Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

axolotl farmer posted:

anyone remember Vivo, the preferred format in 1997?

it had no keyframes, so no searching or skipping when playing your 160x120 fansubbed Ranma 1/2 OVAs.

boy howdy i sure do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah the player cost money or something

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

and everything looked like a badly dithered gif

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

axolotl farmer posted:

and everything looked like a badly dithered gif

back then we just called them gifs

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

rotor posted:

back then we just called them gifs

gimme five gifs for a bmp, you'd say

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i was going for more of a "are those brazil nuts?/eh, here we just call them 'nuts'" vibe but whatevs

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

nuts

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
welcome to china have some food

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

why does this happen on video

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
bcuz broadcast tv and movies are terrible old hacks and we loved it so much it's in our digital age

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

because an i-frame didnt get broadcast and the video decoder doesnt know to change something onscreen

here is some nerd poo poo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_compression_picture_types

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 2, 2013

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
jeez louise just have perian + air video on ur mac and dgaf what "format" your "video" is in

also legally buy video off itunes, ofc

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

because an i-frame didnt get broadcast and the video decoder doesnt know to change something onscreen

here is some nerd poo poo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_compression_picture_types

no ur wrong that's frame blending from an ntsc source

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Last Chance posted:

why does this happen on video

because patrick stewart has to pay the bills somehow

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

pro click

pro posting champion

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

newreply.php posted:

lol, yeah, let me just pay actual money for media in 2013

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

"its not in 10-bit mkv format no buy" -a thing i can imagine someone here saying unironically

SpecialAgentCooper
Sep 15, 2008

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
skyfall was beautifully shot but boy howdy did it look pixelated as poo poo on an imax screen. the arri alexa still owns at a lower res though

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

rotor posted:

lol, yeah, let me just pay actual money for media in 2013

well honey we could buy bridesmaids on itunes or you could just nut up and fix our ratio on whilst.org so we can start saving money again

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Kirk posted:

well honey we could buy bridesmaids on itunes or you could just nut up and fix our ratio on whilst.org so we can start saving money again

i just get things from wherever, poo poo just floats around in the air, you know? you just gotta know where to pull it down from.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

SpecialAgentCooper posted:

skyfall was beautifully shot but boy howdy did it look pixelated as poo poo on an imax screen. the arri alexa still owns at a lower res though

http://www.arri.de/news.html?article=1095&cHash=2d1a22f2b0c8d8d913d5a02ad190234e

shot spherical with a 2.41 crop from what i'm guessing is 2880x1620

thats still pretty good horizontal resolution compared to a 2k film scan.

also lol if you complain about paying for movies then complain that every movie is the same. movie companies still serve their paying customers.

thats like complaining there arent any good games for android and then go "lol pay for apps?"

pagancow fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 2, 2013

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
that the pirate bay is still around to this day is pretty lol in the face of all the energy companies are putting into fighting infringement

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

newreply.php posted:

if buying media meant i actually owned it and could use it as i wanted...

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

what ever happened to jpeg2000. wasn't there some provision for video what that too, or am I making that up.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you make a lot of stuff up
i wouldnt be surprised

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

peepsalot posted:

what ever happened to jpeg2000. wasn't there some provision for video what that too, or am I making that up.

it became motionjpeg and was equally shameful

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

no ur wrong that's frame blending from an ntsc source

p. sure thats not it broseph

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

it became motionjpeg and was equally shameful

mjpg is not jpeg2000

jpeg2000 still has patents owned by some people and not as easily licensable as h.264.

h.264 is a better codec.

hence nobody uses jpeg2000.

I heard that the r3d files are encoded in a "wavelette like jpeg2000" but i'm not sure how that works since it's raw video.

RED also claims their .red files will do 4K masters at 20 megabits per second. and they are pushing that out to theaters.

just think, being in a theater, watching a 4k projection of transformers 6 in less bit rate than your blu-ray

~my megabits~

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
wavelets and dcts are all lossless it's quantization that's the only lossy part

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
and yes bcuz you can define your own quantization matrix in jpeg with the dqt jfif tag you can effectively make a lossless jpeg file

there's still some floating point roundoff but that's insignificant

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Suspicious Dish posted:

and yes bcuz you can define your own quantization matrix in jpeg with the dqt jfif tag you can effectively make a lossless jpeg file

there's still some floating point roundoff but that's insignificant

wow, youre right jpeg still has a full 4:4:4 mode.

and you can store info as RGB? waaaaaat? :psypop:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

jpeg cat compression

no dont put the slider to 0!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

wow, youre right jpeg still has a full 4:4:4 mode.

and you can store info as RGB? waaaaaat? :psypop:

no you can't but you can do the DCT which is lossless and then you set the quantization matrix to divide by one so you lose nothing

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

no you can't but you can do the DCT which is lossless and then you set the quantization matrix to divide by one so you lose nothing

Except self-respect and any hope of living a normal life

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
well yah that was implied

it's always implied

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Kirk posted:

that the pirate bay is still around to this day is pretty lol in the face of all the energy companies are putting into fighting infringement

why are energy companies trying to fight infringement???

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I dled mplayerx the other day it works pretty well

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

got dat wmd posted:

lol """""""""""amateur photographers""""""""""""""

more like lol professional photographers

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Suspicious Dish posted:

according to this you can:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG#Color_space_transformation

quote:

A particular conversion to Y′CBCR is specified in the JFIF standard, and should be performed for the resulting JPEG file to have maximum compatibility. However, some JPEG implementations in "highest quality" mode do not apply this step and instead keep the color information in the RGB color model, where the image is stored in separate channels for red, green and blue brightness components. This results in less efficient compression, and would not likely be used when file size is especially important.

theres rgb in my jay pee gee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

pagancow posted:

theres rgb in my jay pee gee

moooddsss

• Locked thread