Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
In any rational world being on tape with a convicted crooked politician hinting about taking bribes should be a bad thing but gently caress it this is Illinois that poo poo doesn't even register anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
On the other hand, I'd vote for a corrupt potted plant over Rauner.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It's really just a guilty by association thing, I mean listen to the scary music! I doubt it swings much anyway, but it does show that Rauner is scared of running against Pritzker, probably because he's one of the few candidates that can outspend himself.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't actually think Rauner could win a retention vote

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

He was at a 30% approval rating in November, so that's a pretty accurate statement. Democrats would have to do something monumentally stupid to lose this election, but where there's a will, there's a way.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Really proud of the people of Chicago for exceeding last years crowd size at the women's march today. I know that political engagement means more than marching once a year, but dang I'm still really proud of our city.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Primary election is coming up (March 20) and there are some changes this year, mostly involving same-day registration and no-excuses early voting (starting Feb 8th til March 19) and 'grace period' registration and early voting (Feb. 21-Mar 20). Basically you can register at any time but you have to vote immediately after you register if you choose to do either grace period or same day registration. That means no registering then going to check out the candidates websites then voting you have to do it all at once.

It is strongly encouraged that you print out your local sample ballot and research the candidates for public office. Yes including the local judges up for retention and the county executive and county board and dogcatcher and whatever. Everybody's got to start somewhere and if you weed out the assholes before they molt you end up with a lot less Ted Cruzes. You can find a sample ballot at your local county clerk's website (or check ballotpedia for info on races etc).

There is a candidate debate for the governor's race coming up TOMORROW Tues Jan 23 from 6-7 if you're interested in getting a head start. Check your local public tv and/or radio stations for coverage.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 23, 2018

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Oracle posted:

Primary election is coming up (March 20) and there are some changes this year, mostly involving same-day registration and no-excuses early voting (starting Feb 8th til March 19) and 'grace period' registration and early voting (Feb. 21-Mar 20). Basically you can register at any time but you have to vote immediately after you register if you choose to do either grace period or same day registration. That means no registering then going to check out the candidates websites then voting you have to do it all at once.

It is strongly encouraged that you print out your local sample ballot and research the candidates for public office. Yes including the local judges up for retention and the county executive and county board and dogcatcher and whatever. Everybody's got to start somewhere and if you weed out the assholes before they molt you end up with a lot less Ted Cruzes. You can find a sample ballot at your local county clerk's website (or check ballotpedia for info on races etc).

There is a candidate debate for the governor's race coming up TOMORROW Tues Jan 23 from 6-7 if you're interested in getting a head start. Check your local public tv and/or radio stations for coverage.

You're a good poster.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I haven't really decided who I'm voting for yet outside of whoever has the best shot to unseat Berrios.

With Governor, I'm leaning toward Pritzker despite hating voting for a billionaire. I like his policies and he looks like a lock to beat Rauner. Kennedy is too sketchy from what I've seen. And while Biss has his heart in the right place, he's remarkably stupid on economic stuff which is pretty important for this state.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I'm glad Carol Marin is hosting the roundtable; her first two questions were good ones, and she's cutting off the blah-blah-blah.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Carol Marin went to my high school. That’s all I got.

Niwrad posted:

I haven't really decided who I'm voting for yet outside of whoever has the best shot to unseat Berrios.

With Governor, I'm leaning toward Pritzker despite hating voting for a billionaire. I like his policies and he looks like a lock to beat Rauner. Kennedy is too sketchy from what I've seen. And while Biss has his heart in the right place, he's remarkably stupid on economic stuff which is pretty important for this state.

Who is the most likely to unseat Berrios? If he makes it to the general, I’m probably voting for the republican. I can’t stand Berrios.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

Who is the most likely to unseat Berrios? If he makes it to the general, I’m probably voting for the republican. I can’t stand Berrios.

This is the only person I see that looks competitive.

http://fritzforassessor.com/

I asked about Raila running but someone mentioned she's just there to split the opposition vote up. She was my attorney and never won me poo poo.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Niwrad posted:

Stupid how? I don't know enough about home to have a firm opinion.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

My biggest concern about Biss is that he has no backbone, he caved on Ramirez-Rosa very quickly. The election with Rauner is probably going to be vicious because Rauner will just spend endless amounts of money. Can Biss fight Rauner the whole way through? It's really the Democrats election to lose though, so any D might win without trying too much. Rauner is at like 30% approval, and this could be a wave election for Democrats. I'm still up in the air on who to vote for, but even with my concerns, I'm probably still going with Biss.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Biss has been doing pretty good with fundraising so I wouldn't be too scared there. And I'd trust him a hell of a lot more as gov than any of the billionaires.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

I'll be voting for Biss in the primaries (RIP Ameya's campaign :() but I don't think he has a shot in hell of winning the democratic nomination. The amount of money JB is already spending is astounding.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Without having seen the debate, I feel like Pritzker's selling pretty much what Biss is (progressive income tax, medicare for all, that kinda thing) but have absolutely zero reason to believe that Pritzker would actually follow through with it. Not like Biss is a radical leftist either, considering he was one of the main cosponsors of the failed pension laws.

Also I don't see how Biss ever climbs out of the hole he dug with the BDS/Rosa issue. Getting the endorsement of the nursing union is pretty big but not enough.

As to Chris Kennedy - who wants a middle of the road, more of the same idiot? Illinois is in need of desperate change, and I think voters on both sides would agree on that, just not the method how.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I think Kennedy is targeting the African American community. He talks about gun violence a lot, and that is obviously a pretty big issue. Possibly a smart move, try to get most of the AA vote, and hope that Pritzker and Biss split the white vote. I can't tell if anyone is specifically courting the Latinx vote though.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I think Kennedy is targeting the African American community. He talks about gun violence a lot, and that is obviously a pretty big issue. Possibly a smart move, try to get most of the AA vote, and hope that Pritzker and Biss split the white vote. I can't tell if anyone is specifically courting the Latinx vote though.

He talks about gun violence a lot because HIS DAD AND UNCLE WERE ASSASSINATED. His running mate's son was also shot and killed. C'mon people.

Which reminds me I don't think anyone posted this tone-deaf exchange that led to him leaving the stage at a debate.

quote:

Gubernatorial candidate Chris Kennedy left the stage during a forum on Monday after Republican State Rep. Jeanne Ives argued the solution to gun violence in Illinois was having “more fathers in the home.”

Kennedy, a Democrat, replied by pointing out he had grown up without a father before standing up and walking out of the venue.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Oracle posted:

He talks about gun violence a lot because HIS DAD AND UNCLE WERE ASSASSINATED. His running mate's son was also shot and killed. C'mon people.

Which reminds me I don't think anyone posted this tone-deaf exchange that led to him leaving the stage at a debate.

Jesus

that reminds me of that exchange between Tammy Duckworth and Mark Kirk, where Kirk attacked Tammy for lying about her families military history by saying "oh really, your family has a long military history while they were over in Thailand"

Not stopping and thinking that she's Mixed, and her father's family has been nothing but military men and women, and that he had literally been caught multiple times lying about his own military history.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oh yeah just to be thorough, here's the whole debate schedule for the Dems:

quote:

While the schedules differ slightly, both Kennedy, a businessman and son of Robert F. Kennedy, and Pritzker, a billionaire philanthropist and entrepreneur, plan to participate in the following six debates and forums:

Jan. 23: NBC Chicago/Telemundo
    Jan. 30: Daily Herald and Southern Illinois University Carbondale
    Feb. 21: State Journal Register/WMAY-AM
    March 1: Politico/University of Chicago Institute of Politics
    March 2: ABC 7 Chicago
    March 14: WTTW

Kennedy also plans to participate in a March 5 televised debate on WCIA-TV, which covers Springfield, Decatur and Champaign.

State Sen. Daniel Biss’ campaign said he is ready to participate in those debates as well.

“Daniel Biss is looking forward to participating in any debate, anywhere at anytime,” Biss spokesman Tom Elliott said.

Madison County Schools Supt. Bob Daiber, Bob Marshall and Tio Hardiman round out the list of Democratic candidates in the hotly contested March 20 primary. Gov. Bruce Rauner on Monday picked up an official Republican challenger in State Rep. Jeanne Ives, R-Wheaton.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
All I want is for Kennedy to win Madigan's district, which covers Beverly and Evergreen Park.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dexo posted:

Jesus

that reminds me of that exchange between Tammy Duckworth and Mark Kirk, where Kirk attacked Tammy for lying about her families military history by saying "oh really, your family has a long military history while they were over in Thailand"

Not stopping and thinking that she's Mixed, and her father's family has been nothing but military men and women, and that he had literally been caught multiple times lying about his own military history.

to be fair to Kirk, at that point he had already suffered actual brain damage and probably wasn't thinking too clearly

and speaking of Republicans, I know a few who are voting for Ives because they're so upset about Rauner passing some abortion funding bill and it's like holy poo poo guys, nothing else about him bothered you? Nothing?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Oracle posted:

Yes, I'm aware of what happened. I'm just saying that gun violence has appeared to be his main talking point. He had ads that were strictly about ending gun violence. I think it's a smart move for him because of how much it affected him.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I am desperate to not vote for a billionaire for anything ever so it's going to be Biss for me.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CascadeBeta posted:

On the other hand, I'd vote for a corrupt potted plant over Rauner.

As dipshit Republicany as Rauner is, he's at least been a cork at times. He probably saved the state from bankruptcy a few days by prolonging the budget debate. They ended it by taking out a loan to pay off interest, so the result was the same, but he drug it out to the skinniest of deadlines and made a big show of opposing the Democrats. It didn't help the state of Illinois better its financial position any, but it may have given a little tax relief to anyone in the state who may be stuck there living paycheck to paycheck. So in that situation I think gridlock probably paid off. If either party had total control, they would've long since passed a lavish budget that showered money on the people close to them. Getting poo poo like that through congress and signed off would be no problem because they wouldn't have to frame things through the spectrum of national Democrat/Republican politics. That is kind of a scary idea given, like, Illinois.

Putting a Democratic governor in right now might spoil our chances at a 3-peat. We could have 3 straight governors where not one of them goes to prison. Hasn't happened since the '50s. Quinn, they checked him out or whatever but I think if they were gonna put out a warrant they would've done it already. So it was a close one but I think we're safe with Quinn. Rauner, I'm gonna give a hesitant I don't think he'll go to prison. He could, he absolutely could, don't get me wrong. I just haven't heard any rumblings yet and they've had a little while to manifest. We'll see, time will tell. But if he comes out with no warrants, then it's gonna be really important for this third governor to not end up in a cell so that we don't break the streak. And if we end up with another Blago situation, we might as well reset the clock now. It's all really sketchy ground. It's like whatever door you open, the governor probably goes to prison, you know? Good lord.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm still laughing over the guy that wants to split Illinois into three states.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Volkerball posted:

As dipshit Republicany as Rauner is, he's at least been a cork at times. He probably saved the state from bankruptcy a few days by prolonging the budget debate. They ended it by taking out a loan to pay off interest, so the result was the same, but he drug it out to the skinniest of deadlines and made a big show of opposing the Democrats. It didn't help the state of Illinois better its financial position any, but it may have given a little tax relief to anyone in the state who may be stuck there living paycheck to paycheck. So in that situation I think gridlock probably paid off. If either party had total control, they would've long since passed a lavish budget that showered money on the people close to them. Getting poo poo like that through congress and signed off would be no problem because they wouldn't have to frame things through the spectrum of national Democrat/Republican politics. That is kind of a scary idea given, like, Illinois.

Putting a Democratic governor in right now might spoil our chances at a 3-peat. We could have 3 straight governors where not one of them goes to prison. Hasn't happened since the '50s. Quinn, they checked him out or whatever but I think if they were gonna put out a warrant they would've done it already. So it was a close one but I think we're safe with Quinn. Rauner, I'm gonna give a hesitant I don't think he'll go to prison. He could, he absolutely could, don't get me wrong. I just haven't heard any rumblings yet and they've had a little while to manifest. We'll see, time will tell. But if he comes out with no warrants, then it's gonna be really important for this third governor to not end up in a cell so that we don't break the streak. And if we end up with another Blago situation, we might as well reset the clock now. It's all really sketchy ground. It's like whatever door you open, the governor probably goes to prison, you know? Good lord.

blago+dem control of house/senate didn't lavish money on everyone. Blago reneged on so many promises that the legislature didn't trust him at all and made him write him promises down for them to hold onto and wave in his face later on. I don't think you need to vote republican blindly and if you do, vote Ives at least. Rauner loving sucks

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 24, 2018

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lmao

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Volkerball posted:

As dipshit Republicany as Rauner is, he's at least been a cork at times. He probably saved the state from bankruptcy a few days by prolonging the budget debate.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/opinion/1-billion-lost-illinois-penalty-fees-debt-transparency-report-editorial/

quote:

Our state incurred more than $1 billion in interest penalties because it didn’t pay its bills on time, according to the first Debt Transparency Report from Comptroller Susana A. Mendoza.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Volkerball posted:

Rauner has probably hurt the Illinois economy more than any Democrat has for the last 20 years. On the other point, what makes you so sure that the next Democrat to be governor is getting arrested for corruption? Republicans get thrown in jail too, or are we forgetting Dennis Hastert all of a sudden.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

oh we are actually responding to Volkerposts now?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nah that's not fair, everyone knows that when talking politics you don't have to take into account the misdeeds of the party you prefer, all that matters is the indiscretions of the party you dislike.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Drop in the bucket compared to $240b that's been racked up in pension debt from previous solutions. If it was a billion dollars that helped prevent (for a time) a tax raise for the victims of this mess, it was a billion dollars well spent.

And I can't believe we've sunk so low that "will hesitantly say he's not going to go to prison" is now like the height of praise that would only be said by someone offering blind, unconditional support.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Rauner has probably hurt the Illinois economy more than any Democrat has for the last 20 years. On the other point, what makes you so sure that the next Democrat to be governor is getting arrested for corruption? Republicans get thrown in jail too, or are we forgetting Dennis Hastert all of a sudden.

I mean, George Ryan if we want to go Republican Governors of Illinois who went to prison for corruption...

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

D'oh, I don't know how that one got by me.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Most of the bad decisions that led to this state being a joke were made 20-30 years ago. Outside of Madigan and a couple other people, the current politicians have had little to do with the problem outside of not fixing it for the future.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Stupid how? I don't know enough about home to have a firm opinion.

He pushed for that LaSalle Street Tax which showed how little he knew about economics.

Also wasn't a fan of bringing on Ramirez-Rosa as a running mate. Rosa doesn't understand how to run his ward let alone a state.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Volkerball posted:

Drop in the bucket compared to $240b that's been racked up in pension debt from previous solutions. If it was a billion dollars that helped prevent (for a time) a tax raise for the victims of this mess, it was a billion dollars well spent.

if you want to count the total debt, it went up by 17b in rauner's first year and probably more each of the later years

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Man_of_Teflon posted:

if you want to count the total debt, it went up by 17b in rauner's first year and probably more each of the later years

And wasn't the 240B number cooked up from presuming that everything would stay exactly as-is over the next 20 years? I seem to recall something along those lines and the reality was more like 10B fully funded.

Edit, yeah a lot of the 240B number is from late payment charges.

quote:

In fiscal 2016 alone, the state obligation to TRS and the other four employee pension funds it maintained was $6.8 billion, an amount so large it consumed more than 26 percent of the day-to-day operations budget of Illinois government, according to Ralph Martire, executive director of the Center for Tax and Budget Accountability.

But Martire said only $1.6 billion of that amount, less than 24 percent, was needed to cover the so called normal cost of pensions, benefits actually earned by employees in 2016. The other $5.2 billion amounted to late payment charges.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Oracle posted:

And wasn't the 240B number cooked up from presuming that everything would stay exactly as-is over the next 20 years? I seem to recall something along those lines and the reality was more like 10B fully funded.

CNN's figure was 251. No corrections.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/06/investing/illinois-budget-deal-house-override/index.html