Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Naramyth posted:

The demon book looks good if for nothing else having the bloodletter bomb and nurglings to control the middle. There are a bunch of plaguebearer synergies that look pretty scary but ultimately fragile since it's all on characters to buff them. Splashing in a khone demon prince with that axe looks pretty loving good too. Otherwiswe I think the power of chaos is in the CSM book with alpha leigion cultists, oblits, and demon princes . It also seems much more forward.com than the imperium gunlines you are playing. I'm looking pretty hard at CSM cultist town next season since I think some princes and such with a million cultists is like assassintown but better.

Speaking of assassintown I'm all packed for LVO and am going to be out the door in an hour or so. PM me if you are in town and want to get a beer. I'll do my best. It's weird using my pack air when it's not filled to the brim with battlecompany or demon summoning models. Since I'm playing an exclusively infantry based army the whole thing takes up like a quarter of my big case.

As a layperson when it comes to competitive play even I noticed that the Daemons Codex felt more like "and heres some auxiliary forces for your CSM/DG/TS" than its own thing. Of course that works out perfectly as someone in the midst of getting together his Death Guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Thanks man, that's basically what I thought. Chaos soup is attractive and I already have the beginnings of it too, so might be a strong option.

Where on earth is anyone talking about this stuff these days? I feel like I'm totally disconnected from any kind of discussion of competitive 40k.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Corrode posted:

Thanks man, that's basically what I thought. Chaos soup is attractive and I already have the beginnings of it too, so might be a strong option.

Where on earth is anyone talking about this stuff these days? I feel like I'm totally disconnected from any kind of discussion of competitive 40k.

I guess here? LVO seems like it'll be the first "major" tournament so we'll get some good info on what works and what doesn't in 8th with all the various changes.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008

Senjuro posted:

What's the best YouTube channel if I want to watch some good matches being played? Despite being a fan of 40k video games, books and mini painting for over a decade I've never actually played the tabletop, maybe this will motivate me.

Frontline Gaming do some decent match reports. They are more tournament focused than fluff if that is your thing. They also do a good job of not having 2 hours of shaky cam footage of every single die being rolled and actually have an over-table camera view so you get a better idea of what is happening.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So, the Eldar Transfer sheet - uh, what do all these symbols mean? I found a place online that listed all the symbols, but some of them just say "Eldar Vehicle Icon".

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I guess here? LVO seems like it'll be the first "major" tournament so we'll get some good info on what works and what doesn't in 8th with all the various changes.

Except NOVA, BAO, SOCAL Open, Renegade, ATC, ETC, Iron Halo...

There is a 100 person event a month it seems like. We went most of the season under 8th. Only really missing Adepticon (which wasn't sold out) and LVO.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

AnEdgelord posted:

As a layperson when it comes to competitive play even I noticed that the Daemons Codex felt more like "and heres some auxiliary forces for your CSM/DG/TS" than its own thing. Of course that works out perfectly as someone in the midst of getting together his Death Guard.

Yeah, I'm pretty thankful that Chaos soup is a decent route at this point to counter the absolutely insane level of options for Imperial lists. I've been eyeing getting my Nurgle daemons back on the table, if anything just for a solid backline/deep-strike while Death Guard advance. I'll probably finally have to pick up a box of Nurglings at some point soon, but that's okay because everyone needs more Nurglings in their life.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Naramyth posted:

Except NOVA, BAO, SOCAL Open, Renegade, ATC, ETC, Iron Halo...

There is a 100 person event a month it seems like. We went most of the season under 8th. Only really missing Adepticon (which wasn't sold out) and LVO.

I get that there are other events, but between Chapter Approved, all the codex releases, and the beta rules now is going to be a very interesting time. I mean I barely pay attention so I could easily be wrong, but that's my opinion on things.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Lungboy posted:

I love these ham horror stories, they make Rainbow Gandalf that had to bring his carer with him to the local store seem almost normal.
I wish to hear the story of Rainbow Gandalf.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Groetgaffel posted:

:same:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:munch:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Groetgaffel posted:

There's not much to tell really. At my local store (sadly now defunct) he used to turn up most nights, wearing a long hooded crochet robe thing with a hood, carrying a 2m long quarterstaff and always accompanied by a carer. I never played him as he played WFB/LOTR i think while I was playing lots of Malifaux and a bit of 40K at the time. My mate used to play him though from time to time and apparently he was the sort that would roll his dice behind his hand so you couldn't see the result and then just pick up loads of "successful" rolls. I think he lost once and had to be taken home by the carer as he started making a scene.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You can't just namedrop something like "Rainbow Gandalf" and not elaborate.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
WTF is a "carer"? Did the guy have special needs or something? I can't really blame someone for whatever weird stuff they do if their situation is so bad that they require external assistance to function. I wouldn't want to actually play against them, but I can't blame them.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

WTF is a "carer"? Did the guy have special needs or something?
Pretty much yes.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, 'carer' is the title for anyone, formal or informal, who assists a person with special needs here.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm glad he's at least able to get out and socialize then.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I had a dude that walked into the old LA Battle Bunker wearing a loving Katana on his back. No one kicked him out.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I don't really have any horror stories. I can say before I joined the military I embodied a lot of the stereotypes that come with people who play Traditional Games, or who would identify as gamers. This tends to make me simultaneously, highly critical, and sympathetic to people who have these "flaws". I usually try to get a feel if the person in question has a genuinely good character that is simply masked by social awkwardness and confidence hang-ups, or whether they are basically a person who bitches on the internet about how girls hate "nice guys" like him.

I'm unsure if the later group may of been part of the former at one time, and simply given themselves over to their own self-loathing, or failed some sort of critical self-evaluation moment that causes them to blame everyone else for their issues as opposed to thinking they might have problems.

I can say for years after entering the military I had a HARD time stepping foot into your local gamestore. After I got out and removed the stick from my rear end, I began to show up more often, largely because a game like 40k requires you to be physically present with your opponents. Now I tend to take the view that when I show up to a game store that these are "my people" regardless of how weird some of them might be, and that if nothing else I can provide a decent example on how to act less strangely.

Before I moved to where I currently live I was so desperate to find a group to play with that I would drive 45 minutes to a nearby "city" (a place with a population large enough to warrant its own game store) where the only 40k group I could find was basically all kids in high school. None of them were particularly terrible, in the sense that I was no less of a skinny nerd at that age. I couldn't help but wonder if I was as equally obnoxious about whatever I was into at the time than the kid who just couldn't shut the hell up about the Blood Angels and his custom fanfic characters.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Having worked with high school kids for years I can assure you that you absolutely were that obnoxious.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Artum posted:

What's the custodian giving you that Azrael and the deredeo aren't?

Apparently in the codex he provides more benefits than in the index. Specifically he is taken for a 9" bubble of -1 to hit. (Haven't seen the codex before, mind you, going off of the FTN Codes overview) with this guy and the Shroud stacking, I will have a -2 to hit for the entire army.

I'm also torn between the missile launcher and the shield generator for the dread. Is having a backup invul save bubble (primary rather than backup for my 2 vehicles since Azrael doesn't affect them) worth more than a missile launcher rack?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

jadebullet posted:

Apparently in the codex he provides more benefits than in the index. Specifically he is taken for a 9" bubble of -1 to hit. (Haven't seen the codex before, mind you, going off of the FTN Codes overview) with this guy and the Shroud stacking, I will have a -2 to hit for the entire army.

In the codex its a new unit and can provide a -1 to hit for other custodes units, only benefits you can have one give non-custodes units is a 5++ and reroll morale, but with the deredeo and azrael you've already got 2 different invulnerable save bubbles.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Ah, drat. For some reason I thought that the -1 was Imperium coded. Oh well, I will replace him with more hellblasters

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 25, 2018

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Uroboros posted:

I don't really have any horror stories. I can say before I joined the military I embodied a lot of the stereotypes that come with people who play Traditional Games, or who would identify as gamers. This tends to make me simultaneously, highly critical, and sympathetic to people who have these "flaws". I usually try to get a feel if the person in question has a genuinely good character that is simply masked by social awkwardness and confidence hang-ups, or whether they are basically a person who bitches on the internet about how girls hate "nice guys" like him.

I'm unsure if the later group may of been part of the former at one time, and simply given themselves over to their own self-loathing, or failed some sort of critical self-evaluation moment that causes them to blame everyone else for their issues as opposed to thinking they might have problems.

I can say for years after entering the military I had a HARD time stepping foot into your local gamestore. After I got out and removed the stick from my rear end, I began to show up more often, largely because a game like 40k requires you to be physically present with your opponents. Now I tend to take the view that when I show up to a game store that these are "my people" regardless of how weird some of them might be, and that if nothing else I can provide a decent example on how to act less strangely.

Before I moved to where I currently live I was so desperate to find a group to play with that I would drive 45 minutes to a nearby "city" (a place with a population large enough to warrant its own game store) where the only 40k group I could find was basically all kids in high school. None of them were particularly terrible, in the sense that I was no less of a skinny nerd at that age. I couldn't help but wonder if I was as equally obnoxious about whatever I was into at the time than the kid who just couldn't shut the hell up about the Blood Angels and his custom fanfic characters.

This is a good post. As much as it's easy and fun to sneer at the more awkward element of our sub-culture (and it really is fun), at the end of the day most people actually are okay. Shyness, or a plain old lack of social experience, can both make people over-compensate and act strangely. Given a chance and maybe some gentle correction, they'll probably turn out to be nice enough.

I'm not advocating giving chances to people who smell like excrement though. There's a limit.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

This is a good post. As much as it's easy and fun to sneer at the more awkward element of our sub-culture (and it really is fun), at the end of the day most people actually are okay. Shyness, or a plain old lack of social experience, can both make people over-compensate and act strangely. Given a chance and maybe some gentle correction, they'll probably turn out to be nice enough.

I'm not advocating giving chances to people who smell like excrement though. There's a limit.

This is primarily why I attend Adepticon, so TheSexCannon can learn how to act like a proper human being, and accept that no one cares about Sportsball, or how many home runs Tom Brady has...

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
I tended to only play with friends who got me into the game back in 2nd/3rd ED. Once tho one of my friends and I decided to try out a tournament held at the FLGS. This started my prejudice against FLGS gamers.

First opponent was a Space Wolves player. His models were unprimed, unassembled, and in some cases armed with laspistols and autopistols (they used to be part of the Space Marine assault weapons sprue for some reason). I show up with a fully painted Thousand Sons/CSM featuring many, many custom conversions including a scratch-built Lord of Change built out of two Great Eagles, the old Nagash model, and an assload of sculpted greenstuff.

As I'm pulling models out of my case, dude is talking madd poo poo. How Space Mutts are the best, Chaos sucks so much, and how he's gonna win easily. Getting kind of annoyed, I just point out the sad look of his models. Asking him why none are fully assembled, why some have guardsmen pistols, etc. He goes off on how painting and converting are a waste of time, how the real hobby is the game and that's all that matters and that I'm dumb for having a cool-looking themed army.

During deployment it dawns on me that this dipshit barely understand many of the rules. He tries to call fowl on my infiltrating Veterans but I show him the rule in the codex, then they're overpowered all of a sudden. Still, Chaos sucks and Leghumpers rule and he lets me know all through deployment.

The game starts, and from turn 1 his bad day starts. I'm wiping out whole squads of his like nothing. He's calling fowl on all my poo poo, and I show him the rules. He tries poo poo and I have to show him rules because he's getting things wrong. My LoC and Chaos Lord charge into his dreadnaught who magically becomes Bjorn the Fell-Handed even tho special characters weren't allowed in the tournament. I let it slide because I'm done arguing with this guy. Bjorn gets gibbed, and my boys consolidate into his last surviving unit who then breaks and flees off the table.

I :smug: my way outside for a smoke while my opponent silently packs up his poo poo. I mention how my Chaos Lord will be rewarded for his actions on this day.

The next week at the store I run into him again, and I show him the new back banner added to my Chaos Lord.

(apologies for the small image, I lost the bigger one)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Ok, sanity-check time. I want an excuse to collect/narratively tie-together Guard, AdMech, and Custodes so I need to figure out if this is too snowflakey:

An Explorator fleet and a rogue trader fleet are battling over an Archaeotech MacGuffin that ends up being a portal to earth left over from the Emperor's webway project back in the M30's (or a precursor to that?) and Custodes emerge.

Too snowflake?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Custodes sent to recover ancient tech by Guilliman and the guys they take to hold their baby oil.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Thundercloud posted:

Custodes sent to recover ancient tech by Guilliman and the guys they take to hold their baby oil.

This is taking place in the Koronus Expanse around 816.M41 though. Pre-Guilliman (or Post-/Pre-Guilliman really?)

(It also means the Custodes can be Gold/Black rather than the current Gold/Red.)

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 25, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Schadenboner posted:

Ok, sanity-check time. I want an excuse to collect/narratively tie-together Guard, AdMech, and Custodes so I need to figure out if this is too snowflakey:

An Explorator fleet and a rogue trader fleet are battling over an Archaeotech MacGuffin that ends up being a portal to earth left over from the Emperor's webway project back in the M30's (or a precursor to that?) and Custodes emerge.

Too snowflake?

The webway to Earth makes it a bit off.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The webway to Earth makes it a bit off.

Yeah, but: Custodes. :saddowns:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jadebullet posted:

Ah, drat. For some reason I thought that the -1 was Imperium coded. Oh well, I will replace him with more hellblasters

Consider some Aggressors; they're extremely points efficient against hordes and the ability to reroll 1s when standing still is really efficient. If you add a Lieutenant then you can make it a brigade for more CP.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Schadenboner posted:

Yeah, but: Custodes. :saddowns:

Custodes are the elite of the elite, they can go wherever they want. Here's an idea; the Custodes and AdMech are working together in pursuit of archaeotech that they have reason to believe could repair the Golden Throne. The Guardsmen are there to provide support and have no idea that if the expedition finds what they are looking for then they will all be "processed" into murder servitors to protect the secret.

Edit: So basically what was already suggested.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Bit of a longshot but does anyone have two Plague Marine Blight Launchers they'd be willing to trade/sell?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Lungboy posted:

There's not much to tell really. At my local store (sadly now defunct) he used to turn up most nights, wearing a long hooded crochet robe thing with a hood, carrying a 2m long quarterstaff and always accompanied by a carer. I never played him as he played WFB/LOTR i think while I was playing lots of Malifaux and a bit of 40K at the time. My mate used to play him though from time to time and apparently he was the sort that would roll his dice behind his hand so you couldn't see the result and then just pick up loads of "successful" rolls. I think he lost once and had to be taken home by the carer as he started making a scene.

Here's a protip people. Count your dice in front of your opponent, roll in the open, and only pull out misses so they see all the hits you rolled. I occasionally pull hits, but pretty much always ask beforehand. Your opponent knowing you aren't cheating helps everyone have fun.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Custodes are the elite of the elite, they can go wherever they want. Here's an idea; the Custodes and AdMech are working together in pursuit of archaeotech that they have reason to believe could repair the Golden Throne. The Guardsmen are there to provide support and have no idea that if the expedition finds what they are looking for then they will all be "processed" into murder servitors to protect the secret.

Edit: So basically what was already suggested.

My understanding is that, prior to the Guilliman Regency they pretty much had stayed cooped up on earth since the HH or shortly thereafter.

With the new codex that might be oldfluff at this point though?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

My understanding is that, prior to the Guilliman Regency they pretty much had stayed cooped up on earth since the HH or shortly thereafter.

With the new codex that might be oldfluff at this point though?

I could of swore in the Talons of Emperor booklet it mentioned that they carried out missions in secret to protect Segmentum Solar.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm dressing up some Mk IV Marines as Sterngard Vets. I should do two squads of 5 for the second sergeant correct? They're all just rolling with Special Issue Bolters, is any of the Sargeant equipment worth having?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, they had their own stuff going on. Quite apart from kidnapping chaos marines to LARP Deadly Prey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kommisar
Jan 2, 2007

One of the last thing to assemble before I can focus on just painting for adepticon. I knew I'd find a use for the skull.