Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

chiasaur11 posted:

'99. Dead on, otherwise.

And the right date was staring me right in the face when I was writing the post, too. Thanks for the correction!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Anaxite posted:

And the right date was staring me right in the face when I was writing the post, too. Thanks for the correction!

No problem. Only reason I even noticed was remembering seeing ads for it. Wasn't really following much running game ads in '91.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I am enjoying this LP but I just want to say that your Wonderful 101 LP is something my kids routinely ask for and still love immensely. I have a playlist set up and they'll put it on as like Saturday morning cartoons sometimes. My son just asked for it out of the blue today, even!

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
I'm convinced that if The Wonderful 101 was conceived earlier it'd be a 4Kids dubbed anime on Fox Kids.

Episode 11: Rufus

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Well viewtiful joe was on fox kids so yeah probs

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

I enjoyed Grant's takedown of whales. Those briny bastards think they're so special.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
When I think of this game, the sound effect that rings in my head is "Look out, Miss Jade! Looters!" because I had to do that last race over and over and over before I finally beat it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Megaptera Borealis?

At this time of day,

At this point in the game,

At this area of Hillys,

Localized entirely in your backyard?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Megaptera Borealis?

At this time of day,

At this point in the game,

At this area of Hillys,

Localized entirely in your backyard?

.....yes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

May I get a picture of it?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

May I get a picture of it?

...yes.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

The floating menu screens :psyduck:

There are so many places they could have put those where they wouldn't be visible, including the inside of literally any building model or anywhere underwater, and they decided to put them somewhere they can be plainly seen on the way to one of the mandatory dungeons. I'm genuinely amazed.

SS-Kumei
Sep 1, 2012
During that segment of "Look at the floating menu screens!" it took me until they were driving away that the weird noise you hear in the background was a part of the music, not Ironicus semi-silently hyperventilating with laughter.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

LAY-ZX posted:

There are so many places they could have put those where they wouldn't be visible, including the inside of literally any building model or anywhere underwater, and they decided to put them somewhere they can be plainly seen on the way to one of the mandatory dungeons. I'm genuinely amazed.

It wouldn't surprise me if they're out there for consistent lighting

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
What I'm finding baffling is why even put them out there, because that'd require the game to load the entire overworld map each time the player enters the menu.

And since I don't think there's any big loading pauses whenever chip enters the menu, I'd think it's more likely they were left over during development or something.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Half-Life 2 does the same thing, but it's a lot less obvious. All the scenes you see on screens are actually partially constructed rooms hidden elsewhere in the level, so a screen is actually showing a virtual camera view from another room. These rooms are hidden behind scenery and far away from the player so even the sound won't leak over from them.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if they're out there for consistent lighting

But isn't there a day/night cycle?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

LAY-ZX posted:

I wonder if they just decided to put it somewhere people might see as a goof, or an homage to when menus had to physically exist in games.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

LAY-ZX posted:

But isn't there a day/night cycle?

The mystery deepens, and nothing makes sense... :gonk:

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

I've always wanted to try to get out of bounds and jump the hovercraft in front of those menus and see if it pops up in the pause screen, but unfortunately the screens float too high above the ocean.

Also, let's find out which Dragonball Z character Jade's voice actress played! There's no cut commentary for this episode, by the way.

Episode 12: Big Green

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT
I remember way back when you streamed Indigo Prophecy you guys mentioned the fact that Jade's voice actress also played that old lady Agatha. Plus, Pey'j's voice actor was Lucas in that game, too.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Code Lyoko owns

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Steve McQueen never records an episode of Steve McQueen's Zine Scene without wearing his denim pants. I think he mentioned that somewhere between episode 12 and episode 20.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

The secret twist of Beyond Good and Evil 2 is that Carlson Peters is actually just a single person, and he put the & in there to give his book more credibility.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Ziv Zulander posted:

The secret twist of Beyond Good and Evil 2 is that Carlson Peters is actually just a single person, and he put the & in there to give his book more credibility.

Also his actual name is Peter Carlson.
For that extra spin so people would have to think thrice to figure it out.

Fuzz1138
Feb 3, 2013

We don't have to dream that we're important. We are.
It's almost endearing how enthusiastic Double H is about Carlson & Peters.
He's like a little kid, bringing it up whenever he possibly can, but you know in a week or two he'll have found a new book and some new heroes to run around imitating. :allears:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also his actual name is Peter Carlson.
For that extra spin so people would have to think thrice to figure it out.

It's actually Carl Peterson.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Am I the only one who has no idea what Double H is on about when he talks about Carlson and Peters. What the hell is it?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Zeniel posted:

Am I the only one who has no idea what Double H is on about when he talks about Carlson and Peters. What the hell is it?

Required reading.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zeniel posted:

It's a military training manual that he's obsessed with memorizing and following to the letter.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's kind of neat in that it implies a lot about his backstory. He's clearly former military in some fashion who quit/was discharged/was replaced by the Alpha Sections or something before/after he sniffed a rat and joined up with IRIS. It's kind of neat how he isn't really interested in explaining his past, he's just here to help others. BG&E is really great with that. Everyone really feels like they have a history, even if you don't find it out.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's Peeters.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Alright but at what point were we supposed to know that?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Dabir posted:

Well you can't actually read it, but the book is in Double H's inventory.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Dabir posted:

It's not 100% relevant, so the game doesn't feel the need to explain it in detail; it's just something you can infer from what he says about it. Not everything in a story needs to be explicitly laid out, and BG&E isn't the type of game to have ten thousand codex entries on the minutiae of the world outside the Jade-vs-the-DomZ story.

Interestingly, the Carlson & Peeters thing also gives us more intriguing questions about Jade's past, since she knows quite a lot about this mysterious military book as well. Once again, they don't elaborate on it, but they don't really need to.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Dabir posted:

Did you miss the part where Chip pointed it out in his inventory?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I caught the part where he pointed out that nobody would ever check that, yes.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I choose to believe that Carlson and Peeters are the author/illustrator pair for Hillys' version of Go Dog Go

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

gently caress if I’ve ever read the constitution. If this is a virtual reality and someone is watching the Netflix of my life, they’ll never know why I keep constantly referencing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Episode 13: Podcasts

• Locked thread