Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
<3 Copper :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Just Loco works. :toot:
Doesn't SA use a font that lets you differentiate between a lowercase L and an uppercase I, though...?
Shizuko was mentioned once, in the archive room across the Chief's room. Well, I think some other in-game cut-scene actually talked about her a tiny bit more, but I can't remember exactly who or when that happened. I think the gist of that one was just "she had clairvoyance and she died while Sadako was a kid, and also we had her body transported to CDT also because why not."
e;fb:

RiffRaff1138 posted:

There was a file two few videos ago that mentioned Shizuko by name.
But since now we now know the CDT is virtual I guess the corpses and cursed peeps being at CDT mean nothing? Unless the events in "dark spooky monkey land" are actually tricking you and reality is actually still the "super sexist office land." :shrug:

It looks like both worlds share the same layout (give or take ladders and a staircase?), so you should probably bother checking whichever video you turned the power back on for in the spooky land, since I presume you'll need to take the same path in office land.

ElTipejoLoco fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Aug 20, 2016

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

RiffRaff1138 posted:

Or maybe I'm putting more thought into this game than the people who made it did?

This stands out to me as being EXTREMELY likely.

Also, yeah, you're right, I remember Shizuko's name being mentioned now. For the life of me, I just couldn't recall if we had EVER heard her name before that point.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Thanks for the callout, even though it was just "person who thought we'd forget". Funniest thing about it was watching you immediately after completely forget about the first person mode and never using it again. :cheers:

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

kjetting posted:

Thanks for the callout, even though it was just "person who thought we'd forget". Funniest thing about it was watching you immediately after completely forget about the first person mode and never using it again. :cheers:

Hey, I totally used it again in the real fake world to look around the bathrooms. :-P

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Which fake real world is the real fake world?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Cathode Raymond posted:

Which fake real world is the real fake world?
The fake one is the real one.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Forgall posted:

The fake one is the real one.

But I thought that was the fake one.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Reality is unreal. Fiction is truth. Hail Satan.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Reality is unreal. Fiction is truth. Hail Satan.

Reminds me of a friend. Dyslexic agnostic insomniac. Poor guy stays up all night wondering if there's a dog.

Still, he's better off than a high school buddy of his. Dyslexic devil worshiper. Last I heard, he'd sold his soul to Santa.

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS
I'm pretty sure those red dots on your map are the notes you've collected. Yes, it's really dumb, but this is a game based on the third book of a series which was only just being adapted into movies, that manages to mangle which continuity it's supposed to be in almost as badly as the later Ring movies, and was localised to a country that has had zero exposure to anything else in the franchise.

Also, if the power is out, why do the keycard doors still beep? Why do the automatic hissing doors still move? As for Meg saying the door would stay unlocked at the end of the timed segment, I think the implication is she stuck something in it to keep it from closing all the way, not that it had a manual lock.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh my god why did I not know about this thread? The Ring series was a huge part of my adolescence ever since the American movie caused me to blockade my room at night for three years straight. :downs:

Sadako rules IMO. This game drools tho.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 22, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

With regards to the Ring book series, only the first book is in any way specifically horror. Spiral and Loop are medical mystery and sci-fi, respectively. I think it was a mistake to make them all sequential, but if they only had Sadako and the virus as a subtle common thread instead of the focus for each one then it would have been better, probably. The movies are really the best part of the whole Ring world anyway v:v:v

I had no idea Koji Suzuki wrote two new books. I gotta pick em up even if they end up sucking. Birthday is great, though.

Lotish posted:

Don't get me wrong: The world is experiencing an apocalypse so someone has to dive into the past to uncover the truth of how to stop it and this fucks with their mind and makes them experience things asequentially and lose some memories is a pretty good plot for something, but not this.

Yeah, pretty much. Loop is the weakest of the Ring series, but that's mostly because it tries to continue the story of Ring instead of being its own thing.

Like, the stories in isolation are all pretty cool. Cursed tape, memetic virus, digital simulation, all good with me. It just kinda falls apart when you try and claim it's all the same thing. You can clearly see the cognitive progression in cursed tape -> memetic virus -> digital simulation, but they don't connect as well on a direct, plot level as they do on a thematic, overarching level.

I still like Sadako cause I like awful bullshit like the book series's insanity. It's not great, but it's fun. Plus, I'm kinda attached to her character. I like the idea of her being this eldritch puppetmaster of the entire series, but not in such an obvious way.

Edit: from what I can find about the new books, they're even weirder. Apparently they're going back to the Japanese occult that made them awesome in the first place, but still doubling down on the sci-fi. :psyduck:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 22, 2016

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
So, uh, holy crap... We finished the game! Part 13 is the final episode in this amazing journey, and what a journey it's been. Also, the final boss in this game is absolutely stupid, and the developers should be ashamed of themselves.

Thanks again to everyone who joined us yet again from beginning to end. We have a few more ideas as to what to play next (including finishing DreadOut, I hope), so stay tuned, and we'll be back soon. And let's give Amy a hand for the excellent editing once again!

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
The virus? The virus that Robert had? That virus? You did this to Robert? With the virus?

I think I missed an episode but I seriously have no idea because the game has been so hosed up that this ending doesn't seem any more out of nowhere than anything else in the game.

Thanks for putting up with this crap!

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!
I guess I was a little unclear before. When I said there were no monkeys or fishmen in the books, what I meant was that there were no monsters at all, save for Sadako and her virus. Also, of all the things for the game to get wrong, I never expected "what Sadako looks like" to be one of them. I'm pretty sure even the book describes Sadako as having long black hair, and wearing a white dress when she was thrown down the well. I can only assume at this point that this game was meant to be a completely original story, and they just slapped the Ring IP onto it late in development as a selling point.

Edit: I had a quick look through Ring again, and apparently I was wrong. I didn't find an outright statement that Sadako had black hair, but it does say Shizuko did, and Sadako was wearing a white blouse and gray skirt when she was thrown down the well. That still means "brown hair" and "purple kimono" are wrong, though.

RiffRaff1138 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 24, 2016

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
After experiencing both The Ring: Terror's Realm and Ju-On: The Grudge, which do you think is the better game?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Mraagvpeine posted:

After experiencing both The Ring: Terror's Realm and Ju-On: The Grudge, which do you think is the better game?

Well, see, this game is bad in a way that's HILARIOUS. Ju-On, on the other hand...well, that one was just plain bad.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I'm really impressed that you didn't get killed once. Even if the combat was as easy as you made it look, I'm sure I would have died a few times to that end boss at least. I'll be looking forward to you guys' next project.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mraagvpeine posted:

I still think that Ju-on was the worse game. The Ring at least had things to do, even if they were asinine most of the time, and it was fun to laugh at how bad everything turned out. Ju-on was just... ehhhhhh.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On Sadako not looking like Sadako - that's less pronounced but it is there in the books. The idea is when she is fully reborn after possessing Ryuji's assistant due to her reading his report on the Ring video (The report is so detailed that it is functionally the same as watching the video, and is the main mutation. The assistant is the first woman this happens to but ont of the properties of the mutation is that if it is viewed by a woman who is ovulating, they will become pregnant with Sadako and rebirth her into the world. This is how Sadako's clones take over the world by Loop) and then giving birth to Sadako, the new form is imperfect. Sadako sculpted her face within the stemcells but due to humans having imperfect recollection of their own faces without a mirror, she got some of the details wrong. This is why none of the characters recognise her when they first see her having around Ryuji's assistant's apartment.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ha, you're going to be Amy's hero. :-D

Also, holy crap, the book really does seem to have all questions answered, doesn't it?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

On Sadako not looking like Sadako - that's less pronounced but it is there in the books. The idea is when she is fully reborn after possessing Ryuji's assistant due to her reading his report on the Ring video (The report is so detailed that it is functionally the same as watching the video, and is the main mutation. The assistant is the first woman this happens to but ont of the properties of the mutation is that if it is viewed by a woman who is ovulating, they will become pregnant with Sadako and rebirth her into the world. This is how Sadako's clones take over the world by Loop) and then giving birth to Sadako, the new form is imperfect. Sadako sculpted her face within the stemcells but due to humans having imperfect recollection of their own faces without a mirror, she got some of the details wrong. This is why none of the characters recognise her when they first see her having around Ryuji's assistant's apartment.

hahahaha what even is this loving series

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Paramount must have really liked your LP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOH3ORdVmk8

Looks somehow worse than the short film by the same name:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stddELfKnsY

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
:golfclap:

This has been a great lp. I learned a lot about this weird series and you know what? I learned a little about myself too.

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 24, 2016

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

And More posted:

Paramount must have really liked your LP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOH3ORdVmk8

Looks somehow worse than the short film by the same name:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stddELfKnsY

Ha, yeah, I saw that earlier today. The timing sure was great. :-D

Cathode Raymond posted:

This has been a great lp. I learned a lot about this weird series and you know what? I learned a little about myself too.

I'm so sorry that this is the game that taught you about yourself.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cathode Raymond posted:

I just learned that, all along, the real monster...

was friendship.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
I was hoping that Meg would get infected by the virus herself and turn into a Grape Ape or a naked pig bat, then rally the other monsters to defeat Sadako and the humans for a "No gods, no masters" ending.

But that was never going to happen. It was always going to be that nonsense on the roof with the hair and the birds.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Pedro! I have a favor to ask you; could you PLEASE re-upload the episodes with the cutscenes, but WITH the uncut commentary? You said in the last episode that you edited out your reactions to the cutscenes, so I really wanted to see it! You wouldn't mind, would you?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Holy drat I missed a lot. First off, happy belated anniversary to our hosts, and what a way to celebrate the occasion with this 'game'.

Second, I'm surprised you ended up enjoying this more than Ju-On. Well alright, maybe 'enjoyed' is entirely the wrong word to use but I'm still surprised you preferred (?) it overall. At least Ju-On was a mercifully short experience! I'll concede that Terror's Realm is far more entertaining as a viewer, though; not least because of all the blind running around you had to undergo along with fake giant monkeys or whatever the hell was carrying the necessary item back in part 6 causing all sorts of irritation. Good show!

Re: (Forbidden) Siren, definitely one I can recommend as LP material. Atrocious localisation aside with the voices (because we're all too dumb to read subtitles in the UK apparently, so we got some bizarre "cor blimey guv a real pea-souper tonight" voicework, no idea if it was the same with the NA version), it was actually a genuinely tense and creepy game if played under the right conditions (i.e. not drunk and not in a room with other drunks). Fair warning though, it could also become immensely frustrating with how the levels (or chapters) are supposed to be completed.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Fionordequester posted:

Pedro! I have a favor to ask you; could you PLEASE re-upload the episodes with the cutscenes, but WITH the uncut commentary? You said in the last episode that you edited out your reactions to the cutscenes, so I really wanted to see it! You wouldn't mind, would you?

Oh, the reactions that Amy edited out were nothing special at all; we just said a few words here and there only one or two things throughout the duration of an entire cutscene; more than anything, it just distracted from what was being said in the game itself. Trust me, if we were saying anything worth leaving in there, it wouldn't have been cut. Most of it was just mumbling. :-P I'll ask Amy if she cut anything substantial, but I don't really think anything significant was lost.

EDIT: Amy told me that all she cut out was that I said she looked delighted when the boss man transformed. :-P

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 25, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

pedrovay2003 posted:

EDIT: Amy told me that all she cut out was that I said she looked delighted when the boss man transformed. :-P

His name was Chief and he was twice the CDC you'll ever be! :colbert:

I think this game was better than Ju-On. That game didn't even really have enemies, it was just a slow crawl through dark buildings punctuated by very occasional QTE's.

That being said, this game is terrible by any reasonable standard and some choices they made are really confusing, like taking away all your weapons except the starter pistol for the final bosses.

Did you ever get the other half of the rocket launcher? What would you have even used that thing for?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Cathode Raymond posted:

Did you ever get the other half of the rocket launcher? What would you have even used that thing for?

No, we never did find the second (final?) part of the rocket launcher. And that's a good question; seeing as how we wouldn't have brought it into the virtual world with us, I have no clue what they expected us to think was SO CHALLENGING that we'd need to just absolutely blow it away.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Cathode Raymond posted:

I think this game was better than Ju-On.
The Ring: Terror's Realm was a hilariously incompetent mess while Ju-On was a low effort cash-in by people who didn't care. I don't know which is "better" but it's obvious which is more entertaining.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Man that ending... I don't even understand anymore. The game was surprisingly short. Or should I say thankfully short?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Did anyone else actually kind of enjoy this last episode in terms of a creative standpoint? I mean, Meg felt so much more vulnerable in her regular outfit rather than her military uniform, the Lobby music was a nice way to bring the whole adventure full circle, the Chief and Meg's VA's both gave pretty decent performances (even if the Chief WAS breathing into the mic way too much), the semi-final boss music was cool, the final dungeon music was legitimately tense, the Sadako fight was more involved than anything else we've faced, and we get to wrap it up by having a legitimately tragic final moment between Meg and Sadako.

Of course, then the ending kind of ruined a bit of that, but STILL! There was some decent stuff here, right?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 26, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. The Matriarch was the end boss? And you with no Haka.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Fionordequester posted:

the Chief and Meg's VA's both gave pretty decent performances
I don't think you watched the same video as I did. Meg's voice sounds like she was just handed the lines completely absent of any context. I guess if you imagine that's the case, she sounds like she did the best she could, but it's still not good. The Chief sounds like a weedy 20-something guy speaking at a lower register than natural to "sound bigger." At least he knew how to pronounce "Sadako" correctly, I'll give him that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

RiffRaff1138 posted:

I don't think you watched the same video as I did. Meg's voice sounds like she was just handed the lines completely absent of any context. I guess if you imagine that's the case, she sounds like she did the best she could, but it's still not good. The Chief sounds like a weedy 20-something guy speaking at a lower register than natural to "sound bigger." At least he knew how to pronounce "Sadako" correctly, I'll give him that.

Yeah...but that actually works here, given the context. The guy's thing IS that he's already been mutated to some degree, so, some pitch alteration may have come with that. Plus he's got that sort of growl thing going, with lines like "before you die, you'll help me to prove that I have Sadako's force under my control". It's nothing great, but...it's still above what we've been getting up till now.

Also for anyone who's wondering what the heck the Chief was saying while transforming, I was searching around to see if there were any difference between this and the Japanese version (funny notes on that btw), and I found out what it was. It turns out, it was actually SADAKO saying those last lines; yes, she was berating him for thinking he could control her power. So the words that were said were...

"No you can't! You'll never be the one to control this force, never EVER!!" *evil woman chuckle*

• Locked thread