Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
It seems like Gabriel is only the latest in a line of expendable nitwit knights to be run through this gauntlet. The entire gauntlet, werewolves and vampires and all, not just Baba Yaga's music box. Like the parade of "Chosen Ones" in the Bard's Tale. Gabe doesn't have the Bard's self-awareness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

I found the isolated soundtrack for the music box version of Vampire Killer, if anyone's interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsqPtD048to

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I mean the game is implying this journey is Gabriel's deathmarch it's just telling not showing it to us.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Roy and I were thinking on the same wavelength.

pdpreciousroy
Jan 18, 2020
Holy poo poo. Kurieg just made my day.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

theenglishman posted:

I found the isolated soundtrack for the music box version of Vampire Killer, if anyone's interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsqPtD048to
I was this close to setting it up as alarm clock tone on my phone. Then all the associations with The Level came.

e:

Seraphic Neoman posted:

I mean the game is implying this journey is Gabriel's deathmarch it's just telling not showing it to us.
See now this is interesting. Is Gabriel some sort of a chosen one or would any of those knights do?
I suspect the devs never really asked themselves this question given how the game pans out.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 19, 2020

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

See now this is interesting. Is Gabriel some sort of a chosen one or would any of those knights do? I suspect the devs never really asked themselves this question given how the game pans out.

MASSIVE ENDGAME SPOILERS for Lords of Shadow 1 (and a very minor early-game Lords of Shadow 2 spoiler that doubles as a big LOS1 spoiler). DO NOT click unless you've beaten the game or know the full story: Gabriel is God's Chosen One. It's why when he becomes Dracula, he is not affected by religious symbols. Gabriel even explicitly says so when the tutorial boss of Lords of Shadow 2 tries to use a cross on him: "I was like you once. But your God showed me another path. That's why the power of your God cannot destroy me... Because I am His chosen one!"

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 19, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I know that's what he thinks - but suppose any of the other knights succeeded in getting the mask, they wouldn't have his oh so tragic backstory to fall back on, not to mention MASSIVE SPOILERS ALL OVER THIS POST Zobek's and Satan's power plays which both seem dependant on Gabriel as a person and specifically his guilt. So what would happen if someone beat him to it?
I guess the stock answer is literally God moves in mysterious ways but given Gabriel's state at the end, I can't help but feel the message of the story is that God is a dick.

e: I probably remember way too little of LoS2 to make sense out of it.
Also, Dracula definitely can be harmed by holy symbols - crosses, water, the Vampire Killer in the rest of the series so we're getting into parallel universe Draculas territory here. That being said, I remember liking how LoS2 reinvented the character.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 19, 2020

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

I know that's what he thinks etc.

Gabriel believes himself to be God's Chosen One, and really is the Chosen One - even becoming the Prince of Darkness was, somehow, part of God's plan, though Satan manipulating Zobek into cutting off the heavens was not. Any further explanation would get into heavy Lords of Shadow 2 spoiler territory, whereas I want to keep these spoiler tags for LOS1 spoilers only until we start the LOS2 part of the megathread.

Regarding your edit (and immediately breaking my rule about LOS2 spoilers, but whatever): that's strange, because I distinctly remember that cutscene where Gabriel no-sells the cross that Roland tries to throw at him - maybe after the 900-year nap he loses that immunity?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, officially cutting off the discussion until everyone can see how silly it gets, but in the last bit I thinking other Castlevania games, hence the whole parallel universe bit.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Agreed. The whole endgame of LOS1 is delightfully silly, and those who haven't played it deserve to experience it blind without having to scroll through a half-dozen posts blacked out with spoiler tags.

Roy and I are hopefully going to do some more recording tonight, and we're getting closer to the final boss! Meanwhile, I've recorded all the trials and I'm currently working on the DLC, which - gasp! - is bad, but not as bad as I remember. Sorry, anniEhilated.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

I decided to make my unedited gameplay of the music box public, just so those who haven't played Lords of Shadow can get an idea of how brutal this part can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDIoFMLytks

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

It's time for a haunting but interesting level, and then...oh. Oh no. Please don't make me do this, game. :cry:

TRAVEL BOOK UPDATES:
  • New Characters: Update to Pan (The Silver Warrior)
  • New Enemies: Headless Burrowers (forgot to update them last time), Creeping Corpses, Creeping Coffins, The Silver Warrior (under Pan)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I suppose they might look goofy in practice (not how I felt looking at the video personally), but their design looks really cool to me. It's also very different compared to their inspiration from previous Castlevanias.

And with the Light/Dark magic it was inevitable they'd do an Ikaruga.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I felt the new enemies felt more Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark than Goosebumps. Kinda silly, but more unnerving.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's all bonkers from here :allears:

And hey, finally agreed on something: Mecha-Pan is my favorite boss too. It's also very fitting to his character that he is the one who teaches you about the magic countering, making sure that if you beat him, you're prepared for what comes ahead.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

shame he didn't use his wing-blades more, those looked p dope.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

We say farewell to the Chupacabra and hello to a new boss, whose design is...well...you'll see.

I'm currently crunching on a project for a client at the moment, so I'll be able to update the Travel Book once I'm done with that.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That chupacabra showed up maybe 4 times too many.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That chupacabra showed up maybe 1 time too many.

Fixed.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fixed.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Look, guys, I'm serious when I say that the Chupacabra is actually a good character in Lords of Shadow 2. I know it sounds crazy, but you're just gonna have to trust me on this, okay?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

theenglishman posted:

Look, guys, I'm serious when I say that the Chupacabra is actually a good character in Lords of Shadow 2. I know it sounds crazy, but you're just gonna have to trust me on this, okay?

As long as he doesn't keep taking away your powers he'll be infinitely improved.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I kind of expected defeating this Chupacabra would drop him into the lava, and that is why we don't get to see him again.

Gravedigger is a pretty awesome design, though between his Pyramid Head inspired design and the zombies kind of looking like Silent Hill nurses, you can feel the Konami: After Dark theme here.

I mean really, the freshman level "Battle not with monsters, lest ye become one" writing, the well intentioned, but damaged hero protagonist looking for his dead wife, the creepy corrupted landscapes and twisted architecture, nonsensical puzzles... We're really just an air raid siren away from Silent Hill: Wallachia

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Silent Hill: Wallachia
I'd play that.
But to be fair, that analogy works for Castlevania in some ways: you've got the ever-changing castle, Dracula is always rambling about the nature of evil (and evading the question by constantly insisting it's the humans who keep bringing him back), terrified villagers who don't understand what's happening despite Dracula getting revived all the loving time...
The Pyramid Head design here may be symbolic of something, too.

e: Oh, and gently caress everything related to that lava pit.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:36 on May 29, 2020

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

e: Oh, and gently caress everything related to that lava pit.

Now that you mention it, I remember I had a fairly frustrating time with that setpiece on my first playthrough, but it was mostly with the section at the end. For some reason, it never occurred to me that I had to go left, and I thought that there was something behind where the Shadow Gem is on the right in order to progress. It wasn't until I looked up a walkthrough that I figured out what was really going on.

Anyway, just to give everyone a quick update of where we're at progress-wise, there are three levels left in the main campaign, one of which is a quote-unquote "proper" level, and the other two are the final bosses. From there we have the DLC, which consists of five levels.

After that it's on to Mirror of Fate. I really don't like that game, so it will be more of an abridged 2-3 hour LP (I beat the game in two recording sessions over eight hours) that covers the most frustrating, entertaining, and entertainingly frustrating parts of the game, as well as the story beats you need to know going in to Lords of Shadow 2.

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 29, 2020

pdpreciousroy
Jan 18, 2020

CzarChasm posted:

We're really just an air raid siren away from Silent Hill: Wallachia

Slightly off topic, but here we go: There was always a game I wish Konami would have made. A WW2 era Metal Gear where you play as The Boss.
Now there are two games I wish Konami would have made. Thanks a lot.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gabriel is just so angry! Can't you tell how angry he is?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

Gabriel is just so angry! Can't you tell how angry he is?

Zobek's telling it enough for all of us.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Zobek's telling it enough for all of us.

Except this one is arguably even worse: a character telling the audience how a different character feels.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

theenglishman posted:

Except this one is arguably even worse: a character telling the audience how a different character feels.

Also I murdered a character offscreen BUT GABRIEL IS ANGRY NOW AND READY TO DO VIOLENCE RAR RAR!

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

It's the last "proper" level in the main game, and things get...a little bit silly. Whether I should apologize or not, well, that's up to you :)

TRAVEL BOOK UPDATES:
  • New Enemies: Gravedigger, Necromancer, Reaper, Zombie

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

theenglishman posted:

It's the last "proper" level in the main game, and things get...a little bit silly. Whether I should apologize or not, well, that's up to you :)

TRAVEL BOOK UPDATES:
  • New Enemies: Gravedigger, Necromancer, Reaper, Zombie

Oh cool, it even comes with a DanteGabriel Must Die mode enemy

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Oh cool, it even comes with a DanteGabriel Must Die mode enemy

The really funny thing about the Reapers is that, when they appear in the DLC, they're actually nerfed so they kill you in two hits instead of one. It's one of the only concessions the DLC makes where every other change makes it much harder.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

theenglishman posted:

The really funny thing about the Reapers is that, when they appear in the DLC, they're actually nerfed so they kill you in two hits instead of one. It's one of the only concessions the DLC makes where every other change makes it much harder.
Oh, this is actually pretty cool. I assumed it was always two because I didn't get hit by any in this level.

e: This is one breathtaking level. Whatever it faults may be, Lords of Shadow does deliver the spectacle.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 3, 2020

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This cross-over with Celeste is real weird

pdpreciousroy
Jan 18, 2020

Seraphic Neoman posted:

This cross-over with Celeste is real weird

At least we're not carrying Theo.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Man, I played this game with my best friend many many years ago (to the point where I've forgotten most of it), and I think she finally got tired of it during the next boss and so we quit playing it. I had always intended to come back and finish it at some point, but I didn't really how close I was to the ending. Oh well!

Man, with my color blindness I couldn't even see the different colors on the tiles for that one puzzle. We must've just skipped most of the puzzles.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

With all the climbing in this level a question I thought of before came into my head again. I wonder if they had Robert Carlyle do his own grunting voice work though I'm betting not because climbing Gabriel really doesn't sound like cutscene Gabriel at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

With all the climbing in this level a question I thought of before came into my head again. I wonder if they had Robert Carlyle do his own grunting voice work though I'm betting not because climbing Gabriel really doesn't sound like cutscene Gabriel at all.

It certainly sounds like him. The fact that he has entirely different grunts in Lords of Shadow 2 (as well as for the brief portion that he's playable in Mirror of Fate) makes me think they had him do all the vocal grunting (though perhaps not the heavy breathing while running, which sounds like stock sounds). Even Kiefer Sutherland did most of his own grunting in Metal Gear Solid V (most evident in the cut sound files that ChipCheezum showed off in his LP).