Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Kraken is pretty much aliexpress sawblaze now. Same design but without the forks to control the opponent.

I still like Kraken though, hope they get some wins at least.

It's kinda disappointing they went this route instead of, you know, making a crusher that can actually crush instead of their previous grabber.

They also desperately needed someone to step in and tell them to redesign their wedge (especially against horizontals, where it should be sloped on either side).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I do think it is interesting how many of these new designs are going for hammer saws as opposed to traditional bar spinners. It could suggest that Sawblaze is creating a shift in the meta.

That being said, the fun of Kraken was always how they'd get in the opposing bots face. This new design had them stumbling around at range. Now part of that was new bot gremlins, but I'm going to old Kraken if they don't jam half their robot into all the various crevices of their opponents just to try and gum something up.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pretty sure they gave Whiplash like the hardest schedule ever. Madcatter, Hypershock, Monsoon, and Tantrum. Only way it could have been harder is if they threw End Game in there... :lol: "gently caress you, you get 4 verts!"

Also for anyone interested, this should be the link to tomorrows NHRL stream, might change though between the prelim fights and the main stream. Also a nice trailer for NHRL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB5QtU-uyeM

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Pretty sure they gave Whiplash like the hardest schedule ever. Madcatter, Hypershock, Monsoon, and Tantrum. Only way it could have been harder is if they threw End Game in there... :lol: "gently caress you, you get 4 verts!"

Minotaur's schedule is pretty nuts:

- Tantrum
- Free Shipping (no longer a pushover but probably an easy win)
- Cobalt
- Witch Doctor

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hadn't looked too closely at the other teams. Pretty crazy for Battlebots to put Hydra / Tantrum and Minotaur / Witch Doctor in preliminary fights. Going to just rehash all the drama from last season if Hydra and/or Minotaur win those fights :lol:

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Hadn't looked too closely at the other teams. Pretty crazy for Battlebots to put Hydra / Tantrum and Minotaur / Witch Doctor in preliminary fights. Going to just rehash all the drama from last season if Hydra and/or Minotaur win those fights :lol:

That's clearly the reason they did it, they wanted to be sure those rematches happened.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

NHRL rapid firing fights off today, new bots only so there's a lot of kit bots and some comical bots,. Sometimes even running split screens between 2 fights. Should end quite a bit sooner in the evening than in the past as they are going single elimination this year.

Still basically 130 fights in like ~12 hours.

Just after 6PM EST and the event is already down to the quarterfinals for the 3LB weight class and the semis for 12s & 30s. Pretty fast pace format they got going now.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 29, 2023

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Really enjoyed the NHRL stream, some great ridiculous bots made out of PLA, and the kitbots went far. If they just improve on the Lego back wheels they could be a serious competitor out of the box. The other bot I was fascinated by was Hamshake piloted by Jameson Go' and teammate Aaron who got surprisingly far into the tournament. The tough boxy vertical spinners were unsurprisingly dominant but for all that, a lot of the weirder (and flimsier) bots got much further than anyone expected, and it was really the attrition that beat the best down.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hamshake was a great bot. They were 1 fight away from qualifying that bot into the finals this year. It was a great stream and the single elimination format is pretty good for not having the stream go until 2 in the morning.

Although I do kind of wish they'd make the final 8 a double elimination to give a little more drama and also get that 2 out of 3 final possibility that was cool in the past. It would also solve 1 of their problems in that they have a weird tie breaker now if a bot that already qualified for the finals in November gets in the top 4.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fight card for tomorrow. Features the 1st fight between the reserve bots with Double Tap and Doomba.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Looks like some serious destruction potential in this one.

I'm glad they're giving the reserve bots some fights because Doomba is hilarious

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Witch Doctor has been posting updates from the offseason. They were working to get brushless weapon motors working so they could get it up to the max allowed tip speed of 250 mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVj9pcnQHR8

You can see in the slow mo of the full speed hit, their own frame wobbles like crazy and it breaks every screw in the base plate, just from the force of landing the hit.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

blip v huge seems ridiculous tho, i can't see blip being able to do much to huge while huge can definitely do a lot more damage this season to blip, so huge would easily win just on control and aggression out of the gate.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ewe2 posted:

blip v huge seems ridiculous tho, i can't see blip being able to do much to huge while huge can definitely do a lot more damage this season to blip, so huge would easily win just on control and aggression out of the gate.

I can't imagine how Blip could win this fight, at least now that they've change the rules so they can't build a Hydra-style "you can't touch me" bar

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Huge is a weird bot, and it has some very obvious flaws, but have we ever seen a flipper try to take it on legitimately? Did Huge fight Bronco once? I can't see that being effective, but Huge is one of the more unpredictable bots.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I am ride or die for Doomba. :colbert:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

sweet geek swag posted:

Huge is a weird bot, and it has some very obvious flaws, but have we ever seen a flipper try to take it on legitimately? Did Huge fight Bronco once? I can't see that being effective, but Huge is one of the more unpredictable bots.

I think Huge annihilated SubZero one time

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Wait... is that a chainsaw?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Madurai posted:

:hellyeah:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Madurai posted:

:hmmyes:

https://www.facebook.com/DoombaBattleBot/videos/1499959567200854/

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

this is the first I've seen or heard of Doomba and I love it already

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was thinking, they should have an additional "budget" tier level of bot to accommodate the Rustys of the world

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Late to the conversation here, but I think starchild's problem was the plastic piece they have on there to keep the weapon from hitting the floor. It kept hitting overhaul with that instead of the spinner.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

sweet geek swag posted:

Huge keeps getting flipper fights and I'm not sure why. I think it's fought all of them at some point.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Great Beer posted:

Huge keeps getting flipper fights and I'm not sure why. I think it's fought all of them at some point.

Huge has a good record though against flippers that run their flipper configuration...

Battlebots just likes to see Huge flying.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 2, 2023

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

sweet geek swag posted:

yeah it beat the piss out of bronco

Great Beer posted:

yeah, while it is 'anti-flipper', the fact that it is supposed to be 'anti vert-spinner' is much more interesting from a standpoint of disrupting the meta. let me see it fight end game, hypershock, witch doctor etc.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Borsche69 posted:

yeah, while it is 'anti-flipper', the fact that it is supposed to be 'anti vert-spinner' is much more interesting from a standpoint of disrupting the meta. let me see it fight end game, hypershock, witch doctor etc.

Well Huge did fight 2 verts last season, Uppercut & Riptide. Lost to both, although 1 was a KO because Huge got Screwed by the Screws.

Also lost to Biteforce in it's rookie season, but was the fight after Icewave tore it in half so who knows.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well Huge did fight 2 verts last season, Uppercut & Riptide. Lost to both, although 1 was a KO because Huge got Screwed by the Screws.

Also lost to Biteforce in it's rookie season, but was the fight after Icewave tore it in half so who knows.

it was on track to win that fight against biteforce also. but yeah

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I love Huge but it always bums me out that their T-shirt slogan is 'We're kind of a big deal' when 'We're kind of a big Wheel' was RIGHT THERE.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Rondette posted:

I love Huge but it always bums me out that their T-shirt slogan is 'We're kind of a big deal' when 'We're kind of a big Wheel' was RIGHT THERE.

Big Wheel is a trademarked brand though... maybe okay being Battlebots and not a toy bike, but who knows...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lockjaw needs to reconsider its design at this point too I think

A lot of the older teams seem to need to

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Lineup for their destruct a thon shows is out.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

Lineup for their destruct a thon shows is out.

The house bots all have great looks to them. I'm not sure any of them but Diablo would be effective. Ginsu looks like the only thing it will do is explode into a thousand pieces upon contact. I can't tell what Tazbot's archetype is, a hammer?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

If it's like the old one, it's a lifter and the head it's mounted to rotates 360 degrees.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Godspeed, Doomba

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

If it's like the old one, it's a lifter and the head it's mounted to rotates 360 degrees.

Oh yeahhhhhhhh, I vaguely remember that bot now that you mention it.

It sucked

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I appreciate the idiotic purity of Overkill. Absolute peak Roomba With A Knife

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Overkill flails around, makes a bunch of slamming noise, and looks like it's doing something to an untrained eye while causing almost no damage. It's the perfect jobber.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Crowbar guy remains MVP

Sweet backflip by Witch Doctor

wtf the Doomba chainsaw is a prop? Booooo

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Can't believe the chainsaw was non functional on Doomba. I feel betrayed!