Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Two things I noticed about this episode:

1. The stuntwork/stunt-doubles are suddenly MUCH better and more acrobatic? Roy in particular was pretty insane.

2. Brandon Routh's character is... completely hilarious and awesome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Shakugan posted:

2. Brandon Routh's character is... completely hilarious and awesome?
Thought they were going for a male Felicity with some of his lines.

Also drat, super sad Sara got off'd like that. :smith:

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Did the logo arrow start getting more complicated or was it always like that? The characters and glyphs all over it seem new.

Also, holy gently caress did they kill her quick. Was not expecting that.

Jax-Guy1
Apr 25, 2011
I'm fairly certain that the person who killed Sara was a character who we haven't met before, someone who would be familiar to those who follow casting news and such. (but NOT Ra's al Ghul)

Komodo

UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Goddamn! This loving show. That ending. I would say that I can't believe they would do that in episode 1 but who am I kidding? There is no stopping this show.

Next week... :suspense:

Zaggitz posted:

Hahahahahahahahahaha. Suck it Laurel haters.

Pretty much.

seaborgium posted:

Did the logo arrow start getting more complicated or was it always like that? The characters and glyphs all over it seem new.

It's Chinese-y. He's in China.

UberAaron fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 9, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

seaborgium posted:

Nope, that's new. The arrow itself is a new design, too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Haha, the "Laurel's journey begins in episode 1" quotes are pretty funny now.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

seaborgium posted:

To add to what the other guys said, this is what the logo looked like last season:

The new one is radically different.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Nice catch

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Sober posted:

Thought they were going for a male Felicity with some of his lines.

He was much more confident though, which distinguishes him from Felicity.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I love how the same Asian actor [Asian boss at the boxing match] has been used now no less than 3 times this series. Previously seen as fisherman who helps find Oliver on the Island & thug who canvas the restaurant Oliver & Tommy go to to eat and get intel [right before Oliver shows off his flawless, "cheque please" gesture].

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

UberAaron posted:

It's Chinese-y. He's in China.

He's been in China.

Dead Snoopy posted:

I love how the same Asian actor [Asian boss at the boxing match] has been used now no less than 3 times this series. Previously seen as fisherman who helps find Oliver on the Island & thug who canvas the restaurant Oliver & Tommy go to to eat and get intel [right before Oliver shows off his flawless, "cheque please" gesture].

The guy he Sriracha'd right?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Oh gently caress you Arrow

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
This show :allears:

Figured they'd hit that twist at the end at some point this season. I know some people will be upset, but we all knew it was coming, and I'd rather have them do it early on to give us a whole season to see how these character arcs develop. Much better than dragging it out over several months just for the sake of drama. Moving at this pace means they have a plan in mind, and that's usually the sign of a solid foundation for a show. It's gonna be great.

Also glad Brandon Routh is back on tv. He was great on Chuck and is one of the nicest guys around. He deserves more work, and seeing as he's more than a bit of a nerd, this should be right up his alley. I already love his Palmer and can't wait to see how he stacks up. Although how he's playing him would make a great Booster Gold instead

UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

oh jay posted:

He's been in China.

:thejoke:

Anyway, was the island explicitly stated as being Chinese territory? Is the Chinese government cool with a supervillian supermax in their sovereign territory?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

UberAaron posted:

:thejoke:

Anyway, was the island explicitly stated as being Chinese territory? Is the Chinese government cool with a supervillian supermax in their sovereign territory?

China probably likes having more super secure secret jails.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I enjoyed Brandon Routh's Ray Palmer a lot. I hope he and Felicity keep the tech fight going on for a while.

Roy and Oliver work well together and Roy got seriously acrobatic over the summer.

GODDAMMIT WHY DID THEY KILL SARA?!

There's no way that Barrowman killed Sara. She and the archer clearly knew each other and as a far as we know, Sara and Merlyn have never met.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Some Numbers posted:

I enjoyed Brandon Routh's Ray Palmer a lot. I hope he and Felicity keep the tech fight going on for a while.

Roy and Oliver work well together and Roy got seriously acrobatic over the summer.

GODDAMMIT WHY DID THEY KILL SARA?!

There's no way that Barrowman killed Sara. She and the archer clearly knew each other and as a far as we know, Sara and Merlyn have never met.

Sarah is Laurel's sister who was friends with Tommy. It's not unlikely.

I'm pretty mad they killed Sarah that way. Shot and tossed in a dumpster. lovely way to kill off her charachter

Eddain
May 6, 2007
WB should've announced a "Who Shot Sarah Lance?" contest at the end of the episode, like what The Simpsons did with "Who Shot Mr. Burns?"

The winner gets to be shot on TV as a no name thug.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Bad Moon posted:

Sarah is Laurel's sister who was friends with Tommy. It's not unlikely.

I'm pretty mad they killed Sarah that way. Shot and tossed in a dumpster. lovely way to kill off her charachter

Yep. Despite being a League-of-Assassins-certified-badass, I get the impression (especially from this interview) that she was killed off essentially just to motivate other characters. That's really an unfortunate way to go.

(Although to be fair, she did seem terribly rusty - she took forever to take out the generic thug accompanying Vertigo.)

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I like the theory that Thea did it. Someone Sara would both trust and be surprised to see, who is being trained to shoot black arrows, and who has a vendetta...against the Arrow.

Or it's just Ra's al Ghul. Whatever.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Xealot posted:

I like the theory that Thea did it. Someone Sara would both trust and be surprised to see, who is being trained to shoot black arrows, and who has a vendetta...against the Arrow.

Thea with a voice modulator and a bow is someone Sara would trust? I guess?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can't wait to see komodo in the next episode

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

So glad this show is back. That loving ending :stare:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Some Numbers posted:

Thea with a voice modulator and a bow is someone Sara would trust? I guess?

Sara doesn't know 3 crucial pieces of evidence here
1) Thea wasn't "in the city"
2) Thea left with :argh:
3) Thea is :argh:'s daughter

She could have assumed that Thea was just using a bow for protection.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Ugh, I went and swam for an hour and I'm still mad. Arrow, you have failed this C(a)ity :argh:

Also, Barry talking to Ollie on the rooftop gets way more tragic. When Ollie says "I've made mistakes" Felicity and him just split and Sara is getting pincushioned. :smith:

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 9, 2014

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Welp, after Sara lived through the previous finale I had (small) hopes that the producers liked her enough that she might stick around and something else would be the catalyst for Laurel taking up the Black Canary mantle. (After all, if Sara's off being an assassin most of the time, there's no harm in there being two of them.) Guess not. :stare:

I would have rather seen Oliver/Felicity go for another episode or two, just because it felt kind of pointless to squash it right away. It didn't even bring much value in the "troll the ollicity tumblr shippers" department, because nothing could top the season 2 finale there.

It's weird that the Arrow/Flash crossover bits from both premieres have stuck out and felt a bit off, given how well Barry's episodes fit into Arrow last year. Hopefully they'll either get rid of these minor crossovers and save it for the full-blown crossover episodes, or get better at integrating them.

Minor quibbles though, episode owned. :allears:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You watch Felray become a thing now, Tumblr does love a good name merge

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
When Sara's killer said 'Hello Sara' It sounded distinctly like an Australian accent . Read into that what you will.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It wasn't aussie man, i can tell you that for a fact

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Eddain posted:

WB should've announced a "Who Shot Sarah Lance?" contest at the end of the episode, like what The Simpsons did with "Who Shot Mr. Burns?"

The winner gets to be shot on TV as a no name thug.

That would be the best prize. But only if you got a souvenir arrow.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Rocksicles posted:

It wasn't aussie man, i can tell you that for a fact

It sounded a lot like slade. Wasn't the guy who was cast as Ras Australian?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Australians get colds man, could of been a Australian with a really bad cold. Or it's someone using a Voice Manipulator which is kind of weird to use if the person knows you.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, lots of unresolved questions - I can't even say how they've handled her death since that's so clearly going to be next week's episode.

I really don't want to start saying that Sara was "fridged", since I think she's existed as an important of the show's universe, but oof. My one issue with the flash pilot is the total lack of strongly written women (the pilot features CW Love Interest, Dead Mother, and Frigid Bitch Co-Worker), but I told myself "But hey, Arrow learned its listen! They've got Caity!"

Hah. No.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

The Lord Bude posted:

It sounded a lot like slade. Wasn't the guy who was cast as Ras Australian?

It's Joe :tinfoil:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Got money on it being Komodo sent by Poppa Ghul. Merlin and DarkThea come to the rescue, Laurel in outfit MK1 for the final act. Diggle running Suicide squad for next spin off.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

JohnSherman posted:

gently caress YOU SHOW

JohnSherman posted:

Nobody loving wants Laurel as Canary. Not a single drat person.
You are the voice of my brain.

So disappointed and annoyed with the episode. Hit us full on with the show's worst points - bad dialogue, predictable cliché story arcs (Oliver has to fight himself, Lance has to not overdo it, Brandon Routh is basically Isabel Rochev, etc.) and a lot of incredibly boring shipper fodder. Then to top it off, they kill off one of the best characters in a random way that kind of felt like a 'gently caress you'. :smith:

Only positive points were that the action sequences still make other comic book shows look like student films (Roy's moves in particular). Oh and I was really happy to see Caity again before the badness happens - plus her death was suitably brutal. I just wish it had felt like less of a fart in the plotting.

By the way, what did her killer say before she got arrow'd? I couldn't hear.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

VagueRant posted:

By the way, what did her killer say before she got arrow'd? I couldn't hear.

Hello, Sara.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Senerio posted:

Hello, Sara.
Thanks. I guess that means her killer definitely knew her identity, so it's gotta be the League, right?

Also Caity posted this:
https://twitter.com/caitylotz/status/520045141705240576

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

VagueRant posted:

Thanks. I guess that means her killer definitely knew her identity, so it's gotta be the League, right?

We have an ex-league member who presumably recognized her, and his new protege who are also suspects. (I suspect Thea myself.)

• Locked thread