Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pecked To Death
Jun 27, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I pretty much only use laser weapons. Pew Pew!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Hermetian posted:

Am I the only one who just leaves the missile slots empty on big ships? Maybe it's just me, but the burst damage just doesn't seem that useful compared to more flux vents or hullmods.

I usually skip missiles unless I can use a large amount of LRMs (Onslaught) or my favorites, annihilator rockets. Dominator cruiser with three annihilator rocket pods in front was fun to play with. Fluxwise Dominator had no problem keeping two Hephaestus cannons and three frontal railguns firing, rockets add a nice flux-free extra oomph on top of that. And it's fun to shoot rockets into things.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I fairly often leave missile slots open on small ships, not so much the big ones, particularly with frigates that I intend to let the AI pilot. The AI in this game is excellent, but there's one thing about it I don't like. I notice at the start of the battle my Venture or Gemini likes to use its missiles before combat is actually joined. Firing one or two missiles ahead of the pack is basically useless because with no other targets, all the enemy fire will be aimed at those missiles and they don't accomplish anything except to waste my CR.

Missiles and rockets are entirely or nearly flux-free, so you have to use them at the appropriate time. When your Wolf is standing toe to toe with that pirate Lasher and its flux at 90% and yours is at 95%, the computer will hesitate for a second to let its flux go down, that's when you launch your Harpoon.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

VERY rarely would I use OP on a few extra vents instead of a pair of Reapers. Or even just some single-shot Harpoons? Never underestimate the ability to crack armor on demand.

Warheart525
Jun 22, 2008

Ab-so-lutely!
There's little more satisfying in this game (vanilla, anyway) than a direct reaper hit against an unshielded foe.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

I'm currently running a carrier group with frigates providing kinetic support. Nothing is more satisying than overloading the shields just as my torpedo bomber wings start their passes.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Hermetian posted:

Am I the only one who just leaves the missile slots empty on big ships? Maybe it's just me, but the burst damage just doesn't seem that useful compared to more flux vents or hullmods.

I leave them empty as well.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Playing Uomoz's I'd throw Bulwark SRMs into every missile slot I had. Little swirly purple pew pew missiles!

Then I noticed they were Frag type damage and I was basically just throwing hail stones at stuff.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

Arrath posted:

Playing Uomoz's I'd throw Bulwark SRMs into every missile slot I had. Little swirly purple pew pew missiles!

Then I noticed they were Frag type damage and I was basically just throwing hail stones at stuff.

I used them anyways: purple missiles are cool! I also tend to mount heavy maulers or thule heavy sluggers on everything with a medium turret, so enemies don't stay covered with armor for too long.

Vayra fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 19, 2013

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Yeah, Bulwarks are great 'cause they're the only spammable missile I've seen that homes in, so even if they don't do much damage you can still have them firing more or less constantly without any thought.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

They also distract enemy PD and can intercept bigger munitions in flight. God knows I don't like having a Cain shot nail a Bulwark missile. When that happens to my benefit? Awesome.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Reminder that all damage types do full damage to hull. Thumpers and other frag weapons are actually one of the best weapons for destroying exposed hull for this reason, and why broadswords can be such a pest because they'll fill the tiny unarmoured segment of your ship with thousands of points of damage from their machine guns.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Misslechat: Reapers only cost 2 OP, and that is worth it IMO.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Any good missile boats? Lasers and projectiles are fun but I want the full on Itano circus.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Single shot Harpoons for 1 OP a piece will also punch a pretty nice hole in armor.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Pseudophile posted:

Any good missile boats? Lasers and projectiles are fun but I want the full on Itano circus.

There was a mod weapon system that did that in Uomoz (I think it's either a Neutrino or a Gedune weapon system), but that problem with missile spam is that missiles that have had their fuel run out can impact friendly ships. Filling the screen with a "full on Itano circus" would probably get your own ship hurt in the process if there are enough dead projectiles flying around.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
I was dumb and lowered my Paragon's shields instead of hardening them when an enemy launched a Reaper Torp at me. A bazillion supply later... :ughh:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone else like to play this game from the perspective of a commodore, putting their flagship on autopilot and just ordering your ships around so you can watch the pretty explosions? :shobon:

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

chami posted:

There was a mod weapon system that did that in Uomoz (I think it's either a Neutrino or a Gedune weapon system), but that problem with missile spam is that missiles that have had their fuel run out can impact friendly ships. Filling the screen with a "full on Itano circus" would probably get your own ship hurt in the process if there are enough dead projectiles flying around.

Who needs practicality? Friendly fire, what's that?

Who am I kidding.. a Lasher would just CIWS them all down anyway.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

-Troika- posted:

Does anyone else like to play this game from the perspective of a commodore, putting their flagship on autopilot and just ordering your ships around so you can watch the pretty explosions? :shobon:

Of course! I'm in this weird middle-phase where I can't take on the resupply fleets, but everyone else runs from me, so most battles are chases. I either preside over everything and just watch, or hop in a Tempest, put the turrets on auto, and toot about, torpedoing things here and there.

Tanith fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 19, 2013

Bruc
May 30, 2006
So I really like playing Frigates in this game and think I will still use one even as my Fleet gets larger/stronger overall, does anyone have recommendations for a good strong one to use that isn't the Hyperion?. I love the thing mind you, even at the high deployment cost I would love it if not for the 75% CR cost, but it seems really good for being able to take on stuff higher level than it. I assume the Tempest is the most practical way to go?.

Also, is Integrated Point Defense Module worth sticking on all my big ships or is it a waste to have it on more than 1-2 of them if they aren't going to be very spread out? the way I do big fights so far is just keeping everyone together and ignoring the objectives while I hunt down the enemy stuff in a pack but I have a hard time gauging how effective a ship with it can lock down an area.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
If I just want to add a bunch of extra poo poo to shoot to the campaign, which mods should I use / are compatible with the latest version?

Edit: or should i just wait for uomoz' mod to get a 0.6 update?

Pecked To Death
Jun 27, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Someone on the last page linked their mod along with 2 others that all work together in .6a.
His mod
Shadowyard Heavy Industries
the Gedune
I feel they add a nice amount of variety.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

andrew smash posted:

If I just want to add a bunch of extra poo poo to shoot to the campaign, which mods should I use / are compatible with the latest version?

The Kadur Theocracy, the Gedune and Shadowyard Heavy Industries are all 0.6a compatible and add new stuff to the campaign. If you install them all together, the Kadur are set up so that they should interact with each other beyond just occasionally crossing paths in hyperspace, too.

E: someone beat me to this reply, I'm flattered! I also update the Kadur almost daily because I'm a burgeoning Starsector addict, so keep checking back and it'll probably have new systems and ships and whatnot.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Bruc posted:

So I really like playing Frigates in this game and think I will still use one even as my Fleet gets larger/stronger overall, does anyone have recommendations for a good strong one to use that isn't the Hyperion?. I love the thing mind you, even at the high deployment cost I would love it if not for the 75% CR cost, but it seems really good for being able to take on stuff higher level than it. I assume the Tempest is the most practical way to go?.

Also, is Integrated Point Defense Module worth sticking on all my big ships or is it a waste to have it on more than 1-2 of them if they aren't going to be very spread out? the way I do big fights so far is just keeping everyone together and ignoring the objectives while I hunt down the enemy stuff in a pack but I have a hard time gauging how effective a ship with it can lock down an area.

You might give the Brawler a try, it's not high-tech so it's not very expensive to field (around 20% CR to field, I think) and it works good when you have a fleet that you can fall back to if you run into trouble. I made a :spergin: post earlier in the thread about it:

Gobblecoque posted:

:stare: So, uh, the Brawler kind of kicks rear end apparently. I've been throwing around the idea of adding one to my fleet for a while and having it stay near my Gemini to make up for its poor fighter/missile defense and I'm finally getting around to it. I bought one and have been toying with how to equip it. Right now I've got it set up with a Hypervelocity Driver and a Heavy Mauler (I've left the two small hardpoints unequipped) and modified it with expanded & stabilized shields, augmented engines, auxiliary thrusters, and expanded magazines. This ship easily mops the floor with any frigates, destroyers, and even a few cruisers in a head-on fight. You obviously don't want to use this in solo campaign action because fighters, missiles, and multiple smaller frigates will nickle and dime you to death, but if good point-defense support is given, I think this ship will be a pretty incredible ship considering its low deployment and logistical costs.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

The Good Professor posted:

The Kadur Theocracy, the Gedune and Shadowyard Heavy Industries are all 0.6a compatible and add new stuff to the campaign. If you install them all together, the Kadur are set up so that they should interact with each other beyond just occasionally crossing paths in hyperspace, too.

E: someone beat me to this reply, I'm flattered! I also update the Kadur almost daily because I'm a burgeoning Starsector addict, so keep checking back and it'll probably have new systems and ships and whatnot.

Just chiming in to say that I really like Kadur ships. The weapons could do with a bit of tweaking, but the ships feel fantastic and it's nice to have a more speed heavy faction buzzing about right now. Especially when said faction coats it's ships in as many railguns and missiles as possible :black101:

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Bruc posted:

IPD is an odd one. The weapons that are the most natural fit for it, tac lasers, have a slow turnrate- so they're only useful with it if you know the ship will only need to cover a limited arc (so for rearline carriers/sniping beam ships where everything can be expected to come from the front). It might work really well against fighters with Ion Cannons- I've not tried it out.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

andrew smash posted:

As other posters have said, the Kadur, Shadowyards, and Gedune are all available. The Neutrino Corp., Hiigarans, Bushi, and Junk Pirates are available as well. I haven't tried out the Bushi yet so if somebody has they can probably talk about it.

jmcg_omg_kekeke
Aug 11, 2006
Lolz
For anyone on the fence, this game is absolutely fantastic and I highly, highly recommend it!

Talkie Toaster posted:

IPD is an odd one. The weapons that are the most natural fit for it, tac lasers, have a slow turnrate- so they're only useful with it if you know the ship will only need to cover a limited arc (so for rearline carriers/sniping beam ships where everything can be expected to come from the front). It might work really well against fighters with Ion Cannons- I've not tried it out.

On one of the bigger capital ships I combined this with the fast turret turn rate mod, the tactical lasers worked out really well. With the points you save from using those instead of the burst PD it ends up being a wash and you gain some extra DPS in a straight up fight.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Bruc posted:

The Lasher is honestly an excellent frigate and at just over 5k unfitted it's probably the most cost effective overall. Other frigates exist but either have poor PD coverage (Brawler) or are prohibitively expensive to actually field (Hyperion) so I've just been rolling 4-5 Lashers with a generalistic layout (3x cheap PD, hardpoints split between kinetic and explosive, 2x single harpoon MRMs) and they just destroy everything.

I would probably consider running Brawlers more often if I could find a frigate that was just a PD platform with like 6+ small mounts. There are destroyers that can do this, but then I'm typically speed locked at the destroyer and the brawlers are more or less wasted. The Lashers don't have perfect PD, but when ordered around in groups they tend to cover each other pretty well and the AI is some kind of ship rotating/shield swinging savant at blocking missiles so it's not really an issue anyway.

quote:

For anyone on the fence, this game is absolutely fantastic and I highly, highly recommend it!
Yeah this game seriously owns already, and in the short time I've been following it a surprisingly large amount of work has been done. With the dedicated modding community, the game would easily be worth $15 as a release title right now. That it's only going to get better in the future is just icing on the cake.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I really wish supplies were cheaper, though.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
So how long until someone mods in Starfleet/Klingon Empire, or the Empire/the Rebel Alliance? I see a Homeworld-based faction has worked its way in, and while I was going to get :spergin: about how the modders' sprites are differing from base game designs, I realized that between the two distinct base game factions (Tri-Tachyon and Hegemony), the art styles aren't entirely consistent within them. Blackrock probably has some of my favorites right now though, they kind of match the robustness and clutteredness of the base game's sprites the best, though there are some arguably prettier, definitely cleaner factions floating around (Interstellar Federation and New Hiigarans come to mind).

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Tanith posted:

Of course! I'm in this weird middle-phase where I can't take on the resupply fleets, but everyone else runs from me, so most battles are chases. I either preside over everything and just watch, or hop in a Tempest, put the turrets on auto, and toot about, torpedoing things here and there.

In pursuit/chase battles now you can click deploy a ship multiple times to send it from the sides of the map not just the front.

I've been putting a tempest on each side to help slow the ships down until my cruiser can catch up.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

VodeAndreas posted:

In pursuit/chase battles now you can click deploy a ship multiple times to send it from the sides of the map not just the front.

I've been putting a tempest on each side to help slow the ships down until my cruiser can catch up.

Another thing that helps make those less annoying is harrying the enemy fleet. After a few harry actions in a row the majority of the enemy ships will be unable to act and be huge sitting ducks for you to shoot at your leisure.

This doesn't make them any more exciting, but it helps you get over the mid-game hump and on to the bigger enemies a bit quicker.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Protagorean posted:

So how long until someone mods in Starfleet/Klingon Empire, or the Empire/the Rebel Alliance? I see a Homeworld-based faction has worked its way in, and while I was going to get :spergin: about how the modders' sprites are differing from base game designs, I realized that between the two distinct base game factions (Tri-Tachyon and Hegemony), the art styles aren't entirely consistent within them. Blackrock probably has some of my favorites right now though, they kind of match the robustness and clutteredness of the base game's sprites the best, though there are some arguably prettier, definitely cleaner factions floating around (Interstellar Federation and New Hiigarans come to mind).

Back when this was still starfarer there was a starwars mod that i played around with, it was fun but not amazing. The ships were huge compared to the base game IIRC so it was pretty fun to load an ISD and watch it poo poo out lasers like nobody's business.

edit: VVVV I hit this point too, that's why I loaded up a bunch of mods and started a new save. There are probably 4x as many targets now.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I'm at the point where everything tries to escape after I initiate a fight. They had their chance to run away, why do I now have to chase them down a second time?

Also, I only have 2x fighters, 2x bombers, the freighter/carrier destroyer, a cruiser and a tug and it seems like nothing will actually fight me.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Haerc posted:

I'm at the point where everything tries to escape after I initiate a fight. They had their chance to run away, why do I now have to chase them down a second time?

Also, I only have 2x fighters, 2x bombers, the freighter/carrier destroyer, a cruiser and a tug and it seems like nothing will actually fight me.

If you have a higher burn level for your fleet than the enemy has for theirs, you can just continually harry their retreat until they all have 0 CR - doesn't take much effort. When you attack and all of the ships have no CR, they just casually fly away and make no effort to fight back. Then it's pretty easy, in a fast ship (like a hyperion!) to go around causing flameouts on the large ships and just destroying the small ones.

I'd prefer if you could just start having surrounded the enemy after continually catching them like that though.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

The Mimic posted:

If you have a higher burn level for your fleet than the enemy has for theirs, you can just continually harry their retreat until they all have 0 CR - doesn't take much effort. When you attack and all of the ships have no CR, they just casually fly away and make no effort to fight back. Then it's pretty easy, in a fast ship (like a hyperion!) to go around causing flameouts on the large ships and just destroying the small ones.

I'd prefer if you could just start having surrounded the enemy after continually catching them like that though.

As stated above, click multiple times on ships when you're selecting ships to deploy to have them come from the left and right side of the map. Because you can only deploy frigates and fighters that way, you're going to end up cutting them off and surrounding them.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

The Mimic posted:

I think it would be even better if, after you've harried them a couple times, the AI would realize that it has no chance of running away from you and instead mounts a doomed last stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
What I don't get is that there seems to be a difference between how the game treats an AI or player retreat. If I begin a battle and then retreat, my ships get captured or destroyed. If the AI does this, they just get to keep running. It'd be more interesting if you had to retreat off the opposite edge of the map.