Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Please do not be rude to Stone Toads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Lacedaemonius posted:

Y'know, I think Samus could have squeezed through those bars, the gap was pretty big. She might have to go on a pauldron-targeting weight watchers program though.

You mean ball form and a really tricky bomb jump?

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah George, but I'm not sure that's possible in the Wii version though.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's been a very long time since I've seen a normal run of the game, instead of just sequence breaking around every obstacle.

Sequence break tricks got either hilariously easier with the spring ball being added, or a nightmare with invisible walls/locked doors being added until the proper powerup is obtained.

For example: That spider ball rail which leads to the inner Chozo Ruins area is super easy* to jump up normally, but for the Trilogy version, they covered the pipe up with an invisible wall that stays there until you collect the spider ball. Of course you can still go out of bounds and traverse a ton of rooms while outside the normal map to make it through to that area, but that's no good for anyone that doesn't want to spend an hour doing that.

There's a few other changes they made out of their blind and unreasonable hatred for people who go out of their way to stray off the beaten path, which seems strange to me.
Sequence breaking is a huge part of Super Metroid's popularity and most, if not all, of these tricks just don't happen if you play the game normally. Yet, they leave in obvious ones such as rapid fire missiles. :shrug:

*With some shenanigans.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Rau's about to go Big Brother Barbarian on some motherfuckers, that's for sure.
God, I hate the sound of my own voice. I realize in hindsight that I could have done a few more takes, heh.

Anyway, though, yeah, that room with the bars frustrated me, too. Still, now you have the Ice Beam and made some progress, so there's that!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Geemer posted:

Sequence breaking is a huge part of Super Metroid's popularity and most, if not all, of these tricks just don't happen if you play the game normally.

It took them awhile to figure out why people liked Super Metroid so much. They finally figured it out with Zero Mission, even if they were a little unsubtle about it at times. I don't really get why you'd fix a glitch that nobody's going to find without extensive experimentation and that doesn't lead to any bad events (like screwing with hardware or data files or even merely crashing the game).

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

That's the weird thing. You can get all the items in completely arbitrary order with no ill effect on the game. The worst that happens is the morph ball model staying stuck at the Varia Suit model if you skip over the spider ball.
And that would be the one thing you'd expect to cause issues, what with there not being any models for the further suits without spider ball bits.

And realistically speaking, if you do actually manage to get yourself in an unwinnable situation, you only managed to do so after an incredible amount of trying. You can't really blame the developers for it.
Getting stuck in a wall because I sequence broke and approached it from behind, where you can't see it because you can normally only get there by blowing it up, and spending quite some time mashing the boost ball to hopefully break free is one of my fond memories of this game.

George
Nov 27, 2004

This game's speed tricks feel really analogous to Super Metroid's, with a scan-dash to early Double-Jump Boots acting like the mockball to early Super Missiles. Things in both games mostly handle the sequence breaks with dignity, which is good design and not something you need to fix.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I thought you couldn't do that trick in the Trilogy version.

Although I suppose that proves the point, the Metroid games that people like (well, some people I guess) are the ones that look at sequence-breaking as "we know you're gonna try your damnedest to see Samus in a bikini so we won't put in arbitrary fixes forcing you to play normally" instead of "NO YOU MUST FOLLOW THIS ONE PATH, NO DEVIATING"

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Aces High posted:

I thought you couldn't do that trick in the Trilogy version.

You can still get it early by combining the spring ball and bomb jumping while balancing on a tiny rock in front of the ledge to get just enough height to make it up.
Triple bomb jumping is out of the question as they added some flags to the game that disable it. But then they forgot that they added the spring ball. :downsgun:

George
Nov 27, 2004

Can you still do the PAL trick in Trilogy?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

My several hours of trying came up empty at the time. I think they added yet another invisible wall to block it when dashing from the ship or something.

George
Nov 27, 2004

I hope that people came up with entertaining workarounds. PAL low% was fun to watch because the game was getting pushed even harder.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIlPm_LTPL4

Here's a video of that bomb jump trick I described. I still kinda want to know why Retro hates sequence breakers so much.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

Geemer posted:

I still kinda want to know why Retro hates sequence breakers so much.
I thought the whole fixing glitches was implied to be more a push on Nintendo's end than Retro's, from what I recall of an early-ish interview and another one later on.

I don't know if there ever was an interview explaining whether or not Nintendo really cared about sequence breaking. Probably never got brought up because something else came up.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Thanks for linking those, very interesting.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

George posted:

Can you still do the PAL trick in Trilogy?

In short, no.

At length, they made it so the lock-on breaks before you can get remotely close enough to the ship to jump on it, from what I recall. There's still a lot of stuff what DOES work in the Trilogy version; for instance, it's still possible (if slightly more difficult) to get around Phendrana's Edge without the grapple beam, and snag a few early items in that general area.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I don't know that I'd say Retro/Nintendo hate speedrunners or sequence breakers. If they had made the games unbreakable in the first place I doubt people would be saying that, and yet that's the ideal scenario for most developers. Even developers who are openly communicative with speedrunners want to make their games fun to speedrun while also not having bugs, glitches, and exploits in them. They just try to design the levels, upgrades, and movement systems to all be fluid to begin with. The SGDQ '15 run of Ori and the Blind Forest is a good example, if I'm remembering my marathons correctly, where the runner showed off what basically amounted to Scuttlebug Transportation, and despite him acknowledging how nice the developers were about speedrunning, the developer still asked if he'd mind them fixing that exploit.

Anyway, I managed a third whole week of quick turnaround on videos. Ain't I somethin'?

Part 11: One Step Closer To Phendrana's Edge

And I'm about to break down the next big batch of readings to send out, but, as those of you who have played the game before might imagine, there's a lot in there, so it may take a little while. Gonna get it done as fast as I can.

In the meantime, you know that scan?

You know. That scan.

Yeah.

Who said I should hold auditions for it?

Well, I'm gonna do that.

So if you want to have a go at it, go here, search for PD16, and send the file to me through a PM or something. Best one gets it in the actual video.

George
Nov 27, 2004

I definitely came in here before getting the Gravity Suit. You can make it all the way to that save room, but I don't think you can get any further. It was a ton of fun getting out without the gravity suit!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

George posted:

I definitely came in here before getting the Gravity Suit. You can make it all the way to that save room, but I don't think you can get any further. It was a ton of fun getting out without the gravity suit!

You can get an energy tank, I believe. It's not worth the trip, particularly the return trip.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

George posted:

I made this mistake too and it suuuuuuucked. Mercifully, in the room after the save point the game will tell you "hey doofus, come back later" if you try to progress without the Gravity Suit.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I might be putting up a slightly different version when I wake up, depending how I feel about it then.

Anyway, this was probably the hardest single video of the LP, so it should be fairly smooth sailing from now on. He said, a flicker of hope in his eyes.

Part 12: The Mines Reaper

Bonus B: Kraig, the Unmotivated Space Pirate

frozentreasure posted:

So if you want to have a go at it, go here, search for PD16, and send the file to me through a PM or something. Best one gets it in the actual video.

frozentreasure posted:

Okay, open call to anyone who wants to read a little extra: I need as many different readings of the artefact clues as possible. So if you'd like to help out with that, whether you're signed up already or not, whether you've already read or not, just go here and read off as many as you can or want to, then send the recording to me.

Both of these are still open, by the way.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 6, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If it wasn't for all the things trying to kill you, that first underwater part was almost relaxing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My name is Craig and I'm watching these videos during a particularly motivation-free day at work so that bonus video really struck close to home.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

This is gold. Well done, Kraig! :golfclap:

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Last chance for the pirate data reading, if anyone else is up for it.

Time to collect a bunch of extra missiles so we can use the wavebuster exclusively on the final boss.

Part 13: Let's Playsma

I say this often, but the next update will definitely be faster; it doesn't have any scan data for me to wait on.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 21, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I think that makes three upgrades I had no idea existed. I thought I had 100%d Prime 1 at some point, but apparently I didn't at all? Most definitely not the expansion behind the leaves, holy poo poo.

Also, there is no feeling in the entirety of videogames that's better than getting the Plasma Beam. The very first enemies you can kill with it after getting it are those three flying fuckers and my GOD did I feel powerful after melting them away. I love the Plasma Beam so much.

Akogare Zephyr
Apr 29, 2013

It's too bad some of the special effects were either toned down or taken away, but they're still pretty neat. I love that you can see Samus' hands with the x-ray. It's such a nice touch. This game's super rad.

Ah, the recording stuff! I'll see if I can somehow set up to record tonight or tomorrow unless you need it right now. It's just the pirate stuff right or also the artefacts?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The Geothermal Core is so fun to climb without the spider ball and grapple beam. It is also one of the places where they put a locked door that won't open until you get the right upgrade (grapple beam).

Fun fact: Samus' hand is visible without the X-Ray Visor under extreme circumstances and it's even got a skin-tone color. It's not textured or anything, but it is actually rendered inside the arm cannon at all times.
To see it, you need to go out of bounds and enter morph ball to fall for 5~10 minutes or so, when you unmorph the camera and beam cannon lose alignment and the cannon will be halfway up the screen, allowing you to peek inside.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Akogare Zephyr posted:

Ah, the recording stuff! I'll see if I can somehow set up to record tonight or tomorrow unless you need it right now. It's just the pirate stuff right or also the artefacts?

Both are still open; the pirate data will be ending in the next week or so.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Geemer posted:

Fun fact: Samus' hand is visible without the X-Ray Visor under extreme circumstances and it's even got a skin-tone color. It's not textured or anything, but it is actually rendered inside the arm cannon at all times.
To see it, you need to go out of bounds and enter morph ball to fall for 5~10 minutes or so, when you unmorph the camera and beam cannon lose alignment and the cannon will be halfway up the screen, allowing you to peek inside.

This is awesome and the kind of thing I always wonder how anyone ever discovers.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Probably someone got called away from the game for awhile and was morphed at the time, in that specific instance.

Thanks everyone for submitting readings of that log (you know, that log), they were all really good; alas, only one two three one can be chosen in the end.

Part 14: Jerry Theatrics

Still open for artefact readings; I need at least three more readings of the artefact clues.

Akogare Zephyr
Apr 29, 2013

Oh my golly gawsh, that reading is perfect! Hahaha! Poor Jerry though. Not a great way to go.

Is the Ice Spreader more effective in other versions or is it just as lacklustre? It's kind of a shame. Perhaps if it had a wider spread it could have been more useful or like instant KO everyone who got frozen with just one blast at any part of the effected area? The Flamethrower gets a pass because it's a flamethrower, but I suppose if it had a longer range that would have been pretty rad.

Actually, with showcasing that you can freeze an enemy and then blast them with fire afterwards, are there any cool combos you can do between the rest of the weapons besides freezing them and then shooting a missile?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Ice Spreader is perfect to shoot those four guys while they're still hanging on the ceiling, it'll hit all of them then one missile seals the deal. It's the only use it has apart from one veeery late, but it's good enough as you'll probably use that save station often.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I just use the thing like a super missile. It costs twice as much, but it's functionally the same with a direct hit if I'm not mistaken.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The flame thrower is garbage. Where every other beam combo ends up stronger than the base weapon, at the cost of a handful of missiles, the flame thrower chews through missiles like the wavebuster with no homing ability, no range and pretty much no damage.
The only times I use it is by mistake. It's not even good for clearing out scarabs because those already blow up all at once with the power beam.

The ice spreader, on the other hand, I love it. Sure it's very wasteful compared to the super missile, but it makes a satisfying noise when it fires and does decent damage.

AllisonByProxy posted:

This is awesome and the kind of thing I always wonder how anyone ever discovers.

I discovered it because I was bragging to my friend on MSN about how I got out of bounds and if you morph ball Samus ends up falling forever. Then when I got back to the game I noticed the gun was higher up than usual and I wanted to see how high it can go.
Biggest problem is that if you unmorph it resets the position, so you really gotta fall for a long time for one shot at seeing into the model.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Geemer posted:

I discovered it because I was bragging to my friend on MSN about how I got out of bounds and if you morph ball Samus ends up falling forever. Then when I got back to the game I noticed the gun was higher up than usual and I wanted to see how high it can go.

Nailed it.

Some areas of the mines almost seem like they could be swapped with the research labs, especially with a couple of relatively random purple doors to sections, but that's just me.

Part 15: He's Called Glowing Blue Rockman In Japan

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

There is thankfully an easy image response for the end of that. Though it is perhaps predictable.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Side effects include uncontrolled growth, psychosis, and radioactivity. If you begin vomiting pure phazon, discontinue use and see your doctor immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akul
Aug 29, 2012
Can you still scan the boss' grenade launcher shots in the Wii version of the game? I kind of remember the scan being all sorts of weird and wrong.

• Locked thread