Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Joramun posted:

At least take us out to dinner first. We aren't just some floozies.

Sophia and Joramun supped on chargrilled cheeseburgers with lettuce and relish, thin-cut french fries in lashings of salt, crispy battered nuggets of fresh chicken and a McFlurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Sophia posted:

Every single person in this thread would go to bed for nothing more than a wink, a smile and a heartfelt reading of a Game of Bones excerpt and you know it!
That's assuming most of us aren't some horrifically mutilated eunuchs like Varys and Theon who are not terribly entertaining between the sheets anyway.

"We could erotically rub our genital scars against one another?" one Bad Thread poster whipered seductively.
"Well," sighed the other, "if we really must needs do so, have on with it."

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Rarity posted:

Sophia and Joramun supped on chargrilled cheeseburgers with lettuce and relish, thin-cut french fries in lashings of salt, crispy battered nuggets of fresh chicken and a McFlurry.

Please tweet this to GRRM so he may put it in his next work.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Rarity posted:

GRRM would put this into his next novel, but the Jets just did something and he needs to write about it.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

He could write you into TWOW like he plans to do with Ros. Sophia Stark, the hidden 7th Stark child nobody knew existed and comes out of hiding as a major new contender to the Iron Throne. Her ambitions to emerge from the Game of Thrones victoriously are only held back by her preoccupation with a distracting new invention of Maester Qyburn's, a glimmering magic box playing adaptations of all her favorite Westerosi works of literature on an endless loop.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

More importantly, it displays a wonderful sport where men throw a ball amongst themselves. This new activity serves as a level playing field between the humans and the Others.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Holy Calamity! posted:

What is the thread title referring to?

When this thread was writing A Game Of Bones, we may have been overly optimistic about how much revenue it would generate and some of us started talking rather enthusiastically of how we'd blow our earnings.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sophia posted:

Hang on I'm spooling up my egregiously hyperbolic fangirl waxing machine to unhinge myself all over your asses

Don't stop, Sophia. :getin:

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Sophia posted:

Hang on I'm spooling up my egregiously hyperbolic fangirl waxing machine to unhinge myself all over your asses

gurm just beat off to this

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

nuncle jimbo posted:

gurm just beat off to this

The arousal of Sophia's unspooling rear end waxing machine was arousing.

Sophia posted:

Every single person in this thread would go to bed for nothing more than a wink, a smile and a heartfelt reading of a Game of Bones excerpt and you know it!

But your charms are wasted on me, my dear. I lust after only one thing. Terrible shitposts from dumb assholes that are lovely butts.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

What are the Bad Thread's words?

Absolute Fat poo poo.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

And the Bad Thread's sigil is a fat pink mast rising out of a Myrish swamp. Diarrhea is cascading from the wetly glistening tip.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Threw up in my mouth a little. And pants (in the front).

Congrats Rarity, on your first good joke!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SaviourX posted:

Congrats Rarity, on your first good joke!

Oh god I'm becoming a Bad Thread poster :ohdear:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Sophia posted:

"GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire series has dialogue that is miles beyond any other fictional work," says person who has never read a another book in their lifetime. "Deep characterization! Realistic tension! More descriptions of food than the entirety of Better Baking's back catalog!" raved the completely blown-away man after finally reading his first literary work without any accompanying pictures. "Two thumbs and my penis way way up!"

But in all seriousness anyone who says that freaking George RR Martin has written dialogue in the upper echelons of all fiction ever produced has to be either incredibly poorly read or high. I liked the first book quite a lot but let us be real.

I can buy his comment if he meant to use the word "fantasy" rather than "fiction". Because ASOIF is miles ahead of most other books in its genre in terms of its prose and well everything.

e: wait not everything. is still creepier with his fixation on rape and objectivism.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 27, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Rarity posted:

Gooble gobble, we accept you.

ONE OF US.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Vigilance posted:

e: wait not everything. is still creepier with his fixation on rape and objectivism.

This man rapes things into objects. GRRM would like to look down and see his feet.

Discuss.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Gooble gobble, we accept you.

ONE OF US.

Now for phase 2. Rarity, do you want to call dibs on any chapters in the upcoming BESTSELLER A Storm of Schwanz?

We'll be adding new POV's like:

Samantha Gamgee: the morbidly obese comic relief gal-pal of Jen Ice.

Burstin Salami: disgraced Emperor's Guard, now sworn to Demi Turduckyen

Yarasha Gayjoy: sister of Thelonius Gayjoy, heir to the Copper Islands

Dago Semenworthy: called the Ruby Starfruit knight, Fist of the pretender queen Stella Bartholomew.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Jamie Lanitor: I have no right hand and I must fist.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

James Lincolnshire, I believe it is.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Lincolnshit. Y'all missed an obvious one there.

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot

Vigilance posted:

I can buy his comment if he meant to use the word "fantasy" rather than "fiction". Because ASOIF is miles ahead of most other books in its genre in terms of its prose and well everything.

I don't think ol Gurm is as much of the goon that he's made out to be. The rapes and the shock factor is there, but that's not missing from any historical period and it was a part of literature way before the Victorian era skewed our understanding of the past (and present). How many rapes, mutilations, or rapes followed by mutilation are in the Bible, for starters? It's the same thing with the Lemoncakes. You look for it, it's there, but it's not distracting if you know what kind of book you're getting into.
It's true I haven't read any fantasy series other than Dune, but if that's any indication, it probably isn't exactly the most risqué genre around. Some of that realism needed to be there in the book and the reaction is more confusing to me than anything. What was it a few pages back where Dany was compared to "a rape victim...Stockholm syndrome," whereas there wasn't really anything unusual about her arranged marriage when compared to actual arranged marriages.

One of the reasons I've always stayed away from the genre is just the reputation of its penchant for preaching or relying on all of the day's tropes to make its heroes and villains. If there was some sort of objectivist/marxist/whateverbullshit-ist lean to these books, then I wouldn't read them. There isn't a class that is evil in these books. There's no way the typical goon would restrain himself at all when creating his own world.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Now for phase 2. Rarity, do you want to call dibs on any chapters in the upcoming BESTSELLER A Storm of Schwanz?

What is a Schwa... No wait, I really don't want to know.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
^^It's German for penis.

To which I reply The Pear Shaped Man and his creepy blogging about his sisters and the child actors of the show.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Rarity posted:

What is a Schwa... No wait, I really don't want to know.

I believe they deliver ice cream and other frozen foods to homes across the nation.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

rypakal posted:

I believe they deliver ice cream and other frozen foods to homes across the nation.

Used to give me free popsicles when I was little.

While I agree that the world-building in these poo poo books is pretty much the greatest example of any world-building in contemporary fiction, the dialogue is often miserable, pointless, stupid, and awful. That said, who's the better songwriter, GRRM or Tolkien?

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 27, 2013

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
"Sticky Princes"

"Fat Pink Mast"

"Myrish Swamp"

"She couldn't tell if he was inside her, or she was in him"

"The sight of their arousal was arousing."

"Tummy"

-American Tolkien

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

Yarasha Gayjoy: sister of Thelonius Gayjoy, heir to the Copper Islands

Already disciplining her brother in my chapter.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
stop insulting Terry Goodkind, he is no mere fantasy author, he transcends genre to weave a tale of people doing extraordinary things

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The true fantasy genre starts and ends with Robert E Howard. Solomon Kane is a badass. :colbert:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

The true fantasy genre starts and ends with Robert E Howard. Solomon Kane is a badass. :colbert:
I've only seen the movie of that, but it was excellent and actually felt a bit like a movie version of ASoIaF. Everybody here should watch it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The true fantasy genre starts and ends with Patrick Goonfuss. Kvothe is a badass and sexes hot babes with magic penis powers. :colbert:

Fixed.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Ugh, no, no! That movie has hardly anything to do with Solomon Kane! :mad:

Go buy The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane off Amazon or something, partway through it goes from disconnected short stories to a bewilderingly awesome serial tale.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Like I have time to read the books. I'm too busy writing endless essays about the movie instead. La la la can't hear you, the source material does not exist!

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

But your charms are wasted on me, my dear. I lust after only one thing. Terrible shitposts from dumb assholes that are lovely butts.

The first published author since James Joyce to be more excited by butt egress than ingress.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
In.

Out.

As long as a butt is involved, millions of GRRM fans will be there, pink masts glistening in unison so their arousal might cause others arousal.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Ugh, no, no! That movie has hardly anything to do with Solomon Kane! :mad:

Go buy The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane off Amazon or something, partway through it goes from disconnected short stories to a bewilderingly awesome serial tale.

For gently caress's sake, why can't the Solomon Kane readers go to their own thread and talk about Solomon Kane without spoiling things?

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Does Solomon Kane ever get dysentery?

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

stawk Archer posted:

Some of that realism needed to be there in the book and the reaction is more confusing to me than anything.

In all seriousness, if you haven't you should read this blog post for a very considered and non-alarmist discussion of what realism means and how real it actually is in genre literature / culture generally and ASoIAF specifically. Though the person who wrote it did not get far enough to delve into the Theon storyline which might have informed it differently, I think you might find it interesting (and again this is a serious post).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

I knew I could bring you to the dark side. :unsmigghh: