Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Hey C.I we know your views on how useless Hootsuite is as a Canadian IT company. What about Shopify?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
What about Wishabi who is now Flipp? What are your thoughts on the app as a company model?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I like shopify as a concept. I don't know much about the company itself. I hate hootsuite for the concept.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Cultural Imperial posted:

I like shopify as a concept. I don't know much about the company itself. I hate hootsuite for the concept.

There's two competing companies in the US that are rumoured to be on their way to a merger. If it happens, Shopify is done. They will go under.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Shopify already has huge market share though. They'll be fine.

They're also way easier to use than a lot of their competitors like Wix.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

jm20 posted:

What about Wishabi who is now Flipp? What are your thoughts on the app as a company model?

Using an app as a company model is risky, but it's not inherently a bad idea.

Where a lot of companies have problems is monetizing. Instagram literally like two weeks ago just started putting ads in their streams. Before that they had zero - that's right zero - revenue. And were paying a staff of probably hundreds.

There are two risks with apps: for one thing, you have to have a way to keep making money off people. In games, especially, keeping it up can be tough. You can be like Zanga, who developed two popular games (Mafia Wars and Farmville) and milked them for all it was worth and then some. The problem was, they have had a very, very hard time coming up with another popular game. They ended up buying DrawSomething for 183 million. It takes a loving lot of $3.99 downloads with a 70% royalty rate to get that money back.

Have a look at their five year chart if you want a laugh: https://www.google.com/finance?q=zynga&ei=Z2KiVqnDAeb8iwLFhIa4Aw

On the other hand, you can be like King. They use their website, which is basically an online arcade, to test games and then release them as apps. Candy Crush, obviously, you've heard of, but they also have a bunch of other games that sure, aren't the major number one hits like Candy Crush, but still make decent amounts of money.

Most of the money in apps is in games. Something like 30% of app store revenue comes from games alone. If you want to see how well a particular category does, see what the top grossing app in that category is, then find out where it's ranked in the whole app store. That's not to say that other apps can't make decent money. They absolutely can.

The riskiest part of running an app is that it's so easy for Apple or Google to pull your app. That said, what's good for the goose and all that... Apple isn't going to pull CandyCrush from their store for any reason because it's making them too much money. But the risk is still there. So's the reward.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can see having laws about actual informational signs installed by the city or signs mandated for safety/wayfinding reasons. But a beer ad? Who cares. Make it 100% chinese. Make it 100% German, who gives a gently caress it's an ad.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Meanwhile, in Vancouver...

quote:

Crowdfunding B.C. real estate ventures involving Chinese investors being reviewed

Companies advertising in Chinese promise ‘high returns’

VANCOUVER — The B.C. Securities Commission is reviewing at least two real estate organizations and their related crowdfunding companies which are soliciting Chinese investors to pool their money and buy into expensive commercial, industrial and recreational real estate.

One company, Sun Commercial Real Estate Ltd., recently advertised on Chinese-language sites “sea view apartment” opportunities at the Molson Brewery on Burrard Street.

In November, Molson sold the land to an as-yet undisclosed group of investors, but the city has said it wants the land retained for industrial uses and not converted to residential.

Sun Commercial, which operates out of a richly decorated 10th-floor office in the MNP Tower on West Hastings, had promised in online documents “high returns” and “zero risk” in projects it offers, including the Molson site.

The other company, Richmond-based Luxmore Realty, has been billing itself as “the World’s First Crowd-Funding Real Estate Brokerage.” It is offering investments in several projects, including two golf courses and a retirement home.

But the practice of crowdfunding real estate investments may contravene new B.C. securities law that limits such online mass investment schemes to small campaigns in which single contributors are limited to $1,500.

Richard Gilhooley, a B.C. Securities Commission spokesman, said the agency is reviewing both Luxmore and Sun Commercial, and that neither company had filed documents required by law for offering securities. In B.C. anyone seeking investors must file either a comprehensive prospectus that outlines all the details, including risk, or an exemption notice limited to sophisticated investors or people familiar to the filer. The rules apply to ownership in securities but not tangible real estate. It is unclear whether Sun Commercial or Luxmore are offering securities or direct ownership in their real estate “projects.”

No one from Sun Commercial or Luxmore Realty returned calls. A reporter who visited Sun Commercial’s downtown Vancouver office was told to make an appointment and turned away. Calls to Julia Lau, a former real estate agent who lists herself as a vice-president of both Sun Commercial and Suncrowdfunding Holdings Ltd., were not returned.

Jason Liu, a registered real estate agent who is behind Canada Luxmore Crowdfunding, did not return a call for comment. However, in an email to the South China Morning Post he said: “The projects in which Luxmore is involved are compliant with British Columbia law.”

The concept of finding syndicate investors through crowdfunding is a new twist in Vancouver’s red-hot real estate market, which has become attractive to offshore buyers, particularly in China. The companies appear to largely target Chinese investors and do not have significant English-language advertising campaigns. Sun Commercial, for example, publishes almost all of its online material in Chinese.

In a recent posting on vansky.com, a Chinese-language Vancouver website, it said it was trying to “recruit shareholders” for a plan to build 330,000 square feet of “great sea view apartment development” at the three-hectare Molson site. In a translated document seen by The Vancouver Sun, the company said the project is “zero risk, high return.”

It said it was looking for small investors to put up $150,000, with “VIP customers” investing $100 million. However, it said the VIP section was full.

The document has since been scrubbed from the vansky.com site.

Similarly, a site operated by Canada Luxmore Crowdfunding called canadazhongchou.com, in which the company listed a number of projects it was offering, was taken down after media began to ask questions. On his dual language Luxmore Realty site Liu noted he held an “advocacy conference” in 2014 to promote “a better understanding of the relationship between real estate brokers and crowdfunding.” It drew about 150 agents.

A glossy English-language document put together by Sun Commercial with Lau’s business card indicates the company owns or has bought and sold many signature properties in Metro Vancouver, including a continuing ownership of the Sands Hotel on Davie Street, the Westwood Plateau Golf Course and the massive River White Homes commercial mall project in Richmond.

Lau is a former licensed real estate agent in B.C. who “permanently surrendered” her license on Jan. 9, 2015 after the Real Estate Council of B.C. began disciplinary action regarding professional conduct while she was at West Coast Realty.

In its document, Sun Commercial describes itself as a “property investment and land assembly management” company that has “helped our clients achieve impressive returns on their investments, ranging from 16 per cent to 150 per cent.”

The document, which appears to have been written in 2015, said Sun Commercial had “completed nine projects” worth $209 million in 2014. “We aim to purchase CAD$418 million worth of projects this year.”

The Real Estate Council said Sun Commercial is not licensed with it and that it would be up to the Superintendent of Real Estate to determine if the company is providing real estate services as defined in the Real Estate Services Act.

Calls to the Financial Institutions Commission, which covers the Superintendent of Real Estate, were not immediately returned.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baronjutter posted:

I can see having laws about actual informational signs installed by the city or signs mandated for safety/wayfinding reasons. But a beer ad? Who cares. Make it 100% chinese. Make it 100% German, who gives a gently caress it's an ad.

I don't think it is actually a law, it is just something that the city council is hoping to get a handle on. A store having a different language signage generally wouldn't be a big deal, but the sheer density of it in Richmond can make shopping there a very off putting experience.

Personally I just assume that they don't want anglophone business, if I cannot tell what they sell without actually entering the store, and don't worry too much about it. That is easy for me though since I don't live in that suburb and don't need to participate in the community. Contrast that with the Korea-town I live near, where I can tell what every place actually is, even with all the Korean signage.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PT6A posted:

Honestly, after living in Montreal for years and putting up with their bullshit, I want anyone who advocates for "50% Any Language" laws to be publicly whipped and then launched into the sun.

It's a lovely idea when Quebecers do it, and it's an equally lovely idea when everyone else does it. Don't like the sign? Don't look at it.
At least Quebec has actual rational reasons to be concerned about the preservation of their Frenchness!

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

PT6A posted:

I like how this thread is so against home ownership, and then the minute someone points out a place that isn't in the midst of a horrible housing bubble, all the negatives everyone's listed seem to evaporate as if by magic! It's almost like the main problem is the housing bubbles themselves, not ownership...

EDIT: Just to be clear, I agree that home ownership is often a good choice in a market where houses are fairly priced. I just find it hilarious that no one brings up the maintenance costs, lack of liquidity and/or flexibility, finance charges, etc. as if those are only present in overheated markets.

If memory serves, EvilJoven is in Winnipeg where it is true that the average home price has gone up drastically, but there is still a heap of older housing available under 200-thousand dollars. Plus or minus 25% of that, you have 200-250 homes on the market at any given time. And another 75 to 100 more in the zero to 150-thousand dollar range. That's stand along homes, maybe some side-by-sides. A lot of the really cheap ones might not be up to the standards of what most buyers here would be looking for, but if I'm poor immigrant or refugee? It is super affordable and safe, at least compared to Syria.

And I can't find any data going back to the mid and late 90s to corroborate what I remember of the home market at the time, but as I recall it there were lots of homes in the (now very trendy and gentrified Wolseley area) selling for between 50-thousand and 80-thousand dollars. In the north end you could get a whole house and some land under it for less than 10-thousand. I remember seeing one place on Selkirk listed in the MLS weekly for $6000. If you know anything about Selkirk Avenue in Winnipeg, it wasn't really a good deal even though you could have put the whole thing on your Visa card, but the point is that things were wildly undervalued for quite some time.

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 22, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Plus the house was a loving shithole when they bought it for a song and then put a lot of work in to. Fortunately my wife builds houses and repairs foundations for a living so she knew that in this case the fundamentals are sound instead of your standard lipstick on a pig house flipping bullshit most people are trying to pull.

We saw some places so bad my wife said she wouldn't want to have to fix it if she were being paid to do it.

The one basement wall that was repaired and would make most people walk out while making the sign of the cross if they saw the before pictures but she said the work looks like it was done properly by a company she respects and just in case she'll put in a few power braces to make sure its stabilized (a job thatd cost normal folks thousands for but will cost us a few hundred) and if it does leak we can complete the job for the cost of the diesel she'd be burning in the Kabota and an afternoon worth of time to dig up the outside, waterproof and backfill.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
A Chinese language sign could be making fun of me and I wouldn't know it. That is unacceptable.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

cowofwar posted:

A Chinese language sign could be making fun of me and I wouldn't know it. That is unacceptable.

Or potentially advertising shady illegal real estate deals like the one described upthread.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

snorch posted:

Or potentially advertising shady illegal real estate deals like the one described upthread.
Oddly everyone who speaks Chinese is a corrupt uneducated spinster so none of those people would ever report it. We must rely on the benevolent white man to protect those Chinese laborers from being swindled.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I wish every advertisement was in a non-Latin script. Much less distracting.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

etalian posted:

Don't forget that many of the new condos have substandard workmanship due to the whole housing boom.

Even worse many of them have buyer grabbing gimmicks such as rooftop pools and wall of glass window which will require expensive repairs further down the road.

Pretty much every rooftop pool is going to be closed in 10 years like all the ones in buildings from the 60's and 70's.

PT6A posted:

I like how this thread is so against home ownership, and then the minute someone points out a place that isn't in the midst of a horrible housing bubble, all the negatives everyone's listed seem to evaporate as if by magic! It's almost like the main problem is the housing bubbles themselves, not ownership...

EDIT: Just to be clear, I agree that home ownership is often a good choice in a market where houses are fairly priced. I just find it hilarious that no one brings up the maintenance costs, lack of liquidity and/or flexibility, finance charges, etc. as if those are only present in overheated markets.

A lot of people can afford the costs of owing a home at 200k that really can't at 400k. That's the major difference.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

sbaldrick posted:

A lot of people can afford the costs of owing a home at 200k that really can't at 400k 1.2 million. That's the major difference.

Fixed for Vancouver. We need to start crowdfunding real estate like the Chinese.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

McGavin posted:

Fixed for Vancouver. We need to start crowdfunding real estate like the Chinese.

You can always purchased mortgage backed securities or HELOC loanshark out as secondary mortgage lender or even purchase REITs. The market is hot, get in now now now before you are priced out forever.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

THC posted:

At least Quebec has actual rational reasons to be concerned about the preservation of their Frenchness!

Yes, they do. None of those reasons have anything to do with the languages on signs or advertisements put up by private businesses. The restrictions on sending children to non-French-language schools make a lot of sense to me. Whining endlessly about non-official signs not being sufficiently French, or forcing people to start speaking to a customer in French before English, is loving retarded. I don't and shouldn't have the legal expectation of being served in any given language at a private business, and I shouldn't have the faintest say how they want to design signs or advertisements.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

McGavin posted:

1.2 was last year. Its 1.5 now.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

People forget two things
-There is no high reward without high risk
-Don't buy in a loving bubble

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

You can buy into a bubble as long as you're a wizard who can get out before it bursts.

Everyone thinks they're wizards.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

etalian posted:

People forget two things
-There is no high reward without high risk
-Don't buy in a loving bubble

But the ad says there's zero risk. The ad says.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

But the ad says there's zero risk. The ad says.

It was only in Chinese, so the benevolent white man couldn't protect those Chinese laborers from being swindled.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Naw if it was in German or French I'd automatically try to translate it out of interest and inadvertently get advertised to.

Put all ads in 100% Chinese, Arabic, Sanskrit or whatever other moon language form of writing.

I won't get advertised at and I get to pretend I'm living the the cool cyberpunk dystopian future instead of the actual boring dystopian future. Win-win.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

Plus the house was a loving shithole when they bought it for a song and then put a lot of work in to. Fortunately my wife builds houses and repairs foundations for a living so she knew that in this case the fundamentals are sound instead of your standard lipstick on a pig house flipping bullshit most people are trying to pull.

We saw some places so bad my wife said she wouldn't want to have to fix it if she were being paid to do it.

The one basement wall that was repaired and would make most people walk out while making the sign of the cross if they saw the before pictures but she said the work looks like it was done properly by a company she respects and just in case she'll put in a few power braces to make sure its stabilized (a job thatd cost normal folks thousands for but will cost us a few hundred) and if it does leak we can complete the job for the cost of the diesel she'd be burning in the Kabota and an afternoon worth of time to dig up the outside, waterproof and backfill.

Your wife sounds cool and tough, like someone who would make a good poster around here

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I've offered her a forums account on a few occasions but she's not much of a forums person, despite being a tremendous smartass.

She does enjoy reading some of the threads here, though.

Listening to her commentary while she browsed the Groverhaus thread was a thing of beauty. As a professional she even spotted some issues nobody else in the thread even noticed.

I should have recorded it and posted it like a rifftrack.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

HookShot posted:

Also, if your condo strata fee needs money to do some sort of special assessment thing, you don't actually need to pay for it until you sell your condo.

A woman my mom works with has a condo and they need to get the roof re-done or something I can't remember exactly what, but everyone had to pay $10k to get it done. Except that a bunch of the old people living there who didn't have 10k decided to defer the payment until they sold the property and use their profits from that to pay for it, which is apparently totally legal. Except the strata people didn't have enough money in their account to pay for the roof being fixed upfront, so they don't get to have their new roof done at all.

Is this really true? I can't find anything about being able to defer special levies like that.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Vehementi posted:

Is this really true? I can't find anything about being able to defer special levies like that.

I have no idea how true it is, but that's what my mom was told by the lady in question, who really doesn't have any reason to lie as she was one of the ones who wanted to get the roof redone, because, well, it was needed.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

EvilJoven posted:

Listening to her commentary while she browsed the Groverhaus thread was a thing of beauty. As a professional she even spotted some issues nobody else in the thread even noticed.

You should because I want to hear more about how terrible groverhaus was, beyond that obvious stuff.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Aug 25, 2018

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Can't they sue and/or force you to sell?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just a lien is what they would do. Same thing that happens when you ignore fines and the like.

I think they can force a sale but for that you need to convince a judge of it. A large assessment on a pensioner would probably not be terribly convincing.

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 23, 2016

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

EvilJoven posted:

I've offered her a forums account on a few occasions but she's not much of a forums person, despite being a tremendous smartass.

She does enjoy reading some of the threads here, though.

Has she read Kasteins thread yet? I don't even construction and I shake my head at that goon, could've just built a new house by now for half the effort. Though TBF he's crazy. :allears:

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Vehementi posted:

Can't they sue and/or force you to sell?

They could try to get a court order to get you to sell, but good luck with that. It's extremely rare outside of the defaulting on a mortgage scenario, and practically impossible if it is a marital property.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rime posted:

Has she read Kasteins thread yet? I don't even construction and I shake my head at that goon, could've just built a new house by now for half the effort. Though TBF he's crazy. :allears:

I found the thread. We'll check it out later.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 23, 2016

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
So I just watched The Big Short, really entertaining. How legit was it to what really happened, and how much of that might apply to what's going on in Canada?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's a dramatization of the book by Michael Lewis. If you want to see what's dramatized check out the book, it's a good read.

The Canadian bubble is different in some ways because it doesn't involve the largest financial banks in the world, but the worst part is that we now know what economic indicators to look for a bubble, and despite many of the signs being there, no one wants to admit what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Do yourselves a favour, and read this. http://www.holypotato.net/?p=1326