Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
One of the symptoms of atomic bomb disease is an expressionless face. It is not, I think, something that develops after one contracts radiation sickness; it has been in evidence ever since August 6.
It is the expressionless face of imbecility, the face of the idiot. The expressionless face of the imbecile has become a state of mind, and it is this very condition that manifests itself in the victims of this calamity, setting them apart. It is a reality that cannot be measured in terms of conventional bombing: incendiaries, bombs, naval shelling. If the issue is terror, waves of incendiaries, bombs, naval shelling may well be more terrifying. If one is under attack all day or continuously day and night, the fear may drive one crazy.
We were not afraid of the atomic bomb. We had no time to think about being afraid. And even afterward we were not afraid. We probably won't be afraid until two or three years have passed.
But the shadow of death crossed before our very eyes, returned, passed on. Alongside one's live self stood one's dead self. There are no words to describe it. The only way to get through the day was to feel cheered if you awoke in the morning alive, having made it back from hell, and to rejoice at having been brought back from death. We even forgot to resent the atomic bomb. It is the resolve to use the atomic bomb that is terrifying. Even supposing the bomb contained no poison, the injury to the spirit amounts to the same thing. Japan had lost the war long since; still, it had not surrendered in orthodox fashion, and it had no way of mounting a fierce counterattack. So even when the enemy came with his decisive stroke, Japan could do nothing. When you get into a brawl, you can't rule out certain blows, nor can you rule out certain weapons. Even if the enemy had not introduced the atomic bombs, we had lost the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
much like your posting

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

baalaagaa posted:

Two wasn't enough. Should have kept going until every trace of Anime was destroyed.

I wish to revise my previous statement to addend this post.

I'm sorry for your loss, Japan.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Truman like Schindler after the war "I could've built more bombs... I could've destroyed more cities..."

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

there sure is a lot of academic controversy around this, and after nearly 80 years we’re no closer to consensus.

the only way to settle this is in the field. which two cities should we nuke, and which two should we use conventional nation building techniques on as a control group? if we stick to the scientific method, we can answer any question.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bad Purchase posted:

there sure is a lot of academic controversy around this, and after nearly 80 years we’re no closer to consensus.

the only way to settle this is in the field. which two cities should we nuke, and which two should we use conventional nation building techniques on as a control group? if we stick to the scientific method, we can answer any question.

The two we nuke are Cleveland, OH and Toledo, OH. The ones we conventionally bomb are Columbus, OH and Cincinnati, OH.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I tattooed Hiroshima and Nagasaki on my posting hands

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Who What Now posted:

The two we nuke are Cleveland, OH and Toledo, OH. The ones we conventionally bomb are Columbus, OH and Cincinnati, OH.

The only problem with this is that conventional bombing may spare some of the greater Cincinnati area (e: or any of Columbus) and that would be a goddamn shame.

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 9, 2022

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Flowers for QAnon posted:

I tattooed Hiroshima and Nagasaki on my posting hands

didn't need to tattoo fatman anywhere lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

didn't need to tattoo fatman anywhere lol

lol get his rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Who What Now posted:

Would anyone notice?