Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

etalian posted:

Even the staff admit the later seasons went haywire from the original message due to thing such as the writers strike and also how Moore didn't have a long term roadmap for the plots.

Does the later seasons mean 3 and 4? Because there were only 4...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Cheston posted:

I only intermittently watched BSG when it first aired. Is there a good stopping point anywhere between Season 1 and, er, when it becomes clear they don't have a plan?

Season 3 episode "Exodus Part 2" is the end of the show being consistently good, and it's a fine series finale of sorts. There are superb episodes after that but no real consistency.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

General Battuta posted:

Season 3 episode "Exodus Part 2" is the end of the show being consistently good, and it's a fine series finale of sorts. There are superb episodes after that but no real consistency.

Sounds good, thanks! I'll go up to that point, and then maybe finish S3.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Strategic Tea posted:

The way it works in the show, though, is they just fill the whole space between the ship and the enemy with an impenetrable wall of flak. So it's not just a firing solution but a solution to (enemy) firing :v:

It's been ages since I've watched any BSG, but I'm pretty sure Galactica was actually shooting at Basestars in any given fight too. The flak was just its own separate thing for point defense. Nevermind the idea that flak is a pretty horrifying concept for space warfare. :xd:

Cheston posted:

Sounds good, thanks! I'll go up to that point, and then maybe finish S3.

I'd recommend watching "Collaborators" (the episode immediately following the "Exodus" two-parter) at the very least, since it's kind of an epilogue to the previous arc.

But yeah, the show goes off the rails in the worst possible way. Honestly, I think it stopped being consistently good sometime after the whole Pegasus arc in season 2, in part because there's just so much filler in the back half of that season.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

General Battuta posted:

Yeah, this is basically what I was about to say. There are still some episodes in Season 3 that are really good and, in all honesty, I'd recommend watching the whole season. It's Season 4 that really begins to nosedive. Season 3, though, is when the cracks begin to show.

Paradoxish posted:

It's been ages since I've watched any BSG, but I'm pretty sure Galactica was actually shooting at Basestars in any given fight too. The flak was just its own separate thing for point defense. Nevermind the idea that flak is a pretty horrifying concept for space warfare. :xd:

I'd recommend watching "Collaborators" (the episode immediately following the "Exodus" two-parter) at the very least, since it's kind of an epilogue to the previous arc.

But yeah, the show goes off the rails in the worst possible way. Honestly, I think it stopped being consistently good sometime after the whole Pegasus arc in season 2, in part because there's just so much filler in the back half of that season.

Nah. Season 2 has some weird episodes that suffer from an over use of disjointed time sequencing or weird retcons (Lee in Black Market) but the individual episodes are still really cool.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I didn't even make it to the end of s3 :(

Like I enjoyed all the flawed characters and so on but then I realised I was 2.5 seasons in and nobody had changed or learned a thing. And whenever the show seemed about to suggest that maybe they should have, it just turned around and went 'GOD BLESS ARE TROOPS DOING THE BEST THEY CAN' :bsg:

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
If someone could just put together a supercut of all the fleet battle and dogfighting scenes, that would be good enough for me.

Also, I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the end of the book, Professor Shark. That's always disappointing from both sides of a book recommendation :( Hopefully the writing in the show will have less pacing issues for you?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

This was cool. All the ship sets are nuts, they look really well done. I read an early review that said this wan't very good but that was incorrect.

I love the long-limbed miner guys, and using Earth's gravity as a method of torture. I've never seen that before.
I dug it a lot, I liked the zero-g scenes as well for the most part, although the bit with the CGI birds was pretty awful. I am not sold on Holden yet, he doesn't seem immature/idealistic enough, yet. And I haven't seen enough of the pilot, isn't he supposed to have a texas drawl?

Also I like the haircuts. They all look like sci-fi Macklemore but I suspect they're also really useful for the fake zero G scenes, since nobody's got a lot of hair to fly around wildly.

GigaPeon posted:

Ah. Must have just had "Jayne Cobb knockoff". stuck in my brain this whole time.
It seems like a lot of posters forget that Amos has probably the hardest background of any character, and his amiable demeanor masks the fact that he probably killed someone over scraps of food in a dumpster, as a kid. Lots of times. He doesn't want to remember that or go back to it, but unless he's actually carrying his shotgun at the time, he doesn't go out of his way to intimidate people that often that I recall. When he's armed, he does it constantly though, from what I do remember.

etalian posted:

it's tech noir not neo noir
I like this phrasing, it does remind me of Bladerunner.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 6, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

KatWithHands posted:

If you like reading different kinds of space battles, there's this series called The Lost Fleet that Amazon recommended to me because of The Expanse. I checked out the first book, Dauntless, and the space battles and communications and everything were pretty neat. There was FTL jumping and the ships were slightly more maneuverable, but a lot of the same ideas applying. A lot of thought going into relativity and plotting attack patterns and stuff. In The Expanse, it's usually the POV of one ship against one or two others, but in this one, it's about the difficulties in directing an entire fleet while taking into account the time lapse between speed-of-light communications across broad stretches of space. So kind of like how there's time between the missiles launching, and them actually hitting the Canterbury, there would be scenes where they're watching a fight in a different position in the system, knowing full well that the fight they're watching has already happened, it just took a few minutes for the footage/information to reach them. Nothing much about the characterization or the story in the first novel was really memorable, but the battles were really interesting to imagine.
This series is loving terrible, FYI. Every single book is the exact same thing, no characters ever change, and Black Jack Geary invariably will win the day by coming up with something that nobody's thought of in thousands of years, such as flanking maneuvers, or using the three dimensionality of space to surround the enemy.. Or, sneak up BEHIND the enemy! Also he argues with the only woman character and goes through the exact same conflict with her in every book.

Then we have how many times he describes the time delay inherent in weaponry and communication in space, in each book.. I mean he literally will talk about the same thing three times during EVERY combat scene. You end up hearing about these time delays probably 6-8 or more times in each book.

It is a terrible series, read one book, consider yourself having learned all there is to be gained, and never touch them again.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

coyo7e posted:

I dug it a lot, I liked the zero-g scenes as well for the most part, although the bit with the CGI birds was pretty awful. I am not sold on Holden yet, he doesn't seem immature/idealistic enough, yet. And I haven't seen enough of the pilot, isn't he supposed to have a texas drawl?

Also I like the haircuts. They all look like sci-fi Macklemore but I suspect they're also really useful for the fake zero G scenes, since nobody's got a lot of hair to fly around wildly.

I liked that you can see the coriolis effect when Miller pours water for the hooker on Ceres. If they can keep up the small touches like that, it'll go a long way towards keeping it more "hard" scifi.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I think my biggest complaint is that I always envisioned most of the crew as older and less attractive. Holden in my mind was like one of those dorky mid-40s ex-Navy dudes you'd meet in college, with terribad mustaches, who were just sort of milking the GI Bill in perpetuity so they could table a D&D game and wallpaper their dorm room with anime posters for years at a stretch. Amos was huge and bald, like a neo nazi trucker who'd spent a lot of time lifting weights in prison. The cop dude was a paunchy near-retirement-age dude, probably in full late stage male pattern baldness - which accounted for his awful choice in hats.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Yep. The firing solution lines were always for battlestar vs basestar combat. The odd part were that vipers didn't even carry shipkillers and we're just there for space superiority. Between the flak and vipers hold off the raiders while the battlestar main guns and missiles took out the basestar. Which given the armor difference was a pretty good tactic.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

I'm halfway through the first novel, it isn't all that well written, but I've been reading Raymond Chandler almost exclusively for the last year so maybe it's just different.

You really missed out by not getting the audiobook. It's one of the rare cases where the audiobook is much much better than the regular book.

Jefferson Mays does a hell of a job.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

coyo7e posted:

I like this phrasing, it does remind me of Bladerunner.

It was originally created as a sort of visual joke in the first Terminator.

Director James Cameron described it as merging futuristic science fiction with more traditional film noir elements and visuals.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

xsf421 posted:

I liked that you can see the coriolis effect when Miller pours water for the hooker on Ceres. If they can keep up the small touches like that, it'll go a long way towards keeping it more "hard" scifi.

I missed that. Guess I have to watch again.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Hughlander posted:

Yep. The firing solution lines were always for battlestar vs basestar combat. The odd part were that vipers didn't even carry shipkillers and we're just there for space superiority. Between the flak and vipers hold off the raiders while the battlestar main guns and missiles took out the basestar. Which given the armor difference was a pretty good tactic.

They do use Vipers or Raptors (I can't remember) for anti-ship nuclear attacks later in the series.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

coyo7e posted:

It is a terrible series, read one book, consider yourself having learned all there is to be gained, and never touch them again.

Wow, done and done. I was wondering how he'd fill even one other book having already gone through the lengthy descriptions in the first, let alone an entire series. That's pretty bad. I was recommended Leviathan Wakes by Amazon, so I was hoping it would've hit gold again.

Bert Roberge posted:

You really missed out by not getting the audiobook. It's one of the rare cases where the audiobook is much much better than the regular book.

Jefferson Mays does a hell of a job.

Oh poo poo, that guy! Okay, first you had my curiosity, now you have my attention. I'm going to have to buy the whole series over again, aren't I?

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

If you squint you can see an ad for The Book of Mormon

Fun little easter egg.

KatWithHands posted:

Oh poo poo, that guy! Okay, first you had my curiosity, now you have my attention. I'm going to have to buy the whole series over again, aren't I?

He does great narration for all the books except 4, which has a different and terrible narrator so you can skip that one.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Why are they spending a lot of money to put on the screen some book I've never heard of, while ignoring the best space opera ever made, the Culture series. Yes, my autism is flaring up. If tv executives are reading this I've got this idea to turn The Player of Games into a miniseries, the 3 acts of the book becoming 3 90 minute episodes. Gurgeh would be played by, you guessed it, Idris Elba. Yes, I'm available for hire as The Ideas Guy.

That said I've watched the pilot of this thing and, while not terribly impressed, I'll keep watching as I haven't seen any space SF in years. I just hope it won't turn into some libertarian crap (I've been triggered by a character unironically wearing a fedora), otherwise even if it's not very good I'll still watch as it seems to have decent production values and I'm a sucker for cool looking space poo poo.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

3peat posted:

Why are they spending a lot of money to put on the screen some book I've never heard of, while ignoring the best space opera ever made, the Culture series. Yes, my autism is flaring up. If tv executives are reading this I've got this idea to turn The Player of Games into a miniseries, the 3 acts of the book becoming 3 90 minute episodes. Gurgeh would be played by, you guessed it, Idris Elba. Yes, I'm available for hire as The Ideas Guy.

That said I've watched the pilot of this thing and, while not terribly impressed, I'll keep watching as I haven't seen any space SF in years. I just hope it won't turn into some libertarian crap (I've been triggered by a character unironically wearing a fedora), otherwise even if it's not very good I'll still watch as it seems to have decent production values and I'm a sucker for cool looking space poo poo.

Triggered by a fedora, I think the future is not for you.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

3peat posted:

Why are they spending a lot of money to put on the screen some book I've never heard of, while ignoring the best space opera ever made, the Culture series.

I ask myself this question almost every single month. The Culture is so loving good and is ripe for a miniseries or television series that takes place in its universe. Hell, Consider Phlebas and The Player of Games are ready loving made for television and have perfect three-act structures baked into them already.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

3peat posted:

:spergin: reply:

He is wearing it ironically though because there's no rain or sun there.

It's just a big 'gently caress you OPA I work for Earth' as well as a nod to old noir movies.

On top of that he's a big MRA creep to his coworker at the bar so it works on many levels.

Bert Roberge fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 6, 2015

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Noir detectives are (the only people) allowed to wear fedoras/trilbies/whatever :colbert:

3peat
May 6, 2010

Grognan posted:

Triggered by a fedora, I think the future is not for you.

I have a bad history of trying to read sci fi books and being hit by idiot writers blatantly pushing their retarded ideology on me (most recently Vernor Vinge masturbating over the saintly perfection of the Free Market or Peter f Hamilton with the UKIP crap) so I'm wary of any new stuff. I meant by that post that I'll keep on watching unless it turns into libertarian poo poo, sorry for the confusion

Vanderdeath posted:

I ask myself this question almost every single month. The Culture is so loving good and is ripe for a miniseries or television series that takes place in its universe. Hell, Consider Phlebas and The Player of Games are ready loving made for television and have perfect three-act structures baked into them already.

Most of the Culture books would work on TV imo, the exceptions would be Excession which, while my favorite, wouldn't really work as the main characters are ship Minds and I don't know how you'd portray their interactions and make it good tv (it's a shame, as that book has the coolest space battles/space setpieces out of all sci fi I've read and The Affront are amazing villains). Also Look to Windward, you'd have to change the Chelgrians to something more human looking as I don't think people would take seriously some feline predators with 5 limbs

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

3peat posted:

I have a bad history of trying to read sci fi books and being hit by idiot writers blatantly pushing their retarded ideology on me (most recently Vernor Vinge masturbating over the saintly perfection of the Free Market or Peter f Hamilton with the UKIP crap) so I'm wary of any new stuff. I meant by that post that I'll keep on watching unless it turns into libertarian poo poo, sorry for the confusion.

There's no really weird ideology that gets pushed on you in this series but it is anti-war and pro-transparency for governments and corporations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Strategic Tea posted:

Noir detectives are (the only people) allowed to wear fedoras/trilbies/whatever :colbert:

And black guys.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

coyo7e posted:

I think my biggest complaint is that I always envisioned most of the crew as older and less attractive. Holden in my mind was like one of those dorky mid-40s ex-Navy dudes you'd meet in college, with terribad mustaches, who were just sort of milking the GI Bill in perpetuity so they could table a D&D game and wallpaper their dorm room with anime posters for years at a stretch. Amos was huge and bald, like a neo nazi trucker who'd spent a lot of time lifting weights in prison. The cop dude was a paunchy near-retirement-age dude, probably in full late stage male pattern baldness - which accounted for his awful choice in hats.

Holden's consistently described as being very attractive though. Amos looks mild and unthreatening, Holden has classic good looks, Miller is aging and grey like any good washed up PI.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

coyo7e posted:

It seems like a lot of posters forget that Amos has probably the hardest background of any character, and his amiable demeanor masks the fact that he probably killed someone over scraps of food in a dumpster, as a kid. Lots of times. He doesn't want to remember that or go back to it, but unless he's actually carrying his shotgun at the time, he doesn't go out of his way to intimidate people that often that I recall. When he's armed, he does it constantly though, from what I do remember.

He explains that he was forced into prostitution as a child. Getting out and protecting other vulnerable children from the same abuse, with extreme prejudice. That's the kind of thing that produces Borderline Personality Disorder. Which is what I read his personality to be.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It took them until book 5 (a really long time) to make Holden's crew compelling and fleshed-out people, but I think they did a decent job in the end. Nemesis Games is a really good book.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

General Battuta posted:

It took them until book 5 (a really long time) to make Holden's crew compelling and fleshed-out people, but I think they did a decent job in the end. Nemesis Games is a really good book.

I was pretty irritated at the format of Nemesis Games at first. Then I realized I was getting a more in depth look at each of the crew members than I had in the previous 4 book, and I loved it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

flosofl posted:

I was pretty irritated at the format of Nemesis Games at first. Then I realized I was getting a more in depth look at each of the crew members than I had in the previous 4 book, and I loved it.

That and Holden was in it the least of all five books to date, which is a great bonus. :colbert:

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

3peat posted:

Most of the Culture books would work on TV imo, the exceptions would be Excession which, while my favorite, wouldn't really work as the main characters are ship Minds and I don't know how you'd portray their interactions and make it good tv (it's a shame, as that book has the coolest space battles/space setpieces out of all sci fi I've read and The Affront are amazing villains). Also Look to Windward, you'd have to change the Chelgrians to something more human looking as I don't think people would take seriously some feline predators with 5 limbs

I love the Culture novels but I really think adapting them could be kind of tricky. So much of it deals with things like drug glands or perceptions of Minds vs Meat that would be hard to film or the entirely different moral standards the Culture has in their day to day existence you'd end up with an NC-17 rating just for nudity.

I really would like to see some professional renderings of Orbitals and Ships and Idirans tho.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Ill be happy with Hyperion and Rama miniseries

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hyperion is being worked on. What about Rama? I thought that's still stuck in development hell?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I heard a "rain" refrain in the pilot, but when do we get our first "doors and corners"?

Can't wait

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Longbaugh01 posted:

I heard a "rain" refrain in the pilot, but when do we get our first "doors and corners"?

Can't wait
Season 3
I can't wait for "Drop some rocks!" To become a meme.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hyperion is being worked on. What about Rama? I thought that's still stuck in development hell?
If this, Childhoods End and Hyperion do well I would bet Rendezvous with Rama would be an easy choice. The Culture will never see film so just give up on that. I would rather see The foundation mini series with golden era Scifi look. HBO needs to pick up a series with sex. Altered Carbon anyone?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Rocksicles posted:

And black guys.

Black guys over 40 or that play the blues. There's stricter rules than you might think.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gohmak posted:

Altered Carbon anyone?

Takashi Kovacs movies/series? gently caress yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

flosofl posted:

Takashi Kovacs movies/series? gently caress yes.

Very much yes. But not sure how easy it would be to show the same consciousness popping up in multiple bodies. Would take some serious acting chops to do that justice.

• Locked thread