Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Food Boner posted:

seems a lot of teachers are leftist so its basically arming and training the proletariat

Well duh, you need to be somewhat intelligent and educated to be a teacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBw0fm1uZcg

https://twitter.com/SonmiChina/status/911422249688735744

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNf4-d6fDoY

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012

Looks like a videogame hack but in real life

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
VAN

THIS IS A VAN

HOW ELSE WOULD YOU KNOW WITHOUT THIS HUD

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

oh my god they proactively went out of their way to make things look more like Demolition Man

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Willie Tomg posted:

oh my god they proactively went out of their way to make things look more like Demolition Man

ah gently caress the thread title is true

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Willie Tomg posted:

THEN WHERES MY VR SEX HELEMT

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Remember: it's shittiest possible.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

dude they're hitting the market right now

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

Look up social credit next

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

is this a derivative i can short?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/27/17054740/palantir-predictive-policing-tool-new-orleans-nopd

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

This is off-brand for this thread but idgaf it's awesome

10 year old builds her own arm cannon prosthetic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t7kFRQ5S-4

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhIaEEW63Sc

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/RachelFeintzeig/status/969606589811515392

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Jesus loving Christ

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

sounds about right if you want to be considered the most loyal and therefore kept if layoffs come

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

lol if you think they give a gently caress about loyalty beyond you being too scared to start poo poo

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im glad capitalism destroyed the bonds of serfdom only to make people gladly become tech serfs

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Wheeee posted:

lol if you think they give a gently caress about loyalty beyond you being too scared to start poo poo

yeah but if they know everyone is scared into submission then the tiebreaker is who sucks their dick the most

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

those chumps over at competing firm don’t even swallow

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

#TheCorporateBrand

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
you can just have it changed into Carmen SanDiego later no biggie.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/GingerGibson/status/969773965676810240?s=19

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/verge/status/969004801357881344

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Boy I can't wait till its not only legal but normal for my employer to stick a house arrest anklet on me that sends an alert to HR if I take an 11 minute paid break, starting from the microsecond i leave my desk

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

lol that'll never happen

it'll be an implant

and employers won't pay for the implants, you'll have to buy them on the market and get them implanted yourself to be considered eligible for employment, and you better do your research to make sure you're getting a good one with broad compatibility for major employee monitoring systems

also both the hardware and software are licensed to you, you don't own them and cannot modify them, and they're all proprietary

Wheeee has issued a correction as of 19:31 on Mar 6, 2018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Larry Parrish posted:

Boy I can't wait till its not only legal but normal for my employer to stick a house arrest anklet on me that sends an alert to HR if I take an 11 minute paid break, starting from the microsecond i leave my desk

The daily telegraph installed motion sensors on everyones desk to make sure they spent enough time there and only got rid of them after it went public

alsothere
Oct 14, 2014
Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/WarrenIsDead/status/973605756175085569?s=19

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

quote:

There’s no expectation here that the preserved tissue can be actually brought back to life, as is the hope with Alcor-style cryonics. Instead, the idea is to retrieve information that’s present in the brain’s anatomical layout and molecular details.

[...]

“But it may be possible in 100 years,” says Hayworth.

[...]

It has raised $1 million in funding so far, including the $120,000 that Y Combinator provides to all the companies it accepts. It has also won a $960,000 federal grant from the U.S. National Institute of Mental Health for “whole-brain nanoscale preservation and imaging,” the text of which foresees a “commercial opportunity in offering brain preservation” for purposes including drug research.

:psyduck:

quote:

“There is a lot of philosophical debate, but to me a simulation is close enough that it’s worth something,” McIntyre told me. “And there is a much larger humanitarian aspect to the whole thing. Right now, when a generation of people die, we lose all their collective wisdom. You can transmit knowledge to the next generation, but it’s harder to transmit wisdom, which is learned. Your children have to learn from the same mistakes.”

Please let rich old people loving die

hackbunny has issued a correction as of 18:42 on Mar 13, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Haven't you read the cryo issue of Transmetropolitan? Rich people being revived and going homeless from future shock is extremely good.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Haven't you read the cryo issue of Transmetropolitan? Rich people being revived and going homeless from future shock is extremely good.

If we truly want to drat the rich to hell, this our best hope.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Uh I have actually. But these guys' business sounds more like the captain in Dark Star, dead but you can still go have a chat with him from time to time

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Greetings, Silicon Valley shitlords! I have developed a high tech rock of eternal life!

How does it work? Well you see, when you are about to die, just rub this rough, volcanic rock all over your body. Small amounts of DNA contained in your cells will rub off and be trapped in this rock. We'll then put the rock in a very secure rock pit deep storage vault. At some unspecified point in the future, SCIENCE will figure out how to use the data encoded in your genetics to ressurect you to full life, one that will certainly be full of leisure and pleasure, because of all the SCIENCE they will have then.

Sure, it might be a long time before the science of that will happen. But you can't prove this won't ever *not* work. And when it eventually does? Jackpot for you! At only $100,000 per immortality rock, can you really afford not to? After all, if you don't buy the rock, your money is useless when you die anyway!

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

hackbunny posted:

Uh I have actually. But these guys' business sounds more like the captain in Dark Star, dead but you can still go have a chat with him from time to time

Which reminds me of an idea I once had: taking everything I've ever written, and using it to train an AI bot. Then, I could interrogate the bot as if I was talking with my subconscious. It could work (in the measure of actually surprising me), considering that my memory seems to be getting worse by the year and that I barely remember what I felt or wrote even a week ago, and knowing that it would be about as useful as divination. Even if it proves pointless (AI results tend to be simultaneously completely novel and utterly boring), it wouldn't take a lot of effort to give it a try

hackbunny has issued a correction as of 21:59 on Mar 13, 2018

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

its not so much that your memory is getting worse, or that most peoples' are as bad as they think, as it is that the strictly regimented nature of modern life with a full time job turns each day into a meaningless repetition of motions we've gone through countless times before, and so our brains treat our days with the appropriate lack of gravitas and turn our lives into a blur

I can't tell you beyond broad descriptions what i did at work yesterday or had for dinner last Wednesday, but i remember the details of personal conversations held with coworkers and friends going back months

our brains aren't broken, the suffering and unhealthy mental habits we endure are reactions to the realities of our lives within an insane world

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Wheeee posted:

its not so much that your memory is getting worse, or that most peoples' are as bad as they think, as it is that the strictly regimented nature of modern life with a full time job turns each day into a meaningless repetition of motions we've gone through countless times before, and so our brains treat our days with the appropriate lack of gravitas and turn our lives into a blur

I can't tell you beyond broad descriptions what i did at work yesterday or had for dinner last Wednesday, but i remember the details of personal conversations held with coworkers and friends going back months

our brains aren't broken, the suffering and unhealthy mental habits we endure are reactions to the realities of our lives within an insane world

No, I'm pretty sure mine got worse. I used to remember things in excruciating detail, to the point it was actually detrimental. Then my life changed in many ways, unequivocally for the better, but I seem to have lost my crazy good memory in the bargain

I don't think a "bad" memory makes me broken. My experience has been quite the opposite. In fact, "forgetting" or even "not knowing" outright seem to be turning into luxuries, and I'm greatly enjoying being able to afford them

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This guy doesn't gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

hackbunny posted:

these guys business consists entirely of scamming gullible rich into letting them put their brains into useless pickle jars