Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

food court bailiff posted:

I've never seen this film but I heard it was ripped off from a conversation between two guys discussing a movie idea in another movie, right? It's also the plot of pseudo-Christian thriller author Ted Dekker's novel THREE, except it goes further and not only is the main character the killer, so is the love interest that he's trying to save from the killer. GET IT GUYS? "THREE"? IT WAS RIGHT THERE IN THE TITLE!

Haha. It's also ripped off from/in Fight Club and Secret Window and Perfect Stranger. It's been done to death and I always hate it.

HOWEVER, I thought Machinist had the best ending ever for a movie and it was sort of similar. Except you kind of knew it was coming, you just didn't know why. And the movie didn't try to trick you the whole time. You kinda knew while watching Machinist that he was going insane (it was the plot of the movie). So it *can* be done correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I thought the plot/themes of the ending for Heat were great. One dude gets away by dropping everything in 60 seconds the other guy gets hosed because he didn't abide by the code.

But the action of the actual final shootout on the airport was lame as gently caress. Why would a plane flying overhead tip off Al. Especially if the light was at that angle? And hell we even see Rob get the initiative. I'm assuming I'm missing something so please explain it to me.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Nope she was driving this huge truck but was also tied up in the back at the same time.

Ok I must just need to see it again, I thought the crazy one was following at a distance in another car.

Cis Lord
Nov 14, 2016
I think star wars episode 3 would have been the best movie out of that trilogy if it wasn't for the two points I mentioned. It might actually have been mediocre if it focused more an Anakin killing all the children instead of the fight between obi wan and the robot general. It could even be one of those go to movies you watch to relax when you get tired of dealing with other peoples children.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Jay-Zeus posted:

Dracula 3000 - it just blew up!
That was the best possible ending. I was laughing for an hour.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
One thing I really liked about the ending of 10 clover field lane is her hamfisted attempt to use fire to escape goodman is thwarted so quickly but her lightning fast moltov cocktail is very very effective and cooll

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Ork of Fiction posted:

Neon Demon felt like it just kind of fell off the rails. Unsuccessful metaphor/symbolism, imo. Maybe I should pay closer attention.

Too bad, too, because one of Refn's previous movies, Valhalla Rising, had kind of a similar theme going on (little dialog, lots of tension, crammed full of symbolism and interesting visuals), but I thought the ending for that movie was really good.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Vakal posted:

You kind of misread the ending on this one.

The ending on the beach with the huge storm was just another dream and Michael Shannon is still crazy as gently caress and it's getting worse. But now that he's stopped hiding his illness from his wife she can see the storms in the dreams as well so he is no longer alone. The entire point of the movie is that mental illness is horrible, but if the people closest to you understand what you are going through instead of hiding it from them, then there might be hope.

Ohhhhhhh. Welp, that flew right over my head.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Radical and BADical! posted:

DUDE. It Follows loving blew so hard I forgot it even existed until you brought it up. What a stupid, unscary movie. This is what happens when corporations pay shills to pose as normal movie goers; it's basically a new generation of snake oil salesmen cheating you out of your hard earned money by selling you a product that just plain doesn't deliver. Honestly, the last "scary" movie I saw that lived up to the hype was Cabin in the Woods and that was more of a dark comedy anyway imo. gently caress movie hype.

It Follows sucked dick. Motherfucking Scooby Doo poo poo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

People always criticize the final act of Sunshine, and the slasher angle is a bit silly, but what Boyle attempted to accomplish is actually pretty drat brilliant. Pinbacker, his skin and brain fried by 10 years of exposure to the Sun, is literally the personification of the sun and by extension, God. He's the right hand of a dying god who has given up on humanity, who doesn't believe we should be saved, and humanity says "gently caress you God" and jumpstarts the sun anyway. It's the most optimistic life-affirming atheist movie of all time. There's a cut scene from the final production that illustrates this in greater detail, where Cillian Murphy encounters Pinbacker one last time before activating the payload. Pinbacker is all like "God sent us all to heaven" or w/e and Kappa says "I don't believe in God." Yeah gently caress you god, give us more life! There's a lot more going on at the end of Sunshine than Boyle is given credit for.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
I liked Sunshine. I liked it more because when I first heard the premise of "gotta jumpstart the sun" I was filled with disdain, but then when I watched the movie itself I was happy and entertained and the soundtrack was super cool.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

also really lovely opinion time: No Country for Old Men. The ending was actually very good+well done and i get what they were doing, but on a personal level it was unsatisfying to me since I wanted more as I was enjoying it a lot until then

When dude was done talking I just jokingly said "The End" out loud and then the credits rolled, and I was like "NOOOO, WAIIIIIT"

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

bag em and tag em posted:

Kingsmen. Not that kingmen was good at all but the whole "we have to stop the villain from killing millions of people!..........by killing millions of different people......lol yeah!" Kind of pissed me off.

Worse, the end scene where the chav kid deliberately starts a bar fight with his mom's BF and his mates. Wait, wasn't your whole planet plunged into an utter bloodbath not a few weeks ago? Don't you all have memories of harming the people around you for no reason? Wouldn't that cause some, like, lingering issues?

Nope this kid insulted me, my lust for violence is insatiable

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Believe In Yrself Betty posted:

I don't know if it counts as ending cause it starts getting off track about half way.

But Hancock. Funny idea. Guy has super powers but he's kind of a gently caress up. Then the ad guy's wife turns out to be another super powers person and they're aliens who are married but can't be near each other or something and he saves her running out of the hospital.

Agreed that the movie started out really well. I thought Hancock had good reason to feel isolated and lovely, and the rest of the initial problem made perfect sense. The "oh and also she's a super-person but you can't be together because reasons" had nothing to do with the entire first half. Like, why would the ad-exec guy just happen to be married to Hancock's super-partner? I know it's movie logic but still it seems contrived to have the one person willing to take you as-is and try and help you also be married to the one person to whom you're utterly drawn but also can't be with

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Uncle Enzo posted:

Worse, the end scene where the chav kid deliberately starts a bar fight with his mom's BF and his mates. Wait, wasn't your whole planet plunged into an utter bloodbath not a few weeks ago? Don't you all have memories of harming the people around you for no reason? Wouldn't that cause some, like, lingering issues?

You mean the BF who was physically and verbally abusing his mom? Yeah, he should have turned the other cheek.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'd argue that The Babadook is the shittiest scary movie this century

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The Jungle Book (original one). Mowgli has a bunch of cool times with his animal pals, fucks up the bad tiger and then oh no he saw a singing girl with eyes and is gone forever. Lame.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

That sounds like a recipe for getting snatched and murdered

vyst posted:

I'd argue that The Babadook is the shittiest scary movie this century

Ok so I agree with this in principal because of how it all shook out in terms of the origin of the Babadook, but goddamn if that loving successive voice saying Babadook over and over again didn't gently caress me up. The sounds/soundtracks are always scarier though.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Greek Tragedy posted:

Ok so I agree with this in principal because of how it all shook out in terms of the origin of the Babadook, but goddamn if that loving successive voice saying Babadook over and over again didn't gently caress me up. The sounds/soundtracks are always scarier though.

I couldn't stop laughing at the voice because of Bobbum Man.
https://youtu.be/461tow_h2Dk

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Megan is missing is a movie about a girl who gets tricked into meeting some random stranger online and the efforts to try and find her. It feels more like a PSA about the dangers of the internet until the end, which consists of an uncomfortably long brutal rape, torture, and live burial of an underage girl

I don't know what the hell they were thinking.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Original_Z posted:

Megan is missing is a movie about a girl who gets tricked into meeting some random stranger online and the efforts to try and find her. It feels more like a PSA about the dangers of the internet until the end, which consists of an uncomfortably long brutal rape, torture, and live burial of an underage girl

im going to assume they were thinking "man this is hot" because that was one hosed up ending to a movie and I can't see it being anything but someone enacting their hosed up fantasy

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Original_Z posted:

This really upset me when I saw it, I hate this movie. It just feels gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Uncle Enzo posted:

I had no problems with how Kingsman ended. I mean, Eggsy got to gently caress the princess of Sweden in the rear end. Top notch ending.

• Locked thread