Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Don Gato posted:

I'm convinced these games don't exist until BioEnchanted actively searches for them, and that retroactively causes the game to be made.

BioEnchanted please make a Golden Axe-esque game based on the movie Willow, tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

BioEnchanted please make a Golden Axe-esque game based on the movie Willow, tia.

There's already a Legend of Zelda style Willow game for the NES and an arcade 2d platformer, funnily enough.

e: the NES game has this neat little thing where when you enter combat the environment starts animating spookily

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I played Kirby's Epic yarn with my brother yesterday. It's still a super pretty game.
And there's still a sense of urgency despite the immortality thing because its horrifying watching all your beads scramble and then you and your co-op buddy go into animal instinct mode trying to get them back.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've been playing Warship Gunner 2, and I just made a ship that mounts ten 100cm deck guns as its primary armament. I cannot stop laughing, and the fact that I'm annihilating enemy ships with part of a single volley only adds to the amusement.

Sure, it used up most of the displacement allotment on a ship that's basically a battleship-sized catamaran, and sure, there's more effective loadouts I could be using with more, smaller guns. But those guns would be smaller.

I can't stop laughing at this, picture and concept both.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You could have saved some weight by omitting the engine. Just fire the guns when you want to go somewhere.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Lone Badger posted:

You could have saved some weight by omitting the engine. Just fire the guns when you want to go somewhere.

AKA: How to fly with a tank in GTA 3.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

I keep hearing about the warship gunner games are (I think they were released in North America as the Naval Ops games?). Are they actually good and fun to play, or is it a broken mess that's only redeemed by the "What the gently caress?" aspects of the ship building?

I've only played Warship Gunner 2, but it really holds up well. You can think of it as basically being an arcade naval sim crossed with an RPG levelup mechanic: beat missions, get experience, spend experiencing on unlocking new "skills" (buildable ship components), choose which skills to slot into your ship. Except that that latter step is this big interlocking system of constraints and tradeoffs. The component has to physically fit onto the ship, it has to not overlap with other components, its mass adds to your displacement (reducing your speed unless you fit more turbines/reactors, which take up their own space), it may require increasing your armor coverage which also adds to your displacement, and every ship has a different max displacement and different hull shape which can allow for different loadouts. The Mark VI Japanese battleship has lower health than the Mark V but has a higher max displacement and wider hull which makes it possible to fit three large main guns side-by-side, for example.

The arcade part of the game also holds up well. There's a campaign with a fairly shallow but non-intrusive story tacked onto it, and it can be replayed in New Game+ with alternate, more powerful enemy layouts. You get a level select, some silly bonus missions, a boss rush, etc. The postgame can get grindy as gently caress (for example, one unlockable requires destroying 999 of a ship type that shows up in quantities of at most 4 per mission), but there's not a lot of point to the grinding since there's no horrible superboss that you need the grindy unlockables for.

The biggest complaint I have about the game is that a lot of the weapons end up being of very little use. In New Game+ you unlock this big ol' pile of laser weapons, which look really cool, but unlike the main deck guns, you can only fire one of them at a time, so they have pathetic damage output. There's also very little reason to not use the biggest battleship you possibly can, which makes destroyers, cruisers, and carriers fall by the wayside pretty quickly.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Neddy Seagoon posted:

AKA: How to fly with a tank in GTA 3.

To this day, the video from the old Vice City let's play where they get into dogfights with police choppers with their flying tank is still one of my favorites. I miss when Rockstar games cheats were fun. :allears:

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

scarycave posted:

I played Kirby's Epic yarn with my brother yesterday. It's still a super pretty game.
And there's still a sense of urgency despite the immortality thing because its horrifying watching all your beads scramble and then you and your co-op buddy go into animal instinct mode trying to get them back.

I 100%'d that with my son a couple of years ago and it was absolutely delightful and charming, with the perfect amount of challenge. Yoshi's Wooly World is very much on the same wavelength, maybe a bit more difficult, but I really recommended it if you haven't played it yet.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Once I realized you could paint the helicopter purple in MGSV...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA6hkqVpqKI

Now if I could only have it trailing massive amounts of pot smoke...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pillars of Eternity 2 lets you import your saves or choose decision-packs to carry over from the first game. Normally this wouldn't be anything to get too excited about but then I noticed the final option:

Like game how could I pick anything else after that description.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

MiddleOne posted:

Pillars of Eternity 2 lets you import your saves or choose decision-packs to carry over from the first game. Normally this wouldn't be anything to get too excited about but then I noticed the final option:

That's beautiful.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I was running a mission in Assassin Creed Syndicate where you're being pursued by a bunch of horse carriages. I took the fairly logical step of shooting at the horses, rather than the carriages, and cleared up quite well. Suddenly, an achievement unlocked:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

:lol:

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

So I was running a mission in Assassin Creed Syndicate where you're being pursued by a bunch of horse carriages. I took the fairly logical step of shooting at the horses, rather than the carriages, and cleared up quite well. Suddenly, an achievement unlocked:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

:lol:

...I hadn’t even thought of this solution. I think I’m okay with that.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In Yakuza 0 the dancing minigame has you move a little blob person around on a board and tap buttons in rhythm. If you're playing Majima, your little blob person has an eyepatch just like you :3:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Randalor posted:

I keep hearing about the warship gunner games are (I think they were released in North America as the Naval Ops games?). Are they actually good and fun to play, or is it a broken mess that's only redeemed by the "What the gently caress?" aspects of the ship building?

There are Naval Ops: Warship Gunner 1 & 2, and Naval Ops: Warship Commander. Commander is a strategy game and not really as interesting.

I think they are fun games, but they are kinda broken messes at the same time. You have to do a lot of grinding for money/items to unlock ship components, and there missions that require specific components to finish, and if you don't have them, its time to grind.

But, its fun to play, and even more enjoyable to throw together some hilariously dumb ship and run around dunking on the AI.
One of the downsides is 3/4 of the things you unlock in game are worthless, since nothing competes with going with as many main guns as possible. Also if you kinda like to nerd out with WW2 ships, you can see what happens if someone made an Atlanta-class cruiser as a battleship. I think I had something like 40 dual mount 5" guns on it, and with later upgrades, I could fire about 2 rounds a second from each gun.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

MiddleOne posted:

The only downside is that three of your party members in PoE2 are originally from 1, and so you lose them and all their party interactions.

Losing Aloth is honestly not a big deal though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Len posted:

Y'all don't remember the PS2 era and it's millions of shoverware games? Like I haven't been surprised by the fact a single one of those games exists it's more surprising that someone is playing them. The real question: are they actually good games or is Bio just so broken they seem good?

PS2 shovelware, tie-ins and budget basket games contain some of the most fun I've had playing games. And before you say it's because you were a kid (and I was) a lot of them still hold up after all these years.

Bioenchanted sure as hell wouldnt be posting about them if they weren't, so I take his post history as vindication.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

The Labyrinth adventure game was pretty cool for the time, it even does a Wizard of Oz thing where it starts out as a text adventure and then becomes graphical when Jareth shows up and whisks you away to the labyrinth.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

The Labyrinth adventure game was pretty cool for the time, it even does a Wizard of Oz thing where it starts out as a text adventure and then becomes graphical when Jareth shows up and whisks you away to the labyrinth.
It was tough, too--I don't think I ever beat it. Thank God for the Internet, where I've seen playthroughs/endings of so many games I never quite got through back in the day.

Here's a SSLP from the archive if anyone's interested: https://lparchive.org/Labyrinth/

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I was at Goodwill just now and there was a copy of Myst in it's original box with presumably all the packins as well as little post it's sticking out of the book in the box. I miss those days.

And now I own a copy of Myst that I can't actually play on anything

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Len posted:

I was at Goodwill just now and there was a copy of Myst in it's original box with presumably all the packins as well as little post it's sticking out of the book in the box. I miss those days.

I have a Windows 3.1 install set up through DOSbox just for Batman and Robin Cartoon Maker that would probably work for that. I can give you a link if you have PMs

Edit: also Batman and Robin Cartoon Maker owns and I'm sad it'll never get re-released

Convex has a new favorite as of 23:40 on May 12, 2018

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

You can get Myst on your phone. I have it. I don't think I've made any progress because I've never made any progress in Myst. But one day. I swear I'll finish this game. Or at least solve a puzzle.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Convex posted:

I have a Windows 3.1 install set up through DOSbox just for Batman and Robin Cartoon Maker that would probably work for that. I can give you a link if you have PMs

Edit: also Batman and Robin Cartoon Maker owns and I'm sad it'll never get re-released

I don't have PMs but my computer doesn't have a CD drive either so I couldn't do anything with the thing even with the setup. I'll probably just get it from Steam or GoG

Edit: getting it home it's not just the stuff originally in the box but also the Official Strategy Guide

Edit 2: which is setup like the old GfG and KQ guides where the guide part is written in a narrative to walk you through. Neat.

Len has a new favorite as of 00:39 on May 13, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

It was tough, too--I don't think I ever beat it. Thank God for the Internet, where I've seen playthroughs/endings of so many games I never quite got through back in the day.

Here's a SSLP from the archive if anyone's interested: https://lparchive.org/Labyrinth/

Wow, I legit thought that was a Ducktails MMO style joke.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Having reinstalled Morrowind again, I'm loving some of the little fluff touches in this game. Like how House Telvanni, a member of which you have to visit during the main story, are such wizard supremacist assholes that they build their houses without stairs and if you can't fly, well then gently caress you you not-flying peasant.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
Or if you had high enough acrobatics and little enough carry weight you could just jump up there and shove it right in their smug magical faces.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

bewilderment posted:

The only downside is that three of your party members in PoE2 are originally from 1, and so you lose them and all their party interactions.

Losing Aloth is honestly not a big deal though.

Like I remember any of those losers anyway. I think there's the guy with the shield and crazy monk dude? Those are the two I even tangentially remember because man were they forgettable.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Convex posted:

Please post Batman and Robin cartoons.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
This seems to be an unpopular opinion, but I like Kratos in the new God of War. He's not a great dad, but he's trying. He's harsh with Atreus, but he's trying to prepare him for life, and trying to leave his past behind him. He's actively trying to be a better person (not that he'd have to actually try very hard), but the life he'd chosen prior makes that difficult.

I also like the axe. Throwing it and having it return during combat is satisfying, even if the combat itself isn't the best.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

This seems to be an unpopular opinion,

I haven't heard anyone disagree with you.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

rydiafan posted:

I haven't heard anyone disagree with you.

The thread opposite of this one was very vocal in their dislike of Kratos. And of "Dad Games" in general.

Then again, I've got a kid, so maybe there's some extra resonance there. Bioshock 2 was the same way for me.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
There’s definitely a group out there who thinks Kratos went Entirely Too Far in the original games and they will never forgive him, but considering it’s a video game and not real life it’s a little silly. And finding this kind of silly, by the way, means I am extremely angry about it. :v:

Actual thread content: Killing Floor VR has an easter egg and a trophy unlock from jerkin’ off a fire axe. GOTY. :allears:

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Dewgy posted:

Actual thread content: Killing Floor VR has an easter egg and a trophy unlock from jerkin’ off a fire axe. GOTY. :allears:
Is Killing Floor VR any good?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Dewgy posted:

There’s definitely a group out there who thinks Kratos went Entirely Too Far in the original games and they will never forgive him, but considering it’s a video game and not real life it’s a little silly. And finding this kind of silly, by the way, means I am extremely angry about it. :v:

I mean I dunno if it's controversial to think that Kratos is a bad person. That was like the entire point of the first game and having not played the third I dunno what note the whole series ended on. I like Nu GOW as far as Kratos being kinda lovely but still having likable elements.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Glagha posted:

I mean I dunno if it's controversial to think that Kratos is a bad person. That was like the entire point of the first game and having not played the third I dunno what note the whole series ended on. I like Nu GOW as far as Kratos being kinda lovely but still having likable elements.

Oh yeah, I mean he was entirely a total rear end in a top hat, it was kind of the point to show how far from his humanity he was, I just don’t get the whole “hold a serious grudge against a written character for their actions to the point where you can’t even try the sequel without finding yourself upset about it” mentality.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Is Killing Floor VR any good?

It has some odd quirks due to being kind of poorly explained and is lighter on content than I’d like, but it’s still my favorite VR shooter so far. Even if it could use more weapon variety, Zed killing in VR is extremely satisfying.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

This seems to be an unpopular opinion, but I like Kratos in the new God of War. He's not a great dad, but he's trying. He's harsh with Atreus, but he's trying to prepare him for life, and trying to leave his past behind him. He's actively trying to be a better person (not that he'd have to actually try very hard), but the life he'd chosen prior makes that difficult.

I actually like his characterization too, it's well-realized and naturally follows on from the ending of 3.

But the result of the development is that a character who was striking and unique for his monstrosity is turned into yet another Fuzzy Gruff Dad Learning To Parent.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Byzantine posted:

I actually like his characterization too, it's well-realized and naturally follows on from the ending of 3.

But the result of the development is that a character who was striking and unique for his monstrosity is turned into yet another Fuzzy Gruff Dad Learning To Parent.

I'm cool with that, but I understand why others wouldn't be

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Spy_Guy posted:

Please post Batman and Robin cartoons.

Man I haven't used it in a while, gimme a story suggestion and I'll try and give it a shot though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Rise to Ruins: Wild doggos can show up to your village and basically decide they're joining the village and claim a person - so now I have a cute lil pixel-y doggo running around town.

....and this doggo helps out around town by following her owner around, being social with the other villagers, and by balancing items on her head and ferrying them around.