Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

The Bloop posted:

The dumb catchphrases are very cringey.

Would have been much better to use a single word if they have to KEEP saying it imo

The idea is good.

I still think the smart play was to put that thing back where it came from and get it when you need it, but I guess the risk is that production would remove it if you don't take it, that part was certainly not clear

I'm pretty sure once you choose to open it and read it it's locked to you and you can't just slip it back in the hiding spot and get your vote back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aerox posted:

I'm pretty sure once you choose to open it and read it it's locked to you and you can't just slip it back in the hiding spot and get your vote back.

Agreed but the wrapper said it was dangerous and you could choose to put it back before opening it

Why take a massive risk if you don't feel you're in danger

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Agreed but the wrapper said it was dangerous and you could choose to put it back before opening it

Why take a massive risk if you don't feel you're in danger

Oh sorry, yeah, I agree. I thought someone was asking why they didn’t put it back after opening it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean I really do want to know what would happen if he just didn't say the thing

I'm sure the producers must have discussed it

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

The Bloop posted:

I mean I really do want to know what would happen if he just didn't say the thing

I'm sure the producers must have discussed it

The impression I got was that saying the thing was optional? Like the only penalty for not saying the thing is your idol still doesn't work and you still don't have your vote, which is more than enough. So conceivably at the next immunity challenge he could wait for someone else to say the poo poo about Astroturf or broccoli before saying his Manchurian Candidate phrase.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah that's the impression I got too, that he didn't have to say the phrase every time or even immediately.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really think it said must say at every immunity challenge but I could be wrong

Anyone have a screenshot of the note?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

OK I looked it back and here's the exact wording.

quote:

At the next immmunity challenge, you must say a secret phrase in front of the other players. If another player has found their idol, they will reply with their secret phrase. Once all three phrases have been said at the same immunity challenge, then all three idols have power.
So yes he didn't actually have a choice here.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Got one from r/survivor:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oh and all three have to be said at the SAME challenge

This is the worst "advantage" to have ever lmao

Everyone is going to think he's either a complete lunatic or realize it's some kind of secret code

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Narcissus1916 posted:

I haven't watched this show in years, but is there actual data to suggest that winning alliances actually do start on Day 1? Like for dominant alliances do they form early, or are they cobbled together post-merge?

Alliances haven't been a important as they used to be the last several seasons. Instead we've seen the emergence of voting blocs. It's been hard to keep day 1 alliances since the producers have relied so heavily on multiple tribal swaps pre-merge, and hidden immunity idol scrambles every week.

We'll see how this season pans out, given that it's "a new game."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Still a lot of possibilities not covered by those rules but lol losing your vote from 2nd immunity all the way to merge and getting nothing in return

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Edit: beaten and also imgur on mobile is useless

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Yeah this advantage is weak. Should be lose your vote if you catchphrase and the other 2 don’t happen. Let them make the Hail Mary, this is just rude

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

On the other hand it's very funny for it to be a trap for the overconfident swaggering fucks who are constantly in an absolute belief that they have the entire game figured out.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
That password idol is perhaps the worst twist in 41 seasons. I'm nervous for the rest of the season between the constant free advantage summits and the players literally losing track of them by day 5(?)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Ah ok, you have to say it at the next one after you find it. Can't just sit on it and wait for someone else to go first.

I'm curious about "they will reply with their secret phrase". Sounds like you have to reply if you hear another, though it's phrased like an implicit threat?

So once the third one is taken, they should all activate at the next immunity challenge. Seems pretty fair to me. And there's a little bit of cross-tribe contact, so you might be able to pass along a hint to hurry it up if you're desperate to get your vote back.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

And Evvie already told someone on another tribe about the whole twist, so if they find it or someone else does they know the gimmick.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I think it could have been a pretty interesting twist and provided some fun gameplay if Xander didn't tell Evvie who then went and told another tribe about it too...

You could have had a moment where 3 survivors on 3 tribes all have an idol and know about each other having it.

Really with the vote risk / protect and the idols, there seems to be a lot of shared advantage knowledge across tribes in a way that could be an interesting dynamic, but probably will be terrible.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I'm convinced Brad is the kind of player who will eventually blow up someone else's game and annoy me but lol he's the best so far.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I like the idea of “there are no advantages, just twists with upsides and downsides, choose.” I want to see it extended.

Like, the whole “winner gets immunity, AND fishing gear, runner up gets immunity, AND fishing gear, loser doesn’t even get flint, gently caress you” is just terrible.

Here are three rewards: immunity, fishing gear, rice and beans. First tribe to complete the puzzle chooses one. Second tribe chooses from the remaining two. Last tribe gets whatever’s left.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

That was a pretty good couple of hours of Survivor

I loved how Tiffany just did not understand at all what was going on, I was hoping her panic would get her voted out

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Has it been said yet if F4 Firemaking is a thing or not this season?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Raxivace posted:

Has it been said yet if F4 Firemaking is a thing or not this season?

I don't think we know anything about final anything yet

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Bloop posted:

I don't think we know anything about final anything yet

Just that they filmed it on the island, and that there won't be a live reunion this year.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nihonniboku posted:

Just that they filmed it on the island, and that there won't be a live reunion this year.

I hope Jeff still enters by orbital skydiving in a frogman suit with a snowboard

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I watched the first two seasons of Survivor back when they aired but then didn't watch it again. On a whim my partner and I watched season 37 because we saw a couple of celebrities in the cast who we were familiar with, and it was an awesome season of television.

It's unlikely that we will go back and watch 40 seasons of this, and I am scared to look up "best season" articles online because the first one I did spoiled the winner of what it was trying to convince me to watch (season 28), so I thought I would ask here instead. We're going to catch up on the current season, but looking to the past for anyone who has been into the show for a long time, can you tell me the "must watch" seasons without spoiling? I've heard seasons 7 and 20 are good, but 20 seems to be returning cast members and I worry that if I watch it, I'd be potentially spoiling any of the previous 20 seasons and don't want to do that if there are some great ones in the early years. I will add that we're really into the twist elements (idols, nulls, vote steals, whatever) and I don't know how many of those were a part of the show in the early years... if that influences what you think is worth checking out.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

I watched the first two seasons of Survivor back when they aired but then didn't watch it again. On a whim my partner and I watched season 37 because we saw a couple of celebrities in the cast who we were familiar with, and it was an awesome season of television.

It's unlikely that we will go back and watch 40 seasons of this, and I am scared to look up "best season" articles online because the first one I did spoiled the winner of what it was trying to convince me to watch (season 28), so I thought I would ask here instead. We're going to catch up on the current season, but looking to the past for anyone who has been into the show for a long time, can you tell me the "must watch" seasons without spoiling? I've heard seasons 7 and 20 are good, but 20 seems to be returning cast members and I worry that if I watch it, I'd be potentially spoiling any of the previous 20 seasons and don't want to do that if there are some great ones in the early years. I will add that we're really into the twist elements (idols, nulls, vote steals, whatever) and I don't know how many of those were a part of the show in the early years... if that influences what you think is worth checking out.

Season 22 is worth a watch.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

20 seems to be returning cast members and I worry that if I watch it, I'd be potentially spoiling any of the previous 20 seasons and don't want to do that if there are some great ones in the early years.

This was the first season I ever watched, and I really enjoyed going back to earlier seasons and being all "oh so THAT'S what that player was like". There will be spoilers, I don't remember if the show literally puts "season X champion" directly under people's names but I'm sure people talk on camera about e.g. "when X won their season".

Having now watched a haphazard ~half of the seasons, I'm far less interested in who wins, so being spoiled on that doesn't affect my enjoyment. Totally understand the desire to avoid spoilers though, not saying you're doing it wrong! But doing it "backwards" was very enjoyable.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah I'll be honest, I was 2 seconds away from clicking 'play' on season 20 regardless, but my partner was resistant because of the returning players thing. It doesn't bother me as much. Thanks for the replies so far, I will keep watching the thread and in the meantime we will probably just move on to season 38 (and I guess catch up on the first couple eps of the current season).

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Berzerker posted:

The podcast Rob Has a Podcast, hosted by Rob Cesternino a former Survivor player, just did a rankings of the top seasons. The top 10 seasons were (in reverse order): 10) S18 Tocantins; 9) S31 Cambodia (returning players); 8) S6 The Amazon; 7) S40 Winners at War (returning players); 6) S37 David v Goliath; 5) S15 China; 4) S16 Micronesia (returning players); 3) S7 Pearl Islands; 2) S28 Cagayan; 1) S20 Heroes v Villains (returning players)

The Hidden Immunity Idol was the first twist like you're talking about, and it wasn't introduced until season 11.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

The Berzerker posted:

the first one I did spoiled the winner of what it was trying to convince me to watch (season 28),

bummer, that's one of the best -- It's still enjoyable even if you know the winner, especially because it seems so unlikely that person should win at times lol

Here's a list of summaries and rankings without spoilers (just don't scroll down to the comments at the bottom):
http://www.purplerockpodcast.com/survivor-season-rankings-spoiler-free-summaries/

Here's my personal list:

Season 7: Pearl Islands
Season 13: Cook Islands
Season 15: China
Season 16: Micronesia (some returning players, most important ones are from Cook Islands or China)
Season 18: Tocantins
Season 19: Samoa
Season 20: Heroes vs. Villains (Seasons 15-19 are pretty important to this one)
Season 28: Cagayan (i know you're spoiled on this one)
Season 32: Kaoh Rong
Season 33: Millennials vs Gen X

If I had to recommend three (and not Cagayan, and you've already seen David v Goliath) it would be Pearl Islands, Micronesia, and Heroes v Villains, though there's a lot of returners in the last two. If you don't really care about knowing backstory for returning players you can skip Samoa (there's only one player there who's important, though they feature *very* heavily in the next season) and China (it's still good and universally liked, it's just not personally that high for me) from my list.

e: oh and if you love silly advantages and twists, Season 34: Game Changers is a must watch (important returnees are from S28 Cagayan and S32 Kaoh Rong). Lots of people hate S34 and for good reasons, but it's one of my guilty pleasures. Season 36 Ghost Island has a lot of callbacks to previous seasons' advantages, as well. Also Season 40 turned out much better than it has any right to be, but it'll also spoil literally everything before it (it's the All-Winners season).

Spokes fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 2, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I feel like Season 1 is a must-watch at some poin too, if only to see how different things were and how people functioned before the game became so gamey. A time where weridoes vote arbitrarily and the notion of alliances or voting blocs were rare spectacles.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I never watched the first season but there’s a moment in the first UK series in 2001 I think where a dude knows 100% he’s being voted out and does nothing to even try and change that outcome. I feel that’s pretty indicative of early Survivor weirdness.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
So what would happen if Xander did get voted out w/ his idol? I assume you need the actual idol/piece of paper to get the immunity (and have your vote nullified), but since Evvie could have read the phrase, could she say it at every challenge just to gently caress w/ the other tribes or smoke out the other idol holders? Like if she said it, and then the other two phrase-holders said theirs, would they assume the activation worked even though Evvie never had the actual idol? When would they even find out if it worked or not? Tribal?

It would be funny if Evvie said the phrase without having the idol, smoked out the other two holders, and just yelled to the other tribes: "hey they don't have a vote right now!"

The whole thing seems a little wonky and though I like the idea of activating something cross-tribe, this doesn't seem to be super well thought out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I’d assume the idol gets rehidden but Evvie could totally do that, which would be hilarious. Even more so if she kept that info to herself and used it for alliance power.

Also one of the producers said on twitter that Xander also can’t use his dice while he doesn’t have a vote. He’s completely powerless.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

njsykora posted:

Also one of the producers said on twitter that Xander also can’t use his dice while he doesn’t have a vote. He’s completely powerless.

Oh that's cool. I didn't even think about that.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Khanstant posted:

I feel like Season 1 is a must-watch at some poin too, if only to see how different things were and how people functioned before the game became so gamey. A time where weridoes vote arbitrarily and the notion of alliances or voting blocs were rare spectacles.

I watched the first season this year after discovering Beauty, Brains, & Brawn on Netflix. drat when they rolled out that CRT TV with VHS player onto the beach, I felt shockingly old.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Please watch season 19 then 20 and give us your opinion on Russel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Antiquated Pants posted:

I watched the first season this year after discovering Beauty, Brains, & Brawn on Netflix. drat when they rolled out that CRT TV with VHS player onto the beach, I felt shockingly old.

I did a full rewatch of the series a couple years ago and the whole thing is a weird time capsule of cultural and media snapshots. Shocked at others when people casually say some poo poo you'd rightfully expect people to take issue with today. Other times casual news or pop culture references you totally forgot and it was funny how "big" it was when that was filmed and aired. The early seasons also had people making pretty wild choices for themselves and their gameplan on such non-strategic or tactical poo poo, talkin about their honour and integrity and poo poo all serious. drat kinda making myself wanna rewatch again lol