Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Counterplay: don't get lower than 550 hp*, scrub :smug:

*at level 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Broccoli
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.

BrianBoitano posted:

e:

Friendship ended with STUKOV.
now TYRANDE is my best friend

The stun talent getting the range boost without quest completion is just the best thing.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

BrianBoitano posted:

Counterplay: don't get lower than 550 hp*, scrub :smug:

*at level 10

I think you mean, don't be full health and foolishly not sitting in the hall of storms:

https://clips.twitch.tv/DullConsiderateDolphinArsonNoSexy

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Is anyone else in EU getting really long queue times for QM? 7+ mins for me and then I just gave up, twice.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Elysium posted:

I think you mean, don't be full health and foolishly not sitting in the hall of storms:

https://clips.twitch.tv/DullConsiderateDolphinArsonNoSexy

To be fair he wasn't in the hall of storms, he was next to the keep
e: didn't see the "not" in your post :downs:

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 5, 2018

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Apparently if you interrupt Melphisto's ult it still reveals all enemy heroes, so if you have a friendly ability that can interrupt (stitch's hook, dunno if there are others) you can just have a global reveal on a 10 second cooldown lol.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

blowing two ults to kill an enemy hero so op.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Yeah totally, I hate it when I "blow" my ult and only kill both supports on the other team with it, leading to a full wipe.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Elysium posted:

Yeah totally, I hate it when I "blow" my ult and only kill both supports on the other team with it, leading to a full wipe.

There aren't that many heroes that are in the danger range at full hp, Aba, Murky and Erik are pretty much it.
https://psionic-storm.com/en/units/#d=hp&sort-values=1

There is nothing new about some heroes being able to combine ults or skills to kill heroes.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I believe this is the first time abathur could be killed for free from anywhere on the map not within 2 seconds of the hall of storms after level 10, perhaps this is what people find intriguing?

Like technically the abathur can sit in the HoS every 120 seconds until the ult comes down again so the game's not literally unplayable, but it sure seems like a new wrinkle.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 5, 2018

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

IMO they should make Mephisto gain unstoppable while ulting so that people can't abuse the friendly stun thing.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Early days but I just had 2 consecutive games where Mephisto was MVP with most Hero, Siege and XP on both teams (won one and lost one, two different players). He might he overtuned. He also kills Li-Ming outright with his ult if she has around 50% HP.

Maybe the best players don't mind dropping the 15k gold as soon as he is out, have been playing him on PTR etc, who knows.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Or just remove the reveal during the channel and apply it after the damage hits.

He seems overpowered as usual but who can be surprised anymore, this game is just a parade of broken poo poo every time they release or rework anyone anymore.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Mephisto is vastly overpowered and that was obvious from the instant his numbers were revealed.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Have you ever enjoyed anything, No Wave

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Bogart posted:

Have you ever enjoyed anything, No Wave

Yes but he is right in that design and balance in this game is a joke

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Played a couple of games vs him and didn’t feel that he was crazy op. But YMMV

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

No Wave posted:

I believe this is the first time abathur could be killed for free from anywhere on the map not within 2 seconds of the hall of storms after level 10, perhaps this is what people find intriguing?

Like technically the abathur can sit in the HoS every 120 seconds until the ult comes down again so the game's not literally unplayable, but it sure seems like a new wrinkle.

If you target Aba with a Fenix's planet cracker when he hats somebody won't it kill him before he can actually leave the beam? That's the only other thing that I can think of that would just gib him.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Zodiac5000 posted:

If you target Aba with a Fenix's planet cracker when he hats somebody won't it kill him before he can actually leave the beam? That's the only other thing that I can think of that would just gib him.
Maybe but you'd have to have vision on him. I guess ultimate evo can play around both as well. I dont think it requires a fix, but it sure is something.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Zodiac5000 posted:

Planetcracker does 112 damage every .25 seconds, which is 448 damage per second, which is dead aba in 2.26 seconds (I guess that's 2.5 depending on how the damage ticks)

It might be possible to get out of it, but you have to react and issue that move order in the first half second or so.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
It's not really possible because by the time you notice whats happening it's too late. I played a game as Aba against a fenix and tyrande a month or two ago... A couple of times I saw the owl on minimap and just dropped hat and started walking in circles, but eventually I just ended up staying at spawn because her ult also revealed. It was obnoxious.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

At least that was a level 20 thing. What happens 20 and onwards can be a little dumb.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Dietrich posted:

There aren't that many heroes that are in the danger range at full hp, Aba, Murky and Erik are pretty much it.
https://psionic-storm.com/en/units/#d=hp&sort-values=1

There is nothing new about some heroes being able to combine ults or skills to kill heroes.

The "new" part is that it can be done with what is essentially zero counterplay. Things like Fenix's Planet Cracker or Azmodan's Globe require aim and coordination, but a nanoboosted Mephisto can just press a button and get a kill - usually in preparation for a teamfight or an objective. Like, if you know Abathur is in X location (say, because he's soaking a lane (like he's supposed to)), the only way that he's going to get out of dying instantly is by having a teammate nearby that can provide some form of mitigation (spell shield, protection) or by being absurdly quick on the draw with Ultimate Evolution.

I knew this this poo poo was going to be an issue a year ago when Ana was added:

Kith posted:

I don't loving understand why they decided to make Nano Boost into Dickslam Gunhands: But For Mages and open up the miserable can of worms that is making the one character type that can reliably instantly delete players (or entire teams!) even more powerful. The 50% damage reduction/50% damage boost design from Overwatch was fine, and would have translated perfectly to Heroes. I can understand wanting to do something different when you've already got two characters with ults that buff AAs, but Jesus.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

how do you feel about Dalaran Banner, another essential part of this combo.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

No Wave posted:

how do you feel about Dalaran Banner, another essential part of this combo.

It gives less than half as much Spellpower and no cooldown reduction, so it's not nearly as big of a deal. Yes, it's part of The Combo, but it's the straw that broke the camel's back - the big problem is (and always will be) Nanoboost.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Nanoboost hasnt been a problem over the last year, not sure what you mean when you say it's always been a problem (i guess with cho'gall?). Dalaran gives 20 in aoe and is never picked, nano boost gives 30 to one person.

You look at the 100 hp special worm hero, the brand new global ult that nukes him, and the 30% spell power ability, I don't think the problem here is Ana. (Actually I don't think there's a problem at all.)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 5, 2018

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Let it be known that I'm dumb as hell and thought that Nanoboost gave 50% Spellpower, not 30%. I still don't have that much of a problem with the Dalaran Banner, though - counterplay for it exists (just break it or zone them out of it) and it doesn't do nearly as much as Nanoboost does (only giving Spellpower instead of Spellpower, Cooldown Reduction, and Mana).

No Wave posted:

Nanoboost hasnt been a problem over the last year, not sure what you mean when you say it's always been a problem (i guess with cho'gall?).

Cho'Gall, Dragonblade Genji, and Medivh are the biggest problems when combined with Nanoboost because they're capable of winning fights singlehandedly (or doublehandedly, in Cho'Gall's case).

quote:

You look at the 100 hp special worm hero, the brand new global ult that nukes him, and the 30% spell power ability, I don't think the problem here is Ana. (Actually I don't think there's a problem at all.)
Any combination of abilities that results in a player having to spend a significant amount of time in spawn to not get instantly nuked is bad. I don't care if it's an edge case, it's a lovely gameplay interaction and it shouldn't be possible on principle alone.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Give abathur 75 armor against ults :getin:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

i'm defensive of Ana because i think she's the only really nicely made hero since stukov. Nano's been super fun without being predictable or repetitive in my games (compare it to the boring and lame stim drone).

I'm also unreasonably bitter and toxic about abathur in general and I don't care if the precious "rule-breaking" hero that gets to hit you all game without retaliation gets hosed over by his own mechanics in very rare circumstances.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Kith posted:

Any combination of abilities that results in a player having to spend a significant amount of time in spawn to not get instantly nuked is bad. I don't care if it's an edge case, it's a lovely gameplay interaction and it shouldn't be possible on principle alone.

From a ranked perspective, you have to walk rear end-backwards into this happening to you, to the point where I have remarkably little sympathy for the man who slampicks Abathur after the enemy team has both Ana and Mephisto locked in already or for the player who picks Abathur with both of those heroes still out there unclaimed.

From a QM perspective, sucks to be Abathur in that case, but since you aren't even prevented from getting lane XP while in the hall of storms as Aba I'm still not super broken up about it, especially if the alternative involves making QM queues take longer.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

According to reddit, demotion matches have been removed. But promotion matches haven't. Lol.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

No Wave posted:

According to reddit, demotion matches have been removed. But promotion matches haven't. Lol.

The thread I found on reddit has a lot of pontificating about the change, but nobody besides OP actually reporting it. If I had to bet, I'd say the OP didn't realize the following:

https://twitter.com/hotslogs/status/1027604784172290048

So the way they announced it, it's symmetric. You sill have promos and demos, but only between e.g. Gold 1 and Plat 5 going either direction.

Maybe they hosed up the implementation (:monocle:) but maybe redditors saw no demotion game between Silver 2 and Silver 3, but did see a promotion game between Silver 1 and Gold 5, and drew conclusions. I think that's more likely.

Odd that they would push it out without an announcement. I'd say 60% chance the redditor is full of poo poo (and it's working as intended), 30% it's actually bugged, and 10% it was accidentally released too soon, like the Artanis Q → E combo.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
After a bunch of different W build games and trait games, I finally tried Q build Mephisto against a tank heavy team, and dominated so hard. Throwing Qs through the front line is practically an automatic reset, +20 spellpower each time, no worrying about finessing the edge of your lightning, just loving Hadoken them to death.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

BrianBoitano posted:

The thread I found on reddit has a lot of pontificating about the change, but nobody besides OP actually reporting it. If I had to bet, I'd say the OP didn't realize the following:

https://twitter.com/hotslogs/status/1027604784172290048

So the way they announced it, it's symmetric. You sill have promos and demos, but only between e.g. Gold 1 and Plat 5 going either direction.

Maybe they hosed up the implementation (:monocle:) but maybe redditors saw no demotion game between Silver 2 and Silver 3, but did see a promotion game between Silver 1 and Gold 5, and drew conclusions. I think that's more likely.

Odd that they would push it out without an announcement. I'd say 60% chance the redditor is full of poo poo (and it's working as intended), 30% it's actually bugged, and 10% it was accidentally released too soon, like the Artanis Q → E combo.
Appreciated, that makes sense. Surprised there was no announcement, but not that surprised.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Elysium posted:

After a bunch of different W build games and trait games, I finally tried Q build Mephisto against a tank heavy team, and dominated so hard. Throwing Qs through the front line is practically an automatic reset, +20 spellpower each time, no worrying about finessing the edge of your lightning, just loving Hadoken them to death.

The skull missile deals weak damage and is pretty difficult to land to boot. Most of your damage will be coming from your W and R, and Q mostly acts as a slow and a way to reset your abilities.

From what I can tell, the good build is:

1 - Malicious Intent
20% spell power is hard to pass up. Anything that buffs your ult and W is good
4 - Static Barrier
Turning half your W damage to shields is very good. I don't like the skull missile heal simply because it doesn't do enough damage, whereas Static Barrier essentially doubles your health. It's crazy and it will get nerfed.
7 - Trickery
The movement speed helps you land your W and sometimes escape. Overall the best one. The armor one is also good, but situational
10 - Consume Souls
Duh
13 - Abhorred Skull
More spell power for your W and R. Abhorred Skull is probably better overall, but Hysteria is also fun and might be better in maps with tons of skirmishes but not too many big fights.
16 - Animosity
Lets you use your W for twice as long half the time, which is incredibly good. The other ones seem a bit too wonky.
20 - Consumed by Hatred
Seems the best one, although I haven't even tried the other ones.

Typically, you want to poke by jumping right into W range using your E, then use your W and Q. Sometimes, you want to jump right on top of dudes if your W is on cooldown since your E damage will reset your cooldowns a little bit, then reposition to hit them with the W. If there's a big clump of heroes in a teamfight, then you might just want to walk in normally since you will most likely reset your cooldowns immediately, which means you can keep using your abilities over and over. In a post-10 teamfight, your combo typically goes like: jump in with E, use your W and Q to damage the enemies as much as possible, then right before you go teleport back to your shade, you press R so that you can get the 20% spell power for your ultimate (the spell power buff after your E ends and channel time are both 2.5 seconds). After that the enemy team will be slowed, revealed and heavily damaged, which means you can follow your team back in to finish them off. His combo is very easy to pull off on top of being incredibly impactful, especially with a single synergy hero like Ana or Auriel, so he will probably get thrown into the dumpster soon. If you want free wins right now, pick Mephisto with Ana and you simply cannot lose teamfights

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 6, 2018

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Grubby says that the % damage is the best for level 16 and at first I thought that seemed awful but against a frontline heavy team it's actually not too hard to get trigger. If you can hit two heroes, you only need 1.25 seconds of contact to trigger the bonus damage.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I did 100k damage in both games I went Q build. When you are throwing one every second it adds up.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Grubby says that the % damage is the best for level 16 and at first I thought that seemed awful but against a frontline heavy team it's actually not too hard to get trigger. If you can hit two heroes, you only need 1.25 seconds of contact to trigger the bonus damage.

Yeah I dunno maybe it could be better. I've been playing quick match where enemy teams are mostly squishy assassins, so it hasn't seemed like a great pick so far

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
yea the % damage at 16 talent is bonkers against beefy targets. It's hard to tell what's happening in the flurry of numbers, but tanks just melt after that talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Am I the only one bothered by the fact W doesn't quick cast on release? I find myself trying to hold the button out of habit to bring up a range indicator and instead it just goes off.