Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

ForeverSmug posted:

That sort of brings me back around to my problems with Aria for a while: the curve was all hosed up in favor of endgame stuff, and nothing you did at the beginning mattered after a while. Symphony did a way better job of giving you interesting toys early in the game.

It's kind of an issue that once you start being able to get unique gear you start being able to steamroll everything though, which kind of makes things less interesting. Most of the enemies are balanced like rpg enemies and are just sacks of HP. Really what konami should do is make enemy encounters interesting to fight with the tools they give you.

Perhaps the same could be said of all modern game design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

That's not an endorsement I just think it's not unique to Aria or the other RPGlite Castlevanias. Progression mechanics that aren't lovely are something that game developers have a hard time wrapping their heads around for some reason. I was harping on it in another thread but fhe idea that you have to earn your fun is beyond asinine and if video game developers took more influence from designer board games instead of just reiterating designs from the horrible echo chamber that is most modern video game design things would be a lot better a lot faster.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Portrait of Ruin is my favorite non-SotN, mostly because it has so many silly little details that you can tell the people making it were having fun. I just wish it didn't occasionally freeze when I use one of Jonathan's subweapons. It's the only non-BioWare game I've ever had crash on consoles.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Progression mechanics are loving hard to balance because just a hair in the wrong direction and you get SotN and a hair in the other direction and the player doesn't care whether they level up because it's not going to help. I think developers would rather have a game that you can outlevel and outgear than one where it feels like the progression system isn't benefiting the player.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Progression mechanics are loving hard to balance because just a hair in the wrong direction and you get SotN and a hair in the other direction and the player doesn't care whether they level up because it's not going to help. I think developers would rather have a game that you can outlevel and outgear than one where it feels like the progression system isn't benefiting the player.

I guess what I'm trying to say is more along the lines of level up mechanics are largely worthless when they're just numerical and should be dropped in favor of progression allowing for more moves at your disposal that you have to learn in order to dispatch increasingly more complexly-fought enemies. Skinner boxes are for when you need to kill time, not when you actually want to play a game.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

I guess I wasn't clear. Sotn and it's decendants are fun precisely because of that, like morrowind. The issue is that they're balanced in the other direction, so your cool unique tools are pretty much just window dressing. Like, you should start out with stuff like the vortex sword day one then start throwing Medusa heads at you immediately.

Like, you know that npc with max luck in morrowind, and how he's still hard even with max strength, so you can't fight him like a normal enemy? That's what I'm talking about.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Heavy Lobster posted:

SotN broke my D. I will never find a Video Game Character as attractive as Alucard and can only get an erection from looking at spritework and character portraits of Alucard. Thanks Konami except unironically, this is a great way to live

This, but unironically.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Castlevania lament of purchase.

Curse of darkness has some cool stuff going and some dumb poo poo like timed stealing that's frame perfect on a couple of bosses. playing as Trevor is fun as hell. The St. Germaine fight is genuinely awesome.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
I remember seeing Alucard in Aria of Sorrow and that he was going by the name "Arikado" and I was like wow I would think after being alive for so many centuries he could come up with a better name when making a cover identity.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Concordat posted:

I remember seeing Alucard in Aria of Sorrow and that he was going by the name "Arikado" and I was like wow I would think after being alive for so many centuries he could come up with a better name when making a cover identity.

I had a look at the wiki (after finding the page for the Lords of Shadow Alucard, who apparently he used to be Trevor Belmont of all people) and it says his name in Japanese is basically "Mirage/Illusion with Horns".

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

after finding the page for the Lords of Shadow Alucard, who apparently he used to be Trevor Belmont of all people)

Why do people let American studios ever make games in real series

They literally don't care

Death to gaijin

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

It's because lords of shadow Dracula is a belmont

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

But everyone knows Dracula is satan

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
castlevania was nearly perfect and the only things the sequels ever added that improved the concept was different characters and level select

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ForeverSmug posted:

Death to gaijin

Worse... they're Europeans!!! (Spaniards I believe)

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ForeverSmug posted:

Death to gaijin

But is Lords of Shadow worse than DmC? They had three whole games to gently caress things up in.

Although if you told me Maria Renard was Death incarnate, I'd probably agree with you.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

quakster posted:

castlevania was nearly perfect and the only things the sequels ever added that improved the concept was different characters and level select

wow

you mean Castlevania was a flawless game from the start and not in any way subject to the limitations of it's time or currant design philosophies

You mean they got it perfect the first try

Woah

bitch

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

But is Lords of Shadow worse than DmC? They had three whole games to gently caress things up in.

If you tried to compare the quantities of fail on dmc, lords of shadow, and the American silent hill (infinite) the universe would cease to exist

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Go ahead and post a link to that egpraptor video I goddamn dare you

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
egoraptor occasionally makes a good point but gently caress if I'm sitting through thirty minutes of him screaming at having some kind of spastic attack to hear it

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

I love how the Zelda video came out and goons were tripping over themselves to be all WOW EGORAPTOR REALLY MAKES A GOOD POINT when his point really boils down to "I don't know how to loving play 3d games which is why old games were better"

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Taint Reaped Again.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

ForeverSmug posted:

Go ahead and post a link to that egpraptor video I goddamn dare you

that egoraptor video owns because he deliberately ignores how awesome castlevania 3/rondo are so that his argument doesn't fall apart

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Heavy Lobster posted:

I love how the Zelda video came out and goons were tripping over themselves to be all WOW EGORAPTOR REALLY MAKES A GOOD POINT when his point really boils down to "I don't know how to loving play 3d games which is why old games were better"

He explains how well Mega Man X teaches you how to play the game, but people who actually watch his LPs say he ignores pretty much everything the games try to tell him.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

Heavy Lobster posted:

Perhaps the same could be said of all modern game design

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
When does lords of shadow stop being dog poo poo

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Heavy Lobster posted:

It's boot as bad asT all that, but it goes next to what I said- game flows changed as the series went on. Zelda became about experiencing a quest instead of having one- telling a story and presebting you with obstacles, instead of the original where its more of a sandbox game.Neither is wrong, but some people prefer one or the other.

What it tends to come down to is that for a lot of people older or simpler means better. Egoraptor, for instance, hates any instance of a story in a game.

Goons only like it because Ocarina is popular and they can agree with him to be contrarian

thuly posted:

lmfao

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

thuly posted:

it only gets worse

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

ForeverSmug posted:

It's boot as bad asT all that, but it goes next to what I said- game flows changed as the series went on. Zelda became about experiencing a quest instead of having one- telling a story and presebting you with obstacles, instead of the original where its more of a sandbox game.Neither is wrong, but some people prefer one or the other.

the problem with all this is that he didn't use the original zelda 1 (literally the only zelda game that has ever had any sort of sandbox elements to it besides maybe the ocean in wind waker), but instead used LTTP for most of his comparisons. OOT is literally just LTTP remade in 3D and instead of going to the dark world you time travel, both games have tons of talking and both games guide you by the nose.

also he just straight up did stuff to make his point look better, like when he spent an embarrassingly long time to kill a bat in OOT to try and show how awkward fighting in 3D is compared to LTTP, as if a projectile weapon that locks onto enemies to let you kill bats from the other side of the screen isn't something you get five minutes into the first dungeon in OOT

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

darealkooky posted:

the problem with all this is that he didn't use the original zelda 1 (literally the only zelda game that has ever had any sort of sandbox elements to it besides maybe the ocean in wind waker), but instead used LTTP for most of his comparisons. OOT is literally just LTTP remade in 3D and instead of going to the dark world you time travel, both games have tons of talking and both games guide you by the nose.

also he just straight up did stuff to make his point look better, like when he spent an embarrassingly long time to kill a bat in OOT to try and show how awkward fighting in 3D is compared to LTTP, as if a projectile weapon that locks onto enemies to let you kill bats from the other side of the screen isn't something you get five minutes into the first dungeon in OOT

I remembered him talking about Zelda 1 a bunch, and using lttp as a "this is where the problems started" thing since it was the first to have cutscenes

But yeah, all the things he points out as limiting factors like death mountain being blocked off are exactly the same in LTTP so idg what his prob is

What was his issue with having 3d combat? It was something weird. His issue with encounter design at least kind of made sense tho

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ForeverSmug posted:

What was his issue with having 3d combat? It was something weird. His issue with encounter design at least kind of made sense tho

Basically he seems to have trouble with object permanence and could not anticipate the return of a circling spike thing, if I remember right. It was a dumb video with mostly dumb complaints and subjective tastes.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Was it literally "this is bad because it's hard"? From the guy who complained sotn was bad BC it was easy?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

p. sure he complained combat was too easy when most of the enemies just make you wait in one place until they show their weak spots

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
as someone who hasnt watched the internet guy's review i will say that i played both games last year and ocarina of time has aged a lot worse in every single respect.

the combat in the 2D zeldas is this great game of 12-on-1 dodgeball and it strikes me as funny that the 3D ones didnt build on this but created an entirely new combat engine around what it seemed like link "should" be doing based on the objects that are used as symbols for the player's action verbs. but that's OK because without relatively weak 3d zelda fights there would be no Metal Gear Revenge Guy or Dark Souls

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

swamp waste posted:

as someone who hasnt watched the internet guy's review i will say that i played both games last year and ocarina of time has aged a lot worse in every single respect.

the combat in the 2D zeldas is this great game of 12-on-1 dodgeball and it strikes me as funny that the 3D ones didnt build on this but created an entirely new combat engine around what it seemed like link "should" be doing based on the objects that are used as symbols for the player's action verbs. but that's OK because without relatively weak 3d zelda fights there would be no Metal Gear Revenge Guy or Dark Souls
Pretty sure both of those take their inspirations from other sources.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yeah for as popular as oot is i dont think any other game cribs from it all that much

Dec 26, 2012

i assumes he means dark souls wrt the z-targeting thing

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

you seem like a castlevania man. A real castlevania head. A case of the castlevanias. Heard you were into some serious... castlevania. Is it true what they say about you and castlevania? yeah I get that sense about you

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

01011001 posted:

i assumes he means dark souls wrt the z-targeting thing

Yeah and the precision cutting in Revengeance, which reminded me of Skyward Sword but a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Just finished a playthrough of Harmony of Dissonance and I gotta say I never fully appreciated before how nice it was to not include any of those stupid loving hidden rooms that you have to smack randomly at walls for

• Locked thread