Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Target Practice posted:

This is a weird question, but I already have a 2080 I can drop into whatever system. Is there a pre-built option where I can select a "no gpu" option?

You're going to have a hard time finding one that uses gaming-quality components and the PSU headroom to run a 2080. Given that every non-gpu component is easy to get you'll be much better off building.

E: or flip the gpu as mentioned on the last page. That'll probably pay for the rest of the machine itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

You don’t want to cool your cats by a couple degrees?

I’m not sure “cooling cats during a heatwave” by gluing them together is an accepted process yet. Maybe it should be…(I hate cats, they hate me!)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
A 2080 is one of the best cards on the market, given that any RTX GPU is basically a Dragon Ball at this point...

If it were my 2080, I'd just build a $1000 rig around it, something like this:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.94 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($171.48 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($91.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Lenovo)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $987.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-19 02:30 EDT-0400

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Giving my short micro center experience from today. Apparently if you pay the 150 for them to build it, you have access to GPU inventory not on shelves. I enjoy building PCs, but my current 9 year old build is slowly becoming more unstable. Bought a Zotac GeForce rtx 3070 ti for 899. Total build for a ryzen 5, 1tb Samsung m2 ssd, 32gb of ddr4, EVGA 750 PS, Lian Li case, Asus 550TUF Mobo, air cooler was 2100 incl tax.

It was either that or show up every morning at 8am for their lottery. Guy said 200 showed up this morning, and they had 40 GPUs to sell.

Never heard of zotac, but the review consensus is they're good, a little loud, and overpriced like all GPUs.

Here's hoping crypto is dead by the time I need a new one again.

E:. Manager came by and also said that the city was complaining that their parking lot looked like a homeless shelter at 6am when they just did the long line. He also said the scalpers were the only ones who complained when the policy changed.

E2: MC now takes your license when you buy a GPU to limit you to one every 30 days. They didn't take mine as I was rang up at service desk.

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 19, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I have to agree. I was playing games on a 970 and was intrigued about VR, which was what got me interested in an upgrade from my 2015 build. I was gonna be happy with a 20xx card, as I purposefully bought the 970 a couple of weeks right before the 10xx’s were out; I knew this and was able to get a good solid gpu cheaper that way. I was willing to skip a generation and save up for the 20xx series and basically buying the games that wouldn’t play well later when I had cash (as a bonus the game’s themselves would be bargains, too).

Then the 30xx series drop-kicked my plans. And at first, I was thinking it was great! I thought I could now get a solid 20xx for cheap and slowly upgrade pieces as needed. I started too late, though, and by the time I wanted to upgrade my gpu to a 2080, they were gone. And like the giant soda at a movie theater, the 30xx’s were just a bit more expensive and I could be happy skipping the 40xx’s completely while upgrading slowly to match my income.

gently caress it. I (finally) got a decent pre-built with quality parts and a 3070. I blew my budget for the premium, and the single thing I forced on my order was a solid quality psu replacement. I’ll probably get more RAM soon, as well as a better Intel chip that will plug-in to my new computer’s cpu slot.

I honestly feel so much better mentally, even though I won’t be able to afford Squadrons or RotTR until after July 3rd because I dipped into my game budget for my pre-built.

WoW and Skyrim look great, though :agesilaus: . My monitors are big TVs, because I may actually be too blind to see a monitor in a couple years unless I get two corneal transplants, so I am happy with 1080p/60fps anyway. With icons and fonts auto-scaled up 200% :stonk:

At least I have about 10Gb of “internal” HDDs and USB adapters so I don’t worry about Chia destroying the storage industry, too. I’ll probably have to steal a new Lincoln SUV and rip out the (300-3,000!) chips for upgrading my cpu, though.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Yeah, the mc sales rep just told me about chia. All my files are in Google drive, so I just install my steam games. I can deal with "only" 1tb or drop in a second one if I need to.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Yeah, the mc sales rep just told me about chia. All my files are in Google drive, so I just install my steam games. I can deal with "only" 1tb or drop in a second one if I need to.

Yeah I posted a while back that I had a 256Gb SSD for almost 6 years and the day my new computer got here it only contained about 110Gb of data on it. I backed up a couple of times a week to an older pair of HDDs via IDE>usb cords. The only thing on it before it became an OS junkyard battle Royale was WoW and Skyrim and text-type novels and short stories or random thoughts and even a 472 page manuscript is measured in Mb, not Gb. All my pictures and songs are on my phone because I can aircast it to Bluetooth speakers or TV. My family graveyard of HDDs are in the attic, but the only stuff on there i don’t want to lose are scanned photos and 20 year old research and paperwork backups.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
This might be a stupid question and I'm sorry. I have a Z370 motherboard with G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 ram (I copy and pasted this directly from my order history with Microcenter). If I wanted to upgrade to a 5800x and a Asus X570 motherboard, would I need to get new RAM? The x570 says it's DD4 so I don't think I do, but I also don't want cheap out if new RAM would actually be better.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

This might be a stupid question and I'm sorry. I have a Z370 motherboard with G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 ram (I copy and pasted this directly from my order history with Microcenter). If I wanted to upgrade to a 5800x and a Asus X570 motherboard, would I need to get new RAM? The x570 says it's DD4 so I don't think I do, but I also don't want cheap out if new RAM would actually be better.

Nope, that ram is perfect.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Nope, that ram is perfect.

Thank you!

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
I built a PC about 7 years ago with help from this thread for light gaming. I had to replace the PSU a couple years ago and I have a similiar issue once again where the computer is powering up but the fans spin weakly and it doesn't POST. My personal life allows zero time for troubleshooting right now so my plan is to throw a nice new PSU in it, hope that was the issue, and then re-use the PSU next year when I build a new medium-tier gaming computer. Does this sound like a stupid plan??

I know you can't future proof a system but I'm just trying to future proof the PSU. Might do this one: EVGA 750 GQ, 80+ GOLD 750W

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Am I the only person here still rocking a 2500k?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

The sweet spot with ryzen is 3600MHz RAM, but that's just what's optimal. 3200 will still be absolutely fine if you don't want to spend the money.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dr Strangepants posted:

I built a PC about 7 years ago with help from this thread for light gaming. I had to replace the PSU a couple years ago and I have a similiar issue once again where the computer is powering up but the fans spin weakly and it doesn't POST. My personal life allows zero time for troubleshooting right now so my plan is to throw a nice new PSU in it, hope that was the issue, and then re-use the PSU next year when I build a new medium-tier gaming computer. Does this sound like a stupid plan??

I know you can't future proof a system but I'm just trying to future proof the PSU. Might do this one: EVGA 750 GQ, 80+ GOLD 750W

The fan that both PSUs are exhibiting the exact same issue means the PSU was likely not the fault in the first place.

You sure you can’t do a little troubleshooting? Like leave it unplugged from the wall overnight?

Could easily be mobo, CPU, ram, or something else in your system causing a boot conflict.

MonkeyFit posted:

The sweet spot with ryzen is 3600MHz RAM, but that's just what's optimal. 3200 will still be absolutely fine if you don't want to spend the money.

For the 2-3% uplift it’s probably not worth it here.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
You're right, I should at least try playing with the RAM chips. If the mobo or CPU is dead it's going to be tough to troubleshoot as I don't have spares.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

Thank you!

Just make sure the motherboard is finding the proper RAM profile. I have those sticks (well, the 16x2 version), and they ran at 2133 by default on my Asus B550 board because it wasn't automatically pulling their XMP profiles. (Which is an Intel thing, but Asus' AMD boards are supposed to be capable of reading them, I think?) I had to enable DOCP in the bios to get their full 3200mhz performance because the default "auto" setting wasn't doing it. Maybe this is supposed to be obvious, but I somehow managed to miss it for, like, months. :downs:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Just make sure the motherboard is finding the proper RAM profile. I have those sticks (well, the 16x2 version), and they ran at 2133 by default on my Asus B550 board because it wasn't automatically pulling their XMP profiles. (Which is an Intel thing, but Asus' AMD boards are supposed to be capable of reading them, I think?) I had to enable DOCP in the bios to get their full 3200mhz performance because the default "auto" setting wasn't doing it. Maybe this is supposed to be obvious, but I somehow managed to miss it for, like, months. :downs:

Thank you for mentioning this. I built this computer like 2 years ago and I was like "Hmmm I wonder if I have that enabled on my current PC". So I checked my performance test and whelp:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

Thank you for mentioning this. I built this computer like 2 years ago and I was like "Hmmm I wonder if I have that enabled on my current PC". So I checked my performance test and whelp:

It might be right, but don’t trust it.

Check cpu-z. Note cpu z will show you half the speed the ram is actually running at.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

SalTheBard posted:

use cpuz

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
while we're on the topic of "things that everyone misses", if you've bought a higher refresh rate monitor windows 10 does not automatically enable it. you have to right click on your desktop, display settings, advanced display settings and turn it on under "monitor".

if you don't do this your high refresh rate monitor is almost certainly displaying at the default of 60hrz. a few times i've described this in discords or w/e and had someone lurking go "OH MY GOD" so it's worth repeating!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

CoolCab posted:

while we're on the topic of "things that everyone misses", if you've bought a higher refresh rate monitor windows 10 does not automatically enable it. you have to right click on your desktop, display settings, advanced display settings and turn it on under "monitor".

if you don't do this your high refresh rate monitor is almost certainly displaying at the default of 60hrz. a few times i've described this in discords or w/e and had someone lurking go "OH MY GOD" so it's worth repeating!

Hahah I learned about this maybe a year or so ago. It frustrated me because I bought a 144mhz monitor in like 2014 and for 6 years I couldn't figure out how to get it to run at 144mhz. I was watching one of those "10 things to do with your new PC" youtube video and the person mentioned this and I was like "HOLY gently caress THAT'S IT!!!!!!"

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 20, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Actually I was until a couple years ago when my motherboard crapped out. I replaced it with an 8100 because I needed something immediately.

Edit: 4 cores 4 threads still holds up imho

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 20, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Actually I was until a couple years ago when my motherboard crapped out. I replaced it with an 8100 because I needed something immediately.

Edit: 4 cores 4 threads still holds up imho

It still runs everything fine. It even ran Cyberpunk 2077 reasonably well.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Been trying to do a full build for months, but until that actually happens, still rocking a 2500k.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
I was able to pick up an EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra recently via Microcenter. I realized that my EVGA 650w gold ps only has two 8-pin connectors, not to mention I'm probably skirting the edge of power requirements (fake edit, according to this calculator maybe not https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator; but still need more 8-pin PCIe cables). Is a 750w sufficient, or should I go 850w? I plan to OC the 3080 a normal, fan-cooled amount to get the most out of the silicon. My local BestBuy has the Corsair RM750x and 850x available; I could go back to Microcenter and get an EVGA, but I've reports of EVGA power supplies having issues at high loads with this same 3080 FTW3 Ultra, oddly enough. It seems like both have plenty of 8-pin PCIe cables.

And for background, running the 5600x, 16gb RAM, one NVME and one ssd drive. Pretty simple. Probably go 750w if no complaints here.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
It never hurts to go bigger, especially if you want the extra headroom for overclocking. What's the price difference? If it's negligible, go with the 850. I'm currently running a 1000W with a 5800X and 3090 FTW3 Ultra. And I plan to overclock on watercooling.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Siroc posted:

I was able to pick up an EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra recently via Microcenter. I realized that my EVGA 650w gold ps only has two 8-pin connectors, not to mention I'm probably skirting the edge of power requirements (fake edit, according to this calculator maybe not https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator; but still need more 8-pin PCIe cables). Is a 750w sufficient, or should I go 850w? I plan to OC the 3080 a normal, fan-cooled amount to get the most out of the silicon. My local BestBuy has the Corsair RM750x and 850x available; I could go back to Microcenter and get an EVGA, but I've reports of EVGA power supplies having issues at high loads with this same 3080 FTW3 Ultra, oddly enough. It seems like both have plenty of 8-pin PCIe cables.

And for background, running the 5600x, 16gb RAM, one NVME and one ssd drive. Pretty simple. Probably go 750w if no complaints here.

The FTW3 can draw like 400w+ of power in the right circumstances if you push it enough.

The minimum rec is 750w from EVGA. If you’re going to OC, the extra $20 in your $2000+ PC is worth the spend to get an 850w.

Make sure whatever you buy has 3 separate VGA power cables, not just 2x with a split.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I'm looking for a new computer case. My current case is a cheap Corsair that I got around 7 years ago and the fans are beginning to fail on it. I could, of course, replace the fans but I am not happy with how hard it is to put the side panel back on while the case remains upright and in general, I think it's time for a change.

I want a cheap mid or full tower with no RGB poo poo that has side panels that are easy to take off and put back on.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
What do you consider cheap?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

MonkeyFit posted:

What do you consider cheap?

Under $100.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lareine posted:

Under $100.

Much of fractal’s line meets your requirements.

Their newer cases come open very very easy.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Lareine posted:

I'm looking for a new computer case. My current case is a cheap Corsair that I got around 7 years ago and the fans are beginning to fail on it. I could, of course, replace the fans but I am not happy with how hard it is to put the side panel back on while the case remains upright and in general, I think it's time for a change.

I want a cheap mid or full tower with no RGB poo poo that has side panels that are easy to take off and put back on.

Lareine posted:

Under $100.

At the price limit, and full tower, but I really like this case. Having not upgraded in about a decade, it was nice to see what had been premium-tier features now bog-standard.

Easy to work inside. All of the panels come off easily, with big, finger-turn screws, lots of expansion slots (which can be removed for more airflow), and removable dust panels! Has a "best of both worlds" cable management system with lots of big, rubber holes so you can stuff all those cords haphazardly where no one will see, making the viewable area neat and tidy. Plenty of room for big tower coolers or AIOs.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mn3RsY/phanteks-case-phes614pbk

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Conveniences like hinged, easy-open side panels aren't too common in the sub-$100 range. Most good case designers have gotten rid of the old slide-in panel design by this point though, thankfully. On the Phanteks P400A ($70 on newegg), there are four thumb screws on a tempered glass side panel, and it just comes right off. The other side panel behind the motherboard is still an annoying slide-in metal panel, though (which i lost one of the screws to, of course). My one complaint is that there isn't enough space between the top of the motherboard and the top of the case to fit both top-mounted fans and a tower cooler, something that its more expensive follow-up fixes, I believe.

The follow-up, the P500A is much better designed with hinged panels and some improved airflow for $110 on newegg.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 21, 2021

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions. I got one all ordered up and it should be here in a few days. Really, just hearing that they aren't really doing the slide sides anymore makes this an easy decision.

Beast
May 2, 2004
thirsty for justice

punk rebel ecks posted:

Nope. A historic chip. Built my pc using this thread in 2011.

I’m vaguely planning a 5600x build reusing my rx480 because the psu in my current pc is probably 5-6 years old now but as I’m on 1080p monitor it has no issues running anything.... if I do that anyone had experiences of selling parts vs working pc for the old one? I think the 2500k has integrated graphics so I’m not sure it actually would need a gpu if I re sold minus my gpu and storage?

I just want a new pc.

Cloak of Letters
Dec 27, 2006
Ancient prophecy foretells of a processor powerful enough to unite humanity and bring peace to Earth. Is the time of prophecy upon us? Will this be gaming's Citizen Kane moment? Can it run Crysis?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So, I upgraded my Corsair TX550M Gold PSU to a secondhand Corsair RM650 Gold when I rebuilt my PC and lately it's been making a really annoying staticky buzzing/clicking sound that's bugging the hell out of me. Apparently this could be either coil whine, a damaged transformer failing to filter power properly, my MOBO's low-power CPU management, because I've plugged it into a cheapo power strip (not the case, I moved over directly to a grounded wall socket and it's still making that noise), or "totally normal". Any suggestions?

Update: switched the PSU back on my lunch break and in addition to being quieter, my GPU is now running much cooler because the power supply is so much smaller (more air can come through the perforated shroud). Oh well, guess that's what I get for buying secondhand to save $20...

change my name fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 21, 2021

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Amazon has the 1TB SN750 for $120 USD. Considering getting one, but wondering if the heatsink (an extra $20) is even necessary if I'm just doing gaming and nothing else more I/O heavy?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
What is a decent after market cooler for the 10400? It's louder than my i5 4570, going mental under any load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You don't need an SSD heatsink, especially since most motherboards now will have one built in.