Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Pants Donkey posted:

It is probably not coincidence the year I started HRT is the year I began editing that behemoth for 2018 and asked, “what am I doing with my life?”

You started HRT last year? gently caress, so did my girlfriend and I. 20gayteen was a good year to be gay, even if you weren't a teen. Hopefully 20biteen is even better.

Congratulations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Cat Mattress posted:

A "Good Brexit", in British opinion, would have been that they'd keep all the perks of being members in the EU but with none of the drawbacks; eating their cake and having it too. Get access to the free market without having to respect EU norms for the products they put on that market. Get EU funding for British projects without having to contribute to the EU budget. And so on.

But surprisingly, the EU didn't agree with any of this. This befuddled the average Briton, fortunately an explanation has been found: the EU is trying to make Britain pay for daring to recover freedom, it's trying to make an example out of it to deter others from also defecting, so it's really just a form of unfair persecution. Which is why a no-deal Brexit is preferable to Theresa May's deal. Rule Britannia!

I think it was in a politoon thread that someone posted this analogy:

Britain loving up their economy by leaving the EU is as much "the EU making an example out of them" as jumping out of a plane with no parachute is "gravity making an example of you."

Zemyla posted:

You started HRT last year? gently caress, so did my girlfriend and I. 20gayteen was a good year to be gay, even if you weren't a teen. Hopefully 20biteen is even better.

Congratulations!

:hfive: 2018 HRT buddies. (How many trans people are there in this thread anyway? Or on SA in general? We seem to be a significant percentage of these dead gay forums.)

Mikl fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 2, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Katt posted:

Her doing a DNA test to somehow appease the right is like if AOC was to accept that challenge to debate Ben Shapiro. Met him at a debate, won the debate and then expected Conservatives to concede the point. There was no winning by dancing to their tune.

It's not even that, it's as if AOC accepted and then somehow let Shaprio dunk on her a bunch and then tried to say 'welp, I owned him good didn't I?' Aside from the racial politics it's just so loving stupid it genuinely makes me question how competent she'd be as an actual leader.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Cat Mattress posted:

A "Good Brexit", in British opinion, would have been that they'd keep all the perks of being members in the EU but with none of the drawbacks; eating their cake and having it too. Get access to the free market without having to respect EU norms for the products they put on that market. Get EU funding for British projects without having to contribute to the EU budget. And so on.

But surprisingly, the EU didn't agree with any of this. This befuddled the average Briton, fortunately an explanation has been found: the EU is trying to make Britain pay for daring to recover freedom, it's trying to make an example out of it to deter others from also defecting, so it's really just a form of unfair persecution. Which is why a no-deal Brexit is preferable to Theresa May's deal. Rule Britannia!

Ah, so "Good Brexit" is completely unfeasible and fake, but just enough of the population is arrogant/stupid enough to believe it's possible anyway that politicians will continue to pander to that demographic and enable these delusions out of cowardice/lust for power even though doing so is going to damage the country as a whole and all of it's people for decades to come.

It's basically the same set up that caused Trump to get elected in America.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Hey, guess whats up? Thats right, its the Gaybies!

Get in quick, voting ends in a week.

Katt posted:

Purposely sabotaging his chances of helping the country just so he can stand in the ashes and go "told you so" doesn't help anyone either.

The fact is that enough voters still want a good Brexit that you can't run a platform of no-Brexit (a whole bunch of unsafe Labour seats are also located in areas that voted leave). And you can't tell the people that a good Brexit isn't possible because both sides spent the last 2 years telling the people how they were going to do a good Brexit.

If Corbyn comes out now and says a good Brexit isn't possible then that means he was lying the whole time.

And a second referendum would probably end up with both parties promising that they could do a good Brexit yet again. Combined with the staggering amount of animosity generated against the EU through this whole Brexit disaster, the average Brit probably has a lower opinion of EU now than they did at the first referendum.

The truth is probably that the British people will have to first eat the worst that Brexit has to offer. Live with it for a few years and then Labour can campaign on rebuilding afterwards. I don't know if rejoining the EU is even remotely plausible in the next 20 years. British pride would probably prevent any party from running on that platform but maybe Labour can manually negotiate all the trade deals one at a time to restore the country to some semblance of what it was before.

You can't argue the British people into accepting that they voted wrong. Especially not before they got a chance to feel the result They have to watch their whole lives collapse around them as a result and then be given a chance to vote right. Even then you probably have to frame it in a way so they can get out of it with all their dignity. Like we're not reversing Brexit. Just improving on it slightly. Continuing Brexit on its natural course for a better society through improved foreign relations (wink loving wink)

Because conceding to these idiots and letting them burn the whole thing down will certainly make them grow up and accept they were better off with the EU. Look at all the times that the British people have reacted like reasonable, responsible adults.

Hell, all it will take is for Britain to lose, badly, in the world cup yet again for the entire island to want to vote against rejoining the EU out of pure spite. And good effing luck fielding a halfway decent team without access to EU players, so look forward to celebrations that they managed to come in 26th this year, breaking their losing streak.

At best, you MIGHT be able to get Britain to agree to rejoining the EU with the deal they had before, which there is no chance the EU will give them. There is no "in the future" here, if the leaders stand by as Britain leaves the EU, just to protect their jobs, that is it. They have traded away any viable future for a shot at ruling over the ashes.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Ah, so "Good Brexit" is completely unfeasible and fake, but just enough of the population is arrogant/stupid enough to believe it's possible anyway that politicians will continue to pander to that demographic and enable these delusions out of cowardice/lust for power even though doing so is going to damage the country as a whole and all of it's people for decades to come.

It's basically the same set up that caused Trump to get elected in America.

The demand for a "Good Brexit" reflects the belief of not only would Britain be better off outside of the EU but that the EU also depends upon the UK so much that they'll want to make things as easy for the UK as possible. Reality of course has the EU's approach being pretty close to 'kick to the curb'.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Jurgan posted:

I’m still not sure what the big deal is. Mostly people just say it was bad politics, but the people who will attack her for it would have attacked her anyway. I don’t see anything wrong with doing the DNA test to find out the truth about her heritage, since she never claimed to be a Native American herself. Some Cherokee officials complained I think because they were worried it would give the impression that Cherokee citizenship is about DNA, but she never said that, so...

I didn’t watch the video, though; maybe it was presented badly.

Because Native Americans really, really hate how white people try and cash in on some cultural cachet through fractional NA heritage when actual Native peoples were brutalized for trying to hold onto their heritage and tribal identities. The whole thing is just a poison well at this point that's best avoided all together.

Warren was doing the smart thing and using the dumb scandal to bring attention to Native issues and communities, but Trump baited her, said he'd donate to a charity of her choosing if she could prove it. It looked like a way to put the whole thing to bed while getting one over on Trump with some cash going to NA communities. But you can't actually beat Trump at his own game, and she ended up just burning what good will she'd built with a lot of Native Americans for even going down that road.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Taerkar posted:

The demand for a "Good Brexit" reflects the belief of not only would Britain be better off outside of the EU but that the EU also depends upon the UK so much that they'll want to make things as easy for the UK as possible. Reality of course has the EU's approach being pretty close to 'kick to the curb'.

Isn't the UK in danger of breaking up now too? Last I heard Ireland wants to stay in the EU.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

"This country is incredibly stupid and also doomed."

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Mikl posted:

:hfive: 2018 HRT buddies. (How many trans people are there in this thread anyway? Or on SA in general? We seem to be a significant percentage of these dead gay forums.)

I'm hoping to start HRT this year; I already have an elevated blood-clot risk and my doctor seems to think estrogen supplements are all equivalent to Premarin. :sigh: But I'm moving in March or April and getting a new GP, so hopefully I can start moving things forward.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Isn't the UK in danger of breaking up now too? Last I heard Ireland wants to stay in the EU.

Yeah it's gonna be pretty fun when the Tories manage to both restart the Troubles and get Scotland to secede.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I started HRT in 2017. I was working on the OP for 2018.

But grats to all!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Mikl posted:

I think it was in a politoon thread that someone posted this analogy:

Britain loving up their economy by leaving the EU is as much "the EU making an example out of them" as jumping out of a plane with no parachute is "gravity making an example of you."

it's more like the pilot of the plane literally making an example of you by pointing at your hurtling body and telling the rest of the passengers "please don't jump out of the plane we do not have parachutes"

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ungulateman posted:

it's more like the pilot of the plane literally making an example of you by pointing at your hurtling body and telling the rest of the passengers "please don't jump out of the plane we do not have parachutes"

And there wasn't even an exit door, you just decided to attack the wall of the plane until there was an opening you could jump through.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

FFUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

YYYYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Who is the person on the left supposed to be? It better not be border security.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Electric Phantasm posted:

Who is the person on the left supposed to be? It better not be border security.

Lol of course it is

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

It's ridiculous how transparently Ramirez's only real platform is "own the libs". As recently as late 2017 he hated DACA, but as soon as Democrats rejected Trump's DACA-for-Wall deal, suddenly Ramirez is concerned for the children.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Katt posted:

Her doing a DNA test to somehow appease the right is like if AOC was to accept that challenge to debate Ben Shapiro. Met him at a debate, won the debate and then expected Conservatives to concede the point. There was no winning by dancing to their tune.

But, see, that's my point. You can argue that it was bad politics, but a lot of people talk as though it were offensive or immoral or racist to even talk about it, and I'm not sure why.

there wolf posted:

Because Native Americans really, really hate how white people try and cash in on some cultural cachet through fractional NA heritage when actual Native peoples were brutalized for trying to hold onto their heritage and tribal identities. The whole thing is just a poison well at this point that's best avoided all together.

Which would be an issue if she'd done that. As far as I can tell, she's never said "I'd be a better president because I'm part Cherokee," and the claims that she got to Harvard on affirmative action are completely false.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Taerkar posted:

Reality of course has the EU's approach being pretty close to 'kick to the curb'.

not really

the reality was pretty close to 'a man was in a bank threatening to hit his balls with a hammer if you don't give him money. then he hit his balls'

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Those of you who really hate Ted Rall, instead of complaining about him being employed by a Russian outlet - which is unlikely to be a compelling argument to someone who agrees with a Ted Rall take - just post this comic and lol at how loving terrible of a person he is.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The one where he said Lincoln was a warmonger is very Ted Rall, too.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Lightning Knight posted:

Those of you who really hate Ted Rall, instead of complaining about him being employed by a Russian outlet - which is unlikely to be a compelling argument to someone who agrees with a Ted Rall take - just post this comic and lol at how loving terrible of a person he is.

Here's yet another OP request: we need to track down and save a link to that detailed Let's Read of his 1984 comic book.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ague Proof posted:

The one where he said Lincoln was a warmonger was pretty good, too.

Aw poo poo I remember this but I don't remember exactly what he said, please post this if you can find it lol.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

Aw poo poo I remember this but I don't remember exactly what he said, please post this if you can find it lol.

I think it was a commentary, where he said that every single US president was equally terrible and awful, and therefore you shouldn't criticize Trump.

There's also him attacking Nelson frigging Mandela.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Lightning Knight posted:

http://rall.com/2018/01/15/all-presidents-are-assholes-trump-shithole-countries

quote:

Even on the Left, some Americans point to Lincoln as a pillar of moral rectitude. But Honest Abe suspended the ancient writ of habeas corpus; in 2006, a militaristic rear end in a top hat named George W. Bush relied on Lincoln’s 1863 precedent to abolish it altogether.

Since nothing in the Constitution bans secession, Southern states enjoyed the legal right to leave the Union. Defying the Constitution, Lincoln went to war — illegally — to bring them back. Not only was the Civil War a bloodbath, it left us with a nation that remains politically and culturally fractured to this day. Blacks were 13% of the population of the Confederacy. Had Lincoln chosen peace, a slave uprising might have brought down the Old South — and killed a lot of racists.

Lincoln cheated in the 1864 election by playing both sides of the secession. To justify the war, he claimed the breakaway states were still part of the Union, yet didn’t count Southern electoral votes because they would have cost him reelection.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Jurgan posted:

But, see, that's my point. You can argue that it was bad politics, but a lot of people talk as though it were offensive or immoral or racist to even talk about it, and I'm not sure why.

Which would be an issue if she'd done that. As far as I can tell, she's never said "I'd be a better president because I'm part Cherokee," and the claims that she got to Harvard on affirmative action are completely false.

It was offensive because it's using gene testing to make a claim about ethnicity, something that isn't specifically rooted in genetics, and it's doing so for a group whose identity has been routinely redefined to suit the desires and needs of white folks above the people who actually hold that identity. It's just ugly at this point, and Warren should have had the sensitivity to not engage in it even when Trump baited her. There are worse things and worse people, but that doesn't mean Warren did nothing wrong and doesn't deserve some push back for it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

lmao what a fuckin' idiot, this is how it always is with Rall, he has a layup as easy as "all American presidents are poo poo" and then comes at Lincoln for... essentially what amounts to Lost Cause apologia, instead of like idk, the racism and making GBS threads on Native Americans? And poo poo even that said Lincoln is basically the only defensible president and that's a huge can of worms.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

there wolf posted:

It was offensive because it's using gene testing to make a claim about ethnicity, something that isn't specifically rooted in genetics, and it's doing so for a group whose identity has been routinely redefined to suit the desires and needs of white folks above the people who actually hold that identity. It's just ugly at this point, and Warren should have had the sensitivity to not engage in it even when Trump baited her. There are worse things and worse people, but that doesn't mean Warren did nothing wrong and doesn't deserve some push back for it.

She didn't, though. At no point did she ever claim to be Cherokee. The only thing she said was that she had a native american ancestor, which DNA testing is appropriate for.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fulchrum posted:

Hell, all it will take is for Britain to lose, badly, in the world cup yet again for the entire island to want to vote against rejoining the EU out of pure spite. And good effing luck fielding a halfway decent team without access to EU players, so look forward to celebrations that they managed to come in 26th this year, breaking their losing streak.

You appear to have the European Union confused with FIFA. Easily done, what with one being one of the largest trading monoliths in the world and the other organising international soccer competitions.

Also Great Britain doesn't enter the World Cup, the four constituent nations do. (Although only England have qualified in a long time.)

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Taerkar posted:

If you want to have an idea of what kind of mentality produces the support for brexit, consider that there's a demographic of voters that is shocked that the republic of Ireland has the gall to stay in the EU instead of leaving together with the UK, and then the dastardly dictators in Brussel dare to care more about the interests of their member state than the interests of the mighty UK!
The entire project is heavily rooted in empire nostalgia and misplaced belief in one's superiority over the rest of the continent.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jedit posted:

You appear to have the European Union confused with FIFA. Easily done, what with one being one of the largest trading monoliths in the world and the other organising international soccer competitions.

Also Great Britain doesn't enter the World Cup, the four constituent nations do. (Although only England have qualified in a long time.)

You're seriously telling me you think that the people of Great Britain don't care about the FIFA world cup, and their being bad at it doesn't cause petty hatred of other countries, of which the EU comprises a number of, to flare up?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The British national ego is hilariously fragile, beaten in terms of sheer self-importance and arrogance only by their worst invention, the American. Destroy all Anglos imo.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Pants Donkey posted:

I started HRT in 2017. I was working on the OP for 2018.

Besesoth posted:

I'm hoping to start HRT this year

Ah yes the classic transition story of starting a forums thread about political cartoons

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

there wolf posted:

She explicitly did not make a claim about ethnicity based on her genetics. She was (smart or not) trying to tell a story in her family and try to verify if it might be true. She has never claimed to be an Indian.

She released a 5 minute video about it and here is the small part that talks about how she acknowledges that she is not a member of a tribe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHzbdZuVyAM&t=256s

Thomas Smith on the Serious Inquiries Only podcast articulates my feelings well. https://seriouspod.com/sio162-in-defense-of-elizabeth-warren-2/

I haven't seen anything that contradicts what he says, but I'm happy to be corrected. This is not my area of expertise.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Chip Bok posted:

Electronic Frontiers Foundation took a look back at 2018 data privacy scandals.

The Marriott hack that stole data from up to 500 million visitors made the cut. But the report says the really bad actors “were the tech companies themselves, harvesting of mountains of users’ data and employing flawed systems to use and share it.”

Chip Bok posted:

Trump says $5.6 billion isn’t much for border security.

Pelosi says, “We are giving the Republicans the opportunity to take yes for an answer,” “Senate Republicans have already supported this legislation, and if they reject it now, they will be fully complicit in chaos and destruction of the President’s third shutdown of his term.”

But no money for a wall.

They’re meeting this afternoon in the situation room.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Angepain posted:

Ah yes the classic transition story of starting a forums thread about political cartoons

I joined up here to read political cartoons, and now I'm trans.

You're next.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

"Happy Hop?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Jurgan posted:

"Happy Hop?"