Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wandering Mage
Jul 22, 2010
1, 9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
9, meet with Vicious

Vicious is Carlos Sanchez, White Star nobility and consummate duelist

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Frost is Mielikki Olayole. She spends her downtime in the mess cooking up pastries and the bar drinking cute recruits under the table

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Dog is Klaes Khruzhtiev, who used to work in civilian demolitions until he got blacklisted for a practical joke gone wrong.

And on further thought, changing from 1 to 8. We have some stuff to work out with Kestrel but it might be best left unsaid right now. Don't force her to acknowledge that we were defying orders, or that we're a dangerous wild card who happened to be really lucky this time. Meanwhile mom is even more important both personally and professionally.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Weary and strangely apprehensive, I made my way into the chamber proper. The messages on my terminal seemed pressing, so I grabbed a seat at an empty table and thumbed through the text. Someone caught my eye - Capy, SQUIRREL, waving me frantically over… Then I saw her falter and withdraw as Kestral interposed herself between us and put one leg up on a chair to loom over me. Her fierce eyes bored into me as the lights backlit her angular, striking face but she didn’t say anything for a moment.

Kestral Strellar: “Maxine. Glad to see you’re on your feet after your antics out there.”

I bristled, but her tone was more playful than admonishing, even if her face looked stern. Still, ‘antics’ was taking it a bit too far. I’d played it by the book(...ish) out there.

Maxine Fighthard: “Antics, were they? Seemed like they pulled you guys out of the fire, there.”
Kestral Strellar: “Ah, yes, this is so - Carlos probably owes you his life.”
Maxine Fighthard: “...I mean, come on, you couldn’t have known...”
Kestral Strellar: “No, theirs was a trap laid to perfection, but I can’t help but feel that I could have- now, don’t change the subject. I thought we had a discussion about your outbursts.”

I’d momentarily felt conflicted when I saw her eyes crease with shame at the mention of my daring rescue, but any sympathy I felt had just burned away in an instant.

Maxine Fighthard: “Get off my rear end - I had it under control out there! I played things absolutely according to code until things got hairy, and then I did what I had to do!
Kestral Strellar: “Yes, and that worked this time. It’s going to keep working this time, and you’re going to keep climbing the ranks, big hero Fighthard, until you’re in command - and then you’ll ‘do what you have to do’, and it will either keep working - or blow up in your, in our faces.”

I had to bite my lip and grip the seat hard enough that I could feel it rattling so that I didn’t just hit her right there. How could she be so, insanely, infuriating! A few scant hours ago, I’d pulled the whole team out of danger, and I’d done most of it completely dark. I knew better than to try to argue, but I also knew that staying here was going to lead to something worse. I stood up abruptly, flapped a dismissive hand at her, and stormed off to a corner window facing out into the void. She didn’t follow, but I could see her damned eyes trailing me in the reflection, one hand raised vaguely to stop me from leaving, but I was gone. The others were studiously looking away from the both of us in their own little cliques, and I snorted. Not getting involved, eh? I wasn’t surprised. Whatever.

My terminal hummed against my hip and I took a look at it. A note from the doc. I gritted my teeth and tapped it open.

DOCTOR HADDISH NOTIFICATION - PRIORITY C6 posted:

hey Max, I get the sense you’ve been avoiding me, ha ha. I really must insist you come and talk to me post-debrief so we can go over a few of ur numbers. also your vitals say you took some neural feedback from your sortie or something - system thinks you broke ur arm out there when MOW got hit anyway bye

ROGER says hi LOL
I pressed my fingers into my forehead and leaned against the cool glass of the bulkhead. He wasn’t wrong - I was absolutely avoiding him. His particular blend of medical condescension and his particular speech mannerisms were irritating enough without him actively tracking my vitals through my gear. ROGER was a whole other issue - the Rapid Osteopathic Guaranteed Emergency Responder hologram had been hooked up to my vitals back during my early days when my Protagonism had flared up bad and done something… odd to its systems. Since then it had been very… fond of me, and told me so whenever I visited. Doc Haddish thought it was hilarious and hadn’t been of much help. The idea that my career was so dependent on regular visits to those knuckleheads… Pyramid’s Light, sometimes I wasn’t sure it was worth it.

Another message from Mom blinked at me, but I’d save that paleo-chestnut for later, after dropping by to medbay. Motion brought me to full alert; the door irising opening to admit Commander Axiss and some Logistics staff - no Alanis, unfortunately. As one, we rose to attention and made our salutes, but Axiss brushed it off: with the aces, the Commander didn’t require much in the way of formality. His face was unreadable, and he paced as he spoke.

Commander Axiss: “Well, SPEARPOINT, here we are. Unless it’s very, very tiny, I notice a distinct lack of the Bellon Ampumetr. I’ve seen the action reports, but I’d like to hear it in your own words. What happened?”

Kestrel cleared her throat.

DO A THING posted:

1. Let Kestral control the narrative
  2. Speak for yourself
  3. Interject should she say something you disagree with

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

3. Kestral is the lead on this one, she gets to report and we're here to fill in the details on anything that might be hard to explain.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
3 we will show her that there is time for by the book, like now, and time to kick rear end and go neon, like then

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
sure, 3, but don't make a habit of it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
1. We are being tested. Outbursts are precisely what they're looking for. Don't give them the satisfaction.

The Wandering Mage
Jul 22, 2010

Try to reign it in - doubtlessly they'll have questions for you and you'll have a chance to say your side.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Let's do 3 here.