Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

We got a call about two men with bladed weapons?

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
You have no jurisdiction here, chumps. It's actually entirely possible that nobody will have jurisdiction after this is over. Huh. *Butch hurriedly consults with an aide. What sounds like '...legally secede?' floats over the audience gallery.*

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Loel posted:

So Im guessing CSA didnt get the hispanic sweep that Tejas did :v:

With a bit of care, that population is still manageable for the all-white crowd.

edit: found your press secretary :D

Well, I was tempted to use Senator Brooks' portrait for a laugh. But really, given the states in question, the setting and the assumption that the delegates were chosen by state governments, It was kinda a given it would be a crusty white conservative dude.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Thats fair :D Having a foil for the coasts is good too.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Charles Cromwell, voicemail to editor

I know you're not picking up this late so I'll cc you my report after this but maybe you would pick up because sometimes you're up late at night.

Yes, I know my voice is racing right now, but it's caffeine and cigarettes and l-theanine and piracetam from Canada and modafinal from France. All completely legal and safe. So don't interrupt me.

Okay, so, you know how the delegates are arriving at different times right, and how today was supposed to be just general get to know you house cleaning stuff right? We'll, hears the skinny on what I'm going to break in 2 minutes and that's going to hit the news networks in 10 minutes and that'll be formally announced in an hour. This is straight from Chuck to Johnny to me.

Today most of the delegates get together right? Speakers there too. Just informal chatting stuff. People go back and forth between bullshitting and talking policy. Charles already had an infrastructure thing written up, knew the bullet points and speaking points by heart. So he spends all his time schmoozing on getting that done legislatively. Making sure its popular enough to have a decent chance at passing in the senate. Going into the convention Hernendez gave the law itself his blessing, Chambers of Commerce gave it their blessing, a lot of people are on board even though the public has no idea it's on the table.

So, he has popular support from the delegates and their backers, he makes some trades for votes as legislation because he knows he won't get an amendment passed once the full session opens. But then he and Marmon and Hernendaz organize like a conventional putsch. Calls for a up or down vote. Linda gets her treaties, Charles gets his infrastructure. Minimal favors are traded. And there was nothing in the rules to prevent it from happening. I'm sure Kevin Young was the one to actually make the putsch happen but there's no evidence for that. Johnny sold it as all Tingle and oh yeah these people were here too.

Oh yeah, complaints are definitely going to be raised. poo poo will hit the fan. Court cases will be filed. But that's all unconfirmed and off the record. On the record I'm going to report that delegates arrived early, votes happened early, delegates approved several things, here are the preliminary details.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Elmnt80 posted:

Well, I was tempted to use Senator Brooks' portrait for a laugh. But really, given the states in question, the setting and the assumption that the delegates were chosen by state governments, It was kinda a given it would be a crusty white conservative dude.

That's not just any crusty white conservative dude, that is Dale motherfucking Reed himself.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

RandomPauI posted:

Charles Cromwell, voicemail to editor

I know you're not picking up this late so I'll cc you my report after this but maybe you would pick up because sometimes you're up late at night.

Yes, I know my voice is racing right now, but it's caffeine and cigarettes and l-theanine and piracetam from Canada and modafinal from France. All completely legal and safe. So don't interrupt me.

Okay, so, you know how the delegates are arriving at different times right, and how today was supposed to be just general get to know you house cleaning stuff right? We'll, hears the skinny on what I'm going to break in 2 minutes and that's going to hit the news networks in 10 minutes and that'll be formally announced in an hour. This is straight from Chuck to Johnny to me.

Today most of the delegates get together right? Speakers there too. Just informal chatting stuff. People go back and forth between bullshitting and talking policy. Charles already had an infrastructure thing written up, knew the bullet points and speaking points by heart. So he spends all his time schmoozing on getting that done legislatively. Making sure its popular enough to have a decent chance at passing in the senate. Going into the convention Hernendez gave the law itself his blessing, Chambers of Commerce gave it their blessing, a lot of people are on board even though the public has no idea it's on the table.

So, he has popular support from the delegates and their backers, he makes some trades for votes as legislation because he knows he won't get an amendment passed once the full session opens. But then he and Marmon and Hernendaz organize like a conventional putsch. Calls for a up or down vote. Linda gets her treaties, Charles gets his infrastructure. Minimal favors are traded. And there was nothing in the rules to prevent it from happening. I'm sure Kevin Young was the one to actually make the putsch happen but there's no evidence for that. Johnny sold it as all Tingle and oh yeah these people were here too.

Oh yeah, complaints are definitely going to be raised. poo poo will hit the fan. Court cases will be filed. But that's all unconfirmed and off the record. On the record I'm going to report that delegates arrived early, votes happened early, delegates approved several things, here are the preliminary details.

:allears:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

The clink of glasses - ice and fine whiskey.
"That was a fine bit of work, if I do say so myself." Mr. Hernendez was half buzzed, smiling. Young smiled with him.
"Four trillion dollar infrastructure bill, a mandate to continue it, and half a dozen treaties. You got more work done than the last dozen Congresses." He chuckled. "How does it feel, to be the best in the world?"
"I like it." A momentary frown. "Tingle is out there, talking up a storm."
"That was the deal, after all. He gets a lot of the credit, in return for the vote."
Mr. Hernendez- the other Mr. Hernendez - spoke. "And, to be fair, he did most of the work on the infrastructure bill. I think that was the one thing he came here for. Had all the numbers and locations mapped out."
"Yup. And we got our mandate, so it won't get this bad again."
"And Linda gets her treaties."
"Didn't see much point to some of them, to be honest. The military doesn't use landmines anymore anyway."
Young shrugged. "Politicians and their pet issues, you know how it goes."
"Mm."
"What's next?"
"Preamble to the Constitution. The Speaker wants to change a letter, modernize it."
"Sad."
"Makes him feel involved, I guess. After that?"
"Article 1." Young smiled. "And that, we're here for."
"Voter laws. Election methods. Gerrymandering."
"Voter fraud and IDs."
Young nodded. "Yup. Figure we can package that all together."
"A second bundle for the electoral college, and a third for the senate."
"That's require a lot of horse-trading."
"Yeah. I'm expecting quotas to the House, expand the House, more representation for the territories and reservations. Maybe clarification on impeachment, line veto, commerce clause. Gold standard. No deficit spending."
"Militia laws."
"Hah. Yeah, that'll be a fight."
"Just means more options to trade for."
Hernendez raised his glass. "I'll drink to that."

Loel fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 7, 2016

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Hey, while we're at it, can we have something other than First-Past-The-Post?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Chwoka posted:

That is indeed my goal :D Im going for IRV, but Im also open to Schulze or MMP.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Chwoka posted:

That's at the top of my list.

(Also portrait pending )

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Chwoka posted:

Already been brought up to the Speaker; I'm sure it'll end up on the docket in short order.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Loel posted:

That is indeed my goal :D Im going for IRV, but Im also open to Schulze or MMP.

Schulze :swoon:

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
Hello @RagnarokAngel! As a lifelong resident of Boston, I feel I should bring up some initial issues that I feel are important to us in the New England (specifically MA) community.

Science and technology and, most importantly, education spending and establishment: By Einstein's tufty head we need more of this. It is an embarrassment being lumped in with the South in terms of "America" right now, as frankly they're not investing in these things as much as New England is. As a nation, educating our populace beyond grade school should be a HUGE priority. Alternately, invest more in trade programs and trade high schools more. Everyone should have a job waiting for them in their chosen field when they graduate these programs. This will help with that infrastructure package that just got voted in as well: teach people to keep stuff running and in good repair, or to build the technologies that will.

As well, on that note, there should be regular changes to the education process every 10 years or so. Full reassessment of whether the schools of America (from pre-K through post-docs) are actually still the best in the world. If not, we pivot to match or exceed the rest of the world.

Guns: I can take 'em or leave 'em personally, but I think there needs to be stricter controls on lobbying by groups such as the NRA, and these groups' impact on gun research needs to be minimized. I won't say outlaw them (that would be naive, especially with NH, VT and ME in our region), but these armed lobbyists are currently tying the hands of progress. I won't say "a boomstick in every closet", but there needs to be national registries of firearms, and possibly even a tracking/registration chip in every gun sold. Or better ammunition control and tracking laws.

Native rights: Get crackin' on these. It's shameful seeing these get swept under the rug and then trampled upon. The current pipeline fiasco out west is frustrating to read about, especially as it ties into...

...The Environment: Get oil out of our government. Ban fracking, get the foreign control over gas out of our economy. As part of our infrastructure spending, get more folks into the alternative energy fields (solar, wind), and invest in education on safer nuclear options (because hearing anti-science hippies arguing that every nuclear reactor should be shut down because of radiation fears is silly, especially given they don't have a solution on what else to turn to).

I'm sure I'll think of more things that are super-important to get happening in the upper echelons of government (privacy and freedom of information/transparency comes to mind), but that's for another day.

Happy voting!

e: Also, uphold the Paris Agreement and get more sex ed/space exploration and colonization spending happening nationwide.

mepstein73 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 7, 2016

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

That went better than I thought it would. It's nice to have some reasonable voices to negotiate with. I expected Texas to get some racist proto-dictator as a delegate, so it's good to see the Hernandez brothers are willing to negotiate and work around such things.

Senator Tingle... well. It's Appalachia. At least he negotiates at all.

Land use rights are the biggest thing I'm getting emails about, as well as energy policy, but I don't have a ton of experience in the latter so I'll see if someone else brings it up. Since the Paris Treaty has been signed, we should look into actually doing something to meet the goals on it. Hm... actually, I bet I can roll energy policy into climate change. It'll have to be carefully managed, though.

Let's see what else I've gotten... bills, spam, trolls... nuclear disarmament. The NCR knows better than the rest of the country what damage nuclear weapons can do. Sounds good to me. More trolls, another bill, campaign fundraising... hmm voter reform would be a good one, but I think someone else will probably take it up, and I can just chip in ideas for it. Here's another... "Please reform the IHS and get rid of the BIA". I can probably manage the IHS part with public health. The funding will have to be hashed out by the legislature, though. The BIA will also probably be a legislature thing, but I'll try for it if I can.

Oh, here's something else. "Reform the police and other law enforcement agencies." Considering the recent police shootings and brutality, that definitely needs to happen. I'll see what I can do with it. Guns are a really touchy subject in general in my area, so I'm not looking forward to it.

As for the preamble... a lot of the text will need updating for current spelling and word use. I'm ok with that. The stuff we really need to change is farther in, anyway.

Hmm... we got the treaties done, so we can actually try to work on our human rights records. That infrastructure bill needs funding, though. Most regions of the NCR are poor, so I'll see if someone else suggests something.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

We here at home would like to know - what is the IHS and BIA?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Loel posted:

We here at home would like to know - what is the IHS and BIA?
BIA is, I'm guessing, the racist (and inaccurate) Bureau of Indian Affairs. No idea on IHS

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

OOC : I got god drat slammed at work today so my policy statement is a half formatted google doc I made during lunch, sorry. Everyone else's intros have just been so good and I don't want to let you down. I'm doubling down on this and think it just keeps getting cooler, but I wasn't expecting this level of involvement so real-life poo poo I scheduled earlier than this thread was made is a temporary slog. I promise something tomorrow, even if it's not as good as I'd like!

That said, I do have a half week vacation next week starting on the afternoon of the 15th until that Sunday. I should still be able to follow the thread but I'll be phone posting. I'll be back in time to keep up but if there's some alternate in the wings I ain't know about I'd be happy to share.

PS if anyone knows good GIS search terms for an NYC as gently caress politician, please help. I have this idea in my head but I can't quite formulate it. Basically like sleazy but more liberal de Blasio???

PPS I thought I was a good GM but you guys are loving clowning on me with how good you are at this poo poo. God drat. Nice!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Xiahou Dun posted:

OOC : I got god drat slammed at work today so my policy statement is a half formatted google doc I made during lunch, sorry. Everyone else's intros have just been so good and I don't want to let you down. I'm doubling down on this and think it just keeps getting cooler, but I wasn't expecting this level of involvement so real-life poo poo I scheduled earlier than this thread was made is a temporary slog. I promise something tomorrow, even if it's not as good as I'd like!

That said, I do have a half week vacation next week starting on the afternoon of the 15th until that Sunday. I should still be able to follow the thread but I'll be phone posting. I'll be back in time to keep up but if there's some alternate in the wings I ain't know about I'd be happy to share.

PS if anyone knows good GIS search terms for an NYC as gently caress politician, please help. I have this idea in my head but I can't quite formulate it. Basically like sleazy but more liberal de Blasio???

PPS I thought I was a good GM but you guys are loving clowning on me with how good you are at this poo poo. God drat. Nice!

Loel fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 7, 2016

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

e:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Lol we both went for Tony

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

Don't gently caress with the classics.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
ooc: i also got slammed at work so i'm half done, give me another day or so

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
As a resident of South Carolina I would like to lodge a formal protest that my so-called "representative" tried to lump my state in with loving Georgia.

What the hell is wrong with you man?

He didn't even include my state in a survey of Tidewater. This is an outrage! Will the people of my state even be represented in this Convention at all!?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

paragon1 posted:

As a resident of South Carolina I would like to lodge a formal protest that my so-called "representative" tried to lump my state in with loving Georgia.

What the hell is wrong with you man?

He didn't even include my state in a survey of Tidewater. This is an outrage! Will the people of my state even be represented in this Convention at all!?

Wow, thats cold. Tejas named all our states.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Your real problem is that you are a resident of the state of South Carolina.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Carcetti since he's the nicest face to look at

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Why go for Carcetti when you can go for the real deal:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Your real problem is that you are a resident of the state of South Carolina.

Quiet you. All are deserving of consideration by their representative.

Now that said, allow me to make a proposal on a new method to select a legislature for your consideration.

My proposal is simple. Select representatives by draft. The only requirement will be that they be of 18 years of age or older and have been a resident of the United states for at least five contiguous years. One house. One representatives per one hundred thousand people (so currently about three thousand, one hundred eighty-nine representatives. Representatives will serve ten year terms, and the terms will be staggered such that one tenth of the Legislature is replaced every year.

Serving your term must be mandatory. Punishment of delinquency must be swift and harsh. No exemptions, no exceptions.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Oh, we doing this now? Okay. Let's throw out some trial balloons.

Kevin Young, Chief of Staff

Proposal Voting districts at all levels shall be redistributed via algorithm for optimally compact and equal populations.

Proposal Campaigning will be permitted three months prior to the election, and voting may begin two months prior. In this way, primaries would be six months before the general, with voting for the primary being 3-5 months prior to the general.

Proposal Campaigns will be publically and equally funded, without private donations.

Proposal To prevent voter fraud, all adult residents shall be given Voter IDs, and voting shall be mandatory. This can be done by write-in, early voting, or other methods.

Proposal Voting shall be done via instant-run off method at all levels.

Proposal In the event of presidential elections, the electoral votes shall be distributed by proportion of population. (Winning 53% of votes means winning 53% of electoral college)

Proposal After these changes take place at the next election, all federal appointee slots (judges et al) must be filled within 90 days of their vacancy. Should Congress fail to fill vacancies within 90 days, the executive branch reserves the right to fill vacancies in their stead.

Proposal The Senate is abolished, and its powers are moved to the House

Proposal Statehood is granted to some/all of DC, Samoa, Guam, Mariana, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, and Navaho

Loel fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 7, 2016

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

You guys are making me want to have a legislative thread after the CC wraps up... :sigh:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

You guys are making me want to have a legislative thread after the CC wraps up... :sigh:

That sounds like a method for gridlock, that's why we need to get things done now :D

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Loel posted:

Proposal Statehood is granted to some/all of DC, Samoa, Guam, Mariana, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Canada, Mexico and Navaho

fixed that for you

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

HiHo ChiRho posted:

fixed that for you

lol adding 7 states from Mexico would be amazing. So long outsourced jobs. Hello 14 democratic senators.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Appelacia, Liz Tingle, wife of Senator Tingle. To an upper level female staffer for the Tejas delegation

Oh, hey, hi there. So, I was wondering if I could meet up with Senorita Hernendez? It'll be nice to socialize with the other wives, share our own, personal thoughts and concerns about how the delegation's coming along.
Oh, well, I can tolerate that but it would still be nice to talk with the other women spouses just about things, in a nice friendly informal setting
What? You don't seem to be reading between the lines here, perhaps things are done differently across the border...(forced smile and chuckle)
I understand that the delegates and their staff are handling the actual decision making. God you are making this difficult! Okay, so, if a Misses Hernendez wants to talk with myself or the other wives we're sharing our numbers. And if she happens to bring up something she thinks is important she can give a call to THIS NUMBER. And if I happen to think its important too and I might pass that on to my husband. No need for memos or emails, this'll just be a thing that happens!

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 7, 2016

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

lol adding 7 states from Mexico would be amazing. So long outsourced jobs. Hello 14 democratic senators.

From Sea to Shining Si

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Marķa Guadalupe Lopez, the Mistress

Mrs. Tingle, hi. My name is Marķa, I'm associated with the twins. Kevin has already tossed some ideas out to the other back room dealers, but we wanted to know what was important for you in the upcoming Article 1 packet.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
So now you've got incestuous sodomites (yeah, good luck proving they're not in a threesome with their shared mistress) deciding the future of America. Your idiots are getting replaced with staunch conservatives unless you kill a bunch of people really quick. That's best case too, more likely you torpedoed the whole thing.

Loel posted:

María Guadalupe Lopez, the Mistress

Mrs. Tingle, hi. My name is María, I'm associated with the twins.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Loel posted:

Oh, we doing this now? Okay. Let's throw out some trial balloons.

Proposal Voting districts at all levels shall be redistributed via algorithm for optimally compact and equal populations.

Proposal Campaigning will be permitted three months prior to the election, and voting may begin two months prior. In this way, primaries would be six months before the general, with voting for the primary being 3-5 months prior to the general.

Proposal Campaigns will be publically and equally funded, without private donations.

Proposal To prevent voter fraud, all adult residents shall be given Voter IDs, and voting shall be mandatory. This can be done by write-in, early voting, or other methods.

Proposal Voting shall be done via instant-run off method at all levels.

Proposal In the event of presidential elections, the electoral votes shall be distributed by proportion of population. (Winning 53% of votes means winning 53% of electoral college)

Proposal After these changes take place at the next election, all federal appointee slots (judges et al) must be filled within 90 days of their vacancy. Should Congress fail to fill vacancies within 90 days, the executive branch reserves the right to fill vacancies in their stead.

Proposal The Senate is abolished, and its powers are moved to the House

Proposal Statehood is granted to some/all of DC, Samoa, Guam, Mariana, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, and Navaho

Appelacia, "Frank" Isidore (middle), Sen. Tingles Chief of Staff

Okay, we owe you one for the Infrastructure thing so let's see if we can reach common ground.

More states and territories? We have a low-ball in mind but if it doesn't gain traction and your stuff does and he should be able to support those without taking a big hit.

Vote proposals. Depending on how things are worded this can add votes to one party or the other, it can remove barriers to voting, or it can add barriers to voting. Charley will get hurt anyway so he can afford to be more "principled" once the discussion starts. So what's your goal here?

Changing how the president's elected, Charley's already on board. Our delegates probably have similar ideas, we can work out the details later. Mandating changes to how the states run elections...that will be tough, a states rights issue. Hypothetically speaking, if the federal executive and legislative all go one system the states might just follow out of convenience.

Finance reform, even tougher. Biggest question is how do you decide who pays, who gets paid, and why shouldn't people be allowed to spend their own money to say "I like so and so!". A few piecemeal things like overturning citizens united would be popular enough with the constituents and uniform enough to make the campaigning hit tolerable.

Vacancies, he will need something tacked providing protection if the congress is out of session or congress decides they don't like the appointment.

Getting rid of the Senate? What the gently caress will you replace it with? It sounds like you'll replace it with nothing. Charley proposed a clusterfuck of a system back in the day and brought it up again just for the press attention but there's no way that will pass so he won't even bring it to the floor. What happens when like 200 Texans vote in favor of taking control of the Mississippi against 20 Louisianans and there's no Senate to stop it? On behalf of Charlie I say no, gently caress you and on behalf of myself I hope his momentary outburst doesn't impact our working relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

RandomPauI posted:

Appelacia, "Frank" Isidore (middle), Sen. Tingles Chief of Staff

Okay, we owe you one for the Infrastructure thing so let's see if we can reach common ground.

More states and territories? We have a low-ball in mind but if it doesn't gain traction and your stuff does and he should be able to support those without taking a big hit.

Vote proposals. Depending on how things are worded this can add votes to one party or the other, it can remove barriers to voting, or it can add barriers to voting. Charley will get hurt anyway so he can afford to be more "principled" once the discussion starts. So what's your goal here?

Changing how the president's elected, Charley's already on board. Our delegates probably have similar ideas, we can work out the details later. Mandating changes to how the states run elections...that will be tough, a states rights issue. Hypothetically speaking, if the federal executive and legislative all go one system the states might just follow out of convenience.

Finance reform, even tougher. Biggest question is how do you decide who pays, who gets paid, and why shouldn't people be allowed to spend their own money to say "I like so and so!". A few piecemeal things like overturning citizens united would be popular enough with the constituents and uniform enough to make the campaigning hit tolerable.

Vacancies, he will need something tacked providing protection if the congress is out of session or congress decides they don't like the appointment.

Getting rid of the Senate? What the gently caress will you replace it with? It sounds like you'll replace it with nothing. Charley proposed a clusterfuck of a system back in the day and brought it up again just for the press attention but there's no way that will pass so he won't even bring it to the floor. What happens when like 200 Texans vote in favor of taking control of the Mississippi against 20 Louisianans and there's no Senate to stop it? On behalf of Charlie I say no, gently caress you and on behalf of myself I hope his momentary outburst doesn't impact our working relationship.

Awesome, let's see what we can start with. No senate, that's fine. A lot of these are to test the waters, see where the delegates are coming from. Lot of 'em don't have established records, so we want to get some sketches this way. Hawaii would probably love the new states, and I think New England and NCR would too. So if you and I want to trade with them, I bet you we could get something worth while.

Vacancies, yeah, we're fine with you doing the wording. You did fine on the infrastructure bill, so we'll probably just give it a once over. Our main concern is not letting Congress leave a hundred Judge vacancies because they don't like the other party. A lot of our initial proposals are to get the machine of government simply running again, even before we do something innovative.

We can probably get NCR on over-tuning Citizens United, maybe New England and California too. You make a good point, going further than that would be a hard sell.

For the equally apportioned districts, the idea is to prevent gerrymandering, so we don't get absurd things like one party chopping up a city into 6 districts, all of whom lose. That's not democratic at all.

• Locked thread