Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Of Zelda and Link, which will you main?
Zelda
Link
View Results

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Finish the story today The finale was excellent, but I feel like it might be a bit to gimmicky for a ironman mode. The game isn't as run based as I hoped but overall it's an excellent product and I hope it's the start of Nintendo letting more good indies play with their ip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Really enjoying this so far, with no Necromancer experience.

I died to a bee at one point. GOTY.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How do I kill the red zoras in that one cave room full of fish, zoras, and bridges? I can’t get in position to hit them with my bow or weapon, and I tried using the boomerangs but it just passes over the zoras.

E: Nevermind, I have to open the chest at the back of the room first.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 15, 2019

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I got to octavo last night at the end of my first run and died for the first time since I got a proper weapon.

what on Earth are you supposed to do about the musical notes? They're color coded so I assume you're supposed to swap characters to get through each wave?

The part that confused me was definitely when it started mixing the waves together

This is extra frustrating in single-character runs because you can't switch, obviously.

The leaderboard says I was the 15th to finish single-character permadeath Link which I'm pretty proud of.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
gotta say, i wish there were more characters

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm replaying Necrodancer now after buying it again on switch for $4 and man, there are some real bad soundtracks in there.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm varying degrees of 'eehhh' on all of the soundtracks that aren't the "main three" for the three story characters. Synthwave and deferential minimalistic retro that's supposed to be played alongside the main soundtrack and what have you are all impressive interpretations and variations and stuff but i just want more banging tunes

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

I'm replaying Necrodancer now after buying it again on switch for $4 and man, there are some real bad soundtracks in there.
when you say 'bad' you mean that as in 'bad rear end' right

I'm attempting permadeath runs now and so far the furthest I've gotten is like... five screens. They ramp up the difficulty hard when you can meet enemies that pretty much one-shot you right out of the gate.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Speaking of Necrodancer, I got it on sale for switch and should I go through that before getting Cadence, or are they different enough that I could go back and forth if I wanted to?

EDIT: Also I am smashing my head on Zone 2

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 15, 2019

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Holy loving poo poo where the hell is the ice rod and last two heart pieces?

I've checked all the dungeons/shops, there aren't any chests left on my over-map, and this is driving me up the goddamn wall.

my map and inv here:
https://imgur.com/a/4cNv8oA

Is it possible to just not get certain items? If i'm banging my head on stuff I just can't get, then i'm gonna be mad.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 15, 2019

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of Necrodancer, I got it on sale for switch and should I go through that before getting Cadence, or are they different enough that I could go back and forth if I wanted to?
they're different games, and you don't just "go through" Necrodancer what with it being a roguelike and all :v:

both games are fantastic and you should play both imo

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

also my buddy got this fuckin setup which we're pretty sure is impossible

Spoiler:

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

You could go back and forth, they share base mechanics but differ wildly. One is a roguelike dungeon crawler meant for quick runs, the other is a randomized short zelda game thats also a rhythm game.

In fact, in terms of difficulty, if you wanted a curve cadance is way easier, even including permadeath because it has some really nasty characters you can play as, and its expected of you to try to beat the game playing a character that dies in one hit, can only use a dagger, and will instantly die if you miss a beat.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Deviant posted:

Holy loving poo poo where the hell is the ice rod and last two heart pieces?

I've checked all the dungeons/shops, there aren't any chests left on my over-map, and this is driving me up the goddamn wall.

my map and inv here:
https://imgur.com/a/4cNv8oA

Is it possible to just not get certain items? If i'm banging my head on stuff I just can't get, then i'm gonna be mad.

Sometimes minibosses hold items. Look for the skulls on your map I think. Also the bombchu and bow/arrow games.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Jothan posted:

Sometimes minibosses hold items. Look for the skulls on your map I think. Also the bombchu and bow/arrow games.

I have murdered every miniboss on the map repeatedly. The ones you see on my map have respawned. And I cleared both bomchu/arrow until they gave me 50 rupees instead of items.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I was just unpacking in my new apartment yesterday, and my mom came down to help me out. Great, except she described my merchant plush as, quote, "a little racist"

This is worse than the time I died to the final boss as Aria

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zoig posted:

In fact, in terms of difficulty, if you wanted a curve cadance is way easier, even including permadeath because it has some really nasty characters you can play as, and its expected of you to try to beat the game playing a character that dies in one hit, can only use a dagger, and will instantly die if you miss a beat.
while Cadence is a lot easier, I do wish they would have spread the difficult out a bit more (and hopefully that's something that can happen in an update!)

right now the difficulty is extremely frontloaded, even more so in permadeath mode. At the start of the game you're struggling with little health and a bad weapon, but by the midgame when you've got a few extra hearts and a better weapon the difficulty all but disappears. In my first playthrough I ended with something like 5400 rupees and 250 diamonds :v:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Unlucky7 posted:

EDIT: Also I am smashing my head on Zone 2

If you're one of those people bummed that there's not enough replayability in Cadence, pick up Necrodancer. They're both great for different reasons and complement each other pretty well imo. With it on sale right now, getting both for ~$30 is a pretty good deal.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Deviant posted:

I have murdered every miniboss on the map repeatedly. The ones you see on my map have respawned. And I cleared both bomchu/arrow until they gave me 50 rupees instead of items.

Items that are inside the dungeons won't show up on the overworld map, so maybe double check those if you really want to. That said, I drove myself up the wall for hours looking a few missing things and it seems like it's possible that not every seed ends up with 100% of the items.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Look for sneaky bombable walls?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Items that are inside the dungeons won't show up on the overworld map, so maybe double check those if you really want to. That said, I drove myself up the wall for hours looking a few missing things and it seems like it's possible that not every seed ends up with 100% of the items.

I was afraid of this. See my above picture of my buddy's impossible-to-get heart piece.

Bogart posted:

Look for sneaky bombable walls?

The cave charm should show me those, yes? I don't see any on my map. (Posted link above)

I'll go through tile by tile if i need to, but I don't want to do that.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 16, 2019

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Anyone figured out what the overworld keys are for yet? Lost the first few from dying, haven't seen a use for them yet :/

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

The World Inferno posted:

Anyone figured out what the overworld keys are for yet? Lost the first few from dying, haven't seen a use for them yet :/

dungeon chests and doors

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Deviant posted:

dungeon chests and doors

There's keys in the dungeons tho, so they're just redundant?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

The World Inferno posted:

There's keys in the dungeons tho, so they're just redundant?

You lose them when you die, so extras doesn't hurt to have.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Made it to the castle and I'm not sure if I soft-locked the game?

I have hover boots so I floated and opened the Royal Rapier chest. But after that I couldn't figure out what to do so I warped back to the start of the dungeon. Now I realize you could destroy the projectile-shooting statues -- was there a trigger that would've let me get to the chest and/or a trigger that flipped a switch so I can get to the Link side of the castle? I destroyed the statues afterwards and nothing triggered

I'm hoping I missed something super obvious :|

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Zet posted:

Made it to the castle and I'm not sure if I soft-locked the game?

I have hover boots so I floated and opened the Royal Rapier chest. But after that I couldn't figure out what to do so I warped back to the start of the dungeon. Now I realize you could destroy the projectile-shooting statues -- was there a trigger that would've let me get to the chest and/or a trigger that flipped a switch so I can get to the Link side of the castle? I destroyed the statues afterwards and nothing triggered

I'm hoping I missed something super obvious :|

afaik no one knows how to get to those stairs above the royal rapier yet.

also the opening room has multiple switches so you shouldnt be locked out of either side. they had to design it such that it worked for either character.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

Deviant posted:

afaik no one knows how to get to those stairs above the royal rapier yet.

also the opening room has multiple switches so you shouldnt be locked out of either side. they had to design it such that it worked for either character.

Ah, thanks! Was worried I did something dumb. I can continue on

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Deviant posted:

also my buddy got this fuckin setup which we're pretty sure is impossible

Okay, I just ran into a similar setup and discovered that the Power Glove is capable of throwing pushblocks up to areas higher than your current elevation. I suspect that it'd also be possible to lure an enemy up there and Rito Feather off their head.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I found absolutely everything in my first world except that I'm at 14 total Deku Seeds and I'm not sure where the others could be. I guess I should just scour every cave because I may have skipped over caves on tiles that didn't have purple/blue chests or heart pieces.

I'm also going to bang my head against permadeath mode until we get extra stuff, which I hope is coming eventually. I appreciate that the monster spawns seem a lot harder in permadeath mode.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

I found absolutely everything in my first world except that I'm at 14 total Deku Seeds and I'm not sure where the others could be. I guess I should just scour every cave because I may have skipped over caves on tiles that didn't have purple/blue chests or heart pieces.

Hint: you probably missed something in the lost woods

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Okay, I just ran into a similar setup and discovered that the Power Glove is capable of throwing pushblocks up to areas higher than your current elevation. I suspect that it'd also be possible to lure an enemy up there and Rito Feather off their head.

edit: oh i see. well, i'll pass it along.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 16, 2019

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
If the above hint isn't enough and you want it just spelled out clearly: There's a bombable wall in the lost woods that leads to a cave with 8 Deku Scrubs, it's what got me to 20 to unlock Yves.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I am so confused by Octavo's boss fight lol. Dude whipped my rear end and I would of died if I didn't have a potion.

Real good game and it really does get miles easier when you get a long weapon + one or two more hearts. I died like 11 times at the start then I ran through the entire game, every dungeon etc without dying once :v:

I feel like Octavo was meant to be playable considering his "I'm good guys, really" story.

Though what was up with all the necrodancer stuff in the final dungeon and hyrule castle? I also got a stinger of some darkness rushing to consume the triforce so ???

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Well, that solved his problem. I'm still confused as gently caress as to where my two pieces of heart and Ice Rod are though. I'm gonna have to check every map panel for bombable caves and tingle secrets.

it'd probably take less fuckin time to replay the drat game with a different random seed.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 16, 2019

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Confirmed that the second method does work, and probably lets you really cheese some puzzles. Lure an enemy near where you need them, stun them and push them into position with the hookshot, then use the feather to bounce off their head onto a higher platform.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Deviant posted:

Well, that solved his problem. I'm still confused as gently caress as to where my two pieces of heart and Ice Rod are though. I'm gonna have to check every map panel for bombable caves and tingle secrets.

it'd probably take less fuckin time to replay the drat game with a different random seed.

hasn't been confirmed yet but it might be that some maps generate without 100% of the items and heart pieces, fwiw

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Your Computer posted:

hasn't been confirmed yet but it might be that some maps generate without 100% of the items and heart pieces, fwiw

which would be stupid and frustrating, but shrug whatever.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Is it possible to lose your (non-glass) weapons? I ran into a bit of a bug maybe, it's possible to upgrade your weapon to a version that you already own, and then the weapon seemingly gets deleted but you end up with a number in the corner of the inventory screen. Is there any reason you'd ever need 4 titanium spears? Seems like a weird situation but then again I'm not super well versed on the game so maybe there's a reason for it.

I always just assumed that the non-glass versions of weapons were permanent in your inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I think it's working as intended. I upgraded one of my spears to emerald and then later found a second one in a chest, but I was allowed to turn one of them into obsidian and have one of each.