Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

hyid-rosh-tee

PantsBandit posted:

What would you all call the best classic-doom like? Aka keys, secrets, 9 guns, etc.

do Descent or Unreal count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ColdPie posted:

Because hydross-ity sounds cooler.

No it doesn't

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s not a city

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

well it sure isn't a fukkin hyd

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/TeeLopes/status/1536891663615938560

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i have a vague memory (hell maybe it was in a dream) of someone somewhere asking about the best video game soundtracks, and i would like to shout FURI into the void thank you

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I only had access to a Switch in terms of video gaming for the last few days and let me tell you, that there Breath of the Wild is pretty good!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I GOT A LITTLE VIVI MINION AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :3:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Final Fantasy XI's blue mage was funny because it was absolute rear end until you finally learned enough spells to mix em up and get cool buffs from em and then suddenly you're the unstoppable godkiller

It really was a 0-100 kinda class. Once it hits its sweet spot it could do drat near everything.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

lmao tee lopes rules. shredder's revenge soundtrack bangs

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Rarity posted:

I GOT A LITTLE VIVI MINION AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :3:

Huh, is it from the achievement guy? Cause I'm pretty sure that's the WoL minion that randomly changes between Fighter, WHM and BLM. Still absurdly cute, try clapping at them.

(Don't look Rarity)Cause I'm pretty sure the only Vivi minion is from Hildibrand

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

https://twitter.com/iloveheroinbb/status/1542822185408004097?s=21&t=ueUbMHq7VdiemFGAO6BWOQ

gamemaster anthony's birthday has taken a turn

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Huh, is it from the achievement guy? Cause I'm pretty sure that's the WoL minion that randomly changes between Fighter, WHM and BLM. Still absurdly cute, try clapping at them.

(Don't look Rarity)Cause I'm pretty sure the only Vivi minion is from Hildibrand

Vivi is a black mage :colbert:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Rarity posted:

Vivi is a black mage :colbert:

Yeah, last time I checked Vivi is a BLM, not a Fighter or a WHM.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Seeing Thief really upped my appreciation for the GTAV score, HEALTH did a great job in Max Payne 3, but the team Rockstar put together for V really demolished the previous record for how good a score in games could be. It's got that perfect sense of Tension, Anxiety, Ennui, Americana, and West Coastian vibes. People poo poo on how Large Rockstars projects have gotten, but I think their should be a place for the Massive Intolerance or Avatar sized mega projects, if for no other reason then to show what is possible with the medium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cETBCvKnu0Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORzkA5ks-GM

Also gonna say anyone who hasn't seen Thief should, for Mann's first Theatrical Film he knocked it out of the park. It's one of the best heist movies I've ever seen, but also one of the best movies on Labor Relations I've ever seen.
Far better then the masturbatory garbage peeps like Godard put out.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

pretty much never turned on the radio when I played Gta5 because the score was so good. also the radio stations were not that good.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What are some good blue mages from rpgs in general?

The following traits are needed for them to be considered a blue mage imo.

1. Their skills specifically come from enemies
2. They learn their enemy's skills in some fashion, whether that's eating, scanning, absorbing, being hit by them, or just fighting in general
3. Are generally focused around fighting enemies by using attacks learned from enemies

Some examples of good blue mages from Final Fantasy include Strago and Gau (FF6), Quistis (FF8), Quina (FF9), and any of the main trio using the Gun Mage Dressphere (FFX-2).

So with those rules in mind, the following rpgs have good blue mages in them.

Shadow Hearts Covenant (Princess Anastasia uses an old type of camera that lets her capture certain enemies and call upon them to do an attack)
Pokemon (Ditto's entire gimmick is that they can transform into an enemy pokemon and take on their moveset)
Mega Man Battle Network (Mega Man's entire moveset is made up of moves he gets from fighting any and every enemy and boss, with the exception of his default buster shot)
Live-A-Live (Masaru is a wrestler who learns the moves of other wrestlers by being hit by them)

What are some others

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is Kirby a blue mage

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF14:

I did my first dungeon as a healer by taking a bunch of NPCs through Sastasha, it turned out to be incredibly easy. Apart from a few spots I only had to drop one heal per fight. I thought this was meant to be when Conjurer gets fun :argh:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

does it count as blue magic when you shoot a dude, and pick up the dude's gun, and shoot some more dudes with the dude's gun

or if your main tactic is stealing and repurposing entire enemy starfleets with salvage corvettes

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I actually got into a lot of bands from hearing them first on Radio Mirror Park, but the other stations were mostly just okay. The classic rap station was decent but really Dre and Snoop heavy. RLS just didn't have poo poo in my lane except ADHD which has always been my favorite Kendrick track

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hwurmp posted:

does it count as blue magic when you shoot a dude, and pick up the dude's gun, and shoot some more dudes with the dude's gun

or if your main tactic is stealing and repurposing entire enemy starfleets with salvage corvettes

Master Chief is a blue mage

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Salvettes remain the MVPs of Homeworld

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Is Kirby a blue mage

Yes

Hwurmp posted:

Only if the guns are unique to each enemy and are being handled in a way that is unique to the player. Simply pulling a trigger on a gun does not make you a blue mage but being able to take someone else's gun from them and reuse it as a gun, a bludgeon, a missile, or a lockpick does mean you are a blue mage. Doomslayer and Duke Nukem are not blue mages. The player in superhot, however, is a blue mage. Raiden in Metal Gear Rising is also a blue mage.

Hwurmp posted:

If you are reusing and repurposing enemy weaponry by adding it to yourself then you are a blue mage. Therefore by this arbitrary definition the main character of Driver: San Francisco is a blue mage.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I was gonna say :megaman: but then i read the rest of your post

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Morte in Planescape: Torment is also a blue mage, but only when it comes to his skill in sassing people.

Any game where your main skill is in possessing or controlling any unique individual and making them do stuff for you is a game where you are a blue mage.

Agent 47 is also a blue mage because he can put on any outfit and assume that person's life as if he was always them.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Does Shirou Emiya count? He basically copies blades and their special skills but he just has to see them, not being hit by them.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Morte in Planescape: Torment is also a blue mage, but only when it comes to his skill in sassing people.

as is Guybrush Threepwood

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm a blue mage cause I can quote other people's posts and make them my own

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

FirstAidKite posted:

Any game where your main skill is in possessing or controlling any unique individual and making them do stuff for you is a game where you are a blue mage.

Agent 47 is also a blue mage because he can put on any outfit and assume that person's life as if he was always them.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There, I just did blue magic

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Relax or DIE posted:

No it doesn't

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
More like Hydrox lovely am I right gamers

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

No it doesn't work, you can't use your own name if you're not cool

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Macaluso posted:

More like Hydrox lovely am I right gamers

Yes

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

What are some good blue mages from rpgs in general?

The following traits are needed for them to be considered a blue mage imo.

1. Their skills specifically come from enemies
2. They learn their enemy's skills in some fashion, whether that's eating, scanning, absorbing, being hit by them, or just fighting in general
3. Are generally focused around fighting enemies by using attacks learned from enemies

Some examples of good blue mages from Final Fantasy include Strago and Gau (FF6), Quistis (FF8), Quina (FF9), and any of the main trio using the Gun Mage Dressphere (FFX-2).

So with those rules in mind, the following rpgs have good blue mages in them.

Shadow Hearts Covenant (Princess Anastasia uses an old type of camera that lets her capture certain enemies and call upon them to do an attack)
Pokemon (Ditto's entire gimmick is that they can transform into an enemy pokemon and take on their moveset)
Mega Man Battle Network (Mega Man's entire moveset is made up of moves he gets from fighting any and every enemy and boss, with the exception of his default buster shot)
Live-A-Live (Masaru is a wrestler who learns the moves of other wrestlers by being hit by them)

What are some others

Ditto isn't a blue mage because it loses the moves after the fight, it's a Relm. Smeargle is a blue mage though.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rarity posted:

FF14:

I did my first dungeon as a healer by taking a bunch of NPCs through Sastasha, it turned out to be incredibly easy. Apart from a few spots I only had to drop one heal per fight. I thought this was meant to be when Conjurer gets fun :argh:

The Duty Assist NPCs are generally much tankier and much less likely to run into random AoEs compared to the average player, so you rarely ever have to work super hard to keep them up. Healing is generally fairly lax until you get to around the level 41 dungeon, at which point incoming damage sees a pretty significant spike and more careful attention to healing is required.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Ganon's various Blights in BOTW are all blue mages.
Cappy in Mario Odyssey is a blue mage.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jack Garland's main job is blue mage, no matter what you change to, he can always absorb enemy skills and turn the tables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

don't give a single gently caress what naka says about anything