Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Dr. Quarex posted:

I also signed up for a Cthulhu tournament because I was like "nope, this does not make sense to be a session, so I definitely want to be part of it"

I am also inspired to make the other thread now!

Oh, Cthulhu masters? I've heard it's kind of a big deal, so cool.

There's also a pseudo-tournament called the Black Letter where the group (You Too Can Cthulhu) run a series of games that award the "best" player (as determined by the GMs as well as input from the other players, I believe) an invitation (the "Black Letter") to a special game on Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yes, the problematic Gen-Con dreams are where you are waking up Sunday morning and realized you have not even been to the convention center yet. Although I am always surprised my brain is so merciful and still gives me one day to attend

Also considering I have basically no other anxiety/trauma dreams, that those pop up at least every couple of years always makes me wonder

Double-also, I should really make that regional gaming conventions thread before Origins actually happens

I have had at least three GenCon dreams and maybe up to five. The best part is waking up to realize it was a dream and I still have GenCon to go to.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I have my tickets and hotel already for Gencon but I keep forgetting Gencon is happening so I have zero events or dreams.

whatev, yolo I guess

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I'm still waiting for more events to drop. Mostly the kids events since there are only 19 of them right now.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Did any of you read gaming mags in the 2000s or 2010s? I am trying to track down some more written descriptions of Gen Con from these decades and am coming up a bit short. The internet is a big help for the 2010s but the 00s is getting a little tough.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Anyone have a sense of how long it takes Pastimes to put up the MTG events? Looking to play some wizard poker in person for the first time in like two years.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
They are notoriously late. I wouldn't be surprised if things weren't up until late June or early July.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

There are also magic players in the discord you could probably arrange some card time with.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

Did any of you read gaming mags in the 2000s or 2010s? I am trying to track down some more written descriptions of Gen Con from these decades and am coming up a bit short. The internet is a big help for the 2010s but the 00s is getting a little tough.
I imagine anything I am going to write you either already knew about or I already told you about in the past (well not the Wizards.com forums idea), but maybe it can inspire someone else to remember something too!

• Here is a backup of the Wizards.com forums from right before they went down forever and I have absolutely not looked at them but you would figure someone sometime would have talked about Gen-Con
  • Astonishingly Gen Con Wisconsin has had noticeable updates since I last looked at it so something useful about 2000-2002 could have been added
  • The last Wayback Machine grab of Keeper of Ancient Gen-Con Lore's chronicles, so that hits up to 2007's event
  • The handful of pre-2010 threads here linked in Our Thread's third post are mildly interesting
  • Obviously the 40 Years of Gen Con book is pretty great for this purpose and everyone should read it
  • Giving another shot to using Goog to just find pre-2010 stuff and I found this that is thankfully "Zack S," not "Zak S," liveblogging Gen-Con 2008
  • Hilariously Kevin Siembieda did a write-up of his Gen-Con 2006 experiences

I wonder if looking up Ennie/Diana Jones/Origins award winners from each year might also then enable you to carefully hone your search terms to find company-specific write-ups of their experiences? Hmmmmmmm

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I was trying to figure out how to post about the new Auction situation but they then specifically asked us not to post anything ahead of the webpage being updated this week so as to not accidentally get any details wrong, so... webpage updated this week!!!

I will break this powerful NDA to say that they apparently updated the manufacturer list to include companies that did not exist in 2002 when it was last updated, haha.

We then agreed the proper way to go is actually to dial the manufacturer list back a century, and I suggested "Parker Brothers, Milton Bradley, or Other" as the new list

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

I imagine anything I am going to write you either already knew about or I already told you about in the past (well not the Wizards.com forums idea), but maybe it can inspire someone else to remember something too!

• Here is a backup of the Wizards.com forums from right before they went down forever and I have absolutely not looked at them but you would figure someone sometime would have talked about Gen-Con
  • Astonishingly Gen Con Wisconsin has had noticeable updates since I last looked at it so something useful about 2000-2002 could have been added
  • The last Wayback Machine grab of Keeper of Ancient Gen-Con Lore's chronicles, so that hits up to 2007's event
  • The handful of pre-2010 threads here linked in Our Thread's third post are mildly interesting
  • Obviously the 40 Years of Gen Con book is pretty great for this purpose and everyone should read it
  • Giving another shot to using Goog to just find pre-2010 stuff and I found this that is thankfully "Zack S," not "Zak S," liveblogging Gen-Con 2008
  • Hilariously Kevin Siembieda did a write-up of his Gen-Con 2006 experiences

I wonder if looking up Ennie/Diana Jones/Origins award winners from each year might also then enable you to carefully hone your search terms to find company-specific write-ups of their experiences? Hmmmmmmm

Thanks for these, Quarex. Some of them I have checked already but not all, especially that backup of the wizards forums. Didn't know that existed and downloading now. Hopefully its complete. I've already scraped so many old forum posts for this project, time to add in some more! One of those forums I scraped was the forums for the Ennies. They were one of the ones that went back to 2001 or 2002, thankfully. Though content that old is still kind of sparse.

There is both a ton and a little info out there. What I mean by that is though I find tons of posts and things a lot of them are very light on commentary or have similar information to each other. Trying to cast a broad as a net as I can. The 90s and 80s are almost easier for this in some regards since all I have is magazine and zine articles and a very limited number of Usenet posts.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 1, 2022

Zalmun
Jan 17, 2008

It'sa me!

Nap Ghost
Are there any unofficial pre-convention events on Tuesday or Wednesday? My friends and I are coming to Indy a couple of days early so we're not rushing or lagged while trying to get our passes and such.

Also, what local game stores would anyone recommend checking out in Indy, or ones to avoid?

It'll be my first time to a Gencon, though my friends I'm going with have gone a couple times before.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
There is a ton of things happening Wednesday, most people get in that day and immediately start doing things. There isn't anything on Tuesday though, at least not officially. Some of the exhibitors start getting in on Tuesday, so like I'll be there, but I don't see much other activity on the Tuesday before Gen Con. You get some crazy people like Quarex getting in Monday so if you ask around there will probably be a few people to do things with Tuesday but I wouldn't expect much.

For game stores, there was one a couple blocks from the convention center though I don't know if it survived covid. There is also that Donuts & Dragons place that is a drive from Gen Con some people go to. I don't know, when I am at Gen Con everything I attend is either part of the convention or a bar/restaurant.

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011

Zalmun posted:

Also, what local game stores would anyone recommend checking out in Indy, or ones to avoid?

nesbit37 posted:

For game stores, there was one a couple blocks from the convention center though I don't know if it survived covid.

Good Games Indy is the store you're thinking of and it has survived. I've been attending Pathfinder society games there over the past few months and it's been great. They have a good amount of tables, solid game library, and it's not a dump. They do want you to wear a mask if you're gaming there, but since gen-con is the same that shouldn't be a problem.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

Thanks for these, Quarex. Some of them I have checked already but not all, especially that backup of the wizards forums. Didn't know that existed and downloading now. Hopefully its complete. I've already scraped so many old forum posts for this project, time to add in some more! One of those forums I scraped was the forums for the Ennies. They were one of the ones that went back to 2001 or 2002, thankfully. Though content that old is still kind of sparse.

There is both a ton and a little info out there. What I mean by that is though I find tons of posts and things a lot of them are very light on commentary or have similar information to each other. Trying to cast a broad as a net as I can. The 90s and 80s are almost easier for this in some regards since all I have is magazine and zine articles and a very limited number of Usenet posts.
Hell yeah :hfive: I was pretty excited to realize someone had Jason Scotted the Wizards forums, since I remember that was about the only other forum I ever even remotely regularly used besides this one. Well and I still use the Gen Con Forums but duh

I know exactly what you mean about the information being largely stupid. Like, I know when I wrote things about Gen-Con back in the days I talked about the cool things I saw and did, but it seems like a lot of people will just go into weird tangents about how a game is played or their personal relationship with someone or whatever. I was enjoying the RPG.net guy's liveblogging in 2008, but I imagine he stopped doing that once smartphones sufficiently integrated themselves into society and the novelty of a live mobile Internet connection at a big event was reduced from "modest" to "none."

Zalmun posted:

Are there any unofficial pre-convention events on Tuesday or Wednesday? My friends and I are coming to Indy a couple of days early so we're not rushing or lagged while trying to get our passes and such.

It'll be my first time to a Gencon, though my friends I'm going with have gone a couple times before.

nesbit37 posted:

There is a ton of things happening Wednesday, most people get in that day and immediately start doing things. There isn't anything on Tuesday though, at least not officially. Some of the exhibitors start getting in on Tuesday, so like I'll be there, but I don't see much other activity on the Tuesday before Gen Con. You get some crazy people like Quarex getting in Monday so if you ask around there will probably be a few people to do things with Tuesday but I wouldn't expect much.

For game stores, there was one a couple blocks from the convention center though I don't know if it survived covid. There is also that Donuts & Dragons place that is a drive from Gen Con some people go to. I don't know, when I am at Gen Con everything I attend is either part of the convention or a bar/restaurant.
To erotically piggyback onto Nesbit37's post, yes, the Goons always get up to some sort of shenanigans, though it is debatable whether your non-Goon friends would want to be involved with any of that amazing nonsense. There is, unfortunately, an official event called the "Stink" on Wednesday night at the uhh Union Station near the convention center; it is ticketed, and tickets sell out immediately, but you can attend even without a ticket and they will still let you come hang out and revel in the glories of Gen-Con (I cannot formally endorse this event because of its loving awful, insulting, and outdated nerd-cruelty-related name; yes, I have been on Something Awful for almost 20 years and yet still fight the good fight against being mean).

Doughnuts & Dragons is a surprisingly good place to stop, though if last year is anything to go by they will be nearly out of donuts by late afternoon, and I have no idea why anyone would make the like 15-minute drive to get there during the convention proper, so yeah, either go in the morning by Wednesday or skip it). The only Indianapolis game store I can vouch for was the Armory and closed in like 2017, but there is a game store called Good Games literally next door to the downtown Hampton Inn that looked GREAT and was open late (just not quite late enough for us coming back from the Goon Hang at like 11 on Saturday night, as that one picture of me staring longingly into its illuminated interior can attest). Edit: OH NO BROWSERS CASTLE BEAT ME TO THIS wait who the hell are you? Welcome to the thread!

As for my arrival, I actually magnanimously agreed to not go until Tuesday this year for child-existing purposes, but the kiddo's mother equally magnanimously was like "whatever, you can go Monday or even Sunday night if you want" so WHO KNOWS WHAT I WILL DO NOW??? I will absolutely be there by Monday afternoon if not Sunday night, though, and ready to be my usually-gracious self for any ... wait let me write this in bold

I will be in Indianapolis by Monday, August 1, and happy to be my welcoming self for any newbz or near-newbz who want to know What The gently caress Is Up before the convention gets going

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Still not supposed to talk about the overall changes to the Auction, but the dates page is up now, so obviously that is the first secret released: the deadlines are sooner than usual, and the deadline for items placed into the live auction is three weeks before the deadline for any store items. The registration page is still not live, though, so I cannot go test to see what else is up

Also fairly relevant, there is now an approval process for live items (as shown, things will be approved by July 18). The plus side is that I assume this will be for this year only, and is probably just to prevent us from having like 50 copies of the same Monopoly up for bid or something.

At first I thought this was going to be a problem for T.O.V.A., but honestly T.O.V.A. should overall benefit from this, given how incredibly uncommon it is for there to be lots of duplicates or other common items for sale there.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Very interesting to see a pre-approval process for the auction this year. Really curious to see how it works out.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Zalmun posted:

Where about in town are you staying and what sorts of games are you interested in playing (Magic, 40k, etc)?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Hell yeah :hfive: I was pretty excited to realize someone had Jason Scotted the Wizards forums, since I remember that was about the only other forum I ever even remotely regularly used besides this one. Well and I still use the Gen Con Forums but duh

Looks like this copy of the wizards forums may not be that useful. That or I am not loading it properly. I can get pages up and go to seperate forums but several of the pages of the forums seem to be missing and when I try to read individual posts I get file not found errors. I don't see any kind of database in this dump (though maybe this forum didn't use one?). Search is also broken but I was expecting that. Unless I can find some other way search the content of all the files I just downloaded at once I don't know if I'll be able to get much of anything from this dump :(

edit: The windows crappy version of grep gives me 56 files that contain the word gencon and 40 that have "gen con" so there is some hope yet!

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 3, 2022

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Still not supposed to talk about the overall changes to the Auction, but the dates page is up now, so obviously that is the first secret released: the deadlines are sooner than usual, and the deadline for items placed into the live auction is three weeks before the deadline for any store items. The registration page is still not live, though, so I cannot go test to see what else is up

Also fairly relevant, there is now an approval process for live items (as shown, things will be approved by July 18). The plus side is that I assume this will be for this year only, and is probably just to prevent us from having like 50 copies of the same Monopoly up for bid or something.

At first I thought this was going to be a problem for T.O.V.A., but honestly T.O.V.A. should overall benefit from this, given how incredibly uncommon it is for there to be lots of duplicates or other common items for sale there.

Super Hero Lamps (500)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Deviant posted:

Super Hero Lamps (500)
I am glad this shared trauma will live on, particularly in these circumstances

I was pleased when I mentioned those lamps on the official forums that some random poster remembered them and we had a delightful laugh about that guy, who is no doubt still plotting his revenge for his masterpieces going unsold

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Well someone on the official forums just figured out the link for the 2022 Auction item registration page, even though it does not appear to be linked on the main page yet?

In any case, you can go check it out and start getting your items registered apparently.

You will have to make a whole new account even if you have registered before, and make sure to go back to that link again after registering, as they clearly have it set up wrong where it just brings you to your random profile homepage and you cannot get back to the actual Auction stuff after you finish registration

Also now cat out of bag, Auction Consignment Store items can be listed for as much as $75 now, which I suppose is also in part to help mitigate the potential huge backlog of nicer items. Even though, as I have mentioned before, I have never known anyone to buy something in that section for more than like $20, since the whole point is getting a good deal (I think). Not to discourage you, as if you have something worth, like, objectively more than $75, you could probably still ensure you got $75 for it if you did it that way.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Also now cat out of bag, Auction Consignment Store items can be listed for as much as $75 now, which I suppose is also in part to help mitigate the potential huge backlog of nicer items. Even though, as I have mentioned before, I have never known anyone to buy something in that section for more than like $20, since the whole point is getting a good deal (I think). Not to discourage you, as if you have something worth, like, objectively more than $75, you could probably still ensure you got $75 for it if you did it that way.

Buddy, you know all the people who have access to the POS receipts. Literally just ask how many items sold at price cap on prior years.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Toshimo posted:

Buddy, you know all the people who have access to the POS receipts. Literally just ask how many items sold at price cap on prior years.
!!!!!!!!!!

That is such a good question to ask

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Toshimo posted:

Dr. Quarex posted:

!!!!!!!!!!

That is such a good question to ask

You know a quick statistical analysis of that data by someone could be really useful for the auction if only in the sense that knowing 'poo poo priced higher than $25 doesn't sell' is actually true or not.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I'm pretty sure I've bought stuff in the auction store over $25 before but not a lot. I'm definitely looking for the insane deals when I am in the auction store, or maybe a rarity I just don't see much or ever on ebay or whatever. If its the same price as I could get it for on ebay then for whatever reason I would rather just buy it on ebay.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
We just had a local boardgame flea market and I had something sell for $65. But yeah if you think you’ll get $75, might as well :rolldice: on auction. It might help with a glut though, and the decreasing price scheme of consignment does have some attractiveness over trying to nail a reserve price.

I don’t think I’m gonna send much to auction this year, I’m worried about the glut and any rare things I’m trying to make a buck on getting passed over

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
The one time I sold a bunch of miniature stuff in the store we listed it all at the $50 cap and only two items didn't sell the first day.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

only thing i bought over $25 from the shop was weird rear end netrunner promo items

Zalmun
Jan 17, 2008

It'sa me!

Nap Ghost

Backno posted:

Where about in town are you staying and what sorts of games are you interested in playing (Magic, 40k, etc)?

I personally am staying at Hyatt Place Indianapolis Downtown, and my friends are in various hotels either connected to the skywalk or within walking distance. I'm pretty much the only Magic player in the group, but we'll be doing things like the hot games room in the evenings. I signed up for a Battletech event as well, but haven't seen much in the way of MTG events yet. I think I might have signed up for a Dune Imperium game too? I don't remember, I'll have to check my list; it might have had a time conflict.

Games wise: MTG, Battletech, various boardgames. I wanted to sign up for Paranoia but it was full like instantly when the event list went live. I used to play D&D 3/3.5 back in the day, and have collected lots of 1st ed Pathfinder, but never got a gaming group together interested in it. Haven't done any RPGs in many years as a result. I only even just restarted MTG in the last year after a 15 year break, after playing MTGA during COVID.

Thanks for all the info on LGS. I'll be sure to visit the one within walking distance for sure as I likely won't have a car (coming from Canada).

If there's going to be any kind of goonmeet, I can try to come, though I don't know if my friends will be interested (though they are pretty easy going and friendly). I'll try and get on the Discord in the OP soon.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Zalmun posted:

but haven't seen much in the way of MTG events yet.

Pasttimes is who puts in the MTG events and they are notoriously late with them every year. Keep checking the event catalog for them but I wouldn't be particularly surprised if they didn't show up until July.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Zalmun posted:

If there's going to be any kind of goonmeet, I can try to come,

WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY

Deviant fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 6, 2022

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I can imagine miniature stuff selling well in the store section, that makes sense. Anything limited-edition (and actually relevant) would undoubtedly do so, too. Yeah as I said, anything like objectively worth more than $50 would probably sell at $50, but I really do need to go ask the Auction folks RIGHT NOW about this

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Zalmun posted:

I personally am staying at Hyatt Place Indianapolis Downtown, and my friends are in various hotels either connected to the skywalk or within walking distance. I'm pretty much the only Magic player in the group, but we'll be doing things like the hot games room in the evenings. I signed up for a Battletech event as well, but haven't seen much in the way of MTG events yet. I think I might have signed up for a Dune Imperium game too? I don't remember, I'll have to check my list; it might have had a time conflict.

Games wise: MTG, Battletech, various boardgames. I wanted to sign up for Paranoia but it was full like instantly when the event list went live. I used to play D&D 3/3.5 back in the day, and have collected lots of 1st ed Pathfinder, but never got a gaming group together interested in it. Haven't done any RPGs in many years as a result. I only even just restarted MTG in the last year after a 15 year break, after playing MTGA during COVID.

Thanks for all the info on LGS. I'll be sure to visit the one within walking distance for sure as I likely won't have a car (coming from Canada).

If there's going to be any kind of goonmeet, I can try to come, though I don't know if my friends will be interested (though they are pretty easy going and friendly). I'll try and get on the Discord in the OP soon.

There is also Moonshot Games downtown on Mass Ave ( long walk or short Uber from where you're staying. They have a nice game library and you're right nextdoor to Yats (Very solid Cajun/creole food that's an Indy staple)

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.
Haha waddup thread postin

Please remember to join the discord for goon shenanigans before, during, and after the con!
Exciting things like “I’m hungry who wants to eat with me?” and the riveting “gonna wander the exhibit hall again anyone want to join me?”
Wow!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Don’t forget the always exciting “here’s a picture of a dude passed out under a food truck in 95 degree heat”

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.
Ooo yeah do you think we will see the return of hallway sleepers with the expected higher attendance?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You can bet I’ll be reporting live on the scene if so.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

Haha waddup thread postin

Please remember to join the discord for goon shenanigans before, during, and after the con!
Exciting things like “I’m hungry who wants to eat with me?” and the riveting “gonna wander the exhibit hall again anyone want to join me?”
Wow!

don't forget "where the gently caress did X go?! we're drinkin at HV"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Will need a constantly updated utilikilt count as well.