Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Ha, that's pretty cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Haha I recognized the name but didn't think it was actually him. Reading the twitch chat was hilarious. Yeah half way I figured him out. He threw me off with the standing still at first. I was also playing while actually working hence the second game breakdown.,

The playstyles in the that bracket are way different. I've having to readjust from reading the player to countering specific strats like "Roll you into a corner and spam block breakers". Kinda frustrating at times if I don't get any blocks or fast moves.

RBX fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 31, 2017

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
WELL PAID

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'm definitely seeing the problem with movie Zack because everyone can back dash most of his attacks. I'm only in league 2, but I don't have any of the leaders people are talking about yet.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Dreylad posted:

I'm definitely seeing the problem with movie Zack because everyone can back dash most of his attacks. I'm only in league 2, but I don't have any of the leaders people are talking about yet.

the art of shoving your opponent into a corner and keeping him there

even if you take a few hits its worth it to keep them pinned in because they can't do much against breakers if they're energy tapped, and they have to use moves that throw you back to get some spacing

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

M.Zack, Goldar, and OG Jason are shovers. as Rafza stated, the main goal when playing a breaker-centric character (of any class) like this is to push the opponent into their corner and hit them with op breakers. it pains me to watch zacks stand still in the middle of the stage, telegraphing a block.

"but they hit me when i dash forward" :qq:

yeah, no poo poo. you don't just mindlessly swipe right, now you have to master the movement and mobility aspect of this game because your opponents are doing so.

OG Billy and OG Zack are Defenders but they too must constantly be pushing because cornering Billy is the best way to open him up

Tommy doesn't shove as much either but he's usually pushing those assholes back as well so as not to get cornered

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
oh for sure, that is the way to go and that's definitely how I still win, I just find the opening few moves difficult to get them in the corner in the first place sometimes.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

this idea can be boiled down into the concept of Respect. you have to make your opponents respect your space, specifically your ability to punish them. if they don't respect you (and the whales start the round with mad disrespect) they will just dash towards you and bully you in the corner. as it is one lucky hit from goldar at the start leads to a 20ish Power chain and you in the corner with half of your health at most. y'all gonna learn at the school of hard knocks when you start running into more goldars. i'm talkin level 3-4 Goldars that will destroy you before you know what's up. the game becomes more psychological as you tier up and no longer make as many mechanical mistakes or just plain whiffs

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Dreylad posted:

oh for sure, that is the way to go and that's definitely how I still win, I just find the opening few moves difficult to get them in the corner in the first place sometimes.

M.Zack seems to drop off because one-two punch is his only real opener. They are still kicking it in League V but the ones that are here tend to be rather good, spacing you to where he needs you to be, baiting you into a trap and then just power punching your lights out. so he's viable but OG Jason seems to tear him apart because he can easily corner Zack and just stuff all of his moves and hit him with op t-rex sword

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Goldar bums me out. He hits as soon as he comes out so unless I've got space between me and them it feels impossible to block in time. Which, when I'm trying to corner stuff them, means I have zero space.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
really want to dig into the koda v og jason matchup

also, phy, have you seen any psycho red mains or lauren shiba mains?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Phyresis posted:

M.Zack seems to drop off because one-two punch is his only real opener. They are still kicking it in League V but the ones that are here tend to be rather good, spacing you to where he needs you to be, baiting you into a trap and then just power punching your lights out. so he's viable but OG Jason seems to tear him apart because he can easily corner Zack and just stuff all of his moves and hit him with op t-rex sword

OK so my instincts were definitely right about the one-two being the best move by far since it's a lot harder to counter. His ability to juggle once you get someone flying is pretty great I gotta say.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

boy are my arms tired posted:

really want to dig into the koda v og jason matchup

this is one of the deepest matchups i have to deal with as Jason but i think he has an advantage

also, phy, have you seen any psycho red mains or lauren shiba mains?

i've fought one Lauren and one Rita and they were just free wins. No Psycho Reds yet he's like the hardest character to unlock or whatever I don't even have a single shard on either version

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Phyresis posted:

this is one of the deepest matchups i have to deal with as Jason but i think he has an advantage

i've fought one Lauren and one Rita and they were just free wins. No Psycho Reds yet he's like the hardest character to unlock or whatever I don't even have a single shard on either version

disappointing because out of all of the leaders lauren and psycho seem the coolest to me but if PR is as hard to get its like why bother

i need to get to season five first tho i guess

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Well I hosed up today. I just opened a Corruption box, getting Movie Kim Leader shards, but not enough to unlock her.

Later I was looking through donations, mindlessly clicking the donate button on every donation request, and donated all the Movie Kim Leader shards I just got, and now she is back to 'Undiscovered' so I can't ask for more to unlock her. :(

At least she isn't wildly popular, I haven't seen people discussing using her on here at least. OG Kim as a leader has been, but not movie Kim.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
im the 1 movie zack assist user

e: also dang no lauren shibas or psycho reds, you'd think there'd be at least one

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

im the 1 movie zack assist user

e: also dang no lauren shibas or psycho reds, you'd think there'd be at least one

i'm the 90th best Power Ranger in the world, now i'm afraid to lose my spot :ohdear:

my Jason/Xandred/Goldar team is represented in this data set

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Phyresis posted:

i'm the 90th best Power Ranger in the world, now i'm afraid to lose my spot :ohdear:

abuse mmpr jason until they decide to nerf him which i hope is soon because gently caress dude

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

i've updated the alliance motd with some real crucial info make sure u check that poo poo out

i rly should keep farming scrub jasons to rank up but the lag is atrocious

Wow for only $29.99 You can see the Pink Rangers Feet Amazing for just two payments of $14.99 You can see her soft feet WOW im already feeling good

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
The description for Rita's assist claims that it is unblockable and debuffs the targets armour.

It's not unblockable, does it actually debuff anything?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Where do I look for answers on why I can't spend all my shards?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Theswarms posted:

The description for Rita's assist claims that it is unblockable and debuffs the targets armour.

It's not unblockable, does it actually debuff anything?

I'm thinking that's probably holdover text from an earlier version. Most breaker assists say they're unblockable which seems redundant when you know that all breakers are unblockable. I bet Rita used to be a breaker assist that also had the debuff properties, but when she was changed to a striker they forgot to update the text to match the changes.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Phyresis posted:

my Jason/Xandred/Goldar team is represented in this data set

I gave in and just switched to that team and lo and behold im in loving league 5. I'm not happy about it. I got zhane but he feels like a shittier mutlihit(more chance for blocking) goldar. blech.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
oof i perfected this og jason as tommy/trina/mzack and then rematched him...

and still won

poor guy

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I finally got the last common character I can get, from two leagues ago, with a four hour box. Sure took him long enough to unlock. Almost have a respectable team. Just one more epic shard and I will have unlocked three Billy's today.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Been playing a bunch of M. Trini and I thought I'd put down some words on her.

First off: holy poo poo don't play M.Trini. OG Jason does more damage, has more health and is a more straightforward character. I'm playing her for shits and giggles only.

On the other hand, she's fun to play and has a interesting footsies/zoning toolkit. For a common, she's not seen as often so people are less familiar with her moves etc. Great for :smug: outplays.

Her moves:
Brawler combo - 4 energy - 4 punch autocombo that ends in a knock up. Damage is ok.

The Brawler combo has 2 things going for it: the knock up and near zero startup. This is your best defensive tool. It can beat out breakers, lots of strikes and if you get the knockup sets up for Ground pound.

K.O kick - 3 Energy - a lunging push kick. Slightly less damage than brawling combo. Hits out 2 spaces and shoves them back 1 space.

Use this as combo filler and as a zoning tool. You can go from a kick to ground pound but they can dash out if they are quick about it. The range catches people off guard, you can fish for an opponent coming in to range.

Ground pound - 2 Energy - She slams her fist into the ground setting off an explosion.
Her most damaging move.

Comes out fast for a breaker, knocks up and only costs 2 energy. The catch? It won't hit an opponent next to you. If they are in your face, it does absolutely nothing. Hits the next 2 spaces. LEARN TO LAND THIS. The rest of her kit revolves around setting this up.

Dashing headbutt - 6 Energy. Runs forward 2 spaces? and headbutts for stun. Moderate damage.

Sets up ground pound off the stun. Useful for opponents who are keeping their distance. Honestly I don'the use this as much.

Gameplan: Knockup into ground pound. Stun into ground pound. Kick into ground pound range. See a pattern? If they get too close, use brawling combo's speed to keep em back; it shuts down breakers and strikes hard. Don't dash into their corner unless you want to lose your most powerful tool. Skittish opponents will back off when they see you charging a breaker. Let them. Stay out of your corner with assist spam and don't automatically faceroll them into theirs. Preserve your spacing!

Assists: M.Zack is nice for the knockup and range. OG Trini is always good for damage and pushback. Xandred is great for an extra block and some breathing room. Will keep experimenting.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 2, 2017

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Xand_Man posted:

Been playing a bunch of M. Trini and I thought I'd put down some words on her.
That sounds familiar. Is she the one who kneels when she hits the ground and the area behind the target explodes? I had one fight with that and it was very funny seeing that attack whiff every time. Pink Ranger, forever.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Yeah, that's the one. Backing someone into the corner then watching the ground explode behind them stops being funny around the 20th time.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Chat seems hosed but GGs whichever one of you was windborn. You gave me shards and go figure it just put us in a match right after. jeez louise.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
We can fight each other in the same guild?

I keep restarting the game because the game is so well made. Posting here is much better.
Does anyone have more than 14 M.Kimberly rare leader shards? I am almost at her next level.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 2, 2017

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Yup. it was super random but we matched. kinda dumb.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't usually beat a Tommy since they are OP bastards at my tier, but drawing twice when I beat them was bullshit. I am trying to hit 1500 medals, but nope.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

polish sausage posted:

Chat seems hosed but GGs whichever one of you was windborn. You gave me shards and go figure it just put us in a match right after. jeez louise.

Hah, that's me! Who won?

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
I'm Filetofish in game. I won, but your koda was fun to fight against. I don't blame you if you don't remember since now i'm one of the myriad scumbag Jason xandred Goldar teams infesting league 5.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Yeah my thoughts are that Jason will be nerfed soon so I need a Koda fall back plan haha.

Deodytus
Feb 13, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

I don't usually beat a Tommy since they are OP bastards at my tier, but drawing twice when I beat them was bullshit. I am trying to hit 1500 medals, but nope.

Tommys are actually pretty easy with M.Kim given that most of them don't know her moves, just try to bait the breakers and remember that all of his strikes can be blocked mid combo, and follow through with safe responses like her breaker or OG Zach assist into any of her specials. When I'm feeling more confident I might do a write up on M.Kim and why I think she's criminally under rated. Doing well enough to sit pretty at around 1900-2K with her at the moment, but I want a better feel for the Jason matchup.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They don't need to know her moves since their sequence of combos can hit up to 500 damage and I am still being juggled against the wall with no way to block, in the opening salvo. I did promote Xandred to get those assholes out of my face, but they hit too hard with a few inputs. That level made a big difference, but if I am to keep up, I need orbs I can use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
The speed at which I'm gaining orbs is abysmal :( pretty much only reliably from corruption boxes and I have yet to be able to upgrade any of my leaders stuff. Xandred got upgraded once though.

• Locked thread