Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

SM64Guy posted:

i am unfortunately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Who's ready to play Blast Ball?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

Who's ready to play Blast Ball?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol, but also lol at the weird color compression on this gif.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Axiom Verge isn't the worst game I ever played or anything but I just don't like it much.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Great soundtrack, but exploring is a chore cause places look so similar and have worthless names.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Huh.. Whats this places name. Something loving gay I bet. This poo poo is worthless piss for retards with there stupid rear end names.. Gah lee dude.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Good post but what I meant is that the names are not descriptive and so strange that remembering how the areas connect, or where the obstacle you're trying to overcome is located is pretty hard.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Bought the Shadow Complex remastered thing and it's actually pretty good. I never played the Xbox version. The only thing that's getting me is that the gameplay difficulty is very spike-y. You'll run through a dozen rooms of absolute cannon fodder, then run up against bosses which, while cool, are way harder than anything you regularly see. I think I'm abut 3/4 way through, I'll see how it pans out.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Inflammatory posted:

i hope that game igarashi kickstarted turns out to be good.

I've been following this one too. I liked SotN, but I find a lot of these games boring for some reason. Hopefully he can replicate whatever made that game so memorable.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

a game where bosses are hard but the regular enemies are trash? dafuq

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Bobnumerotres posted:

a game where bosses are hard but the regular enemies are trash? dafuq

I get that it sounds kinda dumb but I'm talking about being able to stand on a ledge above a bunch of enemies (that you can't see, but can hear), lob grenades or just blind fire (infinite ammo by design) until the sounds stop. I mean come on

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Carl Killer Miller posted:

I get that it sounds kinda dumb but I'm talking about being able to stand on a ledge above a bunch of enemies (that you can't see, but can hear), lob grenades or just blind fire (infinite ammo by design) until the sounds stop. I mean come on

you sound like a fag bro.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't recall having too much difficulty with any of the bosses except for the one that requires using the grappling hook because the controls for it are kinda crappy.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

rediscover posted:

you sound like a fag bro.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

He sounds like a normal guy to me. But w/e.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

net cafe scandal posted:

He sounds like a normal guy to me. But w/e.

That's cause he sounds like you

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
shadow complex is SO GOOD but the free period is over so i should free that disk space

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

In Training posted:

I don't recall having too much difficulty with any of the bosses except for the one that requires using the grappling hook because the controls for it are kinda crappy.

huh, haven't gotten there yet. This protagonist also slides real easily from a guy looking for his kidnapped girlfriend to a fully armored killing machine. I can kinda appreciate a game that has him not look back on all the horrible poo poo he's done at all.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Carl Killer Miller posted:

huh, haven't gotten there yet. This protagonist also slides real easily from a guy looking for his kidnapped girlfriend to a fully armored killing machine. I can kinda appreciate a game that has him not look back on all the horrible poo poo he's done at all.

The ending actually addresses this sentiment exactly and it's pretty funny.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ArfJason posted:

shadow complex is SO GOOD but the free period is over so i should free that disk space

When I started playing I was surprised that it was a relatively realistic look and I was ready to be disappointed but by the end you have a mecha suit with speed booster, jet packs, triple jumps and crazy weapons and I was having a blast

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

ArfJason posted:

they took it away? i thougt it was free forever if you dled it during xmas or wahatever .... oh well i already got 100% and low % clears on the xbox

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Is TMNT Radical Rescue on game boy a metroidvania? Imo it maybe is

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mabels big day posted:

cool. went all the way around brinstar only to get to this room from the wrong side and realize i did that whole hallway backwards

epic

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Squeezy Farm posted:

they took it away? i thougt it was free forever if you dled it during xmas or wahatever .... oh well i already got 100% and low % clears on the xbox

havent really tried but the wording they used seemed to indicate it was only free for december?
I remember a lot of confusion over "abe's oddysee is free forever for a limited time"

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

ArfJason posted:

havent really tried but the wording they used seemed to indicate it was only free for december?
I remember a lot of confusion over "abe's oddysee is free forever for a limited time"

if you got in december its yours forever, if you didnt get it, it costs money

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i got thr epic gamed pc version and havent played it at all....i should correct that

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

i got thr epic gamed pc version and havent played it at all....i should correct that

its really good!!!!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The thing with a bad metroidvania is that you might not realize it's bad for a long time because you assume there is a decent logic behind how the areas are laid out, that stuff is hidden in a fair way, and that the backtracking is a well constructed way to revisit old areas and not annoying as gently caress. It's why a Super Metroid Maker would suck balls.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
I've been following this new Australian game Hollow Knight that was crowdfunded last year. Hopeful that it won't be a boring plod.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GXyV9EvB_g

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

African AIDS cum posted:

Is TMNT Radical Rescue on game boy a metroidvania? Imo it maybe is

I did the research and yes it is, its also made by the same devs that made SOTN

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ArfJason posted:

its really good!!!!

Have to agree with this. I sat down to check it out last weekend and ended up playing the whole game in one sitting.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

The thing with a bad metroidvania is that you might not realize it's bad for a long time because you assume there is a decent logic behind how the areas are laid out, that stuff is hidden in a fair way, and that the backtracking is a well constructed way to revisit old areas and not annoying as gently caress. It's why a Super Metroid Maker would suck balls.

I'm playing finding teddy 2 and it did not take long to realize that it is a fail pile of trash.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Environmental Station Alpha is good,can't remember if I posted that in this thread already. Well, see ya later

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Agag posted:

I've been following this new Australian game Hollow Knight that was crowdfunded last year. Hopeful that it won't be a boring plod.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GXyV9EvB_g

The framey enemies' animation in this trailer makes me think that the collision detection for fights is going to be rear end and it's going to be incredibly easy to get hit by stuff. Plus all the enemies are round and jiggly, real lovely for precision combat.

Looks nice tho.

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 14, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

i started playing Shadow Complex but the boring realistic military drab look kind of put me off. I should get back to it if it gets fun and crazy

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

i started playing Shadow Complex but the boring realistic military drab look kind of put me off. I should get back to it if it gets fun and crazy

i really enjoyed shadow complex. the foam gun is one of the more memorable metroid tools i've gotten, weird as it was

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Jerkops posted:

Environmental Station Alpha is good,can't remember if I posted that in this thread already. Well, see ya later

esa is great. very mysterious

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Gimbal lock posted:

The framey enemies' animation in this trailer makes me think that the collision detection for fights is going to be rear end and it's going to be incredibly easy to get hit by stuff. Plus all the enemies are round and jiggly, real lovely for precision combat.

Looks nice tho.

You have a point there, but I can't say I play this genre for a combat challenge. SotN is the exemplar of the whole genre and its easy AF.

Still there are limits, I hope these guys tighten everything up before release.

Jerkops posted:

It good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Guacamelee has great combat even tho it doesn't take a lot of advantage of the Metroidvania style. Valdis Story too I guess but for some reason I got bored with that one halfway through... it was only a few weeks ago so I might finish it

• Locked thread