Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Skyl3lazer posted:

I had a friend with this issue, it seemed to be caused by the Kerbal Alarm Clock mod, if you have that installed.

Nope, no mods yet. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Jeb found some tundra where there shouldn't be.

That's KSC right behind the transmit info hover window.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Maxmaps posted:

In their EVA suits they'll be as distinguishable as female and male astronauts are in theirs.

Edit: And let the record show we're looking at this and this. Not this and -never- this. But maybe this because that one makes the whole office either groan or giggle.

I really, really like that first example. No stupid tits n' poo poo, just a slightly rounded shape that's enough to tell them apart and nothing more. It makes them different, but not "HEY LOOK A GURL" different, if you know what I mean. Also, I vote you make Sally Kerman who has an orange suit. (RIP :() I'm a huge supporter of this sort of thing (female role models, that is- even if they're little green aliens) and even little things like this can make a big difference- maybe allowing a little girl to have a female pilot in her mission to Duna could be enough to inspire her into becoming an astronaut some day. It's sad that there's so few good female role models in games that a little green alien with no personality is a candidate, but it's a hell of a lot better than Sexobject McTits like most games do.

Also, the whole argument that "Kerbals are genderless, we don't need female kerbals! :downs:" is ridiculous bullshit since the Kerbals so far have very "male" traits- male names, the squared off jawline, buzzcut hair, etc.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

borkencode posted:

Jeb found some tundra where there shouldn't be.

That's KSC right behind the transmit info hover window.

That's been around ever since Biomes went in, and seems to happen anywhere there's a "gap" in the biome map - it defaults to Tundra for some reason. If you very carefully move around biome boundaries (with a rover or such) you can get Tundra nearly anywhere.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Luneshot posted:

Also, the whole argument that "Kerbals are genderless, we don't need female kerbals! :downs:" is ridiculous bullshit since the Kerbals so far have very "male" traits- male names, the squared off jawline, buzzcut hair, etc.

Way to take an anthro-centric, gender-norm-reinforcing view, you pig :colbert:

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Luneshot posted:

That was the original idea but the initially placeholder names getting so strongly stuck in everyone's collective heads torpedo'd it. The design also doesn't help either, yeah. Trying to add accessories and hair to their current bodies makes them look like they're in drag, which while not a bad thing in any way, is probably not the kind of representation the female part of our fanbase is looking for.

Edit: I'm also looking forward to this as a test case related to the effects of fair representation in gaming, since our fanbase is primarily male. I've been of the opinion that good female representation is the key to evening out our audience, and if it stays the same way after female kerbals I'll forever hold any criticism of the mainstream audience after being proven wrong. I guess that's part of being an indie dev, we get to experiment things the big guys aren't in any financial position to try.

Maxmaps fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 3, 2014

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?

The good and right thing to do is always good and right, regardless of how many people say it's bad and wrong.

Girls need as many female role models to look up to as possible. Even if those female role models are fictional aliens from an odd little planet named Kerbin.

The overlooked thing is that boys need female role models to look up to too. If they grow up only seeing men in important roles, they get just as entrenched in that thinking. Even with a mostly male user base, seeing women being just as successful as men will have a positive effect.

EpicPhoton fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 3, 2014

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Maxmaps posted:

That was the original idea but the initially placeholder names getting so strongly stuck in everyone's collective heads torpedo'd it. The design also doesn't help either, yeah. Trying to add accessories and hair to their current bodies makes them look like they're in drag, which while not a bad thing in any way, is probably not the kind of representation the female part of our fanbase is looking for.

Edit: I'm also looking forward to this as a test case related to the effects of fair representation in gaming, since our fanbase is primarily male. I've been of the opinion that good female representation is the key to evening out our audience, and if it stays the same way after female kerbals I'll forever hold any criticism of the mainstream audience after being proven wrong. I guess that's part of being an indie dev, we get to experiment things the big guys aren't in any financial position to try.

I'm really glad to hear you take that position- I look forward to seeing what the team comes up with!

(Also, EpicPhoton hit the nail right on the head there. Female role models aren't exclusively role models for girls.)

Now, in entirely unrelated things:
A while back, I had just installed FAR- so this flight was entirely stock except for FAR.
I quickly learned that improved aerodynamics does not necessarily imply anything else being fixed, like turbojets:

No rockets, no RCS, nothing except a turbojet.
Still probably the most impressive thing I've ever done, and it was entirely by chance.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Maxmaps posted:

Thank you for not just going with putting boobs on them and for taking something that seems so trivial seriously. Since you have a few real-life-inspired Kerbals helping out around the space center, if you find a need for someone to explain trajectories and some of the math, I wrote a post on NASA mathematician Katherine Johnson, who gets nowhere near enough recognition for her brilliance and hard work.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
Fun with gravity assists:

Yeah, 35 m/s to capture an asteroid. I can probably brute force this Class B I'm attached to, but this would be really handy when budgets become important or if you want to capture a Class E without 100 tons of NERVAs.

Probably the biggest trick to setting up a Munar gravity capture is that your encounter date matters just as much as periapsis/inclination. If you rendezvous with the asteroid early enough, you can use both pro/retro-grade and +/- radial to change when you encounter the Mun. Then it's just a case of fiddling with how close you get to the Mun and at what phase in the Mun's orbit your encounter is, trying to find some combination that will give you a reasonable capture.

Probably the biggest advantage of using gravity assists is that they're very good for amplifying inclination changes. You can come in on a very inclined orbit and use a gravity slingshot to zero out your inclination relative to the main body.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

GWBBQ posted:

Thank you for not just going with putting boobs on them and for taking something that seems so trivial seriously. Since you have a few real-life-inspired Kerbals helping out around the space center, if you find a need for someone to explain trajectories and some of the math, I wrote a post on NASA mathematician Katherine Johnson, who gets nowhere near enough recognition for her brilliance and hard work.

Seriously. I love the first-name kerbal shoutouts to famous and influential people and can't wait for women to be finally added to the list.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

GWBBQ posted:

Holy gently caress, she's literally a Mentat :aaaaa:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Yup, the new Volumetric clouds in EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements own bones

Also, if youre not using RasterPropMonitor you really really should be

Sweet sweet glass cockpit

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

General Battuta posted:

Holy gently caress, she's literally a Mentat :aaaaa:
I typed up the post I linked to because she's someone I really admire and linked to it here because she's an awesome and brilliant person who deserves a tribute in the quasi-historical KSP story. I mean, NASA tested the flight computers that were supposed to calculate landing points and evaluated them on the criteria "does it match Katherine's calculations"?

I would love to see a tutorial with targeting trajectories done by Katherine Kerman

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

GWBBQ posted:

I typed up the post I linked to because she's someone I really admire and linked to it here because she's an awesome and brilliant person who deserves a tribute in the quasi-historical KSP story. I mean, NASA tested the flight computers that were supposed to calculate landing points and evaluated them on the criteria "does it match Katherine's calculations"?

I would love to see a tutorial with targeting trajectories done by Katherine Kerman

Thank you so much for writing that up. The story is amazing on several levels - not least because it so shatteringly disproves the narrative that women and POC in that time period were too oppressed to be involved in math, or science, or tear-jerkingly awesome human endeavors to reach out and touch the universe.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

That's fantastic, I had never heard about Katherine. Definitely seconding that she should be a tutorial Kerbal- tutorials are the first place that new players go, and having a homage to her not only shows respect for an important figure, it also reinforces the whole gender-equality thing.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Sweet, new version! Time to mess with the new parts :woop:

The mission originally called for five kerbals, but a sixth decided to come along.

Looks like a fun ride!

Obligatory glamor shot

Transfer stage is gone, the over-engineered landing stage can take it from here. Circularizing is for chumps.

Landed! :toot: Haven't gotten around to researching landing legs yet, so I'm kicking it old school.

Alright, everyone off for the group picture!

With plenty of soil, goo, and material bay samples in tow, the group moves the reserve fuel into the main tanks, drops the empties, and heads back to Kerbin. Circularizing is still for chumps.

Situation is nominal.

Just before the parachutes fully open...

And just after! Huzzah, he didn't die.

Successful powered splashdown

poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo

Huzzah again, he didn't die. Just going to detach him from the claw, and...

Huh. Hell Kraken attack. It's worth noting that every single time I dropped a kerbal from the klaw in this splashed-down ship, they would disappear upon hitting the water. I never tried it with the klaw submereged, because it didn't stay submerged long enough. From there, if I hit [ or ] to switch to the hitchhiker, the Kraken attacked. It was very consistent, but I'd only tried it with that particular ship on that particular mission.

From after a restart/reload. Kerbals on the klaw can still do EVA reports and review soil samples they may have taken. Because they're considered flying though - even when the ship holding them is distinctly not flying - they can't take new soil samples from here, or give ground-based EVA reports.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maxmaps you said something about a new escape tower?

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Acquire Currency! posted:

Maxmaps you said something about a new escape tower?

Notmypants
Jan 3, 2014

Pants pants moose pants.

General Battuta posted:

Thank you so much for writing that up. The story is amazing on several levels - not least because it so shatteringly disproves the narrative that women and POC in that time period were too oppressed to be involved in math, or science, or tear-jerkingly awesome human endeavors to reach out and touch the universe.

I don't wanna sound snarky, I don't know what you mean but I don't like what what you said implies. One pioneer woman who had to be a math prodigy genius to make it on the all-male team is not a sign of there being no oppression. Quite the contrary. Thinking that it "shatteringly disproves" the narrative of them being non-oppressed raises the question of why it didn't happen before or why was the bar so freaking high for her. It implies that all the other women or persons of color were either uninterested or unqualified in technical fields and that it was their own fault for being poor or uneducated.

I think it's a pretty cool thing that in 200 years, our history books won't say "and then white males went to space and they were just the best."

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Not commenting on what that looks like.

:science:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Luneshot posted:

That's fantastic, I had never heard about Katherine. Definitely seconding that she should be a tutorial Kerbal- tutorials are the first place that new players go, and having a homage to her not only shows respect for an important figure, it also reinforces the whole gender-equality thing.
Also her name starts with K.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Notmypants posted:

I don't wanna sound snarky, I don't know what you mean but I don't like what what you said implies. One pioneer woman who had to be a math prodigy genius to make it on the all-male team is not a sign of there being no oppression. Quite the contrary. Thinking that it "shatteringly disproves" the narrative of them being non-oppressed raises the question of why it didn't happen before or why was the bar so freaking high for her. It implies that all the other women or persons of color were either uninterested or unqualified in technical fields and that it was their own fault for being poor or uneducated.

I think it's a pretty cool thing that in 200 years, our history books won't say "and then white males went to space and they were just the best."

I totally get where you're coming from, I didn't mean to imply there was no oppression- just the opposite. I'm just pushing back against the narrative that says it's not realistic to have women or POC in historical fiction or fantasy, or any environment where oppression was a real powerful force - not realistic because, the argument goes, they were so oppressed they couldn't do anything; that's just How It Was, stop asking for more active women in your elf books, stop asking for black people in your rocket stories, they couldn't possibly have been there.

Which is bullshit, of course; people fought back against oppression in all kinds of ways, whether by winning their way into NASA or by working in politics or just by living their lives and surviving. 'There couldn't be a black woman involved in high-level work on the Apollo Program because black women weren't allowed' is absolutely an argument I'd expect to hear from the same people who say 'it's unrealistic to have women in fantasy video games because they were all housewives and prostitutes'.

I'm not trying to argue that sexism and racism were not immensely powerful and awful, and I'm not trying to imply that people who 'only' lived ordinary lives were somehow failures. I just think Katherine Johnson is another example of oppressed people reaching out to claim agency and defy the social order however and wherever they could. People who say that a whitewashed male past is 'realistic' don't know about this stuff, because we as a culture have been unnervingly effective at erasing these stories.

It's not about oppression not being real, or about condemning oppressed people for not seizing their own bootstraps (that's obviously bullshit). It's about breaking the narrative of who worked on these projects and who didn't.

Does that make sense?

0x0hShit
Mar 11, 2011
With the release of 23.5, is the NASA/ARM pack pretty much done and locked in as far as Squad's concerned, Maxmaps, or is there a chance we might see more stuff in the future based on the pack? Such as more stock 4M parts, or an upgraded command module with more seats like Orion, or saayyyyyy the RS-KS-25 from the 4x cluster parted out to single 1M form factor with some extra vectoring range? It seems like the sizing would be about right, although the same could be said about the Skipper based on the engine bell. Also on the subject of 23.5, how can nobody be talking about how they added flags to the manned command modules? Even the Mk 3 got it! :neckbeard:

What can I say? It's the little things.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
So I decided to check my science progress after getting a ship into orbit, and when I went to the tracking station to get back to it, I noticed I had like fifteen asteroids nearby. I checked them, and by the end I had a dozen objects, all at least class C, and one class E, due to smack into Kerbin between 60 and 150 days in the future. And then I couldn't take control of my craft, because I didn't "own" it (?).

I guess that's my cue to get some asteroid tugs developed.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Manoeuvre nodes persist through EVAs now. :neckbeard:

e: Unless that's from Kerbal Alarm Clock's new update.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
So can asteroids get a trajectory by me checking on them at least once per arbitrary time period or something?

This thread has been educational for me today. I learned what an escape tower is for. Yeah, I know. I know.

Also fun trick. With the new incredibly overpowered reaction wheels get a pod spinning at some RPM multiple of the speed of light (or FPS anyway) and go EVA. Instant high speed catapulted Kerbal. Only thing is they too are spinning for some reason.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
First Mun mission in the new version. Launched Jeb in the newly-tweaked SpaceGoer 1 (I don't actually iterate my designs, this is like the third tweak of the basic SpaceGoer, and if I do iterate them it's just for fun, the previous SpaceReacher line went from 1 to 2.4 with one change), circularized with two full stages left, then spent one getting into a Munar encounter. Since I only had a small tank and an LV-909 on my final stage, I figured I couldn't land and get back, so I figured I'd just do a flyby. Wound up re-encountering the Mun's SoI twice on the return flight and coming in on a polar trajectory at about 3 km/s when I hit atmosphere. Jeb blazed like a tiny sun before the chutes deployed. It really seems like that joint upgrade helped, because the ship held together with five chutes suddenly yanking on it. I was still going about 200 meters/second when I hit 500 meters and the chutes opened fully.

Wound up pulling crew and EVA data for high Kerbin and high Munar orbit, and got at least half a dozen EVA reports from having Jeb stick his arm out the hatch to try and grab rocks. Came back with a total of 247.9 glorious sciences.

e: Those sciences were not spread across a square kilometer of ice cap, sorry to disappoint.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 3, 2014

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

0x0hShit posted:

With the release of 23.5, is the NASA/ARM pack pretty much done and locked in as far as Squad's concerned, Maxmaps, or is there a chance we might see more stuff in the future based on the pack? Such as more stock 4M parts, or an upgraded command module with more seats like Orion, or saayyyyyy the RS-KS-25 from the 4x cluster parted out to single 1M form factor with some extra vectoring range? It seems like the sizing would be about right, although the same could be said about the Skipper based on the engine bell. Also on the subject of 23.5, how can nobody be talking about how they added flags to the manned command modules? Even the Mk 3 got it! :neckbeard:

What can I say? It's the little things.

This post is a very good post. I encourage people to read it if they haven't already.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Of all the C7 parts, which generally look a bit dated, the Mk3 cockpit stands the distinction of the texture being so poor that I remember it standing out as looking bad all the way back when KSP looked like this:

and when C7 was still a mod.

What I'm trying to say here, is the C7 parts really need updating in line with everything else at some point, because they vary in quality between "a bit out of place" to "was this game made in 1997?" (edit: lets be fair, more like 2001)

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 3, 2014

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
The C7 cockpit gets a nicer texture in the Tiberion shuttle system pack. Personally I just use B9 for planes.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
It'd be nifty if any debris that escapes Kerbin's SOI gets un-tracked. If it came back around nearby, it might show up as "unknown", by tracking it you could see if it was debris or an asteroid, like if its worth your time going after.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Okan170 posted:

It'd be nifty if any debris that escapes Kerbin's SOI gets un-tracked. If it came back around nearby, it might show up as "unknown", by tracking it you could see if it was debris or an asteroid, like if its worth your time going after.
It'd be a fun way to replicate J002E3, but I'm not sure how the program can know what debris to keep around and which to forget about. Untracked asteroids are just deleted after a while to keep the game from bogging down with 10,000 simulated gravity tracks.

Shanakin posted:

What I'm trying to say here, is the C7 parts really need updating in line with everything else at some point, because they vary in quality between "a bit out of place" to "was this game made in 1997?" (edit: lets be fair, more like 2001)
Aye-firmative. Though I'd prefer just ripping them all out entirely and creating a new set of airframe parts -- along the lines of B9 but with some restraint for number of parts and better texturing. The C7 wings aren't as modular as they look at first (the main issue being that lift surfaces are direction-sensitive so rotating a wing 90 makes it useless), and the mk3 set is horrible to work with (CoM and connection points not in-line? what could go wrong!)

SA has a weird dislike of C7 sometimes for no good reason, but I can say without bias that the aerospace parts are old and busted.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Well when I say upate, I kind of mean in the same sense the original parts got updated... that is entirely replaced because they were bad (albeit charming in their own way).

Off the top of my head really only the jets seem to match the overall quality and that's because they got pass over already. The wings, fuselage, control surfaces, intakes and cockpits at best seem underwhelming and at worst not only look bad but are a pain to actually use.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 3, 2014

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
I had about ten failed launches in a row, and then this showed up in my feed:

Sometimes it is just so drat difficult to build a space rocket

Worth a chuckle.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Also while I'm complaining, I was disappointed to see the new super-large SRBs are fitted with TVC air skirts but still don't gimbal. Awww.

(I understand it's just lifting the aesthetics but not the functionality)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I just had a weird bug with the radial parachutes where they didn't become part of the staging stack and I couldn't manually deploy them either. Of course I didn't notice this until I was already on a re-entry trajectory towards Kerbin. RIP Jebediah. :(

RemoteTech chat: I recall someone talking earlier about an easy way of setting up a comm network around Kerbin that didn't rely on perfect geostationary orbits and was more forgiving of imperfect orbits, but I can't find the post now.. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Well there's a few ways. A bunch of comsats in Molniya style orbits can work and don't need to be especially precise. They rely on having high hang times at apoapsis for coverage such that they spend 2/3rds of their time at high altitudes and because of the great speeds near periapse only about 1/3rd near the planet with minimal coverage. Cons: needs more satellites. Pros, it's lazy as hell, you can mostly eyeball it and you can make cool patterns with it.

Another really lazy way to get near perfect coverage and double as the basis of a system wide network is to put the biggest dish you can on two satellites and sit each one just outside kerbin soi. Ie in the same orbit as the planet but slightly offset ahead of and behind the planet. Combine this with a single approximately geostationary satellite above KSP. This will result in longer than necessary signal delays if that ever becomes a thing again.

edit: there's also the school of thought of just put a lot of them up in random orbits. If you have enough you're probably goign to have close enough to 100% coverage that who cares.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Collateral Damage posted:

RemoteTech chat: I recall someone talking earlier about an easy way of setting up a comm network around Kerbin that didn't rely on perfect geostationary orbits and was more forgiving of imperfect orbits, but I can't find the post now.. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
You probably mean Molniya orbit

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Finally getting around to sending my Duna mission after a long hiatus.

-Only Science:science: comes from missions with Kerbals
-No respawn
-Life Support
-KAS
-FAR
-Procedural Fairings
-DRE
-That Camera thing/command pod
-That mapping addon

Dramatis Craftonae:

D.O.M.E.1 (Acronym meaning lost to antiquity)

317 parts, 231tonnes, 14 crew

Mapping Sats & Extra Food, O2, Water (3x of these)

123 parts, 46tonnes, 0 crew

Kerbin->Duna window in 26d,22h
Duna->Kerbin window in 233d,2h

Will they safely depart Kerbin? Do they have enough Life Support to sustain them? Update follows.

• Locked thread