Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Bardeh posted:

lmao what in the hell? I feel like I'm in bizarro world reading posts like these. She called the umpire a liar and a thief, when he followed the rules exactly as he should've done. She deliberately smashed her racquet. She berated him for three games, and told him 'you'll never be on the same court as me again'. The way she was conducting herself was appalling, and in no way befitting of someone who's been around for as long as she has.

This. She melted down and costs herself any chance at winning (not that she was probably going to). I’m glad she was penalized a point. You can’t go after an official like that in any sport and not expect to be penalized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Cornflakes posted:

after the match one of the commentators (evert i think) said that when serena was tearing into the ump he should of at least said something like “if you don’t stop you’ll get a game penalty” because i don’t think anyone expected it. seemed like a good idea to me, it’s only fair to remind someone of the (admittedly stupid) consequences in a heated situation like that

Agreed. I just watched the whole thing for the first time and while all the warnings and code violations were legitimate, I’m amazed Ramos didn’t give Serena a verbal reminder that continuing to berate him would result in a game penalty. I’m pretty sure that would have ended it there and then.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

eric posted:

This. She melted down and costs herself any chance at winning (not that she was probably going to). I’m glad she was penalized a point. You can’t go after an official like that in any sport and not expect to be penalized.

You can expect to not be penalized in an extremely game altering way. Also with warning. That's most sports

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

If you called an official a thief in any other sport you'd immediately be disqualified/ejected/red carded/whatever and could probably expect a hefty fine and suspension as well. And I should state that's regardless of whether or not the official in question was in the right with their decision in the moment.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
I don't get all this "It's out of order to penalise someone for a rule that people are rarely/never called on for". We don't accept that thinking for any other aspect of our lives. Lots of rapes go unpunished but we don't think it's unfair to punish the few we do catch. It's an argument for better enforcement, not for unfair application of the rules, so I don't know why people bring it up in Serena's defence.

Serena was completely scummy. "I swear on my daughter I've never received coaching". Coach: "Yeah, to be honest I was coaching like I do every game. Everyone does it."

The mommy card whilst literally acting and screeching like a teenager. The sexism card, just stupid. It's a womens final. The crowd was particularly bad and the whole trophy presentation was a display of utter lack of civility and class on behalf of the US Open. That dumb interviewer: "So, your dream was to face Serena in a final. How does the reality match up?". Read the room, jesus.

And Osaka was going to win anyway, she was playing better tennis.

The crowd and Serena disgraced themselves and ruined the day for the eventual champion. It was all very cringey to watch.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Shrapnig posted:

If you called an official a thief in any other sport you'd immediately be disqualified/ejected/red carded/whatever and could probably expect a hefty fine and suspension as well. And I should state that's regardless of whether or not the official in question was in the right with their decision in the moment.

Yeah I was gonna say people get kicked out of games all the time for questionable stuff. Baseball umpires are the worst at this.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Serena meltdown in 2009:

"I swear to God I'll loving take the ball and shove it down your loving throat."

Her excuse (exactly the same as today's):

"How many people yell at linespeople? Players, athletes get frustrated. I don't know how many times I've seen that happen."

Maybe she's just a bit of a deliberately obtuse oval office.

I think she got the 3rd warning more because she wasn't shutting up in between games. The umpire let it go in between the first break in play, but she kept coming back at him.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!
Serena got a legitimate warning for coaching, and she chose to interpret that as an insinuation that she was cheating, which it absolutely is not. She knows this.

For her to demand an apology (as if any referee in any sport ever has apologized to a player for calling a penalty!), for a thing that didn't even happen, was absurd, entitled behavior.

For her to continue it for several games, then call the umpire a thief for correctly penalizing her for smashing a racket.... I'm not sure what she was expecting. Special treatment because she's Serena? Or selective application of rules because it's a slam final? Come on.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
All the 'IN OTHER SPORTS SHE WOULD BE EJECTED FOR HER SASS' arguments are loving dumb because the equivalent for this is the umpire awarding a team the go ahead run in the ninth inning of game seven of the World Series because he got called something that was not even an expletive or murder threat or anything.

Also she isn't playing a different sport she is playing tennis, where people have traditionally bitched to the chair about literally everything for entire sets.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

All the 'IN OTHER SPORTS SHE WOULD BE EJECTED FOR HER SASS' arguments are loving dumb because the equivalent for this is the umpire awarding a team the go ahead run in the ninth inning of game seven of the World Series because he got called something that was not even an expletive or murder threat or anything.

Also she isn't playing a different sport she is playing tennis, where people have traditionally bitched to the chair about literally everything for entire sets.

Also watch a football game. Or basketball.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Also watch a football game. Or basketball.

Or hockey/mma or pretty much any other sport

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Veskit posted:

Or hockey/mma or pretty much any other sport

Right, baseball is the only one I can think of where bitching out the refs will get you hammered.

Maybe cricket or other sports with tea breaks?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Kind of silly to act like people don't get penalized in those sports when they spend an entire game complaining.

refs have a breaking point too, and if people keep going on and on to a ref about something that's long past, theyre gonna get penalized

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

She is playing tennis, where people have actually been DQ'ed for what she did. She only lost a game.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Penalizing the game was harsh even if it was the third infraction but Serena really did not need to melt down the way she did after the first warning

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Here's my take:

The original, coaching warning was ticky tack. It should have resulted in either a mental note on the ump's part or an unofficial warning. The racket warning is open and shut. I think the third should have had an unofficial "if you do not stop, I will issue a game penalty" notice, and that should be in all situations before a game penalty is first assessed, but that's me. She did keep on chirping him after she did officially get the third, so maybe it wouldn't have stopped it from coming down.

I sincerely believe Osaka would have won, either in a close 2nd set or in the 3rd. Serena didn't seem to have it, though she was getting back into things in the 2nd, though the warnings tilted her out of the match.

The long and short of it: I think the umpire decided to insert himself into a major championship.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

nachos posted:

Penalizing the game was harsh even if it was the third infraction but Serena really did not need to melt down the way she did after the first warning

It was after the second for what it's worth when she broke her racket that she really melted down. I don't think she realized it was an official warning at that point.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

It was after the second for what it's worth when she broke her racket that she really melted down. I don't think she realized it was an official warning at that point.

She definitely thought she was on her first warning breaking the racket. She had an interaction with the ump after the first warning where she thought she'd straightened it out with him, and he didn't explain to her that he was giving her a penalty for her coach's actions, not hers.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Right, baseball is the only one I can think of where bitching out the refs will get you hammered.

Maybe cricket or other sports with tea breaks?

Even then has there been a world series in which that has happened?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Veskit posted:

Even then has there been a world series in which that has happened?

I'm sure. You can get ejected in baseball just for arguing balls and strikes

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah in any regular ol game but the world seriiessss?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

IIRC Roger Clemens, when he was still with the Red Sox, once got ejected in the first inning of an ALCS game for bitching to the home plate umpire from the mound about balls and strikes. He didn't even have to go face-to-face with the ump.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

I love some of the twitter commentary around this throwing accusations of race and gender bias at the umpire.

In a womens final, where Serena's opponent was half-Japanese half-Haitian and if anything more of a minority in the US than she is. Serena's got a long rear end track record of treating the sport like she owns it.

She does own at it, though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Crazy Ted posted:

IIRC Roger Clemens, when he was still with the Red Sox, once got ejected in the first inning of an ALCS game for bitching to the home plate umpire from the mound about balls and strikes. He didn't even have to go face-to-face with the ump.

IIRC, baseball has a weird rule specifically about balls and strikes, and you can get away with ref sass about other things but they'll eject you in a second if you say they called a strike wrong.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

She definitely thought she was on her first warning breaking the racket. She had an interaction with the ump after the first warning where she thought she'd straightened it out with him, and he didn't explain to her that he was giving her a penalty for her coach's actions, not hers.

Come on. Serena knows the rules. She knows what a coaching violation means, and that it's a penalty.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

IIRC, baseball has a weird rule specifically about balls and strikes, and you can get away with ref sass about other things but they'll eject you in a second if you say they called a strike wrong.

You can do a lot of things to an umpire, but questioning their integrity is always going to draw a penalty. Serena called the umpire a thief (after berating him for several minutes). Not sure what anyone expects should happen.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So... there you have it. Lot of sexists in this threat. :nono:

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

iospace posted:

Here's my take:

The original, coaching warning was ticky tack. It should have resulted in either a mental note on the ump's part or an unofficial warning. The racket warning is open and shut. I think the third should have had an unofficial "if you do not stop, I will issue a game penalty" notice, and that should be in all situations before a game penalty is first assessed, but that's me. She did keep on chirping him after she did officially get the third, so maybe it wouldn't have stopped it from coming down.

I sincerely believe Osaka would have won, either in a close 2nd set or in the 3rd. Serena didn't seem to have it, though she was getting back into things in the 2nd, though the warnings tilted her out of the match.

The long and short of it: I think the umpire decided to insert himself into a major championship.

this is pretty much perfect. the enforcement of the rules today didn’t track with my experience watching lots of matches, and the warnings weren’t that clearly stated either. there need to be a very direct announcements, especially when strike 3 costs you a game. i’m sure most people watching at home were confused.

and yeah, Osaka’s serves and passing shots were way too good. she was gonna win.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

LionArcher posted:

Not true. The golden state warriors constantly do and if they were reffed by the same rules Green would be kicked out of 70% of his games.

every non-gsw fan on planet earth would contribute to a gofundme to buy a sports car for the hero that ejects draymond green from a finals game

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Serena is the worst kind of loser. You shouldn’t get away talking poo poo like she did and have done in the past.

What has she done through the years? She called Asderaki a hater and ugly on the inside. She threatened to sue Cicak because the grass was wet in Wimbledon. She threatened to shove a ball down the throat of a line judge. She called Ramos a liar and a thief. Clearly there is a conspiracy against the great champion Serena Williams, oh, and all women too.

Well done Naomi. :toot: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; Sascha Bajin is a wizard.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Osaka was better and on her way to winning anyway. Serena is still awesome and the GOAT. On her being perceived as some sort of classless bully: people are celebrating John McEnroe, „such a character!“, to this day, a guy who abused umpires and linesmen too many times to count. What happened yesterday absolutely had to do with her being a woman talking poo poo to the ref. But a piece like the one by Sally Jenkins in the Washington Post goes too far when she concludes that we will never know whether or not Osaka could have won without the incident. I strongly disagree with that.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Jack's Flow posted:

What happened yesterday absolutely had to do with her being a woman talking poo poo to the ref.

This is incongruent with her history of meltdowns. She is the GOAT and because of that she has historically gotten away with some behaviour that would've seen suspensions from Grand Slams for a name less big as hers; being given fines instead. She was badgering the umpire incessantly and was showing absolutely no signs of shutting up. Sports are not democracies where you have to agree with the ref for the call to stand, or where if you go at the ref long enough you can overturn a decision.

She's done this all before (and worse) and been penalised but people only care about it this time because it was a historic final for her. I guess it still was, but for different reasons than she probably intended. She's got a history of behaving like a twat to officials, and holding herself above her own sport. To a degree you kinda have to be an arrogant rear end to be the very best at anything 'cos it takes a certain mentality, but she got found out hard here. Finally has been shown the actual consequences of some of her behaviour.

I fully believe a female umpire would've penalised her the same way for that incessant tirade, assuming all the other calls to that point had been the same.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Who are all you people?

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?

LionArcher posted:

So... there you have it. Lot of sexists in this threat. :nono:

Are you trolling?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Ramos did give her warnings.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Puckish Rogue posted:

Who are all you people?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Serena is a dope fraud.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jack's Flow posted:

Osaka was better and on her way to winning anyway. Serena is still awesome and the GOAT. On her being perceived as some sort of classless bully: people are celebrating John McEnroe, „such a character!“, to this day, a guy who abused umpires and linesmen too many times to count. What happened yesterday absolutely had to do with her being a woman talking poo poo to the ref. But a piece like the one by Sally Jenkins in the Washington Post goes too far when she concludes that we will never know whether or not Osaka could have won without the incident. I strongly disagree with that.

People loving hated McEnroe, everything like that mellows after retirement. I can't believe all the takes about Serena Williams being treated badly by the media. I can't think of any other tennis player except maybe Federer who constantly gets more effusive coverage.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
"Serena"? Well... she is not!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

People loving hated McEnroe, everything like that mellows after retirement. I can't believe all the takes about Serena Williams being treated badly by the media. I can't think of any other tennis player except maybe Federer who constantly gets more effusive coverage.

Roger Federer is a saint! Seriously though, I love Roger Federer.

• Locked thread