Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It'd be great if the guy flying through the rings was just there and had nothing to do with the rest of the game. It's possible, too--it could be something that was meaningful in development, and got almost completely removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
You should've Saved to a new spot so you could go back and try to like skip rings to catch up with it.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

It's your future, MassRafter. Always just a bit ahead of you, and forever damned to fly through more and more rings.

Or it's your past, and Superman 64 is a closed time loop.

Edit: if the rest of the game weren't such trash I would almost say that was a cool plot mystery or foreshadowing thing. But after seeing everything else, we know that if it's not nothing at all, it's going to be something dumb.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 13, 2015

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

You gotta admit, it would be hilarious if it turned out to be the one thing they did well.

CaptQuick
Apr 30, 2009
I honestly don't know what the flying object was but it looked a little like Mala (the Kryptonian woman we saw in the first action level).

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Serious recommendation if the 'flashback' portion of "The Godfather Part II" didn't do much for you, try to track down "The Godfather: A Novel For Television", which recuts "Part I" and "Part II" into a continuous, chronologically-told narrative with a ton of previously-deleted footage. There's a lot more to the flashback segments that flesh out the characters.

Regarding the "Superman" movies, I think the one really solid piece of "Superman" media out there are the Fleischer/Famous Studios cartoons made in the early 40s. They're on Amazon for pretty cheap, do be warned that there's some incredibly racist caricatures at points.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
The flying person looked like Mala to me, too.

As for the 'Sub Way'...I don't remember anything about the level, except that it might be the one I consistently had to restart due to falling though the world geometry and not being able to get back in. I had thought that was the Star Labs level, but after watching that, I don't think so anymore.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

pathetic little tramp posted:

You should've Saved to a new spot so you could go back and try to like skip rings to catch up with it.

Luckily the game lets you replay levels whenever you want. I mean I guess you'd never want to but in theory they are there to be played. I'll see what happens.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Nevermind the mystery ring raider and wormhole, that ring you had to fly over a building to get because of the passageway being to narrow was pure dickery.

I can't see why people wouldn't tune in for Ride videos, but I can certainly hear why. That 10 second loop they call "music" for the ring segments is so very monotonous and not even your voice is enough to drown it out. Since I don't recall you mentioning it before, what are your thoughts on this games soundtrack? From what I can tell there's been maybe 4 pieces of it through the whole game. Have you just tuned it out after the countless hours you've had to endure it?

GauRocks
Jun 2, 2008
The mystery person flying through the rings is indeed a very tiny Mala, and a friend and I spent quite a while trying to figure out what she was and why she was there. There's actually some beta footage of Mala flying around the city before you fight her in the air. I won't link to it because the very next scene in that video shows a level that we haven't seen yet, but my best guess is that it's another case of "we already have this flightpath coded in, let's just use it." For the first time in the ring levels, it gives you some actual reason to be interested. The tiny size is either because it was meant as a placeholder graphic that never got replaced, or because they knew it was silly to have you deal with Mala here and making her tiny was their best way to make her unidentifiable.

For Superman fans: This game is based off the show where Mala was female and this post was awkward to read without gender pronouns.

GauRocks fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 13, 2015

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Wait. She's just small rather than far away?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Well probably the idea was originally to have you chase various villains through the ring stages to get to the stage that featured them, they had the Mala piece in as a test, then when everything got re-ordered, Mala's ring stage was no longer in sync with her action stage. Then they scrapped the chase the villains idea and forgot to get rid of the Mala test.

Edit: Also, the 'easy' game doesn't let you go further than STAR labs, and it's very likely they just decided to test that mode, they may have in fact forgot there was a Superman mode.

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 13, 2015

GauRocks
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, the model is just very small. I managed to touch her by skipping rings and she's about the size of Superman's head.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GauRocks posted:

Yeah, the model is just very small. I managed to touch her by skipping rings and she's about the size of Superman's head.

That's incredible. Given everything that has (and hasn't) gone into this game I shouldn't be in awe, but I am. I've gotta record that tonight.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I like how, for literally the first time ever in the game, you were actually interested in the plot and why something was happening. And then the answer turned out to be 'it was a bug leftover from another, more interesting version of this game.'

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Gothsheep posted:

I like how, for literally the first time ever in the game, you were actually interested in the plot and why something was happening. And then the answer turned out to be 'it was a bug leftover from another, more interesting version of this game.'

It's exactly what should be expected, though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I went back in and learned some interesting things about Mala. What we've been told isn't entirely true. Is GauRocks involved in some sort of Superman 64 conspiracy? What do the lizard people want with him and why do they want to cover up the truth? You won't find the answer to that, but you will see pretty much everything we can do with Mala in the Sixth Ride including some interesting glitches!

Bonus Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0obW2vsI-zk

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I can actually explain what was going on with the wormhole!

If you'll notice, when Mala flies though the wormhole, it transforms into a ring. It looks like the game counts it as a ring even though it doesn't look like one until after Mala flies through it.

So I'm guessing the 'good job, Mala is trapped in the virtual world!' wasn't sarcastic. It was a relic from when the level was supposed to have you racing Mala though Metropolis to close the wormhole before she could escape. The reason you got a 'Lex wins' when you flew through it the first time wasn't because you trapped Mala, it was because you flew though a grey ring (Which the wormhole counted as)

If you look carefully, the time you triggered the wormhole and didn't get the game over, the ring behind it was yellow before you flew though, and turned green when you did.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

There's a perfectly good reason Superman turned Darkseid over to the police: so he wouldn't invade anyone's home to sit on their couch

http://darkseidchillingonacouch.tumblr.com/

GauRocks
Jun 2, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

I went back in and learned some interesting things about Mala. What we've been told isn't entirely true. Is GauRocks involved in some sort of Superman 64 conspiracy? What do the lizard people want with him and why do they want to cover up the truth? You won't find the answer to that, but you will see pretty much everything we can do with Mala in the Sixth Ride including some interesting glitches!

I'm going to blame the size confusion on her tiny legs and the fact that I hit her while she was flying - at a 90 degree angle to Superman. That is definitely a less detailed model than the one she has in the dam. I had no idea that you could land next to her without triggering her, though. I'm not surprised that she can die, just because almost everyone in this game can die whether they're supposed to be able to or not. That wormhole doesn't actually seem to be in the beta, which is probably the weirdest thing about it. Someone had an idea for the boring ride stages beyond "fly through a million rings" but didn't have time to finish it. Either that or they cut it because trapping someone in a virtual world forever is a pretty ironic thing for Superman to do given his current circumstances.

Now I kind of want to test if it's possible to beat Mala to the wormhole with her still alive, just to see what her AI does when you trap her forever. I'm betting she just goes through the rest of the rings, but I'm secretly hoping that she stops to fight you. Congratulations on making a video that actually made me want to play this torture simulator again.

EDIT: I played around with it for a while. it's really easy to get ahead of her at the start, but if you do it, she almost always desyncs from her flight path, goes straight up for a bit, and then despawns. Once she gets ahead of you, it is extremely hard to catch up. I was able to narrowly beat her a few times without her flying off the path and despawning, but I couldn't find her afterwards, so I'm pretty sure she vanishes when the wormhole does no matter what. Nothing interesting happens in the rest of the level even if you do beat Mala. The only other fun thing I managed to do was walk up to her and shove her off the cliff before the ring, then go back two rings and trigger her to start flying. She goes back up to the same height as the first ring, then just flies around in little circles like an idiot until you get close.

Oh, and I know it's a little late in the LP to bring this up, but if you ever miss a text box because of mashing, hit L. It brings up the last text you saw.

GauRocks fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 16, 2015

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Raise the Titanic! was my favorite adventure novel as a kid. I was really excited when I found out they had made a movie about it, and then really disappointed after watching the movie. :smith:

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Please don't Proton Jon us. We need closure!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Testikles posted:

Please don't Proton Jon us. We need closure!

I was really sick last week I'm going to try to record the next update later today.

GauRocks
Jun 2, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

I was really sick last week I'm going to try to record the next update later today.

Awesome. There's some stuff coming up that I've had to restrain myself from posting about several times and I'm looking forward to finally being able to talk about it with people who have seen it.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Really, if MRT abandoned this, I wouldn't blame him.

Superman 64: The Game So Bad No LPer Can Finish It

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WE'RE BACK!

We also managed to make no real progress. Superman heads into the SUB WAY or "Metro" to fight a bunch of guys. I die a bunch and get frustrated, enjoy!

Part 17 (Metro First Attempt): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9y1vB3br8U

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's really amazing how every level continues to bring new lows.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Drive-by Superman tackling.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
You just sound so defeated and dead inside at the beginning of this video. Your misery is delicious.

IN SHORT TIME YOUR FATE WILL BE SEALED MASSRAFTER.

*half way through the video*

Why is this game so bad?! Why? Dear sweet god, what did humanity do to deserve such a terrible game?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
It's a special type of game that can sap the soul of someone who's not even actually playing it.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I was really expecting that box to fall on top of the train and zoom away into the void.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Suspicious Cook posted:

It's a special type of game that can sap the soul of someone who's not even actually playing it.

But why?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Shoeless posted:

You just sound so defeated and dead inside at the beginning of this video. Your misery is delicious.

Go back and watch the first video again.

GauRocks
Jun 2, 2008
This may be my favorite video in the entire LP. It's definitely my favorite failure run so far. I think the best part was when you walked up to those doors hoping that the game would glitch you past them and just end the level. If any level in this game deserves a gamebreaking glitch that lets you skip the entire level, it's this one.

I think the other posters nailed it. This game saps your soul and the soul of anyone even watching it. It never stops finding new and creative ways to make people miserable. As far as officially released console games go, this really is the worst game that I have ever seen or played. And this is one of the four levels that I found to be the most memorably awful. Level 6 was another of those four.

If you're wondering what the other two are... we haven't seen them yet.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
My favorite thing about the SUB WAY is that the game also can't handle high fps, so in the tunnels the game runs too fast and Superman flies around like a crazy person.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Welcome back!

You know the level design is great when you get lost in what's essentially a straight line. There was one room you got frustrated with because you thought it was an empty room when you actually had cleared it already.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
This game puts way too much of its difficulty in a bunch of repetitive samey rooms with no indication of what's what. This reminds me of the Parking Garage really.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

GauRocks posted:

Aren't there only two more levels after this?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I find the trains especially funny in this level. Because the game seems to have no idea what to do with them. They come right out of nowhere, moving too fast and being too large to really be avoided, and then they hit the player, and the game has no idea how to handle collision between the player and a fixed object, so it just freezes the player in place while they pass through you, and then you move on. I have no idea why they exist at all. It would be really easy to just say 'subway traffic has been shut down' and maybe even have people supposedly held hostage in cars or something, but no.

The only purpose they serve at all seems to be giving you something to fly missiles into, which is hilarious from an in-character stand point. "Oh no, they shot a missile at me! Quick, I'd better use this commuter train as a shield to protect myself!"

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GauRocks posted:

This may be my favorite video in the entire LP. It's definitely my favorite failure run so far. I think the best part was when you walked up to those doors hoping that the game would glitch you past them and just end the level. If any level in this game deserves a gamebreaking glitch that lets you skip the entire level, it's this one.

I think the other posters nailed it. This game saps your soul and the soul of anyone even watching it. It never stops finding new and creative ways to make people miserable. As far as officially released console games go, this really is the worst game that I have ever seen or played. And this is one of the four levels that I found to be the most memorably awful. Level 6 was another of those four.

Hearing the next ride stage is so bad is kind of a downer.

• Locked thread