Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

doesn’t plex make you janitor metadata endlessly

I just want to play my files, kodi points at an smb share and boom

also, doesn’t plex ask you to pay for a subscription so it can send a list of all your dvdrips of my little pony to the feds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
no and no

put tv shows in one folder and point the server at that and say it’s tv

put movies in another and point the server at it and say it’s movies

(if your poo poo has been downloaded from proper piracy channels it’ll all be named appropriately)

if you want multiple users you need to pay for poo poo but it also doesn’t prevent you using the same single user for the server and multiple clients at the same time

and gfs smart samsung tv has the app installed so we just watch on her tv with no added anything’s

the closest I think I had to janitor it was telling it to refresh the index when new files were added to the server folders rather than just once a day

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

echinopsis posted:

proper piracy

:hai:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

plex is fine with compressed video but cant handle full disks and direct play is extremely finicky

appletv does own, i have no idea why macrumors would say not to buy it right now. theres no technological standard they could possibly be upgrading it to as far as a video playing device goes, except 8k, and theres zero 8k content.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
counterpoint: only nerds play unencoded video over a network

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

counterpoint: only nerds play unencoded video over a network

whats wrong with NDI now ?? gonna use that for the ranch TV some day lol

really tho,

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

plex is fine with compressed video

what non-compressed video are you playing?

like i have a 96TB NAS full of direct blu ray rips and that poo poo is still obviously VC1 or AVC/MPEG-4 off the disk

hell even recording video from a camera down to prores is still somewhat compressed, i can't recall touching uncompressed HD video in the purest form other than interconnecting broadcast gear with HD/3G-SDI

Sniep fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 26, 2020

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Sniep posted:

whats wrong with NDI now ?? gonna use that for the ranch TV some day lol

really tho,

what non-compressed video are you playing?

like i have a 96TB NAS full of direct blu ray rips and that poo poo is still obviously VC1 or AVC/MPEG-4 off the disk

hell even recording video from a camera down to prores is still somewhat compressed, i can't recall touching uncompressed HD video in the purest form other than interconnecting broadcast gear with HD/3G-SDI

thats a nice nas

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sniep posted:

i have a 96TB NAS full

library of congress sneip

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Gentle Autist posted:

doesn’t plex make you janitor metadata endlessly

I just want to play my files, kodi points at an smb share and boom

also, doesn’t plex ask you to pay for a subscription so it can send a list of all your dvdrips of my little pony to the feds

this has not been my experience. occasional janitoring yes.

we have a 22 core xeon i got for free from work as the plex server. with 24TB of RAID. its in a friends house with fiber and it streams to like 10 of our idiot friends simultaneously.

it has an ombi web interface to request movies or shows from newsgroups and it grabs them.

you need a plex login acct but it is free.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

echinopsis posted:

i’ve been serving up plex from my out of date windows machine and it works well every time

ok

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I restart computers for a living.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

this has not been my experience. occasional janitoring yes.

we have a 22 core xeon i got for free from work as the plex server. with 24TB of RAID. its in a friends house with fiber and it streams to like 10 of our idiot friends simultaneously.

it has an ombi web interface to request movies or shows from newsgroups and it grabs them.

you need a plex login acct but it is free.

22 cores and nothing good on!!!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the touchpad on my work laptop got disabled and i couldn't convince it to turn back on

ended up restarting it out of desperation. as punishment, it took like 5 minutes to get past the "Restarting..." splash screen

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
lol if you don't hotswap your cpu's

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hotswapped mobos are the newest hotness. leave the cpu ram and video cards in place and swap out the motherboard behind them

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
if every component was dual socketed it could work

the real boring answer is to have 2 computers and use live vm migration

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is that like transferring your consciousness to the cloud

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

brave of him to try it on himself first

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

President Beep posted:

brave of him to try it on himself first

eq

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

movax posted:

22 cores and nothing good on!!!

ha!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
hook my brain into the giant clanging wet flesh churning pig machine forever

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I’m rebooting my neuralink, please resuscitate me in exactly 30 seconds

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
if i had a "list" rebooting my computer would not be on it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I ran my computer overnight. no reboots here, good sir

pram
Jun 10, 2001
james:~/ $ uptime
8:49 up 7 days, 1:28, 2 users, load averages: 1.90 2.45 2.65

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m about 2 weeks away from 100 days and maybe then i’ll treat my computer to a tasty restart

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

yospos favorite ulillillia knows that it's important to update ur computer

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echinopsis posted:

i’m about 2 weeks away from 100 days and maybe then i’ll treat my computer to a tasty restart

be strong. don’t fade in the stretch.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I know, I can only imagine how my reputation will be tarnished if I bail early

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

pram posted:

james:~/ $ uptime
8:49 up 7 days, 1:28, 2 users, load averages: 1.90 2.45 2.65

nice linux

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis posted:

I know, I can only imagine how my reputation will be tarnished if I bail early

don’t do it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
imgur isn’t letting me upload photos so screenshots of me making the post will have to do

pram
Jun 10, 2001
not in it voted 1

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress when will my threads get teh respect they deserbe

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

gently caress when will my threads get teh respect they deserbe

they already are

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Captain Foo posted:

they already are

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

they already are

the system works!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

:two: