Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Themage posted:

When I select Vurt's bushy textures for installation in MGSO it instead puts Vality's in my data-files folder. I'm guessing its not supposed to do this?

No. Probably not. Unless it's using Vality's AI but Vurt's trees and textures. I think they did something like that, so you could get the flora density of Vality's with the detail of Vurts (this is insane.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

When doing the MGSO install, following the instructions in the download in the OP, I gon't get the .exe made. Any ideas?

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Out of curiosity, did you try to run the game at least once before trying to run MGE?

Ah, that did the trick. Getting Morrowind to start ended up having the 'meshes\bm_snow_01.nif' issue fixed by running a pre-Overhaul backup install of Morrowind to generate the [Weather Snow] section in the .ini and copying that and the [Archive] section. I don't have the Steam version so I skipped that step of installing the Overhaul. Once I could get the game to start MGE booted right up. Thanks a lot! :)

(I hope I didn't miss that step of 'Start Morrowind proper', I don't remember seeing it in the Overhaul instructions)

Hyphen-B
Nov 28, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Quick question about merging leveled lists in Wrye Mash: After I create Mashed Lists.esp do I have to check the box to enable it like other plugins? Should I make sure it gets loaded last or does that not matter?

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit

SuitDude posted:

Quick question about merging leveled lists in Wrye Mash: After I create Mashed Lists.esp do I have to check the box to enable it like other plugins? Should I make sure it gets loaded last or does that not matter?

Yes check it, yes load it after.

Hyphen-B
Nov 28, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
cool thanks

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Owlkill posted:

I've got Wrye Mash now, how exactly do I check it? I can get a big list of all the mods I've got installed up, with some of them showing yellow - does this indicate that there's issues with them?

Sorta, although that's what I expected to happen. When you click on one of the yellow mods, does it show any dependent files (on the right-hand side) as yellow or red?

Diogines posted:

When doing the MGSO install, following the instructions in the download in the OP, I gon't get the .exe made. Any ideas?

Which .exe? The one for MGE? The overhaul settings?

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Glad to see my mirror is still being used, was contemplating deleting those files, heh.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
The Great House Dagon mod was actually really good. The writing is well done, especially in comparison to the Sixth House mod. It keeps the feeling of the game dynamic and not quite as black and white as it could have gone. You don't really feel all out 'evil' while playing it. On the subject of mods, though, are there any that exist that allow beast races to wear helmets?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Vagon posted:

The Great House Dagon mod was actually really good. The writing is well done, especially in comparison to the Sixth House mod. It keeps the feeling of the game dynamic and not quite as black and white as it could have gone. You don't really feel all out 'evil' while playing it.

QFT. This is especially true if you read into a lot of in-game literature regarding the Tribunal, Nerevarine, and Dagoth, and who might have betrayed who. It's not so black and white.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.
Installed everything in the OP. My Morrowind is purty :)

Couple issues though...

1. I think I may have broken vendors somehow. I'm level 30 but every vendor I run across is still offering the same lovely iron and steel armor. I'd imagine at this level I should be seeing some higher level armors in vendor inventories. Any way to check and see if I hosed up vendors somehow?

2. Shield is really broken. Instead of the usual little sparkly umbrella I get a big semitransparent white blob surrounding whatever's shielded. How do I unfuck this?

VV Some inventories seem to be cycling, some aren't. I've been abusing the poo poo out of making heavy use of the soulgem vendor in mournhold. With the exception of the stuff I sell him, his inventory will cycle and I'll see level appropriate stuff showing up (IE enchanted Glass Longswords, constant effect rings, etc.) in his inventory, while the smith guy downstairs is still offering the same crappy pile of iron and steel armor that he had when I first showed up there at lvl 3. Could just be that I haven't played this game in a dog's age and I don't remember having to go get my armor the hard way. Still, it's embarrassing to be a lvl 30 combat god wielding daedric beatsticks and shields, cracking golden saint skulls left and right...while wearing my motley collection of steel and dweomer armor.

Verloc fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 25, 2011

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Verloc posted:

Installed everything in the OP. My Morrowind is purty :)

Couple issues though...

1. I think I may have broken vendors somehow. I'm level 30 but every vendor I run across is still offering the same lovely iron and steel armor. I'd imagine at this level I should be seeing some higher level armors in vendor inventories. Any way to check and see if I hosed up vendors somehow?

2. Shield is really broken. Instead of the usual little sparkly umbrella I get a big semitransparent white blob surrounding whatever's shielded. How do I unfuck this?

Dunno about the Shield bug but as far as I'm aware Vendors in Morrowind never offer different stocks. What you see at level 1 is what you get.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
You get armor from killing and/or vault raiding, not buying! I've never really looked at vendor inventories, only how much gold they have to give me. Usually seems to be crap all over, certainly noting compared to dungeon and quest loot.

House Rabbit
Dec 17, 2008

Don't go into Mr. McGregor's garden: your Father had an accident there; he was put in a pie by Mrs. McGregor.
I've just gotten a strange issue with my game since installing the overhaul.

Going to shops and buying items that are stacked, do not give me the option to split it up. For instance, wanting to buy a spear and the shopkeeper has two, results in my buying both of them. No slider scale.

This is a weird-rear end problem, and I haven't been able to find any results on this. Or am I just doing something stupidly wrong here? It's been years since I last played Morrowind and I'm pretty much starting fresh now. I really hope someone can give me any sort of clue as to what to do in this situation. It's really frustrating when you need to buy just one scroll-of-something and instead have to buy 20. :(

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

House Rabbit posted:

I've just gotten a strange issue with my game since installing the overhaul.

Going to shops and buying items that are stacked, do not give me the option to split it up. For instance, wanting to buy a spear and the shopkeeper has two, results in my buying both of them. No slider scale.

This is a weird-rear end problem, and I haven't been able to find any results on this. Or am I just doing something stupidly wrong here? It's been years since I last played Morrowind and I'm pretty much starting fresh now. I really hope someone can give me any sort of clue as to what to do in this situation. It's really frustrating when you need to buy just one scroll-of-something and instead have to buy 20. :(

One of the mods or overhauls changes this. Hold shift and left click to split a stack :)

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Tufty posted:

One of the mods or overhauls changes this. Hold shift and left click to split a stack :)

To expand on this a bit more: one of the mods in the Overhaul reverses what clicking on a stacked item does vs. what clicking on it while holding Shift does. Just clicking on an item when buying/selling/dropping now takes the entire stack, while doing it with Shift brings up the "how many do you want?" dialogue.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
It's another one of those things from the code patch.

House Rabbit
Dec 17, 2008

Don't go into Mr. McGregor's garden: your Father had an accident there; he was put in a pie by Mrs. McGregor.
Oh gosh, it works!

Haha, thanks for clearing that up for me. :D

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
So I did all the Steam-related stuff, and got everything functional, save for some stability issues. I was getting errors when traveling to areas that some type of flora or glow file was missing from somewhere, and whether the executable should continue running.

So I reran the Overhaul 1.3 patch from the Morrowind directory, which fixed it up, rebuilt Distant Lands, and now the SSAO and Depth of Field blur are being drawn on top of my UI elements, making text all smeary and blurry and icons all fuzzy- any idea what I can do? I get the feeling there's some kind of .ini edit I need to make, but I don't know where to start.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

The Grammar Aryan posted:

So I did all the Steam-related stuff, and got everything functional, save for some stability issues. I was getting errors when traveling to areas that some type of flora or glow file was missing from somewhere, and whether the executable should continue running.

So I reran the Overhaul 1.3 patch from the Morrowind directory, which fixed it up, rebuilt Distant Lands, and now the SSAO and Depth of Field blur are being drawn on top of my UI elements, making text all smeary and blurry and icons all fuzzy- any idea what I can do? I get the feeling there's some kind of .ini edit I need to make, but I don't know where to start.
Morrowind Code Patch has an option to realign the user interface, but the shaders use that misalignment to differentiate the menus from everything else, so enabling it causes them to draw over the menus. You should be able to just run it again and uncheck that option.

Also, if you're using the Steam version, Flora Glow.bsa won't be registered in morrowind.ini because the automated program only works with the disc version. I think the OP should have instructions on this, it's only one line you have to add.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I installed the overhaul and all patches, and Morrowind runs with all the mods and new textures. But MGE doesn't seem to be running, or at the very least some elements aren't working. My resolution won't go above 1600x1200, even when set to 1920x1080 in MGE. Shaders seem to be half-working - I don't know, underwater blur seems to go into effect, but other than that there's no noticeable differences. The worst problem is the water looks totally awful. There's no MGE effects on the water, no caustic effects from jumping in and out, and no ripples when it rains.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

l33t b4c0n posted:

I installed the overhaul and all patches, and Morrowind runs with all the mods and new textures. But MGE doesn't seem to be running, or at the very least some elements aren't working. My resolution won't go above 1600x1200, even when set to 1920x1080 in MGE. Shaders seem to be half-working - I don't know, underwater blur seems to go into effect, but other than that there's no noticeable differences. The worst problem is the water looks totally awful. There's no MGE effects on the water, no caustic effects from jumping in and out, and no ripples when it rains.

Are you also running MGE-XE, or is this with just MGE?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

l33t b4c0n posted:

It doesn't sound like MGE is even running, then. Make sure you game isn't installed to Program Files, and then go and set each executable to "Run as Administrator" (MWSE, Morrowind, and MGE.) MGE not starting up with Morrowind is usually because one of the programs doesn't have administrator privileges.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
That's what I was thinking. I'm running Windows 7 obviously, and I'm trying to just run MGE for now, not MGE-XE. Which exe's specifically do I need to set to run as administrator? It's installed to D:\Steam\steamapps\common\morrowind, so no problem with the program files folder.

Edit:
Tested it again by setting the launcher, morrowind.exe, and mgegui.exe all to run as administrator. 1920x1080 resolution works now, as does water blur. But again, I don't notice any other shaders. And the surface of the water still looks like crap. I get a message in the upper left that MGE is running, but I also get an error that distant land file cannot be loaded, even though I've run the distant land creation wizard.

l33t b4c0n fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 29, 2011

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
I had the same problem once (same drive & location, too), but all I can say is I reinstalled using MSGO and it worked. There is a hotkey option in mgegui that lets you toggle shaders, maybe see if that does anything.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Positronic Spleen posted:

Morrowind Code Patch has an option to realign the user interface, but the shaders use that misalignment to differentiate the menus from everything else, so enabling it causes them to draw over the menus. You should be able to just run it again and uncheck that option.

That did it, everything's running fine now. Strange, though, because I'm running MGEXE, and that issue isn't supposed to occur while running it, which would indicate that MGEXE isn't running, but I'm seeing the shaders that are selected in it.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Okay, this is the fourth time I am going to be trying to play Morrowind. I picked up the GOTY Edition 5 years ago or so but I've never been able to keep playing it. The incredibly slow pace from place to place, I ended up doing some sort of cheating non-sense. I tended to opt for some redguard, nord, or imperial hack and slash but I never tried magic because I felt gimped right out of the gate.

Due to the incredible amount of CHOICE in this game I have become paralyzed by said choices. Can someone give me some sort of baseline character build and some soft goals I should strive for? I always ended up in Balmora, running some warrior quest or whatever and getting stuck in the loving Dewmer ruins playing inventory juggling. I just need a character so I can loosen up and not worry about playing the game right and just keep playing it.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Captain Internet posted:

Okay, this is the fourth time I am going to be trying to play Morrowind. I picked up the GOTY Edition 5 years ago or so but I've never been able to keep playing it. The incredibly slow pace from place to place, I ended up doing some sort of cheating non-sense. I tended to opt for some redguard, nord, or imperial hack and slash but I never tried magic because I felt gimped right out of the gate.

Due to the incredible amount of CHOICE in this game I have become paralyzed by said choices. Can someone give me some sort of baseline character build and some soft goals I should strive for? I always ended up in Balmora, running some warrior quest or whatever and getting stuck in the loving Dewmer ruins playing inventory juggling. I just need a character so I can loosen up and not worry about playing the game right and just keep playing it.
Every character does a lot of physical combat; magic is hard to rely solely upon and stealth is kind of crappy. Enchanted items can help, though. Ignoring min/max, just keep a weapon and armor in your major skills, use those until you've trained something else, and you should be fine. Just remember not to attack with empty fatigue (green), your weapon will probably break before you hit (somehow) at lower levels. Stamina is VERY IMPORTANT. Also, the damage range on weapons is surprisingly not random, it's based on how much "wind up" you have (spamming attack is the low end, holding it for a second is max).

For leveling up, don't worry about it too much. If you don't have enough points in an attribute you want, just reload the autosave and do something else. By the time you're done with a dozen or two quests you should be on your way to infinite riches. You don't even have to worry about magic at all if you don't want to, but it can make things more fun.

If you want to boost your movement speed, head northwest of Ald'Rhun, there should be an NPC on the road who wants you to help with a quest, and you get some enchanted boots that make you run fast and silly. You will need to make a spell of Resist Magicka of duration 1 and magnitude 100-100 to not be blind wearing them; it should be cheap, but you'll need to buy a spell somewhere with that effect before you can make another one with it.

It also helps to use the intervention spells, teleporting you to the nearest temple (almsivi) or imperial cult altar (divine). Basically, the nearest medium-sized town. Get an enchanted amulet for both, they are incredibly convenient and require no magic skill.

For quests, I recommend taking the Silt Strider from Seyda Neen to Balmora, dropping off the package, and then ignoring the main quest. Go to the temple and do the pilgrimages, it'll help you get familiarized with traveling. Note that aside from Silt Striders, you can sometimes travel by means of boat or teleportation via the mages' guild. Also, there are some scrolls called "Guide to <thing>" that helps fill in some locations on your map, they should be in stores, or bookstores, sometimes just lying around; you don't have to buy them, just read them. You could also join a guild, but do ALL of the thieves guild before the fighter's guild, it helps avoid being locked out of quests for seemingly no reason. I'd wait on joining a house until later, you can only join one per character.

There's also this: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Starting_out
The rest of the wiki can help if you're looking for more quests, or to find out if something broke, etc. There's also a map on there somewhere if you're lost.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

I like to use mods to fix a lot of what you mentioned - it makes the game much more enjoyable for me. Here are three that. Specifically Allspeeds to fix the awful slow movement rate, Tireless Running so that you dont have to stop and wait when you come across an enemy so you can fight it with full fatigue, and a magicka regeneration mod so that a pure mage type character is more viable.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

It also helps to use the intervention spells, teleporting you to the nearest temple (almsivi) or imperial cult altar (divine). Basically, the nearest medium-sized town. Get an enchanted amulet for both, they are incredibly convenient and require no magic skill.

One thing I highly recommend doing (even without a magic-based character) is joining the Mages Guild and doing Edwinna Albert's quests in Ald-Ruhn. At some point, she gives you amulets of Almsivi and Divine Intervention.

In addition, Nalcarya of White Haven in Balmora sells potions of Mark and Recall. Mark, well, marks a location in Morrowind and Recall will take you to wherever you used Mark. You can only have one marked location, but it's available as a potion, spell, or enchanted item (which you can buy or sometimes randomly find).

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Tufty posted:

I like to use mods to fix a lot of what you mentioned - it makes the game much more enjoyable for me.
Magicka Regeneration makes The Atronarch sign ridiculously powerful (unless it accounts for it somehow). But otherwise, yeah, I wrote that assuming a minimalist set of mods. I'm actually making my own mods that are simultaneously more comprehensive and less invasive than typical. Speaking of which, can anyone point me to armor and weapon rebalancing mod(s) that doesn't add content or make the really good stuff even better? Something to adjust existing armor to eliminate the huge leaps in quality, e.g. newtscale 10 -> glass 50, or dwemer 20 -> ebony 60. I could make my own of that, but it means editing a LOT of records.

Musical_Daredevil posted:

One thing I highly recommend doing (even without a magic-based character) is joining the Mages Guild and doing Edwinna Albert's quests in Ald-Ruhn. At some point, she gives you amulets of Almsivi and Divine Intervention.
I had forgotten where I got those. That's a good place to start, too.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Can anyone recommend some good Quest/content mods that fit in well with the game, aside from Tamriel Rebuilt/etc? High quality stuff that either fleshes out existing factions or adds new, lore friendly factions?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I caved and reinstalled Morrowind last night. Downloaded a few simple mods and everything has been going pretty well except for just a moment ago. The game crashed for the first time and when I booted it back up it encountered some errors, saying it was unable to find some spell files. I'm kind of miffed, because I only have a couple of mods running. They are:

Better Bodies
Better Heads
Better Clothes
BTB's Character mod
and a magicka regen mod called "Fair Magicka Regen" that I found.

Could it be a load order problem? I'd hoped that with so few mods I wouldn't have to deal with all the poo poo that comes with them :(

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Gyshall posted:

Can anyone recommend some good Quest/content mods that fit in well with the game, aside from Tamriel Rebuilt/etc? High quality stuff that either fleshes out existing factions or adds new, lore friendly factions?

Great House Dagoth allows you to actually take Lord Dagoth up on his Sleepers' offer and join and work for the 6th House. It's done in this really cool way that isn't mustache-twirling evil. Well written and a nice alternate path to the main quest.

Greater Dwemer Ruins makes the quest for Keening and Sunder pretty epic. I haven't played much of it yet but I've only heard good things about it.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Gyshall posted:

• Illuminated Order
  • Sixth House (the good Sixth House/Great House Dagoth mod :colbert:, but seriously the other one is buggy, otherwise it might be as good but probably not)
  • Suran Underworld
  • Wizards Island
  • White Wolf of Lokken Mountain (haven't actually played this yet but I've heard good things and I've visited the landmass it adds and it owns so, good enough for the list)

There are others that I've enjoyed that I didn't keep archived for whatever reason but I don't remember which ones those would be....

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 3, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Mr. Crow posted:

[*]Sixth House (the good Sixth House/Great House Dagoth mod :colbert:, but seriously the other one is buggy, otherwise it might be as good but probably not)

My Great House Dagoth mod is better than your Sixth House mod because of this:

quote:

I have used the shapeshifting scripts from Scripted Spells with Cortex's permission to produce a physical transformation in the player, allowing the player to advance through the stages of development from Ash Slave to Ascended Sleeper.

Becoming an Cthulhu-esque nightmare is just about the coolest thing ever. :c00lbert:

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 26, 2021

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Someone posted about this earlier, but I can't find a response: If running the game on Steam, is there any way to use the MGE workaround with the code patch?

After following the instructions in the OP (using MSGO), I could only get the game to run using the workaround. I tried using workaround -> patch, it leads to morrowind.exe opening the loader in a loop, whereas patch -> workaround runs the game, but doesn't run any of the patch features. Lastly, changing the date of the bsa files manually doesn't seem to fix anything, either.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Becoming an Cthulhu-esque nightmare is just about the coolest thing ever. :c00lbert:

This is actually exactly why I don't like that mod. It's buggy as hell and poorly implemented for 90% of the transformations.

Take that :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

harrygomm posted:

At some point during the ini tweaking, you're sent to a page from 2007 with the following advice:

Number of Shadows=6 ~Place a cap on the maximum number of shadows Morrowind will render.

Maximum Shadows Per Object=1 ~It's supposed to allow more than 1 shadow per object, but it seems to be a broken feature. Leave this at 1.

Is 6 shadows really the max? I noticed that the buffer setting he recommended were for when < 512MB RAM was common, so I uppsed those to my 4GB settings, so I'm wondering if this is just another thing thats wrong or if I'm misunderstanding it.

I see no reason why you can't make it higher since its just .ini tweaking, but you do it at your own peril. Morrowind's engine can get weird sometimes with its shaders, and it may not play nice at all with some of the installed mods if you set it too high.

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 4, 2011