but sometimes the end justifies the mean.

That palace wasn't gonna balefire itself

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

First look of Meera Syal as Verin from the BAFTA TV awards

https://twitter.com/rosamundpikelet/status/1657833690511077382

Edit: Here's a tiny clip

https://twitter.com/rosamundpikelet/status/1657839423050981378

pik_d fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 14, 2023

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011