Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Doctor Reynolds posted:

That was some smooooooth television. Do you think Gus will thank Nacho, or make him some sort of scapegoat?

One, then the other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Data Graham posted:

It would be pretty crazy for BCS to outlast BB anyway.

I disagree just because they could absolutely do a whole season of just Gene becoming Jimmy again at the end. I could see this season leading into him becoming Saul, next season being him flourishing in that role, and season six being Gene's redemption.

They haven't ruled out doing BB-era stuff so that could be another season but I think that could just be wrapped up as an episode or so, with some time jumps. BB does cover 2 years, it's not ridiculous to see what's actually happening in Jimmy's life at that time. Saul is clearly a character.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Nail Rat posted:

I disagree just because they could absolutely do a whole season of just Gene becoming Jimmy again at the end. I could see this season leading into him becoming Saul, next season being him flourishing in that role, and season six being Gene's redemption.

They haven't ruled out doing BB-era stuff so that could be another season but I think that could just be wrapped up as an episode or so, with some time jumps. BB does cover 2 years, it's not ridiculous to see what's actually happening in Jimmy's life at that time. Saul is clearly a character.

odenkirk has basically confirmed that BB-era stuff is coming in interviews, it's just a matter of when

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Dr. Despair posted:

odenkirk has basically confirmed that BB-era stuff is coming in interviews, it's just a matter of when

Yeah so there's easily 7 seasons if they want.

Season 4: ends with Jimmy becoming Saul (needs to cover a year)
Season 5: Saul solidifies his practice. Ends with Walt walking in the door. If this happens you can bank on the season 6 renewal too.
Season 6: The events of breaking bad from Jimmy's perspective, and what's going on with Kim etc. Ends with Jimmy having to leave abruptly.
Season 7: The redemption of Gene somehow (be the ending happy or not)

They could stretch out for more but I feel like this would be a nice outline thematically and wouldn't overstay the welcome.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 8, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

That was some smooooooth television. Do you think Gus will thank Nacho, or make him some sort of scapegoat?

Seems just like good knowledge to file away and use if he ever has a need to put Nacho under his thumb. It's a risk even using it to threaten Nacho since doing that and not just turning him in to the cartel is an indication of how deep Gus' hatred for Hector goes.

I also think people overestimate how long they'd want to spend with Gene, I view it more as a few episode arc at most, similar to BB after Ozymandias. Also by the time you get to Gene you have none of the Mike/Cartel stuff, all the other characters are out of the picture unless they come back, so to me it's not something I personally want to spend anything close to a season ruminating on, and you can do a really good 2 episode tight and thrilling resolution to the character's overall story.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cojawfee posted:

They are both very good, I don't know what you're getting at.

That dude is insanely stupid

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Jimmy is going to get Howard arrested for killing Chuck, I just feel it. Not in the way that he drove him to kill himself, actually murdering Chuck because of the $3 million check he could not really afford.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I didn't get the wall of gently caress Chuck posts at his funeral, you disappointed me thread.

Even as full-blown Saul we only ever saw him do evil poo poo when it benefited him, most often financially, so I can't really wrap my head around how stringing up Hamlin helps Jimmy, unless it's some kind of misdirected anger play or it'd somehow help Kim in a major way.

It's a drat shame Jimmy couldn't figure out how to live as a good lawyer and person. The retirement home settlement down the line, the sweet Davis and Main job, after being in a real poo poo situation when the show started he really had every chance to do good. Hell he even got screwed the other way by being too good to take the massive pile of money Mike was able to steal in typical smooth Mike fashion, and that was with the insane criminal luck of getting to know a guy willing to commit crimes but with a code of honor to not just walk off with an insane payday once he's got it.

Also I'll call it now, Chuck's will donates all his assets to HHM, and Hamlin's going to try to offer some of that to Jimmy and it's going to just be ugly and awkward as hell. My second choice would be that he willed it all to some legal defense fund or legal clinic, or just straight to the classic ACLU, but I think they want to tie it all back to the firm and it's a neat out for Hamlin to not owe the money. He probably updated the will just a few days before he died too, we just didn't see him do it, and I'd be totally down for a flashback to Chuck meeting with an attorney to change the will and see him altering it so Jimmy gets one last insult hurled his way where previously he was getting a large portion of Chuck's assets, including his house.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Aug 8, 2018

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018

CeeJee posted:

Jimmy is going to get Howard arrested for killing Chuck, I just feel it. Not in the way that he drove him to kill himself, actually murdering Chuck because of the $3 million check he could not really afford.

Jimmy will probably have a meltdown pretty drat soon. At the end of the premiere he seemed to me as trying to shut everything out to avoid having to deal with the fact that he has some responsibility for Chuck's suicide. This will probably not last long.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

NowonSA posted:

Even as full-blown Saul we only ever saw him do evil poo poo when it benefited him, most often financially, so I can't really wrap my head around how stringing up Hamlin helps Jimmy, unless it's some kind of misdirected anger play or it'd somehow help Kim in a major way.

Jimmy felt that what he did made Chuck kill himself. Now he can tell himself that Howard is the one who forced Chuck out, so it's now his fault.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I'm so bored of everything related to Gus. He was a better character in Breaking Bad.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I'm so bored of everything related to Gus. He was a better character in Breaking Bad.

Same. It’s kinda boring.

I guess they could go into his Pinochet regime connections they hinted at in Breaking Bad but that just may take some of the mystery away about the character.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

That dude is insanely stupid

that may be but that's definitely not the post to make your case with.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I get the sense that the problem is that Gus's backstory isn't really relevant to anything for two reasons - we already know pretty much everything we need to know about it from BB (the flashback to when his business partner was shot by Hector) and it doesn't involve Jimmy, or even anyone else relevant in BCS.

We know Mike was Saul's PI, and was involved with Gus too, so there's plenty of tracks for the show to go down with him. Plus Mike was pretty taciturn in BB so it's been refreshing to see him more fleshed out (his turn in "Five-O" was amazing).

if I had one criticism of the show it would be that I find it a bit hard to believe that Mike was this involved with Lydia pre-BB. You never got a sense that they knew eachother at all in BB (she calls him "your partner" here, for example). It's not quite fan service, but it feels like its riding the line a bit with it. Equally if Jesse or Walt pop up in the show I really hope it is completely incidental and fleeting, rather than it feeling like there's six degrees of separation between everyone we've seen in both shows. I have confidence in Vince Gilligan that it won't get that bad though.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 8, 2018

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

OctaviusBeaver posted:

This is because in Breaking Bad he was a terrifying enigmatic bad guy. In BCS, he's just another character. Getting the backstory to a bad guy humanizes a bad guy, which always makes him less bad and scary. See also: the Star Wars prequels or Rob Zombie's Halloween movies.

I blame internet fandom for the weird obsession with taking an enigmatic character and making three movies and a TV series where we see the enigmatic character's high school transcripts, family tree, and dating history and crucially whether or not they had a puppy as a child.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I love Mike's montages. Dude just strolls in, lays down some smack talk in the break room, makes his way into the warehouse, steals a cart, and acts like he owns in the place.

Something about his audacity just makes me laugh sometimes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ConfusedUs posted:

I love Mike's montages. Dude just strolls in, lays down some smack talk in the break room, makes his way into the warehouse, steals a cart, and acts like he owns in the place.

Something about his audacity just makes me laugh sometimes.

I have a feeling that Lydia's going to be pissed at him for his ACTUAL security consulting.

Looking forward to Mike getting to the point where he wants her dead.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
It'll be hilarious if they turn out to be enemies in their above-board corporate jobs.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah so there's easily 7 seasons if they want.

Season 4: ends with Jimmy becoming Saul (needs to cover a year)
Season 5: Saul solidifies his practice. Ends with Walt walking in the door. If this happens you can bank on the season 6 renewal too.
Season 6: The events of breaking bad from Jimmy's perspective, and what's going on with Kim etc. Ends with Jimmy having to leave abruptly.
Season 7: The redemption of Gene somehow (be the ending happy or not)

They could stretch out for more but I feel like this would be a nice outline thematically and wouldn't overstay the welcome.

well to clarify a bit more about what he said in the interview

he said that there's at least one BB era scene in season 4

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I just watched Pimento (S1E9) again to see again where Howard starts to drop the facade. Holy poo poo, what a glorious episode of TV that is. Also, back then I didn't know who Stephen Ogg was (I know him from Westworld and Walking Dead). I didn't realize he was the tactical douchebag from the parking garage.

now you just made me miss Daniel, him of the PLAYUH license plate and the "squat cobbler" videos

(god, between him and the Kettleteam this show has had some great bad criminals)

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
For me, the huge disconnect between Jimmy, Mike, and to some degree Nacho is the only thing that stops this from being a truly great show. Well, that and the pacing, which dances the line between "slow burn" and deliberately dragging things out for more seasons. Everything else is just so drat good. There are so few shows with this much attention to subtlety, "show, don't tell", and storytelling through cinematography.

Troy Queef posted:

now you just made me miss Daniel, him of the PLAYUH license plate and the "squat cobbler" videos

(god, between him and the Kettleteam this show has had some great bad criminals)

Yeah, I like that the show has also thrown in a little bit of everything. Some people scoff at the idea that this was originally going to be a pure comedy, but because of bits like these, I would watch the hell out of a show where Jimmy/Saul has to deal with a constant stream of dumb criminals.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Despair posted:

well to clarify a bit more about what he said in the interview

he said that there's at least one BB era scene in season 4

Speculation based on the spoiler text above, no new info:

Maybe it’s a flashback in BB but real-time in BCS? I can’t think of B.B flashbacks that involved Saul though.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I like the Gus stuff.

I like the Mike stuff.

I like all the stuff this show does.

Still, 100%, forever, gently caress Chuck

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Durzel posted:

I get the sense that the problem is that Gus's backstory isn't really relevant to anything for two reasons - we already know pretty much everything we need to know about it from BB (the flashback to when his business partner was shot by Hector) and it doesn't involve Jimmy, or even anyone else relevant in BCS.

We know Mike was Saul's PI, and was involved with Gus too, so there's plenty of tracks for the show to go down with him. Plus Mike was pretty taciturn in BB so it's been refreshing to see him more fleshed out (his turn in "Five-O" was amazing).

if I had one criticism of the show it would be that I find it a bit hard to believe that Mike was this involved with Lydia pre-BB. You never got a sense that they knew eachother at all in BB (she calls him "your partner" here, for example). It's not quite fan service, but it feels like its riding the line a bit with it. Equally if Jesse or Walt pop up in the show I really hope it is completely incidental and fleeting, rather than it feeling like there's six degrees of separation between everyone we've seen in both shows. I have confidence in Vince Gilligan that it won't get that bad though.

I can't find the scene where Lydia is speaking to Mike in a diner before the clip you have here, but I got the distinct impression they were very familiar with one another. Which is precisely why Lydia came to him to get rid of the other guys, and why she knew he was the most dangerous one and offered the one dude more money to take Mike out.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have a feeling that Lydia's going to be pissed at him for his ACTUAL security consulting.

Looking forward to Mike getting to the point where he wants her dead.

I'm excited for more frantic, strung out and paranoid Lydia scenes

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I think the more pertinent question is what happens to the money that Howard was going to give Chuck? The whole "I gave him 3 million dollars with the promise of 6 million more on the way" wasn't brought up in Howard's confession of "I forced him out." As much as I love Mike Time I would have liked for the matter of Chuck's will to have been addressed in the season premiere.

Did everyone forget that Chuck had a wife? He probably left everything to her.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 8, 2018

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

I can't find the scene where Lydia is speaking to Mike in a diner before the clip you have here, but I got the distinct impression they were very familiar with one another. Which is precisely why Lydia came to him to get rid of the other guys, and why she knew he was the most dangerous one and offered the one dude more money to take Mike out.

Mike also speaks of her as "that woman" and seems to dislike her for reasons beyond what we're shown of her in Breaking Bad.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I could see Chuck being arrogant enough not to have set up a will, making Jimmy his heir by default.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He probably set up a will when he was married. if he never changed it, that's the most recent one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm live posting from the ABQ

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Random observation; Patrick Fabian seemed noticably older, and while Jonathan Banks didn't quite seem at death's door like he did last year, he still looked pretty old. Hope everything's well with both of them.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
As much as I love Saul as a character, Mike is such a great part of the show.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Okay that Mike montage was great but the music they used was too close to the Dangeresque theme.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Haha wtf is that magazine.
It'd be just like Mike to follow up on that and make sure the guy becomes widely known in pie sitting circles.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

That's a high quality magazine right there. Need to get a subscription.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
it's one of two I did during season 1 when photosop phriday was still a thing

embiggen for full version

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

fuuucck i missed this show so bad

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Definitely expecting Lydia to do something that's totally not Mike's style and that will piss him off, though I expect that to happen once he's actively working as Gus' right hand man. Like it'll start with her being pissed off that he actually came in and did work, but there's going to be a major incident between them that basically has them staying out of each other's business to keep a kind of peace, probably on Gus' orders.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Lydia is gonna be pissed as hell at Mike. he's attracting unnecessary attention when he's not even supposed to exist, and if anything their sloppy practices might even be part of how they obscure, launder and traffic money/drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'd like it if it just came down to some petty office drama where one foreman is pissed because he's losing fifteen minutes times ten workers every day to requisition and inspect their lifting belts, gloves, etc... because that's what would really happen.