Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Poor Suomi :smith: but there are back-ups for her at least! right? Right? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Poor Suomi :smith: but there are back-ups for her at least! right? Right? :argh:

You'll have to wait until after the equipment mechanics post to find out :unsmigghh:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I'm sure Suomi's fine, just how long was it since she backed up anyways? :v:

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Great update! Poor Suomi, if she comes back she won't even remember the battle. Maybe that's for the better.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mechanics: Equipment

Once you clear Chapter 2-6, you unlock the ability to roll for equipment in the equipment gacha, which I've previously talked about in another mechanics post about the gacha system overall. There's no real need for me to rehash what I said there, other than the fact that that's your main source of high-end equipment.

So what is equipment anyway? It's stuff that you can equip onto your T-Dolls to enhance their combat abilities, duh. Every T-Doll has 3 equipment slots, which unlock at level 20, 50 and 80 respectively. Equipment, like T-Dolls, come in rarities from 2-star to 5-star. These rarities, too, have level requirements. 2-stars (white) require 20, 3-stars (blue) 30, 4-stars (green) 45 and 5-stars (gold) 60.

There are 3 different types of equipment slots, Accessories, Ammunition and T-Doll Body, and what combination of slots a T-Doll has is dependant on their class. For example, (nearly) all ARs have an Accessory slot, an Ammunition slot and a Body slot in that order, which means an AR can only equip a Body item at 80. There are further restrictions within each slot type as well. Sticking with the ARs example, they can equip Exoskeletons, but not Camo Capes in their Body slot, despite both being Body equipment. There are T-Dolls that can circumvent these restrictions, but they are few and far between and I'll mention them when they pop up (3 of them are AR team members!)

Here's a quick rundown of the various types of equipment:

Accessories
: Optical sight/crit scope/VFL. +crit chance % by a lot, and is usually your best bang for your buck. Everyone except HGs can equip them. Standard use on ARs and RFs, along with some MGs.
: Holographic sight/EOT. +damage and accuracy, -RoF. Again, can be used by everyone except HGs, but is usually used by off-tank grenadier/molotov SMGs and some MGs.
: Red dot sight/ITI. +acc by a lot, slight -RoF. Like the other sights, can be used by everyone but HGs. Generally only used by some MGs, SGs and off-tank DPS SMGs to offset their naturally low accuracy.
: Silencer. Slight amounts of +eva and +crit. Can be used by ARs, RFs, SMGs and HGs, but generally only on HGs and main-tank SMGs due to the other two having better options (crit scopes yay).
: Night battle equipment/PEQ. We haven't run into night battles yet, but they have a nasty and massive accuracy debuff that can only be dealth with by equipping these PEQs. Can be used by everyone but RFs and MGs, but generally you only bother putting them on ARs and DPS SMGs/SGs/HGs.

Ammunition
: High-Velocity ammo. +damage. AR exclusive, packs a massive punch, and what else are you going to put in that slot anyway?
: Hollow-Point ammo. +damage, -armour pen. HG and SMG exclusive, usually only bother equipping if they're meant to be DPS.
: Armour-Piercing ammo. +armour pen. RF and MG exclusive. Once we start meeting armoured enemies, it will be pretty darn useful. Note that it doesn't increase damage in the slightest against non-armoured foes.
: Buckshot ammo. +damage and +crit damage. One of two (two!) SG exclusive ammos. With 0 downsides, it's pretty much the default SG ammo of choice.
: Slug ammo. - 2 targets, *3 damage, +acc. The other SG-exclusive ammo. Used whenever you want to condense your SG's damage down to one target, which is pretty much never because you want your SGs to hit and push back as many targets as possible to keep them away from your damage dealers. They also don't work with most DPS SG skills, so don't bother. The only T-Doll with any business using slug ammo is USAS-12, and even then only user very niche circumstances. Don't bother, in general.

T-Doll/Body
: T-exoskeleton. A lot of +evasion, but -damage. Can be equipped by ARs, HGs and SMGs, but you generally only want these on your main SMG/HG tanks. Do not put these on ARs other than as a joke (or if you're using M16).
: X-exoskeleton. +eva, but not that much. It's the T-exo without the damage penalty, but with much less evasion. Slap them on off-tank SMGs/HGs. ARs if you have spare I guess.
: Camouflage cloak. +crit damage, -movement speed. Exclusive to RFs, and the only thing they can equip in their Body slot anyway. The damage is great, but the movement speed penalty is crippling if there are any mechanics that require movement. Use on a case-by-case basis.
: Ammunition box. +ammo count, -eva. MG exclusive. What else are you going to put there anyway? Maths works out to be a DPS increase for all MGs, even the ones with trigger-on-reload skills. Evasion penalty is negligible, and they shouldn't be getting hit in the first place anyway.
: Armour plate. +armour, -eva. SG exclusive. They reduce damage, that's about it. A no-brainer to slot. Interestingly there's no 2-star variant of this, just like SGs.

: Chip. They're special. All chips are unique equipment, with wildly different effects, so can't really be talked about as a whole very well. See below for more about unique equipment.

Unique equipment/special equipment/speq

These are special variants of normal equipment that can exclusively be equipped by the T-Doll(s) stated in their icons. They tend to have better bonuses/smaller penalties as compared to their normal counterparts. Sometimes they're even completely different and game-changing. They can't be built from the gacha. Instead they are either limited drops from night maps or are event rewards. Some are worth grinding your rear end off for, others... not so much.

So, you've got equipment now, but you notice the stats aren't quite the same as the maximum. How do you improve them? There are two methods:

Equipment enhancement (unlocked after Chapter 1-4 Night)

This is a similar process to T-Doll enhancement. You take fodder equipment you don't want and feed it to equipment you do want to make it stronger. This can be found under the Research tab on the main page.

Just like T-Doll enhancement, here's the selection screen. I'll just pick something that needs enhancing (as you can see, I have many 5-stars that need enhancing).

As you can see on that bar below, this crit scope is currently at +8, nearly +9, and has a certain multiplier of the base stat(s). All enhancing does is increase that modifier, rather than the base stats.

Here I've selected a 4-star Red Dot sight to gobble up. You can see how many enhancement points you'll get from the fodder you consume on the bar below. Unlike dolls, retiring equipment that's 3-star or higher gives no exclusive rewards like cores, and they add more enhancement points per rarity, so it's better to just use 3/4/5-stars you don't need as fodder. Also, equipment of the same rarity and type give bonus enhancement points (I think it's x3?).

One important note: unique equipment takes x3 the amount of enhancement points to get to each enhancement level as compared to a normal piece of equipment. Enhancing unique equipment is a very long grind, and is only realistic if you have a constant source of equipment fodder coming in.

Equipment calibration {unlocked after Chapter 2-4 Night)

Calibration is the other method of improving your equipment. Whilst enhancement increases the stat multiplier, calibration actually increases the base stats of the equipment, albeit via a very infuriating RNG method. The calibration UI can be found right below enhancement in the Research tab.

Here I'm picking something to calibrate. Anything without that blue MAX label that you saw on some of the 5-star equipment earlier is eligible for calibration (the MAX just means it can't be calibrated anymore, duh).

Here's what it looks like when I've selected a piece of equipment with 3 stats to calibrate. As you can see, calibration also minimises equipment stat penalties. What calibration does is shift about the %s of the stats, occasionally increasing them as RNG dictates. So, for this EOT, we have a % stat distribution of 50/0/50. As I calibrate, this will shift about in various ways, so it might go 75/25/0, or 0/100/0, or 50/50/0 etc. Sometimes it'll even just stay at 50/0/50. You can rollback a roll, but there's really no point to it. The total % will never actually go down.

Occasionally, when God decides you are worthy, the % total will tick up. You'll get lucky and go to 75/0/50 or some such, until eventually you're at 100/100/100. There's bad luck protection in the formula somewhere that says that you will max calibrate a piece of equipment within 24 rolls or so. But at what cost?

Why, calibration tickets and resources, of course. Calibration tickets are a relatively rare resource, with the main source being the Defense Drill combat simulation (I'll get into this in another mechanics post, but suffice it to say that it's a bit of a pain in the arse). At best you can get ~100 tickets a day if you do it twice daily, but realistically you'll only do it two days a week or so (again, I will get into why later). Your first calibration roll on any equipment costs 5 tickets, 10 for the second, and 15 for all rolls after that. If you have bad luck, this adds up really fast, and ~200 tickets a week is nearly nothing if you have a bunch of equipment that needs calibrating. Sometimes they're an event reward, but don't count on it. Every roll also costs resources, as you can see, so max calibrating everything is very much a long-term investment. You can calibrate equipment of rarity 3/4-stars, but I usually just stick to 5-stars.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 13, 2019

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Ask me about being the idiot who fully enhances three special equipment and half of one and only used two of them. :v:

(AW ranking was harder than it should have been because I could have had a lot of +10 golds instead.)

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Galaxy brain takes on some equipment:

Tank SMGs should use suppressors because they're already destroying their meager damage output with T-exos--better to emphasize a strength than to cover for a weakness.

MGs with the always-critting Hunting Impulse skill, as well as Shrimp-like DPS SMGs, can get quite a bit of output from EOT holographic sights compared to critscopes, if and only if they're supported by accuracy-boosting tiles or fairies.

In general however, two specific MGs, PK and M2HB, should be using red dot sights.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The rule-of-thumb accuracy score breakpoint people usually give is 30 or 35.
M2HB can't reach that without red dot. I think PK can if there's acc boosting fairies involved.

And of course it also assumes you're fighting average-evasion enemies at day.
(If it's night then if they're armored it's gonna be irrelevant and if they aren't your accuracy will be in the toilet anyways so go with max deeps anyways)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Galaxy brain takes on some equipment:

Tank SMGs should use suppressors because they're already destroying their meager damage output with T-exos--better to emphasize a strength than to cover for a weakness.

MGs with the always-critting Hunting Impulse skill, as well as Shrimp-like DPS SMGs, can get quite a bit of output from EOT holographic sights compared to critscopes, if and only if they're supported by accuracy-boosting tiles or fairies.

In general however, two specific MGs, PK and M2HB, should be using red dot sights.

- Whoops, SMGs completely slipped my mind somehow.

- Hunting Impulse gives +accuracy, so I tend to put EOTs on them anyway. As for DPS SMGs, I don't actually use that many, but for sake of convenience I usually just go with an ITI.

- I normally run PK with an EOT, but that's because I usually have +acc tiles on her. I do agree on M2HB though. If anyone's interested in the maths of MG scope selection, someone's already done all the heavy crunching.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Chapter 2 Emergency, Part 1: In Memoriam

A new login screen tells you how long it takes me to get an update out. It's starting to be summer I guess, so this is the handgun K5 in a swimsuit done by her artist Lpip (not particularly NSFW). Amusingly, whilst there are swimsuit skins in the game (what gacha game doesn't?), K5 doesn't actually have one herself. The artwork itself is several months old on the older servers so who knows if it's a super-early costume preview.

I don't know if I've shown off what the emergency stage selection looks like, but it's a nice shade of red.

Chapter 2-1e: Field Samples I

: ...
: Hi, you're Type 97, right?
: *nods*
: I just wanted to thank your team for helping to save me from Executioner. I hope that we can keep working together to find the rest-
: You're M4A1, right?
: Yes?
: Why couldn't you have shown up earlier?
: Huh?
: Because of all your sneaking and running about, we had to go find data about you. Because of that, my sister got some SF virus.
: She's dead now, and all because you didn't have the sense to just leg it to the closest Griffin base.
: Look, I'm sorry about your sister, but-
: Shut up! I don't want to hear it! I don't want to hear your excuses! Can they bring my sister's digimind back?! Can they?! Just, just go already! Just leave me alone!
: ... I'm sorry. That was out of line.
: It's ok. If they're anything I can do to help-
: There isn't. Sorry, but please, just, leave.
: ... Alright, then.

Type 97 curls up in her chair, quietly crying by herself in the break room.

Music: Room

In a tactical control center in Area S09 under Griffin jurisdiction...

: I'm calling today because I need you to take care of something.
: First of all, don't worry - this is a closed channel.
: Persica this sounds highly illegal.
: Second of all, don't worry - I'm not asking you to do bad things.
: Persica this sounds HIGHLY illegal.
: The thing is... I need some samples of dummy units.
: Sangvis... and Griffin units. I need both.

: They've been fighting all this time, there must be quite a lot of scattered parts.
: Please get me some - for research purposes.
: There... might be Sangvis Ringleaders lurking about...
: Those are a Ringleader's dummies. They're activated when a Ringleader is destroyed...

Music: GREENLIGHT.A

: Ok, ladies, this one's a bit grisly. We need to gather as many dummy links as we can. If we can't find any damaged dummy links lying about, we'll just have to make some. Preferably SF ones.

: That is a bit grim, Commander, but we'll try our best.
: Dibs on arms!
: Micro Uzi, please don't make another arm castle in the dorms.

: M4A1, thanks for coming along on this mission.
: It's fine, Commander Gentiane. I needed to clear my head a bit, anyway.
: Although I will say, SOPMOD II would find this mission much more fun than I do.

: Will you be alright by yourself in the north, Miss M4?
: I'll be fine, thanks. And just M4 is alright.

: Kar, clear out the south. M4, make space in the north.

Music: GREENLIGHT.B

: Wow, having a second dummy link is great!
: I'm glad that you're all handling them well. It'll be a while before your digiminds are ready for a third though.

Whilst I was playing, I noticed that the chibi sprites are their uncensored versions (see - AS Val's chibi bikini top). Yes, I am recording the LP on the censored version. You're not missing out on much except for more skin.

: Hey, Commander?
: Oh, hey 97. You feeling alright?
: Yeah, thanks. Can I speak to Miss M4 for a bit?
: Uh, sure. Here.

: ... Hey, Miss M4.
: ... Hi, Miss 97.
: I'm... I'm sorry about earlier.
: No, it's fine. You've been through a lot lately.
: No, I mean, like, blaming you for it all and everything. That was... too far. I'm sorry.
: Apology accepted.
: You're still looking for your squadmates, right? Good luck.
: Thanks.

: Not to bust in on your heartfelt conversation, but your helipad is surrounded, M4.
: I did notice, Commander.
: It's fine. I need to head off now anyway. Bye, M4. Thanks, Commander.
: Bye, 97.
: Ciao.

: Those are some nice flowers.
: Yeah, they are. Do you know what they are?
: Nope. I just wanted to pick some for 97.
: Good idea. Let's go flower picking!
: Yay!
: Girls? Girls! Really bad timing!
: We have incoming!

: Now, what have I said about getting distracted before a fight?
: Sorry, Kar.
: Well, at least we managed to beat them. And we got a lot of flowers now.

: (I hope 97 is doing ok right now.)
: (M16, what would you have done?)

: Now, tie the ribbon around the base of the stem after trimming it...
: Papashan, not you too!

: Nearly done with this area, ladies. Remember to pick up those spare parts!
: (... Way too many eyeballs for my liking.)
: En garde!
: No fencing with SF legs, please.

: Hey, 97. Finally found you.
: Suomi? You're back!
: Yep. AUG, Shrimp and the Commander filled me in on what I missed. Oh, yeah, I ran into AS Val in the corridor. She asked me to pass you this.
: A... bouquet?
: Yeah, she said it was from everyone at Team Kar.
: Anyway, wanna tell me why you're up on the roof?
: ... It was the first place Sis took me to have lunch when I joined Griffin.
: Ah. The view's pretty nice up here, yeah.
: 95 talked about you a lot, you know. Before you joined.
: Did she? Geez, I hope she didn't tell you the aquarium story.
: She told me the aquarium story.
: Dammit.
: What did you guys do before joining Griffin, anyway? 95 didn't talk about that much.
: Hmm? Oh, we were just clerks at an office. Not a very big company. Sis left the company and joined Griffin about 2 years ago.
: Heh, I remember her first day pretty well.
: Yeah, she told me about it the first time she came home during her holiday.
: She was really good about coming home for the holidays...
: Need a handkerchief?
: No, I'm fine, thanks.
: Well, if you ever need one, you can always ask me or AUG. Hell, even Shrimp is good to chat to once in a while.

: Oh geez, it's starting to rain. Hey, 97, let's head inside.
: I think I'll stay outside for a few more minutes.
: Are you sure?
: ... Sis loved the rain.
: Ah. Well, don't stay out too long, then. You'll get water damage. See you inside.
: See you, Suomi. Thanks.
: (Hey, Sis? I think it's going to be OK.)

97 looks down at the bouquet, a card nestled among the flowers reading "To Type 97, from Team Kar".

: (I'm not as alone as I thought I was.)

Music: Home Formation

... Combat over.

: As expected of M4A1's trusted commander. Hats off to you...
: Heheh ♪
: As you've probably learned, I'm M4A1's boss.
: Still, you actually found her. That's really... brilliant of you.
: I won't say any more for now. It's not the right time, and it's not important at the moment.
: M4 is safe. That's all that matters.

Kalina's report: The Commander has accepted Persica's request to collect parts of Sangvis units as samples for experiment.

Next: My Sister

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 22, 2019

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
:unsmith:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Ringleader dummies sure explains why we're able to farm bosses over and over again. :v:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Danann posted:

Ringleader dummies sure explains why we're able to farm bosses over and over again. :v:

Predatory gacha monetisation idea: Limited number of boss clears, :10bux: to reset.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Chapter 2 Emergency, Part 2: My Sister

Chapter 2-2e: Field Samples II

: *munch*
: *munch*
: Thanshf for havin lunsh wiff me.
: No broblem.

: Do you want some schnitzel?
: Hmm? Oh, no thanks. I have enough jiaozi here for myself.
: Oh, good. Your sister always stole mine.
: Huh. She did? She always told me she hated fried foods.
: Did you cook for her much?
: Hmm... Yeah, I guess I did.
: She probably didn't want me making too much fried chicken or something after that last time. *sigh* You could have just told me to make less next time, Sis.

: Oof, I'm full. Thanks, AUG.
: For?
: Well, I got to know a bit more about my sister, I guess.
: There's a lot she didn't tell me about herself.
: No problem.
: I'm going to help Kalina with errands. Do you want to come along?
: I think I'll pass, thanks.
: Alright then. Take care.
: Bye.

: (Wish Sis could see this sunset.)
: (It's beautiful.)

Music: Frontline

: Yep, here I am again. Am I a welcome sight?
: Same old request. More samples.
: Oh my... What research is it?
: You can say it's a research [sic] that'll be useful for Griffin.
: This was where you engaged a Sangvis Ringleader before, right, Commander?

Amusingly enough, this is not a map where we fought a Ringleader.

Watch out, SF are actively transporting in troops to their helipads here.

I got a bit lazy here and didn't move Val back (that and my mouse is on the fritz). She gets more DPS from not having to move, so I can't complain too much I guess.

: You know, Miss M4, I never did thank you for helping me out all those months ago.
: ! I'm really sorry for leaving you behind...
: No, don't be! Miss Skorpion and Miss STG 44 and me all managed to get out fine, thanks to you. If you hadn't come and taken over command for us, we would still be stuck in the snow...
: Well, I'm glad you and the rest made it out ok.

: You never told me that you were stuck somewhere for a while without a commander.
: I don't really like to talk about it.

I got lazy again, this time with AK47. Maybe this strategy would be better if these ARs were level 80 and I could put X-exoskeletons on them for extra evasion. Although at that point, they wouldn't exactly be having issues with this map.

I would have liked to secure that middle helipad, but movement RNG on the part of the SF mobs meant that they captured both the nodes around it, preventing an easy cap. Would have meant one less mob spawn too.

: So how are Skorpion and STG 44 doing?
: They're doing fine. Miss Skorpion had a bit of a fun workout a couple of weeks ago fighting SF by herself.
: Oh... I-is that so? Glad to hear that she's doing well, at least.
: Mhm. I'm sure that she'll be happy that you enquired after her, Miss M4.

Now this was just experimenting to see how much damage the ARs would take on the front line.

On SF turns, spawning helipads with enemies already on them can spawn another mob after the ones on top move. It's a good thing to consider if you're low on rations/ammunition on an echelon.

Lazy again. Val is usually top of the DPS charts.

I made a mistake at the very start of the map. On the turn after I called both echelons in, I should have resupplied Kar's echelon by swapping her with M4 who was still on the command post, which would have saved movement points. Now Kar is stuck near a bunch of enemies with only one ammo left and no friendly helipads nearby. I decide to just end it with M4.

: (I guess I did do the right thing back then, if those girls are alright now.)
: (I'm glad. I'm really glad.)

Those sniper guys in the back are Jaegers. High accuracy, hard hitting and tend to be in the back with tanks in the front protecting them. Try to take them out as quickly as possible. RFs are a good choice thanks to them targeting enemies in the back first. Grenadiers are another decent option, as they tend to not have much health. They'll do a number on you if you don't get rid of them fast.

: Hey kid.
: Hey, Shrimp.
: What the hell are you doing up here?
: Dunno, just thinking.
: Huh. Head in the clouds, classic.
: What about you? Not many people come up to the roof.
: ... Just thinkin'.
: Join the club.

: Y'know, I'm pissed.
: Why?
: Your sis pulled a fast one on me. Went and died before I could pay her back for Zagreb.
: Zagreb? What happened in Zagreb?
: Your usual bodyguard job. Heroics and poo poo. Your sister pulled me and the kid out of a really tight spot. SF and ELIDs everywhere.
: "The kid'?
: Oops. Forgot to say that Kar was the kid back then. Anyway, the two was us were surrounded, and then BAM! Tits McGee swings in outta nowhere, spewing lead all over the place.
: Yeah, that sounds like her. Always coming in at the last moment with exactly what you need.

Shrimp stretches her arms above her head.

: Y'know what? I've figured out how I'll repay her.
: How?
: I'll just save your rear end the next time you're in trouble.
: If you think that'll help.
: Yeah, well, it's a bit too late to help her proper, y'know.
: Brr... It's loving freezing up here. I'm heading downstairs.
: Wear a proper shirt next time.
: Yeah, yeah. See ya later, kid.
: Bye.

... Combat over.

: Hmm? Why... don't I get in touch with M4...?
: I'm just lazy. No reason, really.
: I have no use for her at the moment anyway. Just say hello for me.
: Why... am I not using her?
: Because I have you, haha...

: It's all right. You'll understand, Commander. Probably...

Kalina's report: Persica doesn't seem keen on contacting M4A1, even though she's given us all sorts of aid off the record in finding her...

Next: A T-Doll's Guide to Grief

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jun 30, 2019

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Why are our t-dolls programmed to feel how cold it is outside and be noticeably affected by it? :v:

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

45x Jaeger hit squads are probably the single most dangerous thing in this game.

Its probably why they were SFs most popular product...

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Danann posted:

Why are our t-dolls programmed to feel how cold it is outside and be noticeably affected by it? :v:

Persica :v:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Chapter 2 Emergency, Part 3: A T-Doll's Guide to Grief

: Heya, 97.
: Oh. Hi, Kar.
: Admiring the view?
: Yeah.
: Gotta admit, it's great from up here.

: How're you holding up?
: Fine. I think.
: That's good, that's good.
: Kar?
: Yeah?
: You were on the team before I joined, right? With my sister?
: Yeah. It was pretty fun. She was a really good mentor to me.
: Why'd you leave the team then?
: Would you believe that 95 recommended me for the post when it opened up?
: ... That sounds like her. Leading a team never was her thing.
: Right? I was pretty hesitant at first, but she talked me into it, and well, the rest is history.

: So, 97, what are you going to do now?
: What am I going to do now?
: Well, yeah. You can't exactly stay up here on the roof forever.
: What I'm going to do now, huh?
: I... I hadn't thought about that at all.
: I don't really know.
: Hey, Sis, what should I-
: ... I don't know what I'm going to do, Kar. *sniff* I don't know.
: *sob* I don't know, I don't know, I don't know.
: Hey, hey. Come here.

Kar hugs 97 gently.

: Kar, Commander Gentiane is looking for you.
: Ah.
: Hey, 97, hon.
: It's ok, I can take care of her. 97, sweetie, let's head downstairs, ok?
: *sniff* O... okay.
: Thanks, Papashan. Take care, 97.
: You too, Kar. Ok, 97, I have some pierogi that I'm about to cook. Do you want some?
: Yes, *sniff*, thank you.
: Alright. Let's just close this roof door first.

Chapter 2-3e: Field Samples III

: The Sangvis troops here have been upgraded...
: But that's not gonna be a problem, Commander, is it?

: Thankfully this is going to be a quick in-and-out job.

: Hey, everyone.
: Suomi!
: You're okay!
: Papashan is busy taking care of 97 for a bit, so Suomi will be subbing in for her for a bit.
: Yup. Looking forward to working with you guys.
: And thanks for the concern, you all. I mean it.

: Urgh, Jaegers. Hate these guys.
: Not a fan? I appreciate their riflework.
: Bit hard to do that when I'm the target. This face is still new!

Suomi's tiles point towards 1 and 7, so I shift AK47 and AS Val backwards. This does mean that Suomi gets no tile buffs for herself though. Eh, she'll be fine.

: Hey. You're that girl we've been looking for for ages, right?
: Sorry about that.
: No, no, it's fine. Just glad you're okay.
: ... Thanks.

I'm surprised that Kar topped the DPS charts for this battle. Probably a case of crit procs.

I was actually kind of worried here. Dinergate swarms can be tough to deal with even with a full team of 5, and M4 can only shoot so fast. Remember, if an enemy makes it past the left side of the screen you lose the battle and your echelon retreats, no matter what. Luckily, T-Dolls have the preternatual ability to shoot behind them, giving you a bit of extra time to deal with any enemies that make it through your lines.

: Whew. Wish SOPMOD II was here.
: She one of your friends?
: Yes. She likes to use the grenade launcher attachment on her gun a lot.
: Ah. I can see how that would have been handy.

: Let's head home before any more dinergate swarms show up.
: Yeah, I kinda want to check up on 97 anyway.

It's crit city today for Kar.

... Combat over.

: Oh, Commander. Well d...

: Ah! M... M4!
: The commander told me, so I have come to see you.
; I'm sorry... It was all because of me that you...
: Please do not say that.
: We were merely carrying out our employer's orders as T-Dolls.
: Hmm...
: Well, you're safe now. Applause applause.
: Yes. The commander is very good to me. I will continue serving under Griffin.
: By the way...
: M4A1, I'm so happy... to see you again...
: ... *smiles*

Outside Kalina's office...

: Go on. I'll be here to back you up if you need it.
: Thanks, Papashan.

97 knocks on Kalina's door.

: Alright, I'm coming, I'm coming.
: Geez, who's knocking at this time of night?
: Oh, hey, 97 and Papashan. What d'ya need?
: Umm... Miss Kalina?
: Yeah?
: I have a favour to ask. A really big favour.
: Well, I'll try my best. I'm the logistics officer after all.

The helicopter lands near the grassy field where the battle with Executioner took place.

: 97! YOU'VE GOT FIVE MINUTES!
: OKAY! THANKS KALINA!

97 runs off into the field.

: Geez, I should have grabbed a jacket before I said yes.
: Haha, sorry about that. It was a bit last minute, wasn't it?
: Yeah, well...
: Can't really say no to her, can I? Besides, I think this would help her.
: Me too.
: I'M DONE! WE CAN GO NOW!
: ALRIGHT, WE'RE TAKING OFF THEN!

In the middle of the field, a rifle has been placed barrel-down into the ground, a granite slab resting against it with a message crudely carved on it.

"QBZ-95, Beloved Sister.

Thank you."

: Heya guys, it'll be about 20 minutes to-
: Shh!

Papashan motions to her right. 97 is fast asleep on her shoulder.

: Heh. Cute.
: I'll make sure that it'll be smooth sailing from here on.

Kalina's report: M4A1 got in touch with Persica and dispelled Persica's sense of guilt for issuing her previous request. It's nice that she no longer feels burdened.

Next: My Sister and Me

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Chapter 2 Emergency, Part 4: My Sister and Me

There's a new loading screen but it's full of swimsuits so I'll just link it due to mild NSFWness here. This art was done by Imoko (95% SFW), one of Mica's resident artists, who did G36, one of my personal favourites. We'll run into her soon enough. She's a really good artist! Check her out.

Chapter 2-4e: Field Samples IV

: Heya, 97.
: Oh! Hi, Commander.
: Mind if I sit down?
: Sure.
: Alright. Tea or coffee?
: Uh... tea, please.
: Good, I needed that coffee. Here.
: Thanks.
: Ah, hot!
: Hah! What kind of commander would I be if I gave my workers cold tea?
: What kind of a commander indeed.

: How's everything going?
: Better, I guess. I'm feeling better.
: Oh, good. That's good. *sips coffee*
: Commander?
: Hmm?
: Do you have any brothers or sisters?
: ... Yeah. Older sister.
: Oh, what does she do?
: She passed away a long time ago, so being dead, I guess.
: ! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-
: It's fine, 97. Really.
: ... Can I ask how?
: Car accident. Nothing anyone could do about it. I was ten, so wasn't much I could do either.
: Why'd you ask, anyway?
: I was just curious. Noone on base really knows that much about your personal life.
: Hmm. Is that so.
: Well, feel free to ask away.
: What was she like?
: What does any kid think her older sister was like? She was the best. Cool, patient, kind. A right pain in the rear end sometimes.
: Sounds a bit like Sis.
: Heh. Yeah, they probably would have gotten along.
: Probably.
: Do you miss her?
: Commander? Are you okay?
: Hmm? Oh, yeah, I'm fine. It's just pollen.
: I kinda need to head off, mission coming up soon. See you later, 97.
: Oh, alright. See you later, Commander.

: Please refer to the map...
: Ah, sorry. My channel seems to be in the way...
: But... it's roughly around here.
: ...Hmm? What samples?
: I'll tell you later. It doesn't matter for now.

Music: MADE IN HEAVEN

: Hey Gen, you're right on ti-
: Whoa! Gen, are you okay?
: I'm fine. It's just pollen. *sniff*
: Okay, ladies, this is our last run for Persica, but let's not mess about just because of that.
: Remember that there's an Executioner dummy running about.

: Let's go with a standard opening formation. Kar, take the vanguard.
: Yes, Commander!

: Thanks for coming along with us again, Suomi. Papashan got stuck with kitchen duty today.
: Oh, it's no worry. I kinda want to shoot Executioner anyway.

I do a resupply on Kar's echelon, just in case.

: I'll clear out the south a bit.

: I guess we'll go straight for Executioner then.

: Everyone ready?
: Ready!
: Oh, I'm very ready.

Not much significantly different from regular Executioner. She comes with a couple of Jaegers now, and hits harder. No actual mechanical differences.

: Ah, you Griffin losers are back. Enjoyed your sleep of the dead?
: You're one to talk.

: Ow.

: Well, that felt pretty good, shooting her in the head.
: Glad you got that out of your system.

: Well, thankfully the commander made me get some skill training during downtime, or this shiny new chassis would have taken a lot more damage.

I had upgraded Suomi's evasion+ skill between updates thanks to having a bunch of data, and her being useful in an upcoming event. It pays to be prepared!

: Hey, Kalina? I think the command console is broken.
: Oh, it does that sometimes. Just give it a really good thump.

Sometimes, when you input a command too quickly, this happens. It's a pain in the arse to log back in again, so give yourself some time after coming out of a battle before pressing anything else, really.

: Oh, it's working again. Status update?
: Getting swarmed by a group of dinergates, Commander.

: Anything you can't handle?
: No, I'm good, Commander. Thanks.

: Might as well clear out more of the area whilst we're here.

: I'll get that heliport to the south.
: Stay safe, M4.

: (I probably need to take out an insurance policy on this body or something.)

: What do you think Papashan is cooking for lunch?
: I just hope it's not pork pierogi again. Negev gave me a good talking to about that one.

: I feel like wrapping this up. What do you think, ladies?
: Yeah, I'm getting pretty hungry.
: Agreed.
: If you say so, Commander.
: Alright, Kar. Head straight for their command post, if you will.

... Combat over.

: Heheh. Curious, Commander?
: It's nothing special. Just a study...
: .... To compare Sangvis T-Dolls with our own.
: The conclusion is that... the technologies used in building them are... almost...

: Just how... are Sangvis units made...?
: And what does it have to do with that plan the AR Team found in Safe House 3...?
: ... Ah, nothing. Just talking to myself...
: In any case, thanks for your help, Commander.
: Take care of M4. If more T-Dolls show up, do the same for them...
: Then... See you, Commander.
: Next time, I'll treat you to coffee for real.
: I believe that's gonna be sooner than you think...

Kalina's report: We've fulfilled Persica's request, but initial analysis reveals great differences between the technologies behind Sangvis and Griffon T-Dolls. How on earth did Sangvis Ferri come to be?

: Sure you want to be around for this?
: I'm sure.
: Well, just remember, she might look like her, but she isn't her.
: ... I know. I just think I should be here for this.
: Well, if you insist, I won't argue.

There is a large capsule in the middle of the room. Gentiane steps over and presses a few buttons on a console near it. There is a hiss of pressurised air and sublimating dry ice, and the capsule opens. Out steps a young lady in a white dress, her long black hair waving in the slight breeze.

: Good day, Commander. I'm Type 95. Starting from today, I will be putting forth my best effort under your guidance.
: Hi, 95. Good to have you here at Griffon and Kryuger.
: Thank you, Commander.
: And you are...?
: Hi, I'm Type 97! Starting from today, I'm going to be your big sister!
: Big... sister?
: *shrug*
: Yep! And you get to be my little sister! Smaller number, see?
: And... what do I actually have to do as a little sister?
: Well... you've gotta let me praise you! And... try the food I cook! And...
: And...
: *sob*
: G-give me a hug, when I need it...
: A-alright.

The sisters hug, 97 crying into 95's shoulder.

: I'm glad you're my sister.

95 smiles.

: I'm glad to be your sister.

Chapter 2 fin.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Aw. :unsmith:
So nice with some closure.
Even if it's the slightly weird kind once you think about it.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'm not a robot psychologist but this resolution seems like a different way of moving on from loss than a human would!

Also there is one recent doujin book out there that suddenly makes a lot more sense given this fanfic material

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Aw. :unsmith:
So nice with some closure.
Even if it's the slightly weird kind once you think about it.

Look if you're not happy I can take this closure back to the store and return it :colbert:

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I'm not a robot psychologist but this resolution seems like a different way of moving on from loss than a human would!

Also there is one recent doujin book out there that suddenly makes a lot more sense given this fanfic material

Future problems require future solutions. Although, who knows, maybe it'll work out, maybe it won't. I'm not a robot psychologist either :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Look if you're not happy I can take this closure back to the store and return it :colbert:

Who said I was unhappy with it? :colbert:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Imoko dotes on her gungirl maid really hard and does a lot of wholesome artwork.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Chapter 3, Part 0: A Brief Interlude...

Somewhere, out in the Balkan peninsula...

: Come, come, a toast!
: Um, Mosin, should we really be drinking before going on patrol?
: Yes, yes, is fine. I do it all the time.
: ... If you say so.
: It's fine, Mosin's vodka isn't super strong usually.
: Usually.
: Can I skip?
: No, everyone does one shot at least!
: Fineeeee.
: You know, the commander won't approve of this.
: Bah, commander is far away, and the vodka is here. Come, take the glass.
: You are staring at the glass, but you are not taking it.

Lee picks up the shotglass gingerly.

: If anything goes crazy today I will be blaming this on you, Mosin.
: Less complaining, more toasting our new echelon!
: Youngest first!
: Uhh... Prost.
: 건배!
: Cheers!
: Cheers.
: Будем!
: *gulp*
: ! *pffffffft*
: Akh! It burns! So bad!
: Oh, golly gee, that's a lot stronger than it usually is.
: Jesus Christ, Mosin, what the gently caress is in that shite?
: Huh, it's definitely stronger than regular vodka. Let's see...
: "95% Spirytus"
: Bleeeeeeeh. Oh god I can still taste it.
: WHAT?!
: 95... percent...
: Oh, Springfield, you got me good stuff. You shouldn't have.
: What are you even doing with that crap?
: Well, I'm gonna drink it.

Mosin chugs some spirytus down.

: Paaaah, that hits the spot. Anyone else want some more?

Twenty minutes later...

: ... And then I bash the little shite around the head. Bam! Broken neck, dead! It was great.
: Oh, wow.
: Oh, c'mon, Lee, don't tell them the scary stuff. Don't you have any fun stories from the battlefield?
: Well, uh, I dunno. Mosin, pass me some more of that... uh...
: Spirytus.
: Sirilus, yeah.
: ... Hey, guys. Guys.
: Hmm?
: Guys.
: What?
: It's a van.
: A van?

An abandoned-but-still-decent-looking van is parked on the side of the road.

: Why'd we want a van?

The engine roars to life as K5 turns the key in the ignition.

: Huh, still works. Who would leave this nice Mr Van here?
: ... Idea!
: We drive the van! We finish the patrol faster, then we get home in time for tea.
: Hmm... Sounds good. You driving?
: Huh? What? I can't drive. Don't have my license.
: Welp. Can any of us drive?

Mosin downs another shot of spirytus.

: Yeah, I can drive.
: You can drive?
: Used to do East Berlin - Moscow route all the time. Can do it in my sleep.
: Please don't.

: Ok, K5, shoo, shoo. Mosin is driving.
: Accelerator, ok. Lights, good. Brake, eh, acceptable.
: Roadtrip!
: Whoo!
: Yay!
: C'mon, let's go, go, go!
: West Virginia, country mama....

The van jerks onto the dusty road, slowly winding its way across the barren fields, to who knows where. Who knows where, indeed.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well, with a inebriated Mosin behind the wheel this will either end in hilarity or utter disaster.
Also Enfield comes off as very cockney in a way. Which is an interesting contrast to her looking like a prim and proper upper classer.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I love my gun. That ain't oil.

The game that this is a prequel to has a Steam store page now.

LornMarkus posted:

SOP Mod is also another modded AR-15, if I recall right, and is a sadist who takes trophies from the SF dolls like their eye balls and such. I similarly don't know if that's meme-ish enough for some folks.

Soppo is a good dog.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 26, 2019

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cuntellectual posted:

The game that this is a prequel to has a Steam store page now.

Wait, seriously?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

I love my gun. That ain't oil.

Which gun is this?

CommissarMega posted:

Wait, seriously?

It's a remake of Mica's first game which is currently unavailable, I think. At least outside of CN.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Yeah, it takes place something like 15 years after GFL. It's why the ELID creatures are so much funkier; They apparently get stronger with age.

That's about the extent I understood it, at least. I didn't play much because I don't speak Chinese at all.

Ibblebibble posted:

Which gun is this?

Depends, I'm whatever the feminine version of a philanderer is and have oathed four guns. :v:

(Specifically: UMP-9, Soppo, WA-2000 and 416 because she scares me.)

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 28, 2019

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Cuntellectual posted:

Yeah, it takes place something like 15 years after GFL. It's why the ELID creatures are so much funkier; They apparently get stronger with age.

That's about the extent I understood it, at least. I didn't play much because I don't speak Chinese at all.

30 years, GFL is in 2060's and Bakery Girl/Reverse Collapse is 2090's.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Chapter 3, Part 1: Mosin and Lee's Drunken Adventure

Meet the team. Mosin-Nagant is an RF with a miniature nuke. Lee-Enfield is a self-buffing RF that increases her own firepower. M1911 is a HG that has a minor RoF buff and a major accuracy buff on her tiles. Sadly, those aren't very handy for RFs who naturally have high accuracy anyway. She has a smoke grenade skill for extra utility, at least. K5 is a decent buffing HG with +acc +FP tiles, and a funky group buff skill that has different effects depending on the class of the recipient. Her skill only buffs units on her buff tiles though, so Lee is missing out on her skills. Due to the way that those kind of buff skills work though, you can pull some weird movement timing bullshit to buff your units multiple times in one skill activation. Finally, G36c is a main tank SMG who has a skill that lets her ignore all damage for 3 seconds or so. Very handy, but has a massive wind-up time so it's not seen too often outside of niche strategies. Luckily, with the lack of synergy this group has (Mosin generally isn't used outside of a specialised boss-nuking setup), we're going to have niche stratgies out the wazoo.

Chapter 3-1: Clearing a Path

: Hey Gen, we've got a briefing in 5 minu-
: Oh wow. What's with that face?
: Well...

quote:

: ... Do you mind telling me what happened again, Springfield? I just want to make sure I have all the details.
: Certainly, Commander. It started when I was cleaning up behind the bar...

quote:

: Hmm hmm hmm, la dee da dee da...
: Huh. Isn't this... the vodka I was meant to give to Mosin?

quote:

: Heya, Springfield. I'm here for my daily bottle.
: Oh, hello Mosin. Sorry, my hands are a bit tied up right now.
: Springfieeeeeeeeld another double rum and coke pleaseeeeeeee
: Coming right up. Mosin, be a dear and pick it up from the back? It's the clear bottle on the 3rd shelf, on the left.
: Okayyyy.

: Oh no, it was the bottle on the right.

: ... And that's why Mosin currently has the bottle of alcohol that I usually use to disinfect the bar.

: Wow, that's a lot of flashbacks.
: Tell me about it.
: I guess we'll just have to be on the lookout for Mosin's echelon.

*beep beep beep*

: Oops, briefing time. Let's go, Gen.

Music: Battle

In a tactical control center in Area S09 under Griffin jurisdiction...

: I received the report about it while I was on the way.
: Firstly, your effort in exterminating Executioner and rooting out Sangvis troops in the area was highly commendable.
: On top of that, you've successfully recovered M4A1 and uploaded a copy of her memory logs, which HQ will start to analyse immediately.
: And now, we need to push our front forward so as to completely eradicate Sangvis influence in the area.

: We need you to prepare for future operations by clearing the road leading to this area.

Music: BEACON.A (The map music for Chapter 3. Like the rest, it's pretty snazzy.)

: So, uh, where are we going again?
: Beats me.
: Ah, whatever. Something tells me that we'll end up wherever we need to go anyway.

: Where are we, anyway? It's just fields and forest everywhere.
: We are exactly where we should be, my dear Jackie.
: We've played this game before, and it was bollocks. I'm Lee, Mosin.
: And where, exactly, is "exactly where we should be"?
: ... Greece? Or was it Romania? *takes a swig* I dunno.

: Why don't we just start driving and see where we end up?
: Ah, good. You are smart. I like smart. Let's go!

: Ooo, Sangvis spotted up ahead.
: How many rubles you want to bet that I can knock over at least five of them?
: Hmm... 10.
: Alright, changing course!

: I'm starting to think that these guys are a bunch of psychopaths.
: I'm sure they're good people.
: Strike!
: ... I think.

Music: BEACON.B (Chapter 3 combat music)

: Drive a bit slower, Mosin. It's hard to hit them like this.
: Bah, just poke your rifle out the window and shoot, Jackie. I do it whilst driving, how hard can it be?
: It's Lee.

: See? So easy! K5, you try!
: Alright, alright, I'll try shooting out the window next time.

: Good news, K5. It is now "next time".

That blue glow around G36c is what her Force Shield skill looks like in combat. Too bad it only triggered right at the end of the fight though. Like I said earlier, it has a really long initial cooldown.

: Well that was... surprisingly fun.
: Good, good, you are learning to shoot good. See, just like Jackie there!
: It's Lee.

: WA2000, I'm counting on you and your team to do a thorough sweep of the area. There shouldn't be any SF forces left when you're done.
: Yes, Commander!
: Oh, and keep an eye out for Mosin's echelon. They seem to have dropped off the map somehow. Just make sure they're ok.
: ... Yes, Commander.
: Dismissed.

: SVD, take up a defensive firing position!
: Alright, boss. Although, I gotta say, there certainly seem to be a bit less SF than we were expecting.
: Huh, strange. Keep an eye out for any potential causes.
: Sure thing.

: Ok, now G36c's turn. You shoot out the window this time.
: A-are you sure?
: Is fine, is fine. Just don't turn around or anything.

: See? Is nothing to be afraid of!
: Although that recoil nearly made her spin about and kill us all.
: Bah, a bullet is just a scratch. Just drink and it'll fix itself.
: You'll have to forgive drunk Mosin, she has a bit of a... unique mindset.
: I can see that.

: Aha, they come for us now! Let's go, Jackie!
: Its-
: Her name is Lee, goddamnit!
: *gasp* Sorry for the swearing.

: No matter what, we have to defend the command post!

: As the boss says, everyone, defensive positions.

: Good shooting as always, boss.
: Hmph. I'm a professional. I'm just doing my job

: Well that was an exciting little maneuver around that corner...
: I think I'm going to be sick...
: Ah, reminds me of that one bend on the road around Warsaw. Good times...
: Mosin?
: Yes, dear?
: Why do you keep calling Lee Jackie, anyway?
: Oh, she just looks like an old friend of mine called Jackie. Haven't seen her in a long time.
: What happened to her?
: Oh, she got tired of all the fighting and abandoned the battlefield. Said it was taking too big a toll on her. The usual, really.
: ... Oh.
: Well, that got dark all of a sudden.

: Ok, we need to keep scouting eastwards and-

*beep* No Sangvis presence detected in the area. *beep*

: ... What? We haven't even run into most of what was reported!
: Seems like their local command post has been taken over as well.
: Any idea on why?
: Not really.
: ... Well, maybe one.
: Mosin.

Combat over. In an unmonitored corner at Griffin Control...

: M16! What happened?
: A few Sangvis units are very close by. I'll have to turn off the comm soon.
: Then long story short, I got away and am currently working under a commander.
: Our troops are stationed near the frontline. We can provide backup for you whenever you need it.
: M16, how is the AR team doing?
: We got separated when I was bringing up the rear. But the were safe the last time we got in touch.
: Leave me for now, M4A1. Find AR-15 and SOP-II first.
: No problem, M16. But be careful yourself.
: Sorry, they're coming. We'll talk next time.

Kalina's report: The commander's performance so far has been acknowledged by HQ: We've been ordered to press ahead and recover all lost territories in area S09.

Chapter 3-2: Intercepted Intelligence

: HQ wants you to give them reinforcement. We will assist you to a certain extent by providing intelligence.
: The AR Team can only safely evacuate if the Sangvis communication outpost in the area is secured and shut down.
: When taking over the outpost, Commander, please upload the data stored in the system. We might find information about the local Ringleader.
: All right, please move out. Godspeed.

: I guess they still don't know about our little Mosin situation.
: I'll take every little piece of good news I can get today, Kalin.

: Remember, we're to keep an eye out for Mosin's crew.
: Too bad that there's all these Sangvis in the way.

: Let's go, let's go already!
: Someone's in a rush.
: All we've been doing is drinking and shooting.
: Well what else do you want us to do? We have guns and alcohol, nothing more.
: I want to drink whilst shooting.
: Nice. I respect that.

: Well we're not finding them without clearing the area out a bit.

: I'm going for it!
: Whoo!
: Yeah!
: G-go Miss Lee!
: Really?

: Bollocks! I missed!
: You got the one next to it.
: It's just not the same, M1911.
: Stupid SF oval office.
: *gasp*
: Боже мой!
: Lee! You can't say that word! This is a PG-13 LP!
: If my babushka was here, she would wash your mouth out with soap. She would also say much worse things in Russian, but it's the thought that counts.

: All I said was oval office, I don't see what the big deal is.
: Lee, please, we have kids here! Kids!
: How old are you two again?
: 1984.
: 2001.
: Kids!

: Alright, alright, I get it. I won't say it again.
: Remember, kids, don't follow Auntie Lee's example.
: If you must swear, swear in a language no one else understands.

: I think you can save the lecture until after we've taken out these SF. We've been talking long enough that G36c's force shield has come online.

: I think we might be lost, Mosin.
: Nonsense, we are never lost. I know Bosnia like the back of my hand.
: I thought we were in Hungary.
: Hungary, Slovenia, it's all the same.

: We just need to listen to what they shout when we shoot them.
: Miss Mosin? SF troops never say anything.
: Well crap, I think we really are lost.

: Still no sign of them?
: Given the last time they got drunk, I think they'll show up on comms chatter when we get close.
: SF echelon spotted heliporting in and heading our way, boss.
: Well, they sure like this place.

: Ok, pit stop time.
: Oh, good, I needed to rest my legs.
: Hey, guys?
: Yeahwuh?
: I found more booze.
: YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

: Wow, this stuff is great! I feel like I can drive forever with it!
: "Brown's Boot Polish" sure is an interesting name for a spirit, though.
: Well, whatever it is, I think it's now narratively appropriate for us to gun for the end of the zone.

: How 'bout one final shootout for the road?
: Sure, let's get those c-
: Ahem.
: ... chickens.

: Still nothing.
: At least we're pretty much free of SF in the area now.

: Is that an SF command post?
: Looks like it.
: Sweet, God finally said that it was okay to move on to the next map.
: ... You know, what
has she been talking about for the past couple of hours?
: *shrug*

*beep* No Sangvis presence detected in the area. *beep*

: GOD loving DAMMIT WE MISSED THEM AGAIN
: Whoa, easy there, boss. We'll definitely find them when we head into the next area of the sector.
: I want a raise.

Somewhere at Griffin Control...

... Click.

: SOP-II! Are you there too?
: We're both fine. We've come to rendezvous after receiving your signal.
: Good. M16 is still on the way, so we are to focus on getting to you first.
: AR-15, shall we make this our rendezvous point?
: AR-15?
: ... Ah, sure. Over.
: What? Wait, wait, wait! I haven't finished talki...

AR-15's hiding place...

: Also, now isn't the time... to keep up communication.
: Huh?
: AR-15... You mean...
: That's right... Our call was being monitored.
: We're targeted... by someone dangerous...
: Wait! Where are you going?
: Don't follow me, SOP-II.
: You have your own mission - to meet up with M4.

Kalina's report: As we move, M4A1 has been contacting other members of the AR Team, from whom she was separated during a certain mission.

Next: The Gang Discover What Sex Is

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 10, 2019

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The plot thickens.

As much as I find SOP-II somewhat endearing that's mostly via fanart because her default semi-CG art is incredibly jarring.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Need more Miss No-Fun-Allowed WA2000 reactions

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Yeah the character art being static and unchanging is a weakness of GFL's story presentation especially during the early game. The later chapters get better in that regard by using CGs to go around it but the static character art still remains.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Danann posted:

Yeah the character art being static and unchanging is a weakness of GFL's story presentation especially during the early game. The later chapters get better in that regard by using CGs to go around it but the static character art still remains.

The most you get are different expressions for the main characters, and even that's hardly a wide spread.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So... is Mosin and Jackie Lee's Big Drinkin' Adventure™ over?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

So... is Mosin and Jackie Lee's Big Drinkin' Adventure™ over?

It's just getting started :getin:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Chapter 3, Part 2: The Gang Discover What Sex Is

Chapter 3-3: Covert Reinforcement

: I am taking the liberty to brief you on this operation as a member of the AR Team. Please pardon the presumptuousness.
: Apart from me, the AR Team is comprised of three other T-Dolls, two of which are our current reinforcement targets.
: Our objective is to fend off Sangvis troops in the area so that they can transit to the rendezvous point.
: Even though I have only come under your command recently, your previous operations have convinced me that you are an outstanding commander.

: I keep telling you, that's how it is.
: Are you thinking I am a stupid motherfucker?
: No, I'm serious, that's what I heard.
: You are telling me that a human woman has a factory in her that makes babies?
: Yeah, kinda, I guess.
: Sounds kinda dumb when you say it.
: Of course! How will they get the precision tools in there?

: Well then where do babies come from anyway?
: The central baby plant at Moscow, of course!
: What? All good things come from central authority! And babies are very cute...
: So how do other countries get babies then?
: Do you have a baby factory in London?
: No.
: Maybe some other English city?
: I really don't think so.
: Maybe go look for it then?
: Nah.

: No sign of them yet.
: I'm sure they'll pop up on comms chatter soon enough.

: Well I think babies are sent to couples by God.
: Really now.
: Yes. Sometimes he even sends them to unmarried couples as a test!
: How kind.
: Why are you all looking at me like that?
: Were you raised in a nunnery or something?
: I worked in a church for 10 years.
: Ah.

: These little bastards are the worst.
: Tell me about it.

: Should we just tell them where babies come from?
: No, I kinda want to see where they're going with this.

: Okay, so it's not God, it's not a central baby factory, it is definitely not some stupid stomach assembly line-
: It is!
: -What other ideas we got?
: ... Maybe they're cooked?
: ... What?
: Like, there's a recipe to make babies or something?
: Like, in a pot?
: Yeah!
: ... What other ideas we got?

: Do you think it involves men?
: Nah, I've seen same-sex couples with babies.
: Okay, crossing that one off the list.

: Boss, I'm starting to pick up comms chatter from Mosin's echelon.
: What are they talking about?
: ... Something about babies?
: ... You know, I don't really want to know.

: Maybe it's like birds?
: What, eggs?
: Why not?
: ... You've got a point there.
: Okay, list of potential places where babies come from: eggs.

: Anyone else got any ideas?
: Nope.
: Nyet.
: You kids got any bright ideas?
: Nooope. Not in the slightest.

: Hey, Mosin, why is it sometimes you talk in Cyrillic and sometimes you talk in Roman script?
: I'm just lazy.

: Well, I guess for now we'll go with eggs...
: Hey, wait. Do you hear that?
: I think that's WA2000 on comms nearby.
: Oooh, let's ask her! I'm sure she knows.
: God I wish I had some popcorn.

: Hey, Wawa!
: WHY
: THE gently caress
: ARE YOU DIPSHITS
: CLOGGING UP COMMS
: WITH YOUR loving CHATTER?
: Wawa.
: Wawa.
: Tell us where babies come from.
: C'mon, tell us, we've been talking our arses off for hours about this now.
: ... Seriously?
: You're going to ask me something that embarrassing?
: Just tell us already, Wawa.
: sex
: What? Speak up, Wawa.
: SEX! I SAID SEX, OKAY?!
: God, making me say something like that...

: What the gently caress is a "sex"?
: Wawa, are you thinking we are such stupid motherfuckers that we don't know that "sex" is a made-up word?
: It can't be sex, only married couples can do that.
: That's it. I'm asking the commander for a raise.

: Well that was pretty amusing.
: A bit, yeah.

: So what's this "electoral college" thing?

Under the cover of our troops, M4A1 reached the rendezvous point...

: Hahahaha, thank goodness!
: You had me so worried!
: Phew... I am glad you are okay. Where is AR-15?
: AR-15...
: ...Hmm? What happened to her?
: M4, keep calm and listen to me.
: Our call was somehow tapped by a Sangvis Ringleader...
: AR-15 is disrupting enemy pursuit to buy us time.
: Time? Time for what?
: They... are already en route... to your control center.
: What? You mean... Sangvis troops?
: Yes, the local Ringleader is already on the move.

Kalina's report: The commander successfully recovered SOP-II from the AR Team, but learned that AR-15, who had stayed behind to bring up the rear, was still missing.

: Commander.
: Oh, welcome back, WA2000.
: I want a raise.
: Yeah, you probably deserve one.
: G36, please pen down a note to consider WA2000's recent... "trials" in the next performance review.
: As you wish, commander.
: Oh, and schedule some sex-ed classes for those three dolls in Mosin's echelon.
: At once, commander.

Chapter 3-4: Defensive Operation

: So.
: We're surrounded.
: Yep.
: We've got enough supplies to hold out for a while, though.
: Yep.
: On the other hand, our walls are taking pretty heavy damage.
: *sigh*
: G36, do we have all available dolls on the walls?
: Other than myself, yes, commander.
: Well, lucky you.
: Let's hope that we can hold on until reinforcements come back.

: Commander, there's no time to explain. Get in the car!
: What are you doing? The commander has no plan of escaping!
: Also, we're kind of surrounded.
: But AR-15 said that Sangvis troops are gonna invade Griffin Control soon.
: We can't hold off so many units with just the two of us, M4!
: Do not worry, SOP-II. We are not on our own this time.
: The Commander and all the T-Dolls at the control center will fight together with us.
: Oh? We finally... have companions?
: *nods* Yes. It is what you have always wanted, is it not?
: Are you ready to work hard alongside new companions?

: Huh.
: What is it?
: Apparently there's some trouble back at base.
: Should we head back?
: Nah.

: New game.
: What now?
: Stand out the sunroof, see how many you can shoot at top speed.
: Nice, simple. I like it.
: (Why did I join this echelon again?)

: Mosin! We need to head back to base! Now!
: Ehh, but we're just getting to the good part!
: (God, I loving hate these assholes.)
: Huh? What was that?
: GOD I loving HATE YOU ASSHOLES

: Boss, whilst we're here, we should thin out some SF before they get to base.
: ... Yes, why not. Let's let out some rage.

This actually took a bit of planning out. Whilst I could send Mosin's echelon straight to the enemy HQ immediately, we won't get the S-rank clear from that. There'll be 2 fights on this turn at the very least, then one fight on the SF turn, then one or two more fights on our next turn. There's no way they can capture the helipads on the right, so we'll have to fully resupply first. Good thing WA2000's on the command post and swapping is free.

: Y'know, how did we pull a Hamburg with a car?
: Beats me. Just be glad we did it. Lee, you're up first!

: 10.
: Only 10?!
: Don't we get points for accuracy?
: Isn't this your game?
: Also, no.
: Ah, shite.
: K5, you're next.
: ME?!
: It's easy. Just stick your head out the roof, point your gun at the SF bastards and scream whilst you shoot.
: Is the screaming important?
: No, but it's much more fun.

These guys are new (I think). They're Guards, and they're meatshields. That's all they do. If what's behind them is important to take out ASAP, consider bringing an RF. Their targeting rules means that they bypass the Guards, which is pretty handy. The Guards don't hit very hard either.

: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

: That's the spirit.
: That felt... surprisingly good.
: Me next!

Just like I calculated, we have exactly enough ammo to take out the enemy command post. I love it when a plan comes together.

: You have surprisingly good aim considering the speed we're going at.
: It's all in the wrist action, baby.

: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

: Huh, did you guys know that if you held your rifle upside-down you can shoot things even harder?

: Okay, my turn to shoot.
: But... but who's going to drive?!
: Huh? You can.
: I don't have a driving module installed!
: Neither do I.
: WHAT?!
: How have you been driving this entire time?!
: Hey, guys-
: I just kinda pull the levers and press the pedals and it all works out fine.
: Guys-
: God I can't believe I let an idiot like you behind the whe-
: GUYS! TREE!
: Tree?
: OH CRAP TREE

: G36c! Can you slow us down?
: I don't know which is the brake!
: Oh, this might be a bad time to mention this, but the emergency brake doesn't work.
: It's getting really close now!
: Brace for impact!
: force shield force shield FORCE SHIELD-

The van crashes into the tree with a loud crunch.

Sangvis invasion deflected. Mission accomplished.

: I contributed, Commander! Praise me!
: *sigh* Look at you, wagging your tail only at the commander. Is it really so bad when I give orders?
: Oh my, so even M4 gets jealous?
: I just find the commander the most dependable.
: Fair enough. Then do your best serving under the commander.
: Okay! I'll be good!
: I'll do whatever Commander says as long as... I can tear that 'Hunter' to pieces!

Music: Boss

: Hunter?

: Then... where is AR-15?
: She... drew Hunter away so that I could retreat.
: Commander, Hunter is a wily bastard. AR-15 won't last long on her own!

Sangvis Control.

: My carelessness has put everyone at risk. If I can somehow make up for my mistake...
: The AR Team is a group of Griffin T-Dolls that can operate independently without human direction, and you are part of it.
: You seem so rational you almost come off as ruthless on my record, yet you turn out to be so impulsive.
: I had thought we could understand each other. How disappointing...
: You intel is too superficial. Perhaps it's time to upgrade your database.
: Sure we will. All the problems will be solved once I get my hands on my prey.
: M4A1... Why do you want her so badly?!
: That's not important, AR-15. The point is, you're gonna be the bait that lures M4 here.
: You must pay for your impulsiveness, AR-15.

Combat report: The Command Post was ambushed. We managed to return just in time to defend it thanks to intelligence provided by SOP-II.

Next: Hangover Cure

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

You missed an M4 icon at the Hunter discussion by the way.