Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lulti posted:

Funny thing is, you can read that comic left-to-right or right-to-left and it would still make sense.

ha i dunno which way is better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Okay that ending was a thing

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Rei, Successor to the Nanto Style Suichō Ken (South Dipper Waterfowl Fist.) Of the Rokusei Ken he is bears the destiny of Gisei - The Star of Justice.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This fight is like the perfect Fist of the North Star fight, with Ken effortlessly no-selling being suplexed through a wall to counter-suplex his opponent, and immediately pulling out a new special technique to win the second he looks to be in any danger.

With ridiculous soundtrack.

Also it's always Ken's opponent who tries the 'Oh, interesting! This is a true fight and actually I'm enjoying this!' thing while Ken just stares, flat-faced, an emotionless brick as always.

It's wonderful and I love it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Freddy Mercury never stood a chance against Ken.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Would it be possible to do a Suikoden game using Hokuto no Ken characters, or did Kenshiro explode all the other stars?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Would it be possible to do a Suikoden game using Hokuto no Ken characters, or did Kenshiro explode all the other stars?

To be fair, Ken didn't explode all of them, just those that were evil (about half of them).

Raoh exploded the other half.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
There's a bunch of stuff that happens this time around. Minigames in chapter 5! We have options on things to do!

11: Bounty Hunting/Polsy
Recommended supplemental viewing: Kool-Aid Ken, Hug it out friends

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

This game is definitely a ride so far.

Though, Kenshiro better bring that girl from the beginning a shitton of apples sooner rather than later.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Wow, that last guy got Thanus'ed.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Bartender Ken is probably my favorite mini game in this game too. A few tips for it-
1. Ignore the game’s advice to shake the controller with both hands. Shaking with one hand vertically always worked best for me. Although if you have the motor control to use both hands you probably should to prevent motion strain. If you play excessively (I don’t, or at least so I like to think).
2. The ice breaker game doesn’t penalize you for pressing the wrong button. So pounding all four repeatedly works faster and better than precision ironically.
3. If you hold a handkerchief or shirt fabric over the 4 buttons it’s easier to repetitively strike them. Wrapping fabric around the stick also helped me spin the right analog stick quickly in the stirring mini game.
4. You get no reward if you mess up a drink. This makes screwing up in substories incredibly frustrating- that and the random chance of getting them all to appear. Forewarnings.

Even with Tip 4, the bartender game is fun and I look forward to seeing Scruffy show it off more. I’ll post all the drink names another time.

Bounty Hunting- This side job I can actually post some Lore about. In the second anime series of Fist of the North Star, bounty hunting comes into play. An organization called the Celestial Empire puts a bounty on Kenshiro’s head and a few people try to collect. The only one who isn’t killed quickly is a dude named Ein who rides around in a bulldozer driven by a chained slave, fights like a pro boxer, and wears a jumpsuit embalazoned with the USA Stars and Stripes. Yeah, nice political commentary, anime! Kenshiro spares Ein because he can sense Ein is bounty hunting to take care of a little girl. And it isn’t long before Bat convinces Ein being a good guy and fighting the Evil Empire is more fun than working for them. Later he makes a heroic sacrifice of his life to destroy their capitol fortress and save all the other prominent good guys in the series at the time. Otherwise bounty hunting doesn’t come up in Fist of the North Star much. Surprising- Ken seems a natural at it.

And by the way, we have seen Isuka before in the game. Recall he watched Ken’s first battle on the Eden street with curiousity and then ran off. Hmm...

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I get it - that Ken winds up being a Bartender - but why doesn't he offer to Pressure Point help the bartender himself first? He's already helped people with their medical problems in-game, so why not now?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
"Kenshiro, you need to duel this man to prove your innocence and good name."
Kenshiro then immediately saves a man's life, solves several bounties, and promptly ignores the judicial system.

:allears:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I mean these duels are kind of a joke of a judicial system (imagine if the accuser wasn't a martial artist so didn't even have that 1% chance of victory), so may as well keep it on the backburner.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

berryjon posted:

I get it - that Ken winds up being a Bartender - but why doesn't he offer to Pressure Point help the bartender himself first? He's already helped people with their medical problems in-game, so why not now?

It’s possible the bartender may have issues pressure points can’t easily solve- do such points exist to counter old age and rheumatoid arthritis? The one time I recall Toki helping an old guy in the anime he specifically said it would take a while for his treatment to be fully effective. It may be that Kenshiro is better at quick cures than longer term treatments. Good things quick remedies for things like chemical blindness, emotional trauma, stomach aches, sunstroke, and headaches exist in Hokuto Shinken!

The dueling justice system- yeah, Kenshiro is a bit lucky nobody is forcing him to duel Rei right away. We got a bit of mandatory stuff to go before he can get there- maybe an hour’s content easily and that’s if Scruffy doesn’t take advantage of breaks in the action to fit in more side stuff to grind, get items, or just enjoy the game. Gotta figure they already know Kenshiro probably isn’t a bad guy and they’re taking advantage of him while stringing Rei along. Admittedly Rei is a patient man... I do have a Lore post coming for Rei by the way, but I’m saving it for the right time.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 31, 2019

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So on the Talismans that were created in this ep, the suits are the corresponding suits in a tarot card deck. Diamond = Coin, Grail/Cup = Heart, Sword = Spade and...OK, Club = Club, but that is often referred to as Staves.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

achtungnight posted:

It’s possible the bartender may have issues pressure points can’t easily solve- do such points exist to counter old age and rheumatoid arthritis? The one time I recall Toki helping an old guy in the anime he specifically said it would take a while for his treatment to be fully effective. It may be that Kenshiro is better at quick cures than longer term treatments. Good things quick remedies for things like chemical blindness, emotional trauma, stomach aches, sunstroke, and headaches exist in Hokuto Shinken!

Yeah, generally speaking the medical applications of Hokuto revolve around repairing damage already present and generally boosting the body's immune response. For example, radiation poisoning/leukemia is consistently depicted as something beyond Hokuto, although the palliative care and quality of life it can give is something else. The final fight between Raoh and Toki happens when the latter is in the terminal phase of his disease, and Toki could still give as hard as he received.

Now, healing emotional trauma, well :lol: but I don't think there's a single culture on Earth where emotional problems are not treated as "bootstrap yourself loser".

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Omobono posted:

Now, healing emotional trauma, well :lol: but I don't think there's a single culture on Earth where emotional problems are not treated as "bootstrap yourself loser".

He literally does this, though. He taps Lin the little girl sidekick with his magic fingers and it cures her PTSD so she can talk.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I meant, don't think about that facet too hard because it's never going to make sense even accounting for the magical martial art that can make people explode, and it's an area where humanity as a whole has a massive blind spot.

It's interesting to me that Eden is emphatically not a good place. Xsana is a good ruler, and in general the people in power are decent, but this is a place of order, not good. This is invaluable after the apocalypse, because at least you won't get murdered by random warlord's mook #27, but just look at their joke of a judicial system and shudder.
Seriously, they have trial by combat and they treat it like it was Wrestlemania.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Was there ever a single doubt in anyone's mind that a series based around Mad Max, the justice system wouldn't specifically be Thunderdome? Especially after the Coliseum games with prisoners we went through just walk around in Eden?

Listen On! Listen On! This is the truth of it. Biceps leads to killing -- and killing gets to warring -- and that was near the death of us all. Look at us now, wall smashed in and people talkin about the Army of Ruin. But we've learned! By the dust of em all, Eden has learned well. Now, when martial artists get to squablin, the fighting starts here, and it ends here without collateral damage! Two men enter, only the truth leaves!

And now, I've got two chiseled slabs of meat for you, right here! Warriors of the strongest sort here to throw down in a cage! Ladies and Gentlemen. Bandits and Man Children. Foightn' time's here!

He's the gorgeous pursing wolf! The most graceful fist in wastes here to ask you -- what color is your blood! Rei of Suichō Ken!

And the Champion himself! The man that paints Eden red hourly with the blood of our enemies and then mixes our drinks at the Rusty Nail later. Kenshiro of Hokuto Shinken!

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 31, 2019

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I guess for Ken, the hard part of bounty hunting is leaving enough of a body to be identified.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I think maybe the people of eden are just assholes. The bartender is writhing on the floor in pain and people are just stepping over him to get to a barstool and demand a drink.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
Man, I’ve got plenty of ideas of what a “Suplex Drop” might be just off the name, but the video shows it’s purple. That kind of limits the options. And I’m out of blackberry alcohols.

Trip report in... two, three weeks?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
12: The Chill Bartending Episode/Polsy
Recommended supplemental viewing: Here's Heart!, Say your goodbyes lardass, A Good Kitty

I feel like I should mention on the Good Kitty supplemental, the translation actually doesn't quite get the sense of it right. It's less a case of "the tiger didn't sense Kenshiro as a threat" and more that "the tiger accepted it was already dead". Granted, both are probably useful for an assassination art. One gives no sense of threat, the other gives no sliver of success.

Jothan posted:

Man, I’ve got plenty of ideas of what a “Suplex Drop” might be just off the name, but the video shows it’s purple. That kind of limits the options. And I’m out of blackberry alcohols.

Trip report in... two, three weeks?

:staredog:

...go on. I am excited to see.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 4, 2019

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
More Bartending. :) I shook the controller horizontally in the beginning too, but the higher drink levels eventually forced me to use a vertical shake for the proper speed. Good if you didn't have that issue, Scruffy. And for the record, I agree about Bloody Marys.

The random customers in the Bartending game is a pain much of the time. Which brings me to another tip about progress in this minigame. Memorize where the customer you want to deal with (anyone you don't have maxed out) appears (left, right, or center) and take care of the customer in that position to rotate them. Succeed or fail, the customer will leave once served and give your target a chance to appear. Some customers only appear once certain substories are complete or bartending ranks are reached. I think I had to get to Rank A before the Junk Shop guy started appearing (he's one of the harder guys, but worth it). Unique customers like Jagre and Xsana only appear for their substories and that's it. Some customers become regulars after their substories also- these lead to unique items once maxed.

Drink list-
Hokuto Hundred-Proof Rush
Shining Shot of Death
Bloodstained Mary
Duel on the Beach
Yuria Eternal
You Are Already Drunk
Suplex Drop
Southern Cross Metropolis
Inebriation of Souls

There may be some I can't remember. Please remind me if you can.

For those who don't know, Shining Shot of Death is a reference to the Star of Death in the second arc of the anime. Those who see this star are usually destined to die within a year. If two martial artists come to duel each other and one can see it, he will surely lose. If both see it, they are evenly matched and either could win. You will also see this star shining beside the Seven Star Gauge in the game if Kenshiro is close to death. Some moves are only possible with it shining, of course.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

achtungnight posted:

More Bartending. :) I shook the controller horizontally in the beginning too, but the higher drink levels eventually forced me to use a vertical shake for the proper speed. Good if you didn't have that issue, Scruffy. And for the record, I agree about Bloody Marys.

I've found the trick for high level horizontal shaking to actually be a loose grip. Pinky out, for extra class. You still get good speed, but the extra jerking from the loose grip keeps it moving pretty fast. Just don't throw your controller :v:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
The bartending game alone makes me want more of this game.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yes, this is clearly a video game of quality.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Can we list/invent drinks from FotNS stuff outside this game?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Bootcha posted:

Can we list/invent drinks from FotNS stuff outside this game?

:justpost: I am excited to find out how the wasteland drinks.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Bartending Kenshiro posted:

Hokuto Hundred-Proof Rush

That name is incredible.

For your presentation question, I think you should just keep it all in the video. The character interactions are neat to watch, and if people get bored with it it’s easy to skip over while watching.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Hokuto Hundred-Proof Rush and Shining Shot of Death are probably the two best drink names of that list that we've seen so far.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

dscruffy1 posted:

12: The Chill Bartending Episode/Polsy
Recommended supplemental viewing: Here's Heart!, Say your goodbyes lardass, A Good Kitty

I feel like I should mention on the Good Kitty supplemental, the translation actually doesn't quite get the sense of it right. It's less a case of "the tiger didn't sense Kenshiro as a threat" and more that "the tiger accepted it was already dead". Granted, both are probably useful for an assassination art. One gives no sense of threat, the other gives no sliver of success.

:staredog:

...go on. I am excited to see.

That was quite a stirring video. It left me quite shaken. I think it''s a nice way to break up the action.

cokerpilot fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 4, 2019

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I can only offer drink names right now.

Two-Finger Revelation - something with Crème de menthe
Hangman's Mind Crusher - vodka, jager, and sprite, I think, trying to think of that jager drink that tastes like root beer
Hokuto Rye-sing Thunder Kick - rye whiskey, ginger somehing, bitters, maybe a lemon

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Kenshiro's intense stare as a customer tastes a drink he just made is most disturbing thing in this game of human bodies exploding into viscera.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Glimpse posted:

Kenshiro's intense stare as a customer tastes a drink he just made is most disturbing thing in this game of human bodies exploding into viscera.

To be fair, "intense glaring" is Ken's default expression.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For the "Hokuto Hundred-Proof Rush" going by the glass and color probably a variation of a Greenback using navy strength gin.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Tony Snark posted:

For the "Hokuto Hundred-Proof Rush" going by the glass and color probably a variation of a Greenback using navy strength gin.

That’s got the look down, but by the traditional recipe if you wanted it to end up at 100 proof, you would need 200 proof gin. I think you’re on the right track with Creme de Menthe; an Emerald Isle is gin with a little bit of menthe and bitters, so maybe something along those lines? I’ve never tried it.

If it wasn’t for the game consistently calling it a “dry” drink, it’d be entirely possible that the recipe was “just pour half a glass of straight Chartreuse and call it a day”

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Isn't 200 proof literally 100% alcohol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Shei-kun posted:

Isn't 200 proof literally 100% alcohol?

You can't make 200 proof, the best you can do is 191.