Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The M62 makes all the right noises. My E60 was awesome in its on right but it never did sound as good.

God I need to buy a beater 540i

one of us...one of us....one of us....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Any of you 540 guys actually track your real world mileage? Using fuelly results it would cost me at least 1500 to fuel one for a year vs my old 330. But I also got 3 mpg better than the fuelly averages over the time I owned the car. 540s are like the only cheap manual BMWs around me right now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My real world on the last tank was 18.7mpg, but that tank was entirely city driving, and the rear wheels probably did 10km more than the fronts because i'm an rear end in a top hat. If i tried, i could drive across the city without the needle going over 10L/100km which is 23.5mpg.

If you keep your foot out of it you can get decent fuel economy in the city, but you won't keep your foot out of it. I've got an auto though.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 10, 2014

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Crustashio posted:

Any of you 540 guys actually track your real world mileage? Using fuelly results it would cost me at least 1500 to fuel one for a year vs my old 330. But I also got 3 mpg better than the fuelly averages over the time I owned the car. 540s are like the only cheap manual BMWs around me right now.

Curious what your 330 got. I do 99% highway driving with my e46 325 touring with a no-fairing thule and gears that=80@~3600rpm in 5th and I'm averaging 22.1.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
My 330i/5spd was 27.2 US mpg, 6 speed would have made that even higher. My old e36 328is was 26.8. I do a lot of highway, at least 75% of my driving. My 2.0 golf gets only gets 28 which makes me really want to sell it and get a fun BMW again. If I could average ~22-23 out of a 540 I'd consider it.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Powershift posted:

My real world on the last tank was 18.7mpg, but that tank was entirely city driving, and the rear wheels probably did 10km more than the fronts because i'm an rear end in a top hat. If i tried, i could drive across the city without the needle going over 10L/100km which is 23.5mpg.

If you keep your foot out of it you can get decent fuel economy in the city, but you won't keep your foot out of it. I've got an auto though.

Mine gets 21.4mpg on average a week when I am using the cruise control primarily (14mi mixed interstate/surface street driving each way to work/home).

When I decide I want to drive the thing, that quickly drops down to 17ish.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
my 2002 E46 330 settled in at 24.8 mpg on a few years of Fuelly tracking. It could get up to 30 mpg mildly cruising 70mph on the highway in 5th gear. My 2013 535 6-speed stick gets up to 31 mpg but gets its rear end kicked in town so it's settled around 22 mpg mixed.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
gently caress. The tall gears out back are really killing me, then.

Hopefully I'll be moving in a few months so I don't have a 53 mile commute and can *hopefully!* just use MARTA and let the wagon be a mountain carver/lake commuter/grocery hauler.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

the lifetime average is 26.8 mpg in my 2002 330ci, mostly on the highway as well. On tanks with mostly city driving I will see something like 23 mpg, which isn't too bad.

As for theoretical averages, I could probably get 18 mpg in an E60 M5, so there! :q: (no I couldn't)

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Another quick question, this time about an E30. Pretty much replacing everything in front of the engine, but before I pull the timing belt off, I checked the timing marks on my '89 325i. The Bentley manual/everything online shows that you should line up the O|T mark on the side of the crank pulley to the mark on the lower timing cover. This leaves the cam sprocket about half a tooth off, maybe not even that much. However there's also an arrow on the face of the crank pulley that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere, just a bit offset from the O|T marking. When the arrow lined up with the lower timing cover mark, this leaves the cam sprocket lined up with its mark on the head. So my question is this: do I line the lower timing case mark up with the arrow or the O|T mark on the crank pulley? Does it really matter that much if the difference in cam position is as tiny as it is?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Both of my 5ers averaged 24 ish with mixed 60/40 hwy/city driving with at least one hard launch on each tank.

I did squeak out 29 on a long drive though. Not to completely quote Clarkson but "it's not what you drive but how you drive it". And its fairly true, I manage 17 in a Yukon XL Denali with the 6.0 and AWD. And squeezed 18 out of my old P38 Rover.

Plus I'm saving the planet. I'm doing less environmental damage with my Rovers than a Prius :smug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrChips posted:

the lifetime average is 26.8 mpg in my 2002 330ci, mostly on the highway as well. On tanks with mostly city driving I will see something like 23 mpg, which isn't too bad.

As for theoretical averages, I could probably get 18 mpg in an E60 M5, so there! :q: (no I couldn't)

Hah, that made me look it up and the V10 M5 is rated at 11 city/17 highway, the same as the Lamborghini Veneno, worse than an aventador.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Plus I'm saving the planet. I'm doing less environmental damage with my Rovers than a Prius :smug:

But how much damage does the flatbed do?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MrChips posted:

But how much damage does the flatbed do?

They are diesel :smug:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
First week of ownership with the 540i, the obc is claiming 20.2mpg (cluster display is busted, no odo), just looked at my commute and it is 70% city, and I usually drive it like a dick at least once each way.

2 nights ago I surprised the poo poo out of a 350z rev up with rimps, HIDz, and aero. He was so sad he refused to pass me on the freeway after our little jaunt.

Also this thing needs an LSD. What good is all that power torque when it sucks in the rain? Both my volvos have lockers and I seriously miss being able to hang the tail out.

I love this car. It also needs the euro m3 shifter because F the 2-4-6 shifts. New rear window reg is getting installed tomorrow morning, and it looks like the front passenger one is starting to go. I guess that means the car likes me haha

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

That's like, 1/2 of an ABS module(sorry cornholio, on the plus side you read the codes before throwing $200 worth of parts at it to no avail)

I'll almost certainly throw it at Module Master at some point. My plan is to fix the Volvo's module and drive it through the winter, and at some point fix the 540. $300 to fix it with a 5-year warranty and no recoding, yes please.

As an aside, how do your 540s shift? Mine is a box of rocks on a good day, though at 182k miles I imagine the synchros are mostly make-believe these days.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Powershift posted:

Hah, that made me look it up and the V10 M5 is rated at 11 city/17 highway, the same as the Lamborghini Veneno, worse than an aventador.

In my 2008 M6 I get between 10.5 - 13.5 mpg around town depending on how much fun I'm having and I squeezed 19.5 mpg out of it on a 2500 mi road trip last spring.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

T-Square posted:

Another quick question, this time about an E30. Pretty much replacing everything in front of the engine, but before I pull the timing belt off, I checked the timing marks on my '89 325i. The Bentley manual/everything online shows that you should line up the O|T mark on the side of the crank pulley to the mark on the lower timing cover. This leaves the cam sprocket about half a tooth off, maybe not even that much. However there's also an arrow on the face of the crank pulley that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere, just a bit offset from the O|T marking. When the arrow lined up with the lower timing cover mark, this leaves the cam sprocket lined up with its mark on the head. So my question is this: do I line the lower timing case mark up with the arrow or the O|T mark on the crank pulley? Does it really matter that much if the difference in cam position is as tiny as it is?

I just did all of this on my eta and I aligned the cam sprocket arrow (which was really hard to see at first so I painted it for the next time I do the belt) to the mark on the head and it's been running fine so far

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I have a 2003 330 convertible and I'm having a weird problem today.

My red oil pressure light came on when I was getting lunch. I was at a stop light and it came on so I pulled over as soon as I could but as soon as I got moving from the light it went off again. I checked the oil but my oil level is perfectly fine. I drove it 10 mins or so home and noticed that it consistently came on when I was stopped, flickered a lot when I was moving very slowly, and was off completely when I was moving.

What could be causing this, if my oil level is fine? Is it probably safe to drive to the mechanic or should I have it towed? If I drive, I will probably run into at least 6 or 7 stop lights.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

SuperDucky posted:

Curious what your 330 got. I do 99% highway driving with my e46 325 touring with a no-fairing thule and gears that=80@~3600rpm in 5th and I'm averaging 22.1.

My 330ci 6MT will get 30+ mpg on a highway roadtrip at 75-80mph, but around the very hilly city and all the start stop I'm lucky to get 20mpg. If I keep my foot out of it I can eek out 22-23mpg city but that requires a driving style that makes grandma look like a speed demon.

And 18 inch wheels with grippy 245 rears probably isn't doing my city mpg any favors.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 10, 2014

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
On my 325i ever once in a while while driving I get a charging malfunction warning and the battery light pops up. Then it goes away after like 30 seconds. This happens like once a week lately is my car just being stupid or do I need to look into something?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Guru Yaekob posted:

On my 325i ever once in a while while driving I get a charging malfunction warning and the battery light pops up. Then it goes away after like 30 seconds. This happens like once a week lately is my car just being stupid or do I need to look into something?

How old is your battery?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Stefan Prodan posted:

I have a 2003 330 convertible and I'm having a weird problem today.

My red oil pressure light came on when I was getting lunch. I was at a stop light and it came on so I pulled over as soon as I could but as soon as I got moving from the light it went off again. I checked the oil but my oil level is perfectly fine. I drove it 10 mins or so home and noticed that it consistently came on when I was stopped, flickered a lot when I was moving very slowly, and was off completely when I was moving.

What could be causing this, if my oil level is fine? Is it probably safe to drive to the mechanic or should I have it towed? If I drive, I will probably run into at least 6 or 7 stop lights.

Typically, either a bad oil pressure sender or oil pump problems.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Needless to say get it looked at or do it your self asap. The trigger for the low pressure light is pretty low if I remember correctly. I'd change the sensor before driving it again. If that doesn't fix it I wouldn't drive it till there's a new pump in it. Also if it's a manual and making pressure at higher rpm you could just keep a little gas in it while you're stopped to keep the rpm/pressure up.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
So I've been meaning to post about my new Poormobile:

2001 330Ci 5-speed. Sport package, fully loaded. It even has the 4:3 Nav system which is basically useless at this point. Bought it at the beginning of summer with ~103k miles on it and in great shape. The PO even paid to get the broken rear springs fixed when it showed up during the PPI. Got a stack of records from his time with it and was able to call the dealer and get most of the rest. GDCS checks out, the CCV and oil filter housing gasket have been replaced, tires had 2000 miles on them, battery is a year old, the convertible top pump was replaced to the tune of $2500 just last year, and alternator was replaced recently. I replaced the fuel pump shortly after I bought it because it was a little whiny. Also changed the fluids and fuel filter. The exterior is very good and the interior is "good". No rips or tears but the sun has faded the leather a bit. The PO did redo the leather on the seat bolsters too. PO bought an '87 Porsche and his wife made him sell a car.

This is my 5th BMW and will be my DD. I've been driving a Camry Hybrid for the past 3 years after storing my E30 and it's good to be driving a BMW again. My first was a 2001 330i and I always regret selling that car so it's also good to be back in an E46. I've sold the Camry and I'm also going to be selling my E30 318iS if any goons are interested. I have every record since the car was new and it has been well cared for.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
How much for the E30? I might be.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

revmoo posted:

How much for the E30? I might be.

I was hoping to get 4k for it. It's a non sunroof car with a 4.10 LSD. Red with tan interior. No rust save for a small bit under the battery tray, which is common. The diff is a bit whiny but I have a second 4.10 LSD I was planning on swapping in. My plan was to pull it out and start driving it again so I've addressed some issues including rebuilding all the calipers, replacing a leaky clutch slave, changing fluids, belts, etc. It's not perfect but it doesn't need much.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'd have to see some pics but I'm entertaining the idea.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

revmoo posted:

I'd have to see some pics but I'm entertaining the idea.

https://www.dropbox.com/l/c4X3bvNG0yfN7derVlonqo

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

That's a really good looking little car.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
Is there a benefit to getting a Cobb AP vs a JB4 for an N54 motor? I have had an AP before for my WRX and I rarely used any feature on it other than logging the car periodically. I'm putting together a cart for servicing the AT and I'm going to throw new plugs in since the dealer records don't specifically say that they did it at 45k. Car has 60k on it now.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Aflicted posted:

Is there a benefit to getting a Cobb AP vs a JB4 for an N54 motor? I have had an AP before for my WRX and I rarely used any feature on it other than logging the car periodically. I'm putting together a cart for servicing the AT and I'm going to throw new plugs in since the dealer records don't specifically say that they did it at 45k. Car has 60k on it now.

Cobb is easier to install and you can get dyno tunes with it. JB4 has more goodies that go with it, you can run a methanol injection system straight off the JB4, and it is cheaper. I have both, I use the cobb for fuel mapping and JB4 for boost control. But for a bolt on car I would probably get the Cobb since they make around the same HP increase. You might get another 10 or so HP with a dyno tune over the JB4 though.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Cross posting from the misc chat thread
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/4706539895.html

Taking bets on how long this lasts before it pukes random parts. Beater 7=best 7

I kind of want to red neck it out. Dual chrome megaphone exhaust tips, obnoxiously large antenna, maybe a Calvin sticker peeling on a mercedes star.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Very nice.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

maybe a Calvin sticker peeling on a mercedes star.
This is a must.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Cross posting from the misc chat thread
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/4706539895.html

Taking bets on how long this lasts before it pukes random parts. Beater 7=best 7

I kind of want to red neck it out. Dual chrome megaphone exhaust tips, obnoxiously large antenna, maybe a Calvin sticker peeling on a mercedes star.

Or... just drive it unironically because it's an awesome, low mileage, classic car.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

doogle posted:

Cobb is easier to install and you can get dyno tunes with it. JB4 has more goodies that go with it, you can run a methanol injection system straight off the JB4, and it is cheaper. I have both, I use the cobb for fuel mapping and JB4 for boost control. But for a bolt on car I would probably get the Cobb since they make around the same HP increase. You might get another 10 or so HP with a dyno tune over the JB4 though.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't mind the install of the JB4 at all so that part doesn't bother me. I thought the boys on bimmerboost had come up with a way to back end flash maps to the car? It read to me similar to the romraider open source stuff for Subarus, but maybe I am misinterpreting it. I haven't looked into it too deeply since I'm not really sure I'll ever go that route, but the option is nice. I feel like I'm missing something in the value proposition for paying $900 for an AP when the JB4 provides similar power. I think the E85 blending will be the kicker for me though.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

3443lbs isnt that similar in weight to das volks e92 m3 that had basically no options? interesting.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

e: every time I spend a couple hours googling things and then post a question I find an answer to that question after another ten minutes googling.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Oct 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

coolskillrex remix posted:

3443lbs isnt that similar in weight to das volks e92 m3 that had basically no options? interesting.

80lbs heavier to be exact.