Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

"Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: DON'T accept your ObamaID when it comes in the mail -- write "Return To Sender" on it and drop it back into any USPS mailbox! Whistleblowers reveal that it's designed to make it easier to round up civilians for internment in FEMA camps!! You won't hear this in the MSM! Please forward to all the Real Americans that you know!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Chicken Butt posted:

"Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: DON'T accept your ObamaID when it comes in the mail -- write "Return To Sender" on it and drop it back into any USPS mailbox! Whistleblowers reveal that it's designed to make it easier to round up civilians for internment in FEMA camps!! You won't hear this in the MSM! Please forward to all the Real Americans that you know!"

Kind of an own goal when the law is eventually changed to make ObamaID the only valid way to identify yourself at a polling booth. "sorry, we had to do that to stop all the illegals from voting".

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Abner Cadaver II posted:

MARK OF THE BEAST

It was really cool that one state passed a law to specifically not allow drivers licenses to meet federal ID standards only to realize later that their citizens might actually want to enter an airport for some reason.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
you don't actually need id to fly on an airplane, try it out next time if you're feeling brave

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

you don't actually need id to fly on an airplane, try it out next time if you're feeling brave

i have done this so i can confirm it's possible. though i'm white so ymmv

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
yes dont have id ready i love waiting in line longer because of dumb dumbs who dont have it

i also think having id should be a requirement to vote BUT there should be some easy id for all citizens to have access to, as it stands its just a way to punish people who dont have id for whatever reason

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
lol if you think any legislator supporting those laws gives a poo poo about voter fraud

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

baw posted:

lol if you think any legislator supporting those laws gives a poo poo about voter fraud

Why should they? It's a problem that doesn't exist.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I've never had a hand up my rear end, and frankly I'm not brave enough to try it.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

It was really cool that one state passed a law to specifically not allow drivers licenses to meet federal ID standards only to realize later that their citizens might actually want to enter an airport for some reason.

i live in az and let me tell you, having a dumbfuck playskool license is loving frustrating. the state / county police here can actually detain you (if they want to push the issue) if the only id you have on you is your az driver's license because it doesn't meet federal standards for identification. :kheldragar:

Thump! posted:

I've never had a hand up my rear end, and frankly I'm not brave enough to try it.

relative to what you might hear in GBS, i can inform you this is a highly overrated experience and i would not recommend you attempt it voluntarily

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

homeless poster posted:

i live in az and let me tell you, having a dumbfuck playskool license is loving frustrating. the state / county police here can actually detain you (if they want to push the issue) if the only id you have on you is your az driver's license because it doesn't meet federal standards for identification. :kheldragar:

az legislature is full of literal insane conspiracy theorists, it owns

:negative:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
We're the best. We have a special committee in the house devoted to states rights:
http://www.azleg.gov/CommitteeInfo.asp?Committee_ID=31&Session_ID=114

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Speaking of states' rights, how come no republicans argue in favor of sanctuary cities on states' rights grounds?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Speaking of states' rights, how come no republicans argue in favor of sanctuary cities on states' rights grounds?

Same reason they don't like legal marijuana or assisted suicide. States have the right to do things I like, not the things I don't.

Also it's called states' rights, not cities' rights. :bahgawd:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Gyges posted:

Also it's called states' rights, not cities' rights. :bahgawd:

that's actually a thing it's called dillon's rule

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

They'll be down with sanctuary cities once all those persecuted Christians start looking for a place to go

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

my guess would be it's because repbulicans don't want anything for latinos except to have them deported en-masse. giving them sanctuary cities is just encouraging more of their drug addicted rapists to cross the border.

now, why you don't see dems/libs arguing for sanctuary cities on states-rights basis, i have no idea. i have a sneaking suspicion that it's due to a NIMBY problem, where they like using latinos as voting leverage, but don't actually want to risk having to live near them. dems/libs in general also seem more in favor of the federal govt solving problems than states taking their own measures, but of course they're okay with states doing their own thing when it's legalizing weed or gay marriage. :shrug:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Immigration isn't really a right or left issue, it's a "which side the immigrants vote for" issue. Pot committing to supporting immigrants unconditionally means continuing to do so even when the immigrants vote the other way, the democrats aren't gonna do that.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Why are you bringing up the Democrats in a discussion about left vs. right?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Helsing posted:

Why are you bringing up the Democrats in a discussion about left vs. right?
this is a thread about american political parties and im not taking your bait asfdhhsd

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

The Democrats are a party with a left wing, that's different than being a leftwing party. This isn't just some pedantic point it's directly relevant to the argument you made. You might as well say that workfare and Glass-Steagal are leftwing issues because Clinton signed them into law in the 1990s and he was a Democrat. Except you shouldn't because defining "left wing" as "whatever the Democrats are doing right now" is a really dumb way to analyze American politics.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
like a bunch of bitter old white people left behind by the times.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Dante80 posted:

Question. Can you start a national (and free) ID program via the DMV or sth..and do it as a President via an executive order?

They introduced the motor voter bill (National Voter Registration Act) in 1993. It allows you to register to vote when you get a drivers license. All states must allow it.

The problem is, a lot of people don't drive. Many live too far away from DMVs. DMVs are woefully understaffed, and only open odd hours. Some states have cut down on them being open twice a month for only a few hours, then passing laws that you need an ID from them to vote.

Philthy has issued a correction as of 17:05 on Sep 23, 2015

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Philthy posted:

They introduced the motor voter bill (National Voter Registration Act) in 1993. It allows you to register to vote when you get a drivers license. All states must allow it.

The problem is, a lot of people don't drive. Many live too far away from DMVs. DMVs are woefully understaffed, and only open odd hours. Some states have cut down on them being open twice a month for only a few hours, then passing laws that you need an ID from them to vote.

niicee

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

drat what state has DMVs only open twice a month? That's crazy.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

probably kansas and wisconsin nowadays

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yes. very rural areas that are hundreds of miles between anything at all.

http://www.safemotorist.com/wisconsin/dmv_locations.aspx

It makes sense financially, but if you're tying it to voting, it's something that should be open every single day with normal hours, and full handicapped access. People should not care that two people are being paid a full time salary at each location, even if they just see one person a month. It's voting, it's important.

Philthy has issued a correction as of 17:27 on Sep 23, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

The DMV office in the county where I grew up is only open once a month.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

America was hosed when the Republicans abandoned Reconstruction. Without breaking the back of white rule in the South it was inevitable that race would become a wedge issue against any future labour movement, and these voter ID laws are really just the latest example of how the legacy of slavery is a cancer on the Republic. By leaving the social and economic basis of slavery intact the prospect of genuine popular self rule became impossible and the country became a plaything for bankers and industrialists.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Philthy posted:

Yes. very rural areas that are hundreds of miles between anything at all.

http://www.safemotorist.com/wisconsin/dmv_locations.aspx

It makes sense financially, but if you're tying it to voting, it's something that should be open every single day with normal hours, and full handicapped access. People should not care that two people are being paid a full time salary at each location, even if they just see one person a month. It's voting, it's important.

quote:

Iron River
8:30 a.m. – 11 a.m. – 4th Wednesday in January, March, May, July, September and November"
That sounds straight out of hitchhiker's guide.

Still, there are at least a lot of them in the state, you gotta take a day off and drive for but most weekdays have at least one open. I'm curious as to the place in Wisconsin that is furthest from an open-every-week DMV.

Obviously this is a problem if you don't drive, though living in Florence or Iron River without being able to drive probably makes life hard in a lot of far more worse ways than not being able to vote. Taking a day off to go to the DMV is obnoxious but that's true everywhere from the most dense city to the most rural area. Having to drive 2.5 hours to green bay each way to go to the DMV doesn't sound much worse to me than waiting for 5 hours at the NYC one.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
now that the fault lines are becoming clearer and the fracture is inevitable, we should have a better idea of what the party will look like post-trump

haha jk it's a clusterfuck and i can't see any way that they can hope to gain national relevance again

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Hillary will actually be a very competent GOP President, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Do you think something like this could ever happen? http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...it_back_to.html

• Locked thread