Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nth Doctor posted:

Congratulations on dumping rum out of a barrel!

Thanks!

It's been a nail biter waiting on it to finish - and it tastes pretty amazing, if I do say so myself.

The angel's share on this batch is a real kick in the teeth though - nearly 25%. The past couple days have been me basically trying to figure out why, and it comes down to largely 3 things:

1) Small barrels. We aged this rum in 15 gallon barrels, and the surface area to liquor ratio was really high compared to a 30 gallon or 53 gallon barrel. That means more evaporative loss, though we didn't expect this much more.
2) Humidity. Humidity levels were incredibly low last winter, and I think that was when the bulk of the loss took place.
3) Barrel handling and management. This was one of our earliest batches, and this was before we really had a handle on how to properly hydrate barrels before filling. Now we do a ~48 hour water soak before filling barrels, and then we just started filling them with liquor. I think that it basically meant that about ~2 gallons of spirit was gone immediately, meaning 10 to 15% loss right off the bat.

So now we'll be thinking about all that for future batches. The upside is that this is an incredibly flavorful rum - when you lose angel's share, the alcohol and water evaporate away, but it concentrates the flavor in the remaining spirit. It's incredibly rich - lots of maple and butter-rum flavors from the woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Weltlich posted:

I'm thinking it will be. The full story goes like this:

Groennfell Meadery in Colchester VT is arguably the most successful meadery in the US right now. They started out a few years ago, and they were bottling mead in 12oz bottles, and offering growler fills. Flash forward a couple of years and they invested in a canning line and started canning mead. They exploded. Their canned mead is good, fairly inexpensive, and their marketing is slick and pleasing to the eye.

But, they had this sort of appendix to the early days in nearly 600 gallons of a mead called Mannaz that just wasn't selling. It had been bottled, and it was an early draft of what would become their Valkery's Choice canned mead. Mannaz is just shy of 5% abv, and VC is just a hair over 8. A 4-pack of 12oz Mannaz bottles cost the same as a 4-pak of 16oz VC cans to make, and nobody was buying Mannaz.

Flash forward again. Their mead maker and I strike up a conversation at a tasting event, and I said I've always been curious to distill some proper mead. He says that he'll just GIVE me the rest of Mannaz, and write it off. If it doesn't distill well, then its a loss and we have an interesting footnote to put in the distilling book. If it works well, then he's happy to take a cut of whatever our profits end up being off of the run, and he's willing to start supplying us with either Mannaz, or it's descendant Valkery's Choice to make it a running product. Since he lived in Denmark for a while, he's completely on board with the idea of a mead schnapps. The test distillations yielded a product that was superlative in nearly every respect. It's a little "hot," but most real schnapps is, and if you sip it and don't shoot it like a jerk then the warmth is actually very pleasant.

So, pending the full distillation run downstairs in the shop, I'm confident in saying that this will be a running product for us. It'll probably be small batch, but it's not going to be a one-and-done.

This is a really interesting idea. I'm already a fan of Mead + Whiskey. Please let us know how it goes!

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is a really interesting idea. I'm already a fan of Mead + Whiskey. Please let us know how it goes!

We're def. doing it now. We're working on the label (remind me to bitch about labeling bureaucracy later), but here's an early draft of the artwork we'll be putting on it:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

That looks dope. Get your stuff on that there website you mentioned already :v:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Weltlich posted:

We're def. doing it now. We're working on the label (remind me to bitch about labeling bureaucracy later), but here's an early draft of the artwork we'll be putting on it:

:black101:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Weltlich posted:

If it's anything like the beer label world you'll get rejected for a reason such as "it's misleading, you don't distribute it in a drinking horn" or "this implies that eels were used in the production, did you use eels?"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

If it's anything like the beer label world you'll get rejected for a reason such as "it's misleading, you don't distribute it in a drinking horn" or "this implies that eels were used in the production, did you use eels?"

The label clearly indicates that it's for eels.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Slimy Hog posted:

The Lone Badger posted:

The label clearly indicates that it's for eels.

Ha!

As this will only be distributed in VT, we can get away with cooler art on the label. There are few things that will make me froth at the mouth and pass out like trying to rationalize labeling laws.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Have you entered your rums into any spirits competitions, or would you be interested in doing so? There's one coming up next year in Tokyo, and there's a category for rums. Since it's the first time the competition is happening, maybe there aren't as many competitors.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

zmcnulty posted:

Have you entered your rums into any spirits competitions, or would you be interested in doing so? There's one coming up next year in Tokyo, and there's a category for rums. Since it's the first time the competition is happening, maybe there aren't as many competitors.

Tell me more!

The rums are literally brand new, and just moving out to the market now, but we actually have entered the gin in several competitions and it's done very well:

New York 2018 - Bronze (90 points)* and Vermont Gin Distillery of the Year
Berlin - Silver
Denver - Silver

*I'm proud of the bonze medal, but more proud of the 90 points. NYISC is a very competitive field, and most gins don't score above the high-80's in terms of points.

Get me the info on the Tokyo competition!

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

The page is here:
http://tokyowhiskyspiritscompetition.jp

There's an English outline available as well here:
http://tokyowhiskyspiritscompetition.jp/2019/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/outline_ENGLISH.pdf

The category list is here, the Google translation seems good enough (#80 should be "rum" instead of "lamb" though :keke:):
http://tokyowhiskyspiritscompetition.jp/category/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

zmcnulty posted:

The page is here:
http://tokyowhiskyspiritscompetition.jp

There's an English outline available as well here:
http://tokyowhiskyspiritscompetition.jp/2019/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/outline_ENGLISH.pdf

The category list is here, the Google translation seems good enough (#80 should be "rum" instead of "lamb" though :keke:):
http://tokyowhiskyspiritscompetition.jp/category/

Thanks! I'll get on this.

• Locked thread