Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I looked up where I stopped reading Ranma and it was volume 23. I also stopped buying new Inu Yasha at volume 22. So it seems my personal tolerance for ongoing Takahashi series runs out of steam after 20 volumes. You'd think Inu Yasha could maintain interest longer since it has an ongoing story, but it seemed like they were endlessly going up again the main bad guy only for him to escape cackling, rinse, repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I clocked out of Inuyasha way earlier. It never really grabbed me like Ranma did. Looking up a list of arcs, I'd probably have to say Ranma's engagement to Nabiki is probably where I feel the bad/boring arcs start really outnumbering the good ones.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It only took 25 volumes but Ranma stopped and tried to explain himself after a misunderstanding.

It didn't work but still it was an attempt.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
It has never worked. In the first few volumes, both Ranma and Akane tried to explain the fact that they were not engaged by choice to like everyone and it NEVER stuck.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Ranma 1/2, but Ranma and Akane smoke weed and just ignore the stupid bullshit surrounding their life.

Reefer 1/2

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Hey I forgot to post this when it happened but Rumiko is on Twitter now

https://twitter.com/rumicworld1010/status/1399561347424161793?s=20

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Of note, the 2 in 1 gns of Ranma 1/2 go on sale digitally from the 29th.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Where?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Comixology and Amazon at the very least

Covok
May 27, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

Comixology and Amazon at the very least

I see what's going on. They aren't available for purchase yet digitally. So the app doesn't show them but the website does.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Just wanna say thank you. Not so much for Ranma but bringing this up made me look up if Inuyasha VIZBIG was available and it is.

I've been wanting it digital forever but Viz themselves told me Takahashi's Japanese side of things wouldn't allow it. I guess that finally ended.

I did enjoy reading Ranma but IY is much more important to me. Maybe I can also check out Maison Ikkoku now, too.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 5, 2021

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, that whole situation was super weird.

Like they were smilu-pubing Rin-ne (As well as trying to make US Shonen Sunday a thing) when that started, paused it due to the Earthquake / Fukushima Disaster and then it just stopped.

Also they super flew Inuyasha and Rin-ne being available digitally under the radar too ('Yasha got released at the end of 2020). I wonder if someone on the Business Tanaka / Smith side of things is mandating keeping things on the DL?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 5, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

is Rin-ne good? It's so strange to me that a mangaka as famous as Takahashi, and in the wake of Inuyasha being possibly her biggest hit ever, never got Rin-ne made into a bigger hit. I remember hearing it was getting an anime but if that ever happened, it wasn't dubbed I'm pretty sure.

And getting back to Ranma, I read the first couple volumes and watched the first few eps years and years ago.

I remember two things:

1. This OP rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBUZ7w6zxTw

2. In the manga, the dads were by far the funniest characters.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Rinne is quite good, the anime got two or three seasons and the manga is both quite funny and actually her second longest series after Inuyasha (though I only read like, 1/4 of it personally).

The other day I walked into Family Mart and the first Ranma op immediately started playing on the radio. I don't know why a 30 year old Japanese tv theme is playing in a Shanghai convenience story chain, but hey, good Trans Vibes Omens for me.

Speaking of trans stuff and Ranma, I've been reading this and like it well enough
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/vegas-rules-ranma-1-2.89018/

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Yes, this is burned into my soul and I can sing this despite not knowing what any of the words mean. The only other opening that is like that is Cutey Honey.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, I liked Rinne and Mao much more than Inu-Yasha.

I still haven't checked the Inu Yasha sequel.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I wonder if it's okay to turn this into a General Rumiko Takahashi Talk thread or if I should make one...

8one6
May 20, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I wonder if it's okay to turn this into a General Rumiko Takahashi Talk thread or if I should make one...

I'd say turning this one into a general Rumiko Takahashi thread would be a good idea. Before her manga went on sale the only activity in here was me slowly coming to the realization that Ranma was too long by like 20 volumes.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Don't Mind Lai Lai Boy (the first ED) is also super catchy! The first season of Ranma had adaptation issues but the OP + ED were probably the best of the bunch.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

NikkolasKing posted:

You could ask the OP, Rody One Half, If she would be okay with that, but otherwise there's no harm in making new ADTRW threads for any reason. :justpost:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I don't mind, it's not like we've a lot of activity.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well Inuyasha was one of the first anime I ever watched where I was conscious of it being anime. I did watch Pokemon and DBZ (and was obsessed with them like anybody my age) but they were so heavily Americanized that little me didn't really register them as Japanese cartoons. Inuyasha was not only a far more faithful English dub, the show itself was steeped in Japanese culture, history, and mythology. Along with the JRPG Xenosaga Episode 1 I credit it with making me a lifelong fan of Japanese pop culture.

And it isn't just a nostalgia thing, either. I think Inuyasha holds up. It amazes me that people used to complain about how slow the anime was. This was a few years before Naruto and Bleach. Naruto and Bleach showed what a genuinely sluggish, filler-laden anime is like. Inuyasha was paced perfectly. In contrast, I hated Final Act because it was paced so fast I couldn't appreciate anything and they cut out a lot of stuff. With Inuyasha available digitally now, I really wanna pick up where the first anime ended which I think is VIZBIG Vol 13.

Of course, I haven't watched Inuyasha all the way through in many years. It undeniably peaked with Season 2 and 3. All the main players were around, all the intriguing relationships and their drama had been introduced, but none of it had been driven into the ground by repetition yet. Like the stuff with Kohaku is great! But Takahashi did it again and again an again. I know some people think Naraku is part of this stale repetition but he was the least of the problems IMO because he did reinvent himself with new powers and forms. He and Inuyasha were sort of in a war of ever-escalating power-ups as compared to your Freeza's or Aizen's who just start out infinitely stronger than the protagonist. Naraku actually began the series weaker than Inuyasha or Sesshomaru. I see the same sort of "the villain grows with the hero" thing in MHA but I like Naraku way more than Shiggy.

Speaking o MHA, I feel like, looking back, Inuyasha was ahead of its time. It feels like the huge arcs - your Chunin Exams, your Cell Sagas, etc. - are out of fashion, replaced by much snappier little arcs that last a few episodes at most. That was how Inuyasha was all the way back in the late 90s/early 2000s. I remember a lot of people who otherwise disliked Inuyasha liked the Band of 7 Arc and it was by far the most traditional battle shounen part of Inuyasha. It was like 20-something episodes, had a villain team that rotated in for new fights, and culminated in Inuyasha finally beating the head honcho. Before that, arcs in Inuyasah were like...5 episodes generally, if even that. There was absolutely no Goku vs. Freeza/Yusuke vs. Younger Toguro/Kenshin vs. Shishio/Gaara vs. Rock Lee. Even major fights lasted like 2 episodes. Because Inuyasha is first and foremost a drama. Like, some people excused the end of Naruto with "what did you expect of Kishi, he didn't think about relationships and romance, this is a battle shounen." Well, even if that explanation holds up for a lot of battle shounen, Inuyasha is 70% character drama and 30% action. The romance is its major appeal and focus, another thing that probably made it popular to hate. "DBZ for girls" and all that.

I always thought Inuyasha had the best collection of EDs I've ever heard in an anime. To this day "My Will" hits me with a tidal wave of nostalgia like almost no other song, and "Dearest" is possibly my favorite Japanese Pop song ever. Almost all of them are amazing, it's just those two stand out for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwCmnbAtwZo

I'm never sure, when talking about favorite shounen protagonists, if Kagome counts. She's no Naruto or Goku or Deku, and Inuyasha is right there, but Kagome felt to me just as important to the show as him and she's a character I've only grown to appreciate more with age and talking to girls who really did identify with her as great and realistic representation. And that music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs2kA1KWKbM

\Okay, think I'm done gushing now.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Rody One Half posted:

Speaking of trans stuff and Ranma, I've been reading this and like it well enough
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/vegas-rules-ranma-1-2.89018/

I really enjoyed this. There's a bit of fanfic tropes in it (honorifics, nosebleeds) that will always annoy me, but it's well written and I want to see how the journey unfolds.

Some spoiler talk, but it always strikes me just how lovely Ranma's life is once you strip away the veneer of comedy hijinks, and using a throwaway gag from early on the series to spark that realization in her was a very nice touch

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

NikkolasKing posted:

I always thought Inuyasha had the best collection of EDs I've ever heard in an anime. To this day "My Will" hits me with a tidal wave of nostalgia like almost no other song
My Will is so ridiculously catchy and emotional, definitely one of the strongest EDs I can think of, and the way it cuts to the whirling ferris wheel light pattern as the chorus hits is just :discourse:

Covok
May 27, 2013

My first few episodes of Inuyasha were midway into Season 2. I caught it late night on Adult Swim. Back then, I'd use the portable TV my parents got me with the sound at 5 out of a 100 and my ears next to the speaker to watch these shows. As such, I get the rush of nostaglia from Fuka Mori: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKt8_o1a9Cw

It kind of helped that, since I came in so late, I didn't know who Sesshōmaru was and was legitimately trying to figure out who he was the whole time. Or I should say "she?" See, I thought Sesshōmaru was a girl. I actually thought it was Inuyasha's mother, now that I think about it, since I noticed the family resemblance but she looked older. I was legit shocked to find out Sesshomaru was a cis guy.

As for Ranma 1/2, my older brother illegally downloaded all of the episodes on some like 30mb video files. Back then, internet files were like .avi and were like made for 600x800 screens and were poo poo af resolution. I honestly do not know how we managed. Now a days, if I see something in 480p, I gawk. I remember getting super into the idea of turning into a girl at will and thinking that was awesome and how much I'd want to do that and how it isn't a curse. Of course, all cis guys think like that. No way is that a weird thought.

So, anyway, twenty years later I realized I was trans.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh-lPvHehUw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSLk-8MBYTg

I really loved when they started doing the "Feudal Fairytale" thing in the openings. Dunno why but it's so incredibly charming and I think sums up Inuyasha perfectly. It's not the best series ever, or the deepest, but it is a sweet, instructive romance.

Helps that OP4 and 6 (Angelus) are my favorites.

I always felt the Inuyasah dub was criminally underrated, too. I wonder whatever happened to Moneca Stori... She was the original and perfect voice for Kagome but she just vanished so far as I know.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hi I don't usually frequent this forum which is a shame because I love animation and it looks neat but I twigged to this thread's existence through posts elsewhere and I just wanted to pop in and say Ranma was a huge weird part of my late adolescence. Collecting the translated manga through trips to Barnes And Noble in the era before you could just buy stuff on the internet became a quest for me for several years, and I was that kid when I went to college with posters of the wall-eyed crew all over.

And then in the last couple years I read a long blog post recently breaking down a lot of the trans coding in Ranma and yeah, it explained a lot. Anyway time to go read this thread from the beginning <3

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hey I enjoyed reading that blog post. Even for non-trans people Ranma is a really refreshing read for the how it plays with gender and body type switching, especially for the curious and impressionable young teenager I was when I read it. It's fun to think about what it would be like to inhabit the other sort of body, though I gotta say being a guy is just so much more convenient.

Though while I was reading more I came across this article that takes the opposite view of Ranma’s trans coding. The above article goes into more detail and with more specific pages cited, whereas this one seems more general. It seems the series is hard to parse for the trans narrative and if Takahashi was actually intending any of this
https://www.animefeminist.com/ranma-1-2-and-the-anything-goes-school-of-accidental-trans-narrative/

Ccs fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 21, 2021

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Ccs posted:

Hey I enjoyed reading that blog post. Even for non-trans people Ranma is a really refreshing read for the how it plays with gender and body type switching, especially for the curious and impressionable young teenager I was when I read it. It's fun to think about what it would be like to inhabit the other sort of body, though I gotta say being a guy is just so much more convenient.

Though while I was reading more I came across this article that takes the opposite view of Ranma’s trans coding. The above article goes into more detail and with more specific pages cited, whereas this one seems more general. It seems the series is hard to parse for the trans narrative and if Takahashi was actually intending any of this
https://www.animefeminist.com/ranma-1-2-and-the-anything-goes-school-of-accidental-trans-narrative/

If nothing else, this article is a good reminder that while Ranma 1/2 does some interesting stuff in terms of trans/GNC coding, it is terrible in regards to sexual orientation and trauma, and I doubt Takahashi thought any harder about that other than "haha wouldn't it be funny if manly-man Ranma had a crippling fear of house cats?"

After reading a few modern Ranma fanfics on the forum Rody One Half shared earlier, I went back and re-read DB Sommer's 1997 fanfic Shampoo 1/2. While the newer stuff reflects more on how the authors view Ranma 1/2 in the more modern Western views on LGBTQIA+ issues, Shampoo 1/2 reflects a lot more of the source material and what the above article was talking about; it plays around with gender dynamics, but the attitudes towards abuse and pan/homosexuality that a lot of the characters have in the source material is still there. Fortunately there is some pushback against that in the fanfic (more so against trauma/abuse than the homophobia), but there's no real reckoning for most of the characters with those viewpoints.

I still enjoyed it, though; there are parts of it that haven't aged well and are very much of the time, but it also has interesting ideas that I liked a lot

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Takahashi's stance on whether Ranma can get pregnant is "I didn't think about this and neither should you," which speaks to where her head is at, because it's emblematic of all the questions that one just couldn't possibly NOT ask.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I 100% believe that Takahashi's entire thought process was "What would be funny at this moment."

That fact that Happosai exists at all feels like proof of that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

8one6 posted:

I 100% believe that Takahashi's entire thought process was "What would be funny at this moment."

That fact that Happosai exists at all feels like proof of that.

Every so often I am reminded Happosai exists. Afterwards, the world feels a tad colder.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I hate that character. Did Inu Yasha have any terrible characters like that? I can't remember.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Covok posted:

Every so often I am reminded Happosai exists. Afterwards, the world feels a tad colder.

I've stalled out at like vol 27 of the manga because there's just so much of the little poo poo.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

He really seems like a character that is just universally reviled. As a villain he's not even fun to hate. I wonder if at the time he was more popular which would explain how much he showed up but even twenty years ago he felt gross and a drag on whatever plot he was involved in.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I like Happosai in a love to hate him sort of way. He's a terrible, terrible character, and I definitely am not surprised that the most common reaction to him nowadays are people piling on to say how much he sucks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

At the time she was writing Ranma, Dragon Ball had already been out a few years and been a mega hit and Roshi has all the creepy old man of Happosai only with a heroic twist when he's not being creepy. So yeah, definitely just seemed like a popular thing in Japanese shounen of that time.

Ccs posted:

I hate that character. Did Inu Yasha have any terrible characters like that? I can't remember.

Miroku's thing was groping girls' butts early on but I think he stops doing it relatively early on because he and Sango are clearly gonna be a couple.

Might be wrong but I honestly can't remember him doing it passed the first few seasons. But those are also the season I remember most clearly so....

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ccs posted:

The closest was Miroku. Miroku is bad. He's a character whose whole joke is that he sexually harasses women physically and emotionally. It has not aged well at all. Miroku is not as bad as Happosai but its still bad. The only saving grace seems to be that Takahasi got that pervert characters need to get their poo poo kicked in constantly when they act up to be even tolerable.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

See, Roshi I feel is somewhat worse because he's a "heroic" character. Happosai is not painted as even close to being a good guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Yeah. Watching Dragonball Super where Roshi gets his big heroic sacrifice moment with lots of melodrama about his time training Krillen and Goku and how that made them who they are and then remembering two episodes ago where he threatened to rape a girl is some kind of mood.

Happosai you can just happily watch knowing that every single character in the show hates him as much as you do. Still sucks that nothing they ever do to him sticks, but at least the disdain comes through clear at all levels of the script.