Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Valgaav posted:

I like that you keep Crash() on all the time. It only seems right for Red to keep her own ability equipped.
Crash() is one of my, if not the, favorite Function in the game. For 1 Memory you get to lower enemy resistances and stun them with a cheap attack, if not just using it as a Passive in order to get a damage reduction. Amazing all around, but it does make for a few same-y battles, which I apologize for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Olive Branch posted:

Crash() is one of my, if not the, favorite Function in the game. For 1 Memory you get to lower enemy resistances and stun them with a cheap attack, if not just using it as a Passive in order to get a damage reduction. Amazing all around, but it does make for a few same-y battles, which I apologize for.

Don't. The battles are not the draw of this game in any way, shape or form, and I sorta would be okay fast-forwarding through them. It's alot about the implications and the the self vs. what everyone else wants of you, from my reading of it, and never leaving your own Trace behind fits that.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
The battles always feel like a puzzle, so loading it your own way is a-ok! Once we get all the programs, I'll end up posting my favorite combo of death. :getin: is a pretty apt description

I do appreciate you showing off all the limiters though, will you be mixing and matching them once they're all unlocked, or keeping them all on at once.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Here's this week's update! I will also start including Function and Limiter data that I unlock from now on on these update posts, but I'll keep them spoilered under the video link if you don't want to ruin the surprise.

Again, some heavy Sandbox stuff. There's a large Performance Test from 3:05 to 18:22 (when I level up from it), and a short Planning Test that shows off our newest Function from the level up. The rest is "story".

Function data:
Limiter data:

OP has been updated with the Get() Function data, the new Function we get in this video, and the newest Limiter. I also went through every Subject biography and standardized them with regards to neatness on the images. Lastly, I made the other two Function biographies ahead of time so future updates will have OP updates as well. No more waiting for images!

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Feb 14, 2015

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Interesting, the bike was "protected" somehow from the Process.

But oh god those "Men." What the hell, the Process has REALLY gotten unnerving. :gonk:

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
I just realized that we're quickly running out of people to explain things to us, especially with our swordly friend getting Spine'd again. If this game doesn't explain itself after all this 'ooh, we're weird and mysterious' buildup, I'm going to be very cross.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

It broke my heart to hear him singing along with her humming and then just...stop. Like he'd given up.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

yamiaainferno posted:

It broke my heart to hear him singing along with her humming and then just...stop. Like he'd given up.

He's singing the wrong song, though. Not sure what's playing in the background and what Red's humming to, but it sure as hell isn't The Spine which is (appropriately, in a way) what Transistor's singing. Makes it even more sad, he's aware she's humming something but can't even tell what it is.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Aumanor posted:

He's singing the wrong song, though. Not sure what's playing in the background and what Red's humming to, but it sure as hell isn't The Spine which is (appropriately, in a way) what Transistor's singing. Makes it even more sad, he's aware she's humming something but can't even tell what it is.

Related: I never understood why they used The Spine for that one scene near the beginning of the game and never again and not for, y'know, The Spine.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
This is the point where you can start to break the game's difficulty in half with the right combination of functions: Void+Crash+Spark gets you the maximum Void damage increase in just 2 uses with another damage multiplier thanks to Crash and Tap has probably the best combination of damage, AoE and planning cost in the game in addition to its life-drain ability.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Listening to The Transistor is kinda heartbreaking. :smith:

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
There is literally no way this can possibly have a happy ending.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Fedule posted:

Related: I never understood why they used The Spine for that one scene near the beginning of the game and never again and not for, y'know, The Spine.

I think the idea is supposed to be that The Spine reminds the Transistor of The Spine (the song) in-universe.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Yeah, you might notice that all the enemies start out just being named "Process", and only gain their actual name after being called so by the Transistor (resulting in the hilariously generic "man" that he comes up with for the latest enemy due to being under the effect of the spine.)

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Update time! There is a pretty long (about ten minute) fight near the start of the video that's optional to engage, and rewards us with nothing except praise from the Transistor. The final bonus video will show the "peaceful" solution, but in this one, Red's a fighting machine.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Royce's voicework sounds absolutely spot on for what a scientist should sound like

Spoilered because it's right underneath the update.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Veyrall posted:

Royce's voicework sounds absolutely spot on for what a scientist should sound like

Spoilered because it's right underneath the update.
Anyone who's watching this for the first time should reread the limiters descriptions now that you've heard Royce's voice.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

He sounds like a disinterested Ian Malcolm.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not gonna lie, when I played this I thought his voice acting was just bad, like Zia in Bastion when she finally talks. It does seem to make a bit more sense now.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Olive Branch, I think we need to sit down and talk about your obsession with Void(). I'm pretty sure it doesn't do anything to Cells.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Valgaav posted:

Olive Branch, I think we need to sit down and talk about your obsession with Void(). I'm pretty sure it doesn't do anything to Cells.
But sometimes in Turn() it cracks their shield open after execution! Or at least it seems that way.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Olive Branch posted:

But sometimes in Turn() it cracks their shield open after execution! Or at least it seems that way.

Watch the video again. It doesn't.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Valgaav posted:

Watch the video again. It doesn't.
The game lied to me! But then again, Turn() always fibs.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

A two-for-one update this time! I'll be out of the country for two weeks so I'm putting this week's and the next week's updates together.

Function data:
Limiter data:

To finish this special update, I also have a special video vote. But it's not just a plain old vote.

I have three open-ended questions for you, and I want you to justify your answers.

:question:

What four Functions define Red?

What four Functions define the Transistor?

What four Functions define Cloudbank?

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Posting before I finish watching, but for god's sakes the Haircuts have 10 hp, you do not need to Void them three times

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Crash(), Jaunt(), Mask(), and Cull()
Red wants to escape and be free of the Process and the Camerata. However, her grief over the loss of her lover is channeled into a righteous fury that makes her the Process and the Camerata's worst nightmare.

Help(), Void(), Spark(), and Tap()
The Transistor is stuck between its destiny as a tool of creation, and its use as a tool of destruction.

Switch(), Ping(), Bounce(), and Get()
Cloudbank is always changing, and always full of energy. People are drawn to it and are changed by it, and they in turn change Cloudbank.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Valgaav posted:

Posting before I finish watching, but for god's sakes the Haircuts have 10 hp, you do not need to Void them three times
I'm not using Void() to make them easier to kill, but to lower their attack power... I'm trying to play it safe by ensuring that if they don't die because I somehow miss on Turn(), at least they won't immediately put me in the red.

(Yes I have a problem with Void() but this was all recorded alongside the previous episode so give me a break :()

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 27, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Royce's writing and voice acting is amazing and just makes these sections.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Well, I don't know that I can say that there's four each, but I can name one per, just one.

Red, she's Crash(). Even if that wasn't her, wasn't her Trace, it's still her at heart. It's good for keeping things a little bit away, for disrupting things, and for tearign down what needs to not be there. It's not the strongest, or the cleverest, oh no. But it's what you've got, and it can always do something.

For the Transistor, well, I'd say that's Help(). Not Breach(), no, despite our friend stuck inside. The Transistor, it's a tool, a creation, even though you can ascribe it its own personality and its own actions. It's nothing without the person wielding it telling it what to do. Nothing. But if you get it, and you can order it, well...it's a mighty strong ally to have, isn't it?

Cloudbank is a little harder. For me, that's probably Switch(). Now, I can hear you out there, thinking that's a little harsh, but just hear me out. What've we done for Cloudbank? What kept us from running away and living out in the Country? The Process could've had the place. But it had our hearts. It Switched us over to its side early on, and we just never escaped. Never escaped. Just live there for a day, get the slightest tough of it on you, and...and there it is. It's caught your heart.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Crash(), Breach(), Load(), Spark()
Disruptive, Reliable. Extensive, Penetrating. Explosive, Area-effect, Chaotic, Splitting
Red is a spirit of change in a city that's always changing. Her talents, while originally focused upon civic planning, turned from shaping a city into shaping and changing people. Her music could do what The Process cannot, and what the Camerata wished to do by force: Shape the soul of a city.

Help(), Flood(), Tap(), Void()
Transformative, Auspicious, Obstructive, Lingering, Regenerative, Leeching, Amplifying, Depressive
The Transistor itself is a tool, useful for changing and remaking a city into something better and far more grand than the whims of the city's users. The Camerata saw that the whimsy of the citizens could not create a lasting dream, nor one that would provide inspiration and appreciation, and took it upon themselves to shape the future of their city. The Transistor would be their hammer, to build that future, and to destroy anything that stood in their way.

Ping(), Switch(), Bounce(), Jaunt()
Hypnotic, Double-crossing, Rapid, Efficient, Chain-reactive, Deflecting, Evasive, Immediate
Cloundbank is a city of dreams. But it’s a dream no matter how far you go; I can never reach reality, trapped in an endless nightmare. The whims of a city, always changing, can hold no weight, and support no future. When everything changes, nothing changes.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

MachuPikacchu posted:

Crash(), Jaunt(), Mask(), and Cull()
Red wants to escape and be free of the Process and the Camerata. However, her grief over the loss of her lover is channeled into a righteous fury that makes her the Process and the Camerata's worst nightmare.

Help(), Void(), Spark(), and Tap()
The Transistor is stuck between its destiny as a tool of creation, and its use as a tool of destruction.

Switch(), Ping(), Bounce(), and Get()
Cloudbank is always changing, and always full of energy. People are drawn to it and are changed by it, and they in turn change Cloudbank.
I am fond of this interpretation.

Sindai posted:

Royce's writing and voice acting is amazing and just makes these sections.
It really is. When you're playing this game, and you've gone through all this poo poo, seen what you've see, this dissembling scientist is the last human alive along with you. He is soft-spoken and hesitant, and even when he's confessing and owning up to his atrocities he makes himself out like an observer who's over his head in all this. It's infuriating. And it's why there's an actual in-game counter for the number of times you have hit the Proxy, because you will attack that fucker on your first playthrough.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Okay so, theorizing on how all this works from someone who's never seen the ending before:

They're all in a computer. Just full stop, computer bits that have become self-aware and built a society. They don't know it, because how could they? Some people might suspect it, but they'd be treated the same as conspiracy theorists in our world. The Process is just that, it's the computer processes in the background that make everything happen. They aren't too picky about what of the computer they use, because there's not supposed to be a part denied to them - and if there is, well, that's a problem to be cleaned up.

The Transistor, it made the area they were living in habitable. Stopped the Process from defragging it and reclaiming it. Nobody's quite sure how, but that really didn't matter. While it was in its Cradle, Cloudbank could be rewritten by committee, and nobody could touch it. While one person was holding it, that one person had full command of the Process, and everything they did. Sweet deal, huh? Except that the Process is everything inside the computer, so whoever held it was essentially god. It's trouble, going up against God as a mortal. Especially an angry one. So, once someone's holding the Transistor, there's not much you can do but hope they give it up. Of course, that person's not constantly going 'Process, begone!' like the Cradle is, so pulling the Transistor out is tricky.

The Traces? They're the actual programs the people represent. The metaphor unraveled. Every person has them, because every person is them. The Transistor doesn't understand the sentience of them, it just takes the program and loads it into itself. You don't get to know everyone who's in there, because you don't have the software to tell all of the available programs on your computer - the list would be too long! But if you know a certain program is there, you can keep dragging it up. Our unknown friend must have been close to Red, and he only got closer as time went on, so he stayed at the fore.

If we had just known about the Cradle, and the metaphor, and everything else, earlier, we could have avoided this whole mess. But then, would Red have listened? I'm not sure. She might easily have just called them liars and moved on. Only when Royce showed up in a way designed to defeat the Transistor (which, how?) and to allow himself to be protected, then we listened. The rest of the Camerata was just 'those assholes who tried to stab us'. Which is fair.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

OK, I'm going to hafta ask the thread for a bit of interpretation - what precisely is meant by - 'When everything changes, nothing changes'? I can't say an easy interpretation comes to my mind, but I would think that the kernel of meaning behind it is that without a singular point of reference in the past, one cannot determine if something altered from that state or not? Would that seem correct in the context of this game?

Edit - I mean, it seems as if the Camerata... unleashed? For lack of a better word, the Process so as to place some kind of an order upon the city of Cloudbank; but it turned into some kind of hegemonising, monomaniacal... environment? Did they release it because they wanted some type of an anchor point?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 27, 2015

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Samovar posted:

OK, I'm going to hafta ask the thread for a bit of interpretation - what precisely is meant by - 'When everything changes, nothing changes'? I can't say an easy interpretation comes to my mind, but I would think that the kernel of meaning behind it is that without a singular point of reference in the past, one cannot determine if something altered from that state or not? Would that seem correct in the context of this game?

That is a valid interpretation.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
So did we all just get sucked into the Transistor? How does Royce now have one? ...Aaaaagh, what a place to leave off.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Samovar posted:

Edit - I mean, it seems as if the Camerata... unleashed? For lack of a better word, the Process so as to place some kind of an order upon the city of Cloudbank; but it turned into some kind of hegemonising, monomaniacal... environment? Did they release it because they wanted some type of an anchor point?

This is all my take on things, so, grain of salt:

The Camerata's problem with Cloudbank is that everything is changing constantly. There are administrators to keep things in check, but everything from the color of the sky to the spread of Cloudbank's urban sprawl is dictated pseudo-randomly by people voting at OVC terminals. Today things are "like this", tomorrow they are "like that"; then the day after tomorrow they are back to being "like this". So there's constant change, but it isn't directed in any meaningful way. The Camerata wanted to harness the power of change and change the city for the better (for a given definition of "better").

I'm not 100% sure on this, but the info gleaned from function files indicates that the Process were behind the changes to Cloudbank before Royce found the Transistor in Fairview. The Transistor gave the Camerata access to the Process and let them control it. Their objectives, then, became much easier to achieve because the Transistor gave them the ability to change the city directly. So they figured out how to absorb people into the Transistor to unlock Functions, and decided to absorb people who would allow them to manipulate the Process and influence Cloudbank in subtle ways (and whose disappearance could be explained away).

Given Royce's talk about letting Grant Kendrell "borrow" the Transistor, it seems that Royce was the one in charge of handling the Transistor, and the one who best understood it. When Sybil told the rest of the Camerata that Red was alone (which was implied to be rare), they broke protocol and let Grant take the Transistor to seize the opportunity to absorb Red into it. Sybil's Function data tells us that Sybil lied about Red being alone; I believe her objective was for Grant to kill Red's lover with the Transistor, probably so she could keep Red to herself.

Grant arrived at the Empty Set and there was a fight between him, Red, and her lover. Grant killed Red's lover, but this caused the Transistor to negate Grant's control over it; in essence, it logged him out as its User. Red's Trace Data was also recorded into the Transistor during the fight, but I think the traumatic circumstances of the recording made it so that Red's voice (her ability to speak) was trapped in there too. In any case, the Camerata lost the Transistor, which meant that they lost control of the Process.

For most of the game, Red has been the one in control of the Transistor, its User. This means that she has access to the Transistor's Functions; however, since the Transistor is not in its Cradle, she can't control the Process. When she placed the Transistor in its Cradle, she "logged out" as its User. Presumably, the Transistor tried to reestablish a connection with its previous User, Grant Kendrell, but since Grant was already dead it was left without a User, so it absorbed the only two people left in Cloudbank, Red and Royce, and trapped them inside itself. This is the "login screen", if you will. Now they have to fight over who gets to log back in. This is where we are as of the latest update of the LP.

About the Country: it's implied that the Country is the afterlife. However, it's also implied that nothing exists outside of Cloudbank, so leaving the city is equivalent to dying. Cloudbank is implied to be a virtual reality of some sort, so pretty much any reality that isn't within Cloudbank is considered to be the Country/the afterlife. Hence why Red and Royce are in a place that kind of looks like the Country.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
Okay, I'll try this

Red: Crash(), Breach(), Jaunt(), Spark()

Red's the chaotic force that brings light from the darkness, upsetting the plans others have for her. Really don't see her as embodying Mask() as she's much more upfront about her actions. I gave her functions that embody linear, powerful and explosive movement, with Jaunt() showcasing how she's really not wher you think she is (see the Camerata's plans to use her, and her being the doom of the Camerata).

Transistor: Mask(), Cull(), Void(), Tap()

You never know anything about Red's lover, even Cloudbank doesn't have him registered in its systems. I gave him functions that embody that lack of presence in the open and the powerful rock that he is personality-wise. I have half a mind to switch the standings of Cull() and Crash() between the two protagonist.

Cloudbank: Ping(), Get(), Purge(), Load()

"When everything changes, nothing changes" is another way of saying "All is dust". Cloadbank seeks out its inhabitants wants and tranforms itself into whatever that is: Ping() and Purge() seem key. I added in Load() expecting some form of debate from the many strata of society within Cloadbank, although that might be reaching.

Neige fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 27, 2015

Thyself D. Mad
Jan 14, 2015
Well, thats one way to end an episode. Can't wait for the next one.

For Red: Crash, Jaunt, Spark, Cull.
It was her and her boyfriend that sent the world into crashing down, but through no fault of her own- just an unexpected variable that derailed a plan. She is constantly moving and seeking answers and a solution to the process, as well as keeping an ember of hope alive that things can be made better, and finally seeking to destroy the process for what they have done to her and her city.

For the Transistor: Breach, Help, Load, Void.
It was the Transistor that broke the very nature of the city, letting the Process roam free, but through no fault of it's own. It is thanks to it and the man inside of it that Red got so far, helping her overcome the obstacles in front of her as well as gaining new abilities to help her and itself to grow stronger, as well as learning more about the world and people around her. However, so much about it is unknown, but not because it is purposely hiding the facts, but simply because their are no answers to be found.

For Cloudbank: Get, Switch, Bounce, Mask.
Cloudbank was constantly getting new requests to change, switching from one form to another and bouncing between the various whims of the people, but it just masked the fact that the city was not really changing for the better of the people, but it was just staying the same- a place where the majority lived as they liked, and it could be changed to suit them at a moments notice.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Just a technical note, but YouTube finally stopped being idiots and allowed the video thumbnails on Polsy to work properly. I love the art in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Olive Branch posted:

Just a technical note, but YouTube finally stopped being idiots and allowed the video thumbnails on Polsy to work properly. I love the art in this game.

On this note, is there any chance of getting a clean pic of the background of the level-up screen? It'd make a great background.

• Locked thread