Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Gaston Thunderburp has travelled to the Forest of Wyrms in search of an old temple.

The main side-quest in the early part of the expansion is the one concerning the Coldhearth Lich. The 1st floor of the cave was mainly populated by large groups of undead, and this group of crawlers and umber hulks. They were not a threat with the confusion blocking helmet I found in the Korlasz family tomb, though.

More packs of undead on the 2nd floor, and this bronze sentry. Some quick experimentation with wands led me to learn its vulnerable to ice, 4 blasts of that wand and a short time in melee combat was enough to beat it.

Speaking of undead, this group in the sarcophagus room got Gaston to the experience cap of 500,000 exp. It turns out minor globe of invulnerability blocks the drain life spell of shadowed souls, so they were rendered harmless. The lich himself was no threat with the gem the other dwarves gave me, and his phylactery was found and promptly destroyed.

Oh look, foreshadowing. I'm not entirely sure what an "Umbral Accord" is, mind you. As an aside, David Warner's voice acting of that last line is amazingly venomous, you can tell he's sick of Hephernaan's poo poo even after a 30 second chat.

I found a troll cave while travelling between areas, it didn't contain much of use.

The next "ambush area" while travelling to the forest of wyrms was a little more fruitful, the big hole led to a small cave with some myconids.

Oops, poor guy got exploded by this totally mysterious "exile" character. Oh well. He also had a lower resistance scroll, which is nice.

At the back of the cave, there was this sword, it might have some use I suppose.

After reaching the forest, these wyverns were killed with ranged weapons. Fortunately, they move quite slowly.

In a spider nest, this big beetle was easily killed. The bombardier beetles didn't go hostile, so I just ignored them.

A little further on, another cave. :stare: Alright then, that's enough for one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

biscuits and crazy posted:

After a short conversation with the mysterious hooded man voiced by David Warner who will very definitely never be seen again, Gaston (Also voiced by David Warner, oddly enough) left with the Flaming Fist for the army camp.

Wait, they got David Warner back to record lines for the enhanced edition? I might have to play this then.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

queserasera posted:

Wait, they got David Warner back to record lines for the enhanced edition? I might have to play this then.
They seem to have gotten back as many VAs as they could. David Warner, Jim Cummings, Melissa Disney, Kevin Michael Richardson, and so on.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The only noticeable absence is Jaheira's voice. They couldn't reach her at all, apparently.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Rogal the Shaman has finished her sword coast vacation spot tour!

We head to Ulgoth's Beard. Its protector seems to think we might not be entirely on the up and up for some reason.

Dorn endears himself with the tale of when Ur-Gothoz came knocking.

Anyway. That out of the way, a brief bit of murder and larceny to steal some charts, and off on a holiday voyage.

We may need to rethink our policy on slaughtering the followers of the Goddess that calls herself 'Bitch Queen of the sea.'.

One quick lycanthrope slaughter later, do we bother telling her her husband sent us, or do we just kill them both, yearning for each other in despair, an ocean apart?

Silly question. One last twist of the knife...

Onto Durlag. We free the succubus, then double-cross it before it can escape.

We clean house between the demon at the top and the demon at the bottom, hitting the cap somewhere around the 3rd or 4th floor.

Aec'letec. We stash the dagger and roll out the welcome wagon.

Our offer to team up is rebuffed, with predictable consequences.

So, vacation over. O Brother, where art thou?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Rogal the Shaman has committed fratricide!

Back to the Gate to touch base with team Z.

We murder our way through the flaming fist compound to free up the sick duke, kill the assassins in the Undercellar, Big drat Heroes our way into the coronation and successfully save both dukes by sowing horror and confusion amongst the Doppelgangers. (Should we start up Belt and Liia counters?)

Anyway. Down to the maze, the undercity, and the final battle. So long, sibling.

Honours claimed: Ironling, Purist, Librarian, Trap-Dodger.

Edit: Oh hey, jump cut! Time to do the Siege blind!

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 21, 2016

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Violet the Blade begins her adventures in Amn!

Nice stats for starting out BG2. I'll try to keep the neutral Swiss Valor going, so I start by recruiting Jaheira, Jan, Neera, and Anomen.

First real quest, as usual, is freeing the Copper Coronet slaves.

The slaver main base fight is a bit of a clusterfuck of competing confusion spells, but I pull through.

Violet tries to have some fun at the circus, but a disgruntled gnome gives everyone a bad time.

While saving that one poisoned Harper I accidentally trigger Jaheira's curse sidequest at the Docks, so I have to go clear that up real quick before doing anything else.

I head out to Trademeet to deal with their druid problem. I also handle their troll infestation pro bono.

Cernd takes out Faldorn, then joins as my party's sixth member.

Violet: Hero of Trademeet, Leader of Bears

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

When we last left our heroes, Minerva the Dwarven Defender had successfully defended her camp despite player incompetence resulting in effectively being unarmored.

We invade Dragonspear, and after killing some rank-and-file, Ashatiel challenges Minerva to single combat.

It goes extremely poorly for her.

We head north in the courtyard and bump into the Barghest again, so we kite as many of his group back to our allies as we can. They don't all follow, but enough do, including Bargy himself.

So we mop up the rest.

Aaand of course she realizes when it's too late. Good job, I thought paladins were supposed to be reasonably wise.

We easily carve our way through... whichever Hell this is. Avernus maybe? Idk. Even the abishai just kind of fall over.

And we end up winning a loving sweet helmet for Minerv... wait. You son of a bitch.

Whoa whoa whoa, hold both the phone and the gently caress up. Isn't Belhifet the big bad from Icewind Dale? So THAT'S why Hephernaan is such a Brother Poquelin-looking motherfucker. Even his character model was foreshadowing his allegiance. That's actually pretty neat and makes me want to play IWD again, I don't think I have in probably a good 5-6 years. Props, Beamdog. Props.

A charmed Neera just stands there burning in WHATEVER THE gently caress THAT IS. Also most of our buffs wore off either in the elevator or shortly into the fight. Stupid time-wasting elevator.

A crit from Schael Corwin and Belhifet is fuckin dead.

Yep, them's the breaks when someone gets it into their head to sacrifice thousands to save one.

After some inventory reshuffling so I can make sure Minerva has everything that I want to transfer to BG2 (please let some of the cooler SoD things come with), we head back to the Prime and... that's... ominous.

:sigh: Irenicus, please go away and let me dream about puppies or something.

...Oh. Um. Crap.

:raise: What do you mean against it? My reputation's like fuckin 19. Did a crusader testify or something?

Wait, Soultaker? Wasn't that the one that I got from Durlag's Tower for Hurgan? Was Hurgan working for Irenicus? Were the cultists?

Isra keeps Minerva company in prison (no not like that) as loving Irenicus (also not like that) comes to gloat. Apparently he's the one who actually killed Skie. Thanks, pal, get me the gallows why don't'cha.

Oh. Uh, thanks for not killing me, I guess?

:unsmith: Thanks, buddy. Wait, does being able to retrieve my equipment mean that there's more combat? Was Belhifet not the end of it?

Apparently not. There's a second one further on, along with some loot that's locked and we can't bash open, but I can't imagine it would've been anything worth bothering with this late in the game.

Oh, hey Imoen.

And... everyone else. With the classic party being here, I guess I know what that means, then.

Yep.

And with that, Minerva the Dwarven Defender has completed the Siege of Dragonspear!

Honors earned: Siege Breaker, Honorable Trader, Blind Faith

Thoughts on SoD: That was really fun. It was a bit more linear than I'd hoped, but then ToB was fairly linear too, so I guess it's sort of just in keeping with what's established. I really appreciated all the returning classic VOs. The story was pretty good too, and honestly, until I learned what Hephernaan was really up to I was actually sort of feeling it for Caelar and her crusade. I mean, I kind of figured it'd be doomed to fail simply because there's no way you can take on all nine Hells just because of the sheer number of powerful enemies there, but the idea of fighting to free as many souls as you can before falling was actually sorta compelling. I thought Caelar was quite believable, too, as someone who is so convinced that she's doing what is genuinely the right and moral thing that it blinds her to other possibilities. It was also nice having an antagonist who was good-aligned (or at least presumably so, anyway) who you still had real reason to fight against and try to stop even as someone else who's good.

Time to mod up BG2!

Tumblr of scotch fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 21, 2016

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Caelar was Lawful Stupid, same as all other paladins. I'm pretty impressed you managed to beat SoD blind without dying.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

When we last left our heroes, Minerva the Dwarven Defender had just been captured by rapscallions, scoundrels, thugs, and even a knave or two.

Minerva awakens to find herself being tortured by the creep who kept stalking the party. A quick breakout later, and it's time to get a move-on. Also apparently the starting pile of weapons on the table doesn't have ranged weapons any more???

I'll just take that back, thankyouverymuch.

A bit of dungeon delving later and we've got enough enchanted weapons to take down this defenseless target fast enough to not get bored.

The cambion is a fair bit harder than before. I don't remember it having quite the range of spells that it seemed to have access to this time.

The mephits are still fine, but annoying as ever in numbers.

We backtrack a bit to take out these golems on our terms.

Once we get downstairs, Jaheira summons a fire elemental (whose mom came with! how sweet!) to do the busywork of clearing out the mephit portals while we sit around.

They help quite a bit in taking down Ulvaryl.

And disappear midway through killing Frennedan.

On the way out we pick up mod NPC Yasraena for the time being since I still don't like Minsc, though I'll be replacing her with Isra again once I find her.

Once outside, we see a slightly extended, slightly modified version of the old cutscene. Neat.

And with that, Minerva the Dwarven Defender has escaped her captivity.

Suspicious posted:

I'm pretty impressed you managed to beat SoD blind without dying.
I really should have during the last fight at the army camp. That was a loving stupid oversight.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Tumblr of scotch posted:

The cambion is a fair bit harder than before. I don't remember it having quite the range of spells that it seemed to have access to this time.

Might be because you're starting BG2 at a higher level than usual. The game does have some amount of level scaling.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Rogal the Shaman has cleared out the Korlasz Tomb, and had her wretches and ne'er-do-wells go elsewhere.

Also, for some reason Safana though she could tag along for a bit. She;s no Imoen. Speaking of, she decided to become a wizard, and got backstabbed for her trouble.

Ah well, time to see if we can find out what's up this time. Going to need some new meatshields.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Quick question: On the dishonors, why is Berserker/Cleric on there? The others I'm pretty clear on, but Berserker/Cleric has never struck me as particularly egregious?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Kinda wondered that myself. It's a very good dual-class, but not to the level of OP as Kensai/Mage. If that's on there, the un-nerfed version of Ranger/Cleric should be on that list too.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Might be the fear, charm, sleep, hold, maze and imprisonment immunities from berserking.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

That would apply to any Berserker dual then, and there's a substantial amount of opportunity cost that goes into a berserker dual - much more than Kensai/loving anything really.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Found it. It's also the 15 hitpoints extra right from the start, and the fact the +2/+2 on attack/damage is equivalent to a 6th level Kensai, except able to wear armor, helms, and bracers. And that Cleric duals lose out on... being able to put more than a single pip in slings. That's it. So you have a better-than-kensai tank with a minimal dip needed, with extra survivability when you need it most.

Anyway, working on a Rogal post. Enjoying Dragonspear so far.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

that doesn't make any sense, the stuff you just mentioned is only relevant at level 1 (and even then only once per day for 1 round), by level 4 or 6 or so none of that is any different from a vanilla fighter. if the idea is that dualing at level 1 is lame i can feel that for sure but it's blowing your load super early. even if you're only doing BG1.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Just play a berserker cleric and take your demerit

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Rogal the Shaman tries to get the band back together and over a bridge.

Oh hey, a chance to betray the city that foolishly trusts me in exchange for fat loot? Count me in!

Ugh, such a lackluster assortment of companions for one disinclined to altruism. Still, Safana is beginning to grow on me.

Also, I could listen to David Warner monologue for days. :allears:

Yes, I'm stealing your cleric. I'm also stealing your 'Don't care if you're the lord of Hells one through nine' line, that's killer.

Oh hey, Edwin! Time to ditch these two squares and call in some proper magical firepower!

Baeloth, too. He'll do for a Xzar replacement. That just leaves the front line, Vicky and Capt. Corwin can hold the line for now. Time for a chat with the opposition, and a look at her own rogues gallery.

That done, let's go see what dwarves have dug too deep for this time. Looks like this scrying pool is tuned to my favourite channel.

Time to betray a lich, a bunch of clerics, and/or both. Lich wants a bunch of necklaces, so let's pour potions of master thievery into Safana 'til she sloshes and... there we go. Hand 'em over to the lich, then kill the lich with the macguffin, then find his phylactery, then toss it off the plane.

Next stop, Boareskyr Bridge.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

When we last left our heroes, Minerva the Dwarven Defender had just escape from the dungeon of one Jonathan Irenicus.

What to do, what to do... I know! The circus sounds fun! :buddy:

Well, for certain definitions of fun. We take Kalah's ring in particular, which will in no way turn out to be our downfall as it was his.

Then we head up to take out Mencar Pebblecrusher and his crew, and bump into Isra. Aaaand she's gone.

Yoshimo manages to place 4 of his 6 traps (2 of each), then turns Amon into a fine red mist.

A confused Minsc almost kills Jaheira afterward. That sounds like cause for a drink.

We head to the slums, the only place we can, and get accosted by Gaelan Bayle, then head to the local pub for a pint or twelve. When we get there we pick up another mod NPC I've not used before, Auren Auseph. I forgot to get a screenshot of her stat page but she's a neutral good human fighter with stats that are reasonably good everywhere but great nowhere. She's also a dual sword wielder, which is the same niche as Yasraena, so we say goodbye to the drow.

And also to the master of the animal pens, after picking up Hexxat from over by Lehtinan. She seems... interesting. I don't know if I like her or not (at this point, anyway) but she definitely seems interesting.

After clearing out the slaver compound next, we head to the Jysstev estate to pick up Isra after saving her sister from some thugs. Bye, Minsc.

And from there, to the graveyard to run an errand for Hexxat. This dude proves trivial.

Dragomir does not, but he still wasn't too awful.

Uh... huh. I guess Hexxat is only a temporary companion?

Or not? Just a pseudonym? Anyway Isra gets mad pretty much immediately, as expected, so I give the vampire the boot. I got a glimpse at her stats before Isra piped up and they seemed a little on the excessive side anyway. Also Beamdog missed the chance to make her a Shadowdancer instead of a kitless thief.

So we head across the street to grab Jan Jakobar Jansen. After that, a misclick sends us down to where Neera is, but I wanted to pick her up eventually anyway, so whatever.

Quaid started the reactor. :(

We duck in and out of the elemental lich's lair to get him to waste his spells, occasionally hitting him with Azuredge just in case. Eventually it works.

Then we do the same thing with the gates lich and spend the next few days hitting Isra with the ugly stick to take advantage of the stat underflow bug with the human influence ring to get Minerva's charisma up to 25.

Aaaaand apparently they've fixed that bug. With that, Minerva the Dwarven Defender has fallen not to blade or spell, but hubris. :rip:

Tumblr of scotch fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 25, 2016

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Err why even bother with the charisma underflow? The ring of 18 and the cloak of +2 get you the maximum discount in shops.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Suspicious posted:

Err why even bother with the charisma underflow? The ring of 18 and the cloak of +2 get you the maximum discount in shops.
That way I wouldn't have to worry about managing my inventory for it. :saddowns:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

armoredgorilla posted:

Just play a berserker cleric and take your demerit

I WILL ARGUE ABOUT THESE THINGS

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Berserker/Cleric is pretty nasty in my book.

Explodes liches on command, full grandmastery of the Flail of Ages and Defender of Easthaven/Crom Faeyr in the offhand, huge immunities on command... it's a pretty drat solid package no matter how you slice it.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Aww, Minerva was going so well. Not sure I understand what happened, you reduced her CHA to 0 or something?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

So I'm at the in laws various places this week, which means a lot of BG on my tablet. So I'm in.

But no Dragonspear since it's not available for iOS, and Beamdog can't get their poo poo together tomever release it, seems like. Also means screenshots will be tough until later.

Anyway, I rolled this guy:

Which is...pretty ridiculous.

Highlights so far:
1.) Decided I wanted Coran and Yeslick and maybe even Alora, which meant I needed to rush through Cloakwood. That's made things...hard.
2.) Ankheg Plate counts as metal armor. It shouldn't! It's chitanous! Druids can wear it! But my beastmaster is limited to studded leather. And the game hasn't poo poo for that armor--the shadowed leather is good butnthief only.
3.) Still, between stealth and a composite bow I cleared out the Nashkel mines pretty easily. NIMBUL proved dangerous since he's like the one enemy in the game that won't get trivialized in a barrage of missiles.
4.) Grabbed a potion of invulnerability off Silke which helpfully gives me an armor class low enough to tank Ankhegs. Grabbed Kivan while I did it, and then took down the bandit camp. Turns out when you're under leveled you use a lot of the items you wouldn't normally. Like potions of fire breath, which melted the enemy made in the bandit tent.
5.) Jaheira's potion of invisibility let me clear cloakwood 2 by triggering all the traps, and then my racial enemy: spider made workmof the rest.
6.) HOLY poo poo call lightning is dangerous. That Cloakwood 1 encounter hit me for 40 HP in one strike, and that was with boots of grounding on. I had to hide in the cabin the minute the battle ended. Used a potion of magic shielding to hedge my bets.
7.) Closest I've come to dying so far: the ogre made in Cloakwood Mines casts thru damage, and he got off a Confusion. Coran confused with the boots of speed and taking pot shots at my leader is bad news.

Anyway, Davaeorn is dead and I'm wandering around the countryside collecting random poo poo. PC/Imoen/Garrick/Coran/KivanYeslick. Yeslick tanks while everything else turns the enemy into pincushions.

Is Alora worth using? Having permanent "luck" seems crazy strong, but I'm not kicking out Coran--my guy for backstabbing Durlag's to death. And losing Imoen seems pretty rough too. I guess I could drop Garrick?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Mountaineer posted:

Aww, Minerva was going so well. Not sure I understand what happened, you reduced her CHA to 0 or something?
Yeah, in BG2 classic, if you had the ring of human influence on (or anything else that sets your Cha to a preset amount), then you can use the staff from the city gate lich to reduce your Cha to 0 and still survive (unless you took the ring off), but then doing it once more caused it to underflow to the maximum value of 25, at which point you could take the ring off again. Apparently they fixed that like they fixed inventory underflow for gem duping. :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

FairGame posted:

Is Alora worth using? Having permanent "luck" seems crazy strong, but I'm not kicking out Coran--my guy for backstabbing Durlag's to death. And losing Imoen seems pretty rough too. I guess I could drop Garrick?
garrick is loving hilariously bad but alora comes so late in the game that she's wholly superfluous. the rabbit's foot might be really awesome if it gave her +hit or +damage to make her a backstab machine, but it increases a thieving skills and buffs her saving throws and AC; you've definitely got more than enough thieving skills by the time you're rolling around in BG City and who the gently caress cares about saving throws and AC on a thief

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 25, 2016

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Berserker/Cleric is in the dishonours because I did a solo ironman (With a full install of SCS) with one last year and it was almost completely effortless. It really is an amazing class combination. It's much, much easier to solo than a Kensai/Mage overall as well, albeit probably not quite as powerful as a K/M once it gets its full range of power. I don't think being slightly less powerful at worst than a fully powered Kensai/Mage disqualifies something from being OP.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 25, 2016

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I'd take Garrick over Alora if only because he can use wands, and really what do you need a third thief for?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Berserker/Cleric is in the dishonours because I did a solo ironman (With a full install of SCS) with one last year and it was almost completely effortless. It really is an amazing class combination. It's much, much easier to solo than a Kensai/Mage overall as well, albeit probably not quite as powerful as a K/M once it gets its full range of power. I don't think being slightly less powerful at worst than a fully powered Kensai/Mage disqualifies something from being OP.

I mean it doesn't really matter to me from a play perspective. If me and my buddy decide to include a build like this (we haven't actually fully decided on our squad yet), we'll just use Fighter dualed to Cleric at 4 instead of Berserker to avoid the demerit; literally the only thing you'll lose is some immunities on command, which the Cleric can almost entirely replicate with his spells by level 5 anyway. It really isn't that big of a deal. My larger reason for bringing it up is it just seems really out of left field; stuff like Kensai gets most of its power from the class itself, it takes very little to kit out a Kensai and most of the things you want for him are at best second priority to other classes. You really, really only need experience for a K/M or K/T or K/almost anything to do its thing; immunities aside they even do very impressively with relatively mundane weapons. This is something it shares with Cleric/Mage and the old Ranger/Cleric. Zerkers still need good weapons, good armor, etc to get nuts on stuff, and the items in demand are the same items that any other tank wants, so you'll still be fighting with everyone from Ajantis to Kagain. The tradeoff you get for going Berserker vs vanilla Fighter is a really good one no argument, but it doesn't make or break a character in and of itself.

All that poo poo said, I just don't think it's that great of an idea to say "I did it solo and found it easy" is a real qualification for being OP because I've also done that with a single class Bounty Hunter and a single class Priest of Talos; half the stuff in the game is gonna become OP if that's our criteria and this has always been one of my favorite threads so I'd rather not see it restricted like that.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

You're already covered!

In the next section is a list of honors to be competed for (if you care) and dishonors to avoid (unless you don't give a poo poo). These are purely for amusement and you may strive for or ignore them as much as you desire.

Note: All honors on this page are purely for entertainment purposes and in some cases to give veteran players something new to try for. Feel free to ignore these completely if you think they are dumb.

Working on a fresh Rogal update.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Let's try this again. Yolanda the Wizard Slayer has entered the arena.

Not Born Hero, and in fact it took probably a good 5-10 minutes of rolling to even get an 87 point total.

Rapid-fire darts kill both Carbos and Shank before they even have an opportunity to say hello.

And between that and Imoen's bow, we're able to kite the bears fairly easily even with their new faster speed.

We head south to pick up Kagain, Neera, and Tiax, the latter of whom (along with several other unreasonably-late-game NPCs) was moved to a more reasonable location by a mod.

On the way back north we take out the ogre and pick up Eldoth, who was also moved.

And who apparently is on not so good terms with Bentley. We kick him from the party briefly so we can actually buy things, then take him back.

We equally briefly pop over to the stone garden and trade Kagain for Shar-Teel. We run into a gnoll group on the way that has a protection from petrification scroll that'll be useful when we come back.

For now though, we take care of some things, like Silke, to get enough XP to guarantee we can take out the basilisks in a timely manner.

Bottlenecking the spiders outside helps manage how many we have to effectively face at once.

We head back to the garden, and the protection scroll enables us to take out every single basilisk that isn't with Mutamin before it wears off. For those ones we go grab Korax.

Picking up Korax so late also lets us use him against the mercs there.

We fight the law, and we win.

Melicamp wins, too! :henget:

We pop west to grab Safana, whom I'd totally forgotten wants you to go pick up a thing. It's a thing I'll want eventually anyway so I go get the thing.

Then we head to Peldvale to get Viconia, followed by heading around Firewine to the east to run Neera's errand. I remembered from last time that the guards will beeline for her, so before we even talk to Adoy I have her and Eldoth use a couple scrolls to pop off a Web and a Stinking Cloud. It doesn't work perfectly, but it does well enough.

Zordral doesn't get off a single spell.

On the way to the mines, we run into Dorn again, and this time we pick him up. He almost immediately gets into a fight with Shar-Teel, but apparently it's not to the death.

Again we lure Mulahey around the corner, and a quick Unholy Smite from Viconia hurts us, but hurts them more.

Bada-bing, bada-boom. Yolanda the Wizard Slayer has cleared the Nashkel mine.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Well, here we go again. Failed last year after many...many attempts.

Using the BIG world mod and pretty much ALL THE MODS except the bigger strategy and tactics ones.

Comstar goes First is a Barbarian ranger. I still want to try and finish the game as a ranger, which was the very first class I picked back when the game arrived a week after release, in the previous century.

Those stats are the initial roll - 87. Didn't take another stat roll again.

The added walking speed and abilities are nice. Looks like the mods have broken something because I can wear metal armour, but at the cost of reduced dex bonus, so I may well just wear leather armour anyway.

Gathering the party before setting forth. Myself and Imoen, on the road again, with who knows what adventures we'll have. So far I've picked up an thief, an assassin, a necromancer and an archer. Strangely, Kiven was rewarded with a magic spear by Thalentar but isn't trained in their use.

In new things so far I meet a female mage outside Thalantar's High Hedge who needs some Belladona, Flowers or blood of a loved one to cure her husband of being a werewolf, and a party of adventurer's north of Berghost who need a will retrieved from the noble's house there. Looks like the reward is insane (4500 gold!?!) but it will be an interesting diversion

Comstar fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 26, 2016

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
Is berserker->cleric really better than say berserker->mage? Hell, is kensai-> mage really better than berserker->mage for ironman?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Part of the reason Kensai/Mage is considered so fantastic is that Kensai lose absolutely nothing from the dual-class, since they cannot equip chest armor anyway. They in fact "gain" armor options in the form of robes, meaning they gain 10% magic resist from the Robe of Vecna.

Berserker/Mage loses out on heavy armor, whereas Berserker/Cleric only loses the ability to wield edged weapons... which is not a problem since some of the best weapons in the game are flails and hammers.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 26, 2016

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
But it's not about what you lose out on, it's what you have. Kensai gets some bonuses to hit and damage an some AC, berserker gets an immunity to nearly every save or die effect button, and is easier to get through BG1. That's really good for ironman.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Berserker/Mage also gets very solid armour you can cast in early in BG2 at Trademeet fwiw with the Elven Chain Mail the noble guy drops. Sure you have the robe of Vecna too but a) you're probably a couple of sidequests in by the time you can afford that, and b) you normally have at least a couple of extra mages in the party just as a matter of necessity, so Nalia is probably going to want the Robe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Rogal the Shaman has secured Boareskyr Bridge!

Man, Siege of Dragonspear is so much better at ego massaging than BGII.

Oh hey, a Dragon! Oh poo poo, Dragonfear. Welp. The mages are still up. Okay, one mage is still up. Okay, the Dragon is eating Rogal. Have I lost?

Somehow, not quite. Waaay too close. On the plus side, bonus grief for her sibling.

Okay, this is new. That's a really good time for magic resistance to kick in. Rogal gets the kill, finally displacing Davaeorn as her best.

...This is not the kind of enemy you want to face with a 2-int protagonist. Kill it with fire!

Onto the bridge, sneaking into the enemy camp. Oh, do my eyes deceive me? It's Dorn! I can finally kick this fist out of my party!

A couple of quests in and out of the bijou fortlette off to the side, and we murder our way through the crusader camp. It gets pretty hairy, but the fists and bridgeforters arrive in the nick of time to turn the tide, with only two thirds of the party dead. Good thing Shamans get automatic access to a raise dead. Onto the bridge itself. Hello Dad. Also, the real reward, another David Warner monologue. Someone mentioned trying to wand of paralysis him earlier in the thread, so we give it a shot No dice.

We finally cross the river. Next stop Dragonspear.

• Locked thread