Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

now if they had invented a machine that farts out freshly-made tamales when you put in a pouch we'd have a different story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

duTrieux. posted:

now if they had invented a machine that farts out freshly-made tamales when you put in a pouch we'd have a different story
i would be extremely down for this as long as someone else could vouch for their tastiness

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

again, if you don't have an old lady selling fresh tamales outside your grocery store you live somewhere terrible

also we have Tom-Tom Tamales around here. put it on a bun with chili and the stuff you find on a proper hot dog and you have a local dish called a Mother-In-Law.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
i am literally steaming a big batch of tamales right this minute. took one batch over to some american friends yesterday and we had wine and tamales and there was much rejoicing. also air force bake sale's kid goatse'd me, that one is a chip off the old block if ever there was one

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i'm doing a dry rub on a ribeye for a super late dinner.

i put a teaspoon of the following things into a bowl:

onion powder
garlic powder
cayenne
chili powder
salt
cracked black pepper
paprika
cumin

and then mixed em up and rubbed it pretty thick into a steak and it's sitting in the fridge right now.

gonna do that 5 minutes a side thing in a super hot pan/the oven thing.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Trig Discipline posted:

i am literally steaming a big batch of tamales right this minute. took one batch over to some american friends yesterday and we had wine and tamales and there was much rejoicing

hecka jelz

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Trig Discipline posted:

i am literally steaming a big batch of tamales right this minute. took one batch over to some american friends yesterday and we had wine and tamales and there was much rejoicing. also air force bake sale's kid goatse'd me, that one is a chip off the old block if ever there was one

lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Trig Discipline posted:

i am literally steaming a big batch of tamales right this minute.

haha same

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

duTrieux. posted:

is the fart sound realistic y/n

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Mister Sinewave posted:

is the fart sound realistic y/n

sure. you can download celebrity fart dlc too.

[ғᴀʀᴛs ɪɴ sᴘᴀɴɪsʜ]

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

duTrieux. posted:

sure. you can download celebrity fart dlc too.

[ғᴀʀᴛs ɪɴ sᴘᴀɴɪsʜ]

¡Trump!💨

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i wouldn't be surprised if some paparazzo has multiple hours of salma hayek's farts recorded

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i wouldn't be surprised if some paparazzo has multiple hours of salma hayek's farts recorded

The Priapic Paparazzo

- Amazing Tales, 1940

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

JawnV6 posted:

this is lorem ipsum filler for the last few pages of a prospectus when i'm not convinced you can condense it to a solid pitch deck

it'd be a slow pace for a hardware startup back in the pre-arduino days, but for a modern pure sw one where you're putting a layer onto a db and pretending there's any value in the db contents instead of the presentation layer and UX where you should spend massive cycles iterating?

isn't it kinda odd that all of your growth ideas depend on others magically deciding to give you data for no raisin? instead of providing a compelling enough platform that a graduate student with the data flies by the "can we use it" checkbox on their way to a better visualization?

:) http://statpedia.io/

Show HN: Statpedia – World's Most Simple Chart Creation Tool (statpedia.com) upvote me!

We can start with creating utility! If we do this, the content will come on its own!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
my god

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Our job is to make it as simple as possible to create statistics.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i tried 'oil' and 'phone'

good work ian

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
why are there no stats for bitcoin

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

minivanmegafun posted:

again, if you don't have an old lady selling fresh tamales outside your grocery store you live somewhere terrible

also we have Tom-Tom Tamales around here. put it on a bun with chili and the stuff you find on a proper hot dog and you have a local dish called a Mother-In-Law.

churro ladies as a service

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Vicas posted:

churro ladies as a service

don't disrupt the old guy selling churros out of a push cart, he's just trying to make a living :(

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

questionable sanitary practices are half the fun of getting a cart churro

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i tried 'oil' and 'phone'

good work ian
i tried 'not oil' and i think i broke it :cry:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ian McLean posted:

If we do this, the content will come on its own!
i'm curious how you defend this approach versus statista, who (claims to) employ 20+ domain-specific experts to curate the data, and whom i've naturally hit twice in the course of searching

show me a chart of your growth

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

yay Ian is back, I missed his weird posts

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

JawnV6 posted:

hey, remember like 4 years ago when I told you how election data de- or re-wonkified would be a great opportunity vector for you? congrats, here we are again with the chance to ignore that

http://statpedia.io/embed/12d4a61b-abfd-45ee-8d7a-f7414a3ec41c

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

JawnV6 posted:

i'm curious how you defend this approach versus statista, who (claims to) employ 20+ domain-specific experts to curate the data, and whom i've naturally hit twice in the course of searching

show me a chart of your growth

Jawn! I tried adding you on LinkedIn and you didn't accept. *yet* If you accepted you would see that the CEO of Statista is one of my connections.

Tell me Jawn, how does one create stats on Statista? Tell me Jawn, how frustrating is it signing up for a Statistia trial every 15 days just to obtain the data? Do you like those dialog boxes that pop up on your screen every time you try to look at one of their visualizations asking you to spend 7 grand on their subscription?

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Ian McLean posted:

Jawn! I tried adding you on LinkedIn and you didn't accept. *yet* If you accepted you would see that the CEO of Statista is one of my connections.

Tell me Jawn, how does one create stats on Statista? Tell me Jawn, how frustrating is it signing up for a Statistia trial every 15 days just to obtain the data? Do you like those dialog boxes that pop up on your screen every time you try to look at one of their visualizations asking you to spend 7 grand on their subscription?

have you considered that they might have created a service worth paying for and data relevant to more than 0.001% of queries

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

holy poo poo, it's Ian and his statistics thing

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Sagebrush posted:

holy poo poo, it's Ian and his statistics thing

Try it out! :)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ian McLean posted:

Tell me Jawn, how does one create stats on Statista?
i don't know or care, those searches haven't been me with a statistic trying to publish it. i was looking for information and hit a chart showing it.

but you've got market research that this use case is a priority?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Ian McLean posted:

if anyone's curious i can vouch for the presence of stats on oil and phone, definitely worth your time if you want oil and phone stats

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Palace of Hate posted:

have you considered that they might have created a service worth paying for and data relevant to more than 0.001% of queries

We are working on the breadcrumbs, siloing and metatags next.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
here's a fun statistic: #1 Cause of Startup Death

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ian McLean posted:

No, thanks

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
youre missing all the hottest stats on oil and phone

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ian McLean posted:

I tried "gas" and "tablet" and it said no results were found :(

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

I tried "gas" and "tablet" and it said no results were found :(

hosed up

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i didn't get results for much of anything that wasn't oil or phone

population
birth(s)
death(s)
rain(fall)
weather
climate
internet
china
russia
music
car(s)
carbon
electricity
who gives a poo poo anymore

"water" returns two charts on california reservoirs, "google" returns two charts on google play apps

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

ian you've been making this lovely little site for four years. are you entering all the stats manually or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
it's not too late to pivot to oilphonepedia.io

the iron is still hot

• Locked thread