Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Why do science fiction shows have such an obsession with shortened names for things? Klept, peri, polt... I loving hate it, it's such a lazy way to invent "jargon".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Those terms are lifted directly from the book.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

Those terms are lifted directly from the book.

Sorry, pretend I wrote "books" instead of "shows". It still sucks.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
I imagine it's the same reason you download the Amazon Prime Video app to your phone so you can watch the TV show The Peripheral, and not download an application to your telephone to watch a television show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think it's an attempt to mirror the way language changes over time, generally towards "lazier" versions of the regular words. e.g. shortenings, or consonantal shift. Some don't take off -- I don't know why the 90's was convinced "puter" was gonna happen -- but occasionally you get something like "droid".

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Problematic Pigeon posted:

I imagine it's the same reason you download the Amazon Prime Video app to your phone so you can watch the TV show The Peripheral, and not download an application to your telephone to watch a television show.

Only one of those examples uses the "first syllable of the word" convention, though; the others are the second half of the word and an initialism. Just give me a little of that kind of variety!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Feels weird to me that they don't just call them "avatars" tbh.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I'd let Beatrice-bot murder me :swoon:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Only one of those examples uses the "first syllable of the word" convention, though; the others are the second half of the word and an initialism. Just give me a little of that kind of variety!
Koids are the last syllable.

This latest episode was fine. I'm still finding the changes from the book relatively interesting and well-done, especially as they get larger and larger (like for instance the ending of this episode). I have less and less of a sense of where things are going (if they're going anywhere...) which is kind of fun.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

As someone who hasn't read the books, I like the show, but am somewhat confused by how they are extremely skimpy on any sort of exposition. I feel like I missed something when Flynne just started talking about Neoprims as if I'm supposed to know what that means. I don't have any sense of what the various factions' goals are, nor what the implications of quantum tunneling actually means for the future society because all we ever see are the same three characters whose motivations are all extremely vague or untrustworthy.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
They absolutely skipped something with the Neoprims, although this new episode sort of explains some of what they want. The quantum tunneling stuff seems straightforward, though. What exactly are you confused about with respect to that?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I guess I don't know what they actually get out of it. Also there's the larger question of, what lies beyond the future? Are the 2200s making stubs in 2090?

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
not sure i'm liking where they're taking ash, since i liked her in agency. but i am team tommy

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Hakkesshu posted:

I guess I don't know what they actually get out of it. Also there's the larger question of, what lies beyond the future? Are the 2200s making stubs in 2090?
So far in the show we've heard about (or seen) them testing drugs and other kinds of things in stubs - you have a bunch of human subjects you can test your drugs on. The RI is developing that mind control stuff by developing things like the haptics in the stubs. And also people in the stubs can pilot peripherals, so although I think nobody has explicitly said this, you could get stub people to do peripheral stuff for you if you wanted. That's how the show started: Flynn was used to pilot a peripheral in the future for the inciting heist.

As far as making other stubs go, from what we've heard in the show it doesn't seem like anyone is doing that or even that it's possible: contacting the past forms a stub, and you can't contact the past until it's the past, and the2090s are not the past yet: the world hasn't moved past 2090. (I'm assuming 2090 is when the Wilf stuff is happening - I don't remember the timeframe.) In other words: the future isn't making stubs of Wilf's time because the future hasn't happened yet. Or at least that's how things stand given what we've seen so far, I think.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 25, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Presumably people in the future are making stubs, but that won't appear in the show for the same reason the stubs and the prime timeline are separated

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Hakkesshu posted:

They get populations and worlds to exploit for profit and entertainment.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Feels weird to me that they don't just call them "avatars" tbh.

William Gibson's ultra-capitalist future must be legally distinct from James Cameron's ultra-capitalist future because of capitalism.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

Why do science fiction shows have such an obsession with shortened names for things? Klept, peri, polt... I loving hate it, it's such a lazy way to invent "jargon".

The other quirk I hate in shows like these is the necessity for characters to have a scene where they show case their new superhero powers via a test or competition. We get it, you are very powerful and fighting off 40+ dudes is just a game to you.

The 1st episode of this show almost didn't draw me into the series, but I stuck with it and I'm glad I did. I really like this show and every episode seems to really build up a story or universe i'm interested in. Kind of sad that the series is only 8 episodes long and as much as I enjoy it, i'm not sure enough people are to warrant a season 2.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
https://twitter.com/glichfield/status/1597804803635105792

A conversation with Chloë Grace Moretz (spelled "Cholë" in the poster), Lisa Joy, Vincenzo Natali, and William Gibson, coming up soon, although I don't know where exactly.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
huh for a moment there i was thinking they were going to tease stuff from the second book, agency, with the timeline stub fuckery. cause we may as well throw more characters in and get that real adhd pacing going, would probably help with the meh writing. at least filming in modern day san fran would be kinda cheap maybe.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
if all cops were like lowbeer I'd probably be more appreciative of the institution.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Was that the finale?

Not sure how I feel about this show. Good cast, looks great, love the source material, but the huge diversions from the book leave me cold.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

yeah i was super super hype for this but then ep 3 happened and i just can't bring myself to watch any more of it :/ glad those of you that are enjoying it are enjoying it, though

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Blonde girl doing martial arts against some faceless baddies in some sort of crypt/castle gave me massive Buffy vibes.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

at least tell me we got scenes of the squidsuit and mobile burrito delivery

are the religious zealots and Party Time and the assault on the print shop in Flynne's timeline at least referenced?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

boar guy posted:

at least tell me we got scenes of the squidsuit and mobile burrito delivery

are the religious zealots and Party Time and the assault on the print shop in Flynne's timeline at least referenced?

Nope, nope, nope, nope and nope.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LMAO

what a poo poo show

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Here's hoping Apple manages to not gently caress up Neuromancer.

I had high hopes for this show seeing as how The Expanse continued to be amazing to the very end. And, yeah, some of the performances are good and this certainly has the high production values you'd expect from Bezos bucks. But good lord, the writing.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 2, 2022

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that loving sucks

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ersatz posted:

Here's hoping Apple manages to not gently caress up Neuromancer.

Man I really wish villeneuve had wanted to do that instead of Dune

I love Dune but BR2049 was the exact vibe of Gibson imo

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
haha. i did like it out the gate. not sure they stuck the landing though.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

just read a synopsis of the season finale and omg why would gibson sign off on any of that lol

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It's not even a bad show, just a failure of an adaptation. They've basically taken Gibson characters and world building and decided to do a completely different (an not as compelling a story). I'd probably like it if it was an original piece of work, or hadn't read the book..

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

boar guy posted:

just read a synopsis of the season finale and omg why would gibson sign off on any of that lol

yeah he was p much sick through the whole production

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i doubt he had much input. just sold the rights and that was that.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
I made it to the seventh episode with the sheriff's scene and turned it off last week. Glad to see it improved

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I don't get why she had to kill herself in one timeline. Bee lady knows she made another timeline, so why wouldn't she just hunt her there too?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ymgve posted:

I don't get why she had to kill herself in one timeline. Bee lady knows she made another timeline, so why wouldn't she just hunt her there too?

Because in this new timeline Cherise doesn't have the ability to track her - she's also not beholden to Lev anymore in this new timeline. I mean, Flynne kinda explained it in detail.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Because in this new timeline Cherise doesn't have the ability to track her - she's also not beholden to Lev anymore in this new timeline. I mean, Flynne kinda explained it in detail.

The show claims that but I don't see why that's true? She's still connecting into a body in the 2090 world, so there's clearly a link that could be tracked down. It just seems like "and then they lived happily after and she got revenge like she claimed" Killing herself in the old stub doesn't make sense even if you assume the new timeline can't be tracked down because you bet that nuke would get set off anyway in the old stub just to eradicate any remaining trace of the bacteria.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The best part of this show was the fashion in future London. I think it's interesting how much they deviated from the book. It's basically an entirely new story with some of the same ideas, character names, locations, etc. from the book. I liked the book more. This last episode potentially sets up sort of interesting stuff in a second season, if that ever happens, but the RI is a little to cartoonishly evil and the klepts and the Met are a bit too undersketched in this show for me to really get into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’ve seen the first 3 eps. Is it worth finishing?