Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Sydin posted:

Yuito is that person you know who will never stop replying on their own so you always have to be the one to stop and end the conversation.

Even looking at his message logs, you just know he's aching to reply when he can't. Like his friends block him until they're ready to talk again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

He's more talkative, yeah. Even when Kasane messages him it's just extremely blunt and he overtypes every response.

Sydin posted:

Yuito is that person you know who will never stop replying on their own so you always have to be the one to stop and end the conversation.

FireWorksWell posted:

Even looking at his message logs, you just know he's aching to reply when he can't. Like his friends block him until they're ready to talk again.

Lmao, this is perfect, exactly what I was hoping would be the case.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Haha the difference is huge. Kasane is just so rude, it's great.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FireWorksWell posted:

There are multiple characters who end messages to him with "you do not need to reply to this" and it's just :allears:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Sydin posted:

There are multiple characters who end messages to him with "you do not need to reply to this" and it's just :allears:

And the best part is that the only person he barely talks to is the girl who's all over him.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I just played what should've been like 3-4 episodes of plot happen in a span of like half an hour and it's really jarring.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Tae posted:

I just played what should've been like 3-4 episodes of plot happen in a span of like half an hour and it's really jarring.

Was it at the old OSF hospital?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

Was it at the old OSF hospital?

And the events that led to it starting with the chase action scene.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I only figured this out while grinding there, but in the ice mountain areas, you can break those giant horse ice sculptures to create a bunch of debris to throw around. Area's a bit lacking in projectiles.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

VanillaGorilla posted:

I think I hit a point with this game that was bad enough to just make me put it down - the....3rd? 4th? fight with Nagi in Chapter 9 of Yuito's playthrough.

Basically, any of the game's fights against human opponents are pretty rear end, but this one takes the cake. If you get in too close, he can one-shot you with his knives (presumably because he fires them shotgun style, and you get hit with a bunch of projectiles). If you stay away you can try to time perfect dodges with ranged counters (assuming you're using SAS Clairvoyance) to knock him down and get some hits in - but he has a metric assload of HP and this takes forever.

Basically it's a long as hell fight and if you gently caress up he punishes you. Oh, and he can fog the arena (which becomes a real pain in the rear end because you need clairvoyance ot hit him anyway) and his dumb sprint makes him basically invulnerable to objects you throw.

The execution of the story and the incredible repetition was already dragging it down past the halfway point. If they're going to cock up the one thing the game has going for it (combat), then fuuuuuuuck this.

So I finally got to this fight and it wasn't this bad? Fight was less than five minutes and he didn't fog the field once, only tricky part was dodging all those tornadoes during his Brain Field phase.

Were you playing on Hard?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The problem with the human fights isn't that they're hard, it's that (at least so far) all of them are really narratively frustrating. Nothing decisive ever comes out of them: you are just constantly fighting the same assholes to endless draws where everybody gets to withdraw having taken minimal damage and having accomplished nothing. Even when it seemed like one fight in particular did succeed for one side as a delaying/distraction action, the other side made it pointless by magically finding the thing they were running a screen for basically immediately after the fight anyway. Then there's the first Nagi fight, which commits the cardinal JRPG sin of "win in the fight, lose in the cutscene" which is as obnoxious as ever.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
They also don't really feel like rival fights, even though they really should. They hit all the requirements (using the same sort of abilities, even going into the super modes), but because the combat mostly feels like flailing around more then anything, it just isn't particularly satisfying.

Overall I'm enjoying the story and the gameplay though. I tried the demo and wasn't too hot on it, but the way they introduce the mechanics bit by bit is for the better. The movement and combo options probably should have been in from the start though.

About how long are each of the paths? I'm currently about 17 hours into Kasane and I've gotta beat the poo poo out of Kyoka and it's hard to really gauge where this is going, since they haven't really given us an ultimate goal.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sydin posted:

The problem with the human fights isn't that they're hard, it's that (at least so far) all of them are really narratively frustrating. Nothing decisive ever comes out of them: you are just constantly fighting the same assholes to endless draws where everybody gets to withdraw having taken minimal damage and having accomplished nothing. Even when it seemed like one fight in particular did succeed for one side as a delaying/distraction action, the other side made it pointless by magically finding the thing they were running a screen for basically immediately after the fight anyway. Then there's the first Nagi fight, which commits the cardinal JRPG sin of "win in the fight, lose in the cutscene" which is as obnoxious as ever.

Kodama was the worst for this on Kasane's side.

Momomo posted:

About how long are each of the paths? I'm currently about 17 hours into Kasane and I've gotta beat the poo poo out of Kyoka and it's hard to really gauge where this is going, since they haven't really given us an ultimate goal.

I cleared Kasane's story in about 21 hours while doing all the bond missions that were available but not doing a single npc sidequest. This was on hard / normal. I dropped it to normal for the penultimate boss and final dungeon because I just wanted the game to end at that point.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Momomo posted:

They also don't really feel like rival fights, even though they really should. They hit all the requirements (using the same sort of abilities, even going into the super modes), but because the combat mostly feels like flailing around more then anything, it just isn't particularly satisfying.

Overall I'm enjoying the story and the gameplay though. I tried the demo and wasn't too hot on it, but the way they introduce the mechanics bit by bit is for the better. The movement and combo options probably should have been in from the start though.

I didn't enjoy them in the early game but after I got used to the combat, I look forward to them more than the gently caress-huge Others.

Yeah, it's refreshing to have a JRPG game with almost no story padding but at the same time I wish they'd expand on certain scenes. Did the demo ever spoil Brain Field, because that was a hell of a surprise in the story.

I'm about 30 hours (save time says 47 hours but I don't really know how much is idle time) of gameplay deep and just unlocked Kasane's party for my team, starting to approach the endgame. I've read the average level to end the main story on is 55-60, so that might be a better gauge than gameplay time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

30 hours, doing quests or something? I just beat it and unlocked at around 20 including idle time.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Tae posted:

30 hours, doing quests or something? I just beat it and unlocked at around 20 including idle time.

I dunno how much time I actually idled, would be great if in-game timers didn't tick while the menu's open.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there some sort of secret ending for clearing both stories or is it just an opprotunity to see more stuff along the way. With how much Kasane's story seems to be the one that drops all the important plot beats I'm not entirely sure if I wanna bother with Yuito when I'm done with hers.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just finished Yuito Phase 5 and I feel like I'm getting into a good rhythm with the combat (though I still take a fuckload of damage and have to use items more than I feel like I should be doing). Getting a tad frustrated with the story in that it's committing some cardinal sins like "characters refusing to just talk to each other and explain what they know." There's no drama in these character conflicts because I have no idea of what Kasane actually wants at this point. I'm confused, not intrigued, especially because it all feels a little contrived.

Also, I dunno if this was weird to anyone else but I just got to a bit where Yuito's squad was telling him not to take his prescribed medication for his severe memory issues, and that's... kinda iffy, imo? Like, I know the source of the medication is incredibly sketchy and untrustworthy, but as someone who takes pills for his hosed-up brain, I dunno if it's responsible to have your characters go, "don't take your medication." I'm probably overreacting to it, it just really stuck out to me.

Still enjoying the game but that aspect is a bit annoying.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Arist posted:

I just finished Yuito Phase 5 and I feel like I'm getting into a good rhythm with the combat (though I still take a fuckload of damage and have to use items more than I feel like I should be doing). Getting a tad frustrated with the story in that it's committing some cardinal sins like "characters refusing to just talk to each other and explain what they know." There's no drama in these character conflicts because I have no idea of what Kasane actually wants at this point. I'm confused, not intrigued, especially because it all feels a little contrived.

Also, I dunno if this was weird to anyone else but I just got to a bit where Yuito's squad was telling him not to take his prescribed medication for his severe memory issues, and that's... kinda iffy, imo? Like, I know the source of the medication is incredibly sketchy and untrustworthy, but as someone who takes pills for his hosed-up brain, I dunno if it's responsible to have your characters go, "don't take your medication." I'm probably overreacting to it, it just really stuck out to me.

Still enjoying the game but that aspect is a bit annoying.

They do give an explanation for her actions and demeanor towards Yuito later on and in the moment she can't talk to him about it. Of course it's frustrating and a little sloppy because she just flies in, fights and then flees when her assassinations fail but you can also tell that none of them really want to fight each other because sometimes they'll call truces ( other than Kasane herself) and teleport to the local bar.

And with his medication I was thinking the same, his brain is really hosed. At that point they're learning just how hosed up everything in New Himuka really is and I saw it as "you have no idea what these guys might actually slip you"

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 2, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

On the latter issue I was more speaking from the perspective of the writers putting that story in the game than the characters very reasonably going "yeah don't take that stuff unless you have to", lmao

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Arist posted:

On the latter issue I was more speaking from the perspective of the writers putting that story in the game than the characters very reasonably going "yeah don't take that stuff unless you have to", lmao

And it's coming from wise, weathered Gemma too. I will say that they do bring up exactly why "don't touch that poo poo" is a bad idea. It's idiotic of course, but it's also human.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

They do give an explanation for her actions and demeanor towards Yuito later on and in the moment she can't talk to him about it. Of course it's frustrating and a little sloppy because she just flies in, fights and then flees when her assassinations fail but you can also tell that none of them really want to fight each other because sometimes they'll call truces ( other than Kasane herself) and teleport to the local bar.

And with his medication I was thinking the same, his brain is really hosed. At that point they're learning just how hosed up everything in New Himuka really is and I saw it as "you have no idea what these guys might actually slip you"

It's literally the same ampule, with the same colored liquid, that they found after Naomi got turned into an other. It's reasonable that, given what they know at that point, they would be a little "medicine? Turning you into an other?" about it.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

We Got Us A Bread posted:

It's literally the same ampule, with the same colored liquid, that they found after Naomi got turned into an other. It's reasonable that, given what they know at that point, they would be a little "medicine? Turning you into an other?" about it.

Yeah. They have every reason to be suspicious even though Yuito desperately needs it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

anybody want the 5 weapon dlc thing they were offering if you joined a mailing list before the game came out? just got an email with it but i told them to give me a ps4 code and ended up buying the game on steam

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yuito chapter 8 spoilers: Man the game really just tilts into full on Nier Automata once you reach Togetsu, huh? Also :lmao: of course we're introducing time travel into all this, just what this plot needed. I am glad that we cleared up all the nonsense though and both teams are working together again, is there any chance I'll get to add the party members from the team into my SAS pool, or does that have to wait until a second playthrough?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Sydin posted:

Yuito chapter 8 spoilers: Man the game really just tilts into full on Nier Automata once you reach Togetsu, huh? Also :lmao: of course we're introducing time travel into all this, just what this plot needed. I am glad that we cleared up all the nonsense though and both teams are working together again, is there any chance I'll get to add the party members from the team into my SAS pool, or does that have to wait until a second playthrough?

Once you've got the other half of the party, the hideout really starts to liven up and it's one of my favorite aspects of the game. Make sure to keep up on gift-giving, each gift fills out the hideout just a bit more. You can double-tap your SAS button to access a second page of SAS powers once you have the other platoon back. It was a bit overwhelming but I really like how it flows together now that I've gotten used to it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Sydin posted:

I didn't realize it was that late for the time traveling plot. You're pretty much hit with it as soon as Seto dies on Kasane's route

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Tae posted:

I didn't realize it was that late for the time traveling plot. You're pretty much hit with it as soon as Seto dies on Kasane's route

Barely related, but I'm curious since I'm still doing post-game cleanup with Yuito, but does Kasane get her Brain Field upgrade before Yutio on her path?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Wow the plot goes 0 to 100 doesn’t it?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

DrManiac posted:

Wow the plot goes 0 to 100 doesn’t it?

Which time?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

FireWorksWell posted:

Barely related, but I'm curious since I'm still doing post-game cleanup with Yuito, but does Kasane get her Brain Field upgrade before Yutio on her path?

I don't know when Yuito gets it, but Kasane gets right after she tries to kill Yuito right in front of the HQ; well really you're introduced to it in that battle and can use it afterwards.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Quick question. I just got to Kasane standby 9.

I have both squads now. My bond level with Yuito and Luca is only 3. Is it just limited there right now, or can I farm gifts to push it higher? I did throw a few extras I could craft at them but it didn't increase.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

Quick question. I just got to Kasane standby 9.

I have both squads now. My bond level with Yuito and Luca is only 3. Is it just limited there right now, or can I farm gifts to push it higher? I did throw a few extras I could craft at them but it didn't increase.

It shouldn't be limited, bond episodes themselves are plot gated but not the bond levels. I think duplicates give much less than giving each unique item once, though, and for some characters once I gave them every unique gift they immediately hit 6. Duplicate gifts are there for the characters you don't bring into active combat.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FireWorksWell posted:

Once you've got the other half of the party, the hideout really starts to liven up and it's one of my favorite aspects of the game. Make sure to keep up on gift-giving, each gift fills out the hideout just a bit more. You can double-tap your SAS button to access a second page of SAS powers once you have the other platoon back. It was a bit overwhelming but I really like how it flows together now that I've gotten used to it.

Okay cool, thanks. Another question: at the hideout there's always a thing in the top corner that says "Team Bond Level 1" and it has stayed at level one the whole game. I've been doing individual bond events and gift giving, but is there something separate I should be doing to level up the bond of the team as a whole?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Sydin posted:

Okay cool, thanks. Another question: at the hideout there's always a thing in the top corner that says "Team Bond Level 1" and it has stayed at level one the whole game. I've been doing individual bond events and gift giving, but is there something separate I should be doing to level up the bond of the team as a whole?

It's still kind of iffy; I've seen some people who say they have everyone at bond level 6 but their team level is at 4. I've had my team bond level go up even with the other platoon bonds at 1, like my team bond level was 3 before the merge.

I'm almost certain that it revolves around giving the unique gifts to everyone as soon and often as you can. After each phase there's a new gift to make for everyone. In the Exchange menu, you can see a checkmark on that character's icon if you've gifted that specific gift to them before.

I won't really know for sure until I start my second playthrough but I believe duplicate gift giving only matters in the situation where you've gifted all uniques to a character but their bond is only at 5 and you weren't using them in combat often enough.

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 3, 2021

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I do hope you get the chance to deck the rear end in a top hat with glasses.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The bond levels seem really weird because I got Hanabi to level 5 well before anyone else, and she's my only level 6, when I haven't been particularly favorable toward her. She just seems to love Kasane for whatever reason.

Dick Wolf
Apr 5, 2009
I'm curious if skill usage increases bond level as well as gifts, etc. Anyone know?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just dealing with the subway and I am slightly surprised at how competent the male lead was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Dick Wolf posted:

I'm curious if skill usage increases bond level as well as gifts, etc. Anyone know?

I don't think SAS does much if at all, but active party members do get bond exp.