Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

the corona quid posted:

It’s a lot more nuanced than that and I think fundamentally the hard left acting like it’s some huge silent majority within the general public that’s consistently failed to materialized as opposed to as a smaller faction and acting more pragmatically has done the bulk of the damage to its own movement rather than any sort of external force. I’d rather talk about why people think magic mushrooms will help them quit smoking though... that’s just me though 🤷🏼‍♂️

Do you honestly believe the hard left has done more damage to itself than any external forces?

Magic mushrooms will help you quit smoking because they will make you experience the perspective of each cell in your body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

it's literally just tcc suggesting lsd for everything

I have heard that mdma can cure libertarians

I know this tcc thing is a funny meme, but in the decade since those posts were mocked and psychedelic-assisted therapy has become

a) a real thing that many scientists and doctors are using
b) poised to be a huge breakthrough in treating PTSD, depression, and yes, addiction (including cigs)

Don't take my word for it, take Johns Hopkins' word. They opened an entire research center devoted to psychedelics.

quote:

“Johns Hopkins is deeply committed to exploring innovative treatments for our patients. Our scientists have shown that psychedelics have real potential as medicine, and this new center will help us explore that potential.”
- Paul B. Rothman, M.D., Dean of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and CEO of Johns Hopkins Medicine.

We have published further groundbreaking studies in more than 60 peer-reviewed articles in respected scientific journals. This makes Johns Hopkins the leading psychedelic research institution in the U.S., and among the few leading groups worldwide. Our research has demonstrated therapeutic effects in people who suffer a range of challenging conditions including addiction (smoking, alcohol, other drugs of abuse), existential distress caused by life-threatening disease, and treatment-resistant depression. Studying healthy volunteers has also advanced our understanding of the enduring positive effects of psilocybin and provided unique insight into neurophysiological mechanisms of action, with implications for understanding consciousness and optimizing therapeutic and non-therapeutic enduring positive effects.

Mind you, it's not as simple as "take LSD, cure depression." You use psychedelics in very controlled settings in conjunction with some very intense therapy. But the success rates using psychedelics for truly suffering patients (like cancer victims with treatment-resistant depression) will give you hope for the world. I could go on and on about this, its all very exciting and a ton of support and research funding is pouring on.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Fried Watermelon posted:

Do you honestly believe the hard left has done more damage to itself than any external forces?

Magic mushrooms will help you quit smoking because they will make you experience the perspective of each cell in your body.

Yes.

I quit smoking cold turkey from a pack a day and I have a hard time seeing how magic mushrooms would’ve enhanced or made that experience any easier.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Magic mushrooms will help you understand that cigarettes do not like to be burned and they suffer greatly as they die, you monster

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

the corona quid posted:

Yes.

I quit smoking cold turkey from a pack a day and I have a hard time seeing how magic mushrooms would’ve enhanced or made that experience any easier.

Do you have a hard time seeing things from other people's perspectives?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
How long do I have to be a feminist before I turn into a chaos dragon? I'm starting to get impatient and Jordo-Pee isn't very clear in the specifics.

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I started smoking cigarettes when I was 15 and quit cold turkey when I was 24.

The first week is a bitch, but cold turkey is the only way you’re going to quit that poo poo. I tried everything else.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I used magick to quit smoking, it was pretty cool tbh

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I quit my first time but I was never all that heavy of a smoker and I can't rule out the influence of hexcraft

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

the corona quid posted:

The wishing death on prominent right wing figures really destroyed the whole advantage the left had and just devolved it into a “us versus them” slap fight.

You can’t really seriously sell social welfare as a societal good imparted onto us through empathy and kindness while at the same time wishing everyone you disagree with dies. It absolutely 100% is a societal good but they’re making it an increasingly hard sell by constantly coming off as just as big assholes as the right is to the general public.

"the left" is not actually a group of people, it's a political framework used by a group of people. The things that people do in service of that framework are separate from the framework itself and can neither legitimise or delegitimise it. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying to you. Anyone who believes them needs to work on their critical thinking.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Call Your Grandma posted:

"the left" is not actually a group of people, it's a political framework used by a group of people. The things that people do in service of that framework are separate from the framework itself and can neither legitimise or delegitimise it. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying to you. Anyone who believes them needs to work on their critical thinking.

utterly meaningless pedantry is also unappealing to most people

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

ok?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Everything is a spectrum of variation and nothing works 100% of the time for 100% of people. Some people can quit smoking cold turkey, some will never be successful without tailing off with the patch, somebody out there will take magic mushrooms and suddenly never feel like smoking again.

Some people clean their room because they were raised that way, some because they'd figured out that living in filth sucks, and some people will never clean their room until a surrogate father figure tells them that it's the key to self-actualizing their manliness and fending off the chaos dragon.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I watched a bunch of Peterson videos at one point and he has repeatedly said "women's lips are reds because of apples" as if the audience's mind is gonna be blown by this non-fact.

How embarrassing.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I'm pretty sure his daughter is the one calling all the shots now. She doesn't want the grift train to stop and iirc was the one making sketchy medical decisions for him in russia

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

I'm Crap posted:

utterly meaningless pedantry is also unappealing to most people

A cruel attack on academia

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Sometimes, the best advice you can be given is to suck it up, and soldier through

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
isn't pedantry by definition meaningless? if it was meaningful detail it wouldn't be pedantic to point it out.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
The platonic ideal versions of "the left" and "the right" are stored in the same hermetically-sealed glass case that holds the prototype kilogram, and so the actions and stated values of the members that constitute either group cannot, therefore, reflect on the correctness or value of these idealized forms, as thoughts cannot penetrate the perfect vacuum environment that keeps them in their pristine state

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Klyith posted:

Everything is a spectrum of variation and nothing works 100% of the time for 100% of people. Some people can quit smoking cold turkey, some will never be successful without tailing off with the patch, somebody out there will take magic mushrooms and suddenly never feel like smoking again.

I dunno, when you hear other ex smokers talk about having cravings for years afterwards I kinda feel like there’s a right and wrong way to quit smoking. I struggled through two years of half assed quit attempts through various methods. It was only when I sat down, thought about it and really arrived at the fact that smoking was making my life worse and I wasn’t really deriving any joy from it any more that it felt easy to give up. I spent a weekend just trying to keep my mind off it and I’ve never really had a craving after that point.

It’s hard for me to really go along with the “different things work for different people” when some people seem to be in absolute misery about quitting. Some ways must be more effective than others in my mind.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
im the ceo of marx corporation

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

lmao just remembering him being on an all meat diet.. what an intellectual lmao :laugh:

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Squashing Machine posted:

The platonic ideal versions of "the left" and "the right" are stored in the same hermetically-sealed glass case that holds the prototype kilogram, and so the actions and stated values of the members that constitute either group cannot, therefore, reflect on the correctness or value of these idealized forms, as thoughts cannot penetrate the perfect vacuum environment that keeps them in their pristine state

The prototype kilogram needs to be sealed because it is an authoritative source for a universally acknowledged truth. "The left" or "The right" represent sets of values. They are both abstract concepts, which are not the same thing as a discrete person or even a group of individuals. It is a very basic distinction!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

the corona quid posted:

I dunno, when you hear other ex smokers talk about having cravings for years afterwards I kinda feel like there’s a right and wrong way to quit smoking. I struggled through two years of half assed quit attempts through various methods. It was only when I sat down, thought about it and really arrived at the fact that smoking was making my life worse and I wasn’t really deriving any joy from it any more that it felt easy to give up. I spent a weekend just trying to keep my mind off it and I’ve never really had a craving after that point.

I absolutely agree that a conscious, self-determined decision is a much better starting point that trying to do things because you feel obligated or pressure from family. My mom's a nearly lifelong smoker. She successfully quit for over a decade when she had kids, but started again during a very stressful time in her life and continued ever since. I think the fact that she quit for an external reason was probably why she went back.

But I also gotta point out: maybe the fact that you'd already tried other things and failed was part of why your self-determined cold turkey willpower was so effective? I dunno.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

toggle posted:

lmao just remembering him being on an all meat diet.. what an intellectual lmao :laugh:

Beef, specifically. So no fish or other proteins that could have had other helpful nutrition. Just beef. Probably overcooked too.

Tarkus V2.0
May 30, 2008
An all meat diet has to be tough on your liver. I like meat but I can't imagine eating it all day every day for every meal. Even the most succulent steaks would be gross after a week.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

toggle posted:

Ah yes changing your whole diet to spite the vegetarians

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Beef, specifically. So no fish or other proteins that could have had other helpful nutrition. Just beef. Probably overcooked too.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Also I feel obligated to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMMW2eqND3o

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I'll be darned, that looks like a chicken breast. My bad.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Who What Now posted:

footage of jorps russian counselling sessions found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eZyspecXJE

Tarkus V2.0
May 30, 2008
Neat video from Creationist Cat about ol' JP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7Z54dgdZqg

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

the corona quid posted:

The wishing death on prominent right wing figures really destroyed the whole advantage the left had and just devolved it into a “us versus them” slap fight.

You can’t really seriously sell social welfare as a societal good imparted onto us through empathy and kindness while at the same time wishing everyone you disagree with dies. It absolutely 100% is a societal good but they’re making it an increasingly hard sell by constantly coming off as just as big assholes as the right is to the general public.

lmao

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Death to anyone and everyone IMHO

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Now that's a message I can get behind

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

N. Senada posted:

Death to anyone and everyone IMHO

youre not wrong

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

the corona quid posted:

It’s hard for me to really go along with the “different things work for different people” when some people seem to be in absolute misery about quitting. Some ways must be more effective than others in my mind.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3506170/

tldr; the longer you indulge an addictive substance/pattern, the more deeply it becomes ingrained in your behavior, also genetics plays a role

quote:

Functional polymorphisms within CYP2A6 have been associated with number of cigarette smoked per day. Variation within the dopamine β-hydroxylase (DBH) gene has been associated with smoking cessation

so you got lucky when it comes to genes and most likely didn't indulge in smoking for decades before hand

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
So glad I don't have the slightest clue who this twerp is. :)

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I hope jordan peterson recovers and gets well. I wish everyone in this thread the best and I hope that you can purge the hatred from your heart and free your mind of this man some day.

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Robo Reagan posted:

lol at goons saying jorp bad then turning right around and saying psychology is bad hope u fellas been cleanin ur rooms

Psychology, while not bad per se, suffers from some fundamental problems. Something like two thirds of peer reviewed psychology studies can't be replicated. There are some obvious methodological problems but I think the fundamental problem is you can't have empirical data about people's minds.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replication_crisis

Who What Now posted:

No ketchup?!