Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
God I love bread.

Edit: this recipe makes the best thing I’ve ever eaten. This is my double chocolate triple fudge brownie cookie cake: https://youtu.be/HTD-z1wd0tw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Hollismason posted:

I eat bacon and eggs like 3 times a week. I actually eat a shitload of eggs like a carton a week.
That's very few eggs. I eat a 3 egg breakfast every morning as a baseline, plus some hard boiled in salads and some in the fried rice I batch cook

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The "discourse" around weight loss is crazy-making.

There is a significant amount of evidence to suggest that body composition is hugely influenced by genetics and that our individual choices tend to only have a minor impact outside of extreme situations (i.e., eating disorders, hormonal dysfunction).

Yet, because we live in a culture that constantly perpetuates the idea that individual choice is always the root cause of misfortune, we assume that this is the case for things that are largely outside of our control, like our body composition.

One thing I can tell you is that the only way anyone will ever look like the idealized male/female bodies we see in the media is with enough economic resources. You need to have the time and money to exercise consistently. You also need the money to afford to eat a diet that allows you to excel athletically. Most people can't do either of these things without making major sacrifices.

The truth is that you should feel comfortable with your body and try to stay as healthy as possible within your means. You probably won't end up looking like The Rock, but you'll be happy and healthy.

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I like this and agree with the good doctor here.

that g ova there
Mar 1, 2023

by Hand Knit
If there was a diet that made me want to die I would steer clear of it. Life is a precious gift, absolutely never die.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

bloodysabbath posted:

I’ve never been in the category of a TLC reality show or your average MAGA attendee, but I have struggled with my weight and body image my entire life and it’s taken me to some miserable, even suicidal places. I’m a shorter guy and I’ve been in the high 210s, and I’ve gone as low as 130 where people legit thought I was on drugs (joke’s on them, I was just starving myself and doing cardio instead of therapy!)

Got married, got fat again. Around the pandemic I lost a lot of weight on keto but put it back on once we stopped being so strict.

Now we’re doing a simplified type of “keto lite,” which basically means bread, added sugar, and pasta are treated like occasional things that are nice to have instead of staples.

Down almost 20 pounds since the start of the year and it feels way more sustainable since I can eat, you know, goddamned apples without worrying about kEtOsIs.

Basically extra sugar and bread and pasta are addictive and arguably more destructive than alcohol if carbs imprint themselves as your emotional comfort. Of course our hellworld dystopia has taken that nugget and warped it into EAT ALL THE BACON YOU WANT DRINK THE GREASE RIGHT FROM THE TRAP HASHTAG LIFEHACK HASHTAG FITNESSJOURNEY

This is a good and healthy mindset to have. Jeff Nippard has two really good videos on basically this same system as a topic.

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber

Dr.D-O posted:

There is a significant amount of evidence to suggest that body composition is hugely influenced by genetics and that our individual choices tend to only have a minor impact outside of extreme situations (i.e., eating disorders, hormonal dysfunction).

Yet, because we live in a culture that constantly perpetuates the idea that individual choice is always the root cause of misfortune, we assume that this is the case for things that are largely outside of our control, like our body composition.

One thing I can tell you is that the only way anyone will ever look like the idealized male/female bodies we see in the media is with enough economic resources. You need to have the time and money to exercise consistently. You also need the money to afford to eat a diet that allows you to excel athletically. Most people can't do either of these things without making major sacrifices.

The truth is that you should feel comfortable with your body and try to stay as healthy as possible within your means. You probably won't end up looking like The Rock, but you'll be happy and healthy.

Do you have a source for this?

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Lemon Trees posted:

Yes.

I'm not at my work computer at the moment, though. So, I will post later.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Private Cumshoe posted:

I eat Five Guys every day and my heart is exploding

In astrophysics this is known as a type 5G supernova.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Lemon Trees posted:

They don't, because unless everyone's genetics underwent a massive change sometime around 1980 then their theory is at best extremely misleading and at worst more HAES-inspired quackery.

I recently started taking Wegovy, and have had a lot of struggles with my weight my entire life. But the struggle wasn't due to genetics, it was due to the fact that at a young age I basically blew out of body's sense of hunger by eating terribly and being really overweight. I had been able to lose weight in the past, and I've always kept up a solid exercise regimen, but inevitably I would gain the weight back because I would end up crawling out of my skin with hunger despite eating a number of calories that should be perfectly fine to sustain my body. I'd like to think that I have pretty good willpower, but over the long haul even good willpower will break down when your body is crying out for food. And that's true even if the body is crying out for food that it doesn't actually need.

Now that I'm on a semaglutide, I basically been able to have a normal sense of hunger for the first time in my life. I'm able to stick to a daily calorie budget with almost no effort, and even when I'm out with friends for meals with a lot of drinks, I'll only end up consuming a tiny bit more calories than I should have for the day (when previously I'd often end up eating over 300% of what I should have in a day). As a result, I've dropped over 7% of my bodyweight so far. Now, I've had similar drops in the past that came with a lot of willpower, mental effort and often some major life changes. The difference between then and now is that even while those previous drops had happened, I could feel the hunger in my mind working to try and reverse it. This time, that hunger isn't there.

There's a lot to be said about how our current food environment has damaged a lot of our bodies' abilities to maintain a normal set point for hunger. I recommend this episode of the Ezra Klein show with Stephen Guyenet as a good introduction to the topic. That said, even though we now have a better understanding on how foods can artificially increase hunger and how the mental sense of hunger is the biggest reason for ones body composition, the actual physical mechanism by which weight is gained is still calories in, calories out.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Now, this kind of thing isn't really helpful. I mean, the idea that extreme obesity is actually entirely genetic is clearly false, it's also not really helpful to do this kind of shaming. When a person's sense of hunger has been eroded to be set at a point where they are eating themselves into morbid obesity, shaming them about it is about as useful as shaming someone for not being able to kick heroin. Except at least the person trying to kick heroin doesn't live in a world where heroin is legal, heavily advertised, and available everywhere (oh, and also where you need to take at least a Vicodin every day to stay alive).

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I do pasta with olive oil garlic basil salt and pepper and a sprinkle of parm for 1 meal every day.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Over eating is a process addiction and not really anything to be ashamed of. It's like any other addiction. Just something to address hopefully with the support of a community and therapy possibly psychiatric treatment or a twelve step program.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Dr.D-O posted:

Shut up you dumb rear end absolutist. Genetics plays a huge role in how hungry you are, yes, but to say that "body composition is largely outside of our control" and "individual choices only have a minor impact" when there are millions of people who are direct counter- examples to that claim is loving stupid. Just as stupid as oversimplifying it in the other direction and claiming that fat people are all weak willed trash.

Why would I even listen to your very good and true last paragraph when my individual choices only have a minor impact and it's all genetics? You've written a long wishy washy post trying to be overly nice and have said nothing of use or importance.

E: The things outside of your control that may make it difficult to lose weight aren't just genetics, either. Habits built in childhood and food environment as an adult play a huge role, but you didn't talk about those because your post was terrible

feelix fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 7, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Charles Bukowski posted:

I do pasta with olive oil garlic basil salt and pepper and a sprinkle of parm for 1 meal every day.

aye

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
I love these threads

This Maangchi recipe is 2 pounds of chicken and 1 whole pound of cheese, but sadly she fucks up what would be a fantastic keto recipe by adding rice cakes

Smh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9uI1-6Ac6A

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.

LanceHunter posted:

They don't, because unless everyone's genetics underwent a massive change sometime around 1980 then their theory is at best extremely misleading and at worst more HAES-inspired quackery.

I recently started taking Wegovy, and have had a lot of struggles with my weight my entire life. But the struggle wasn't due to genetics, it was due to the fact that at a young age I basically blew out of body's sense of hunger by eating terribly and being really overweight. I had been able to lose weight in the past, and I've always kept up a solid exercise regimen, but inevitably I would gain the weight back because I would end up crawling out of my skin with hunger despite eating a number of calories that should be perfectly fine to sustain my body. I'd like to think that I have pretty good willpower, but over the long haul even good willpower will break down when your body is crying out for food. And that's true even if the body is crying out for food that it doesn't actually need.

Now that I'm on a semaglutide, I basically been able to have a normal sense of hunger for the first time in my life. I'm able to stick to a daily calorie budget with almost no effort, and even when I'm out with friends for meals with a lot of drinks, I'll only end up consuming a tiny bit more calories than I should have for the day (when previously I'd often end up eating over 300% of what I should have in a day). As a result, I've dropped over 7% of my bodyweight so far. Now, I've had similar drops in the past that came with a lot of willpower, mental effort and often some major life changes. The difference between then and now is that even while those previous drops had happened, I could feel the hunger in my mind working to try and reverse it. This time, that hunger isn't there.

There's a lot to be said about how our current food environment has damaged a lot of our bodies' abilities to maintain a normal set point for hunger. I recommend this episode of the Ezra Klein show with Stephen Guyenet as a good introduction to the topic. That said, even though we now have a better understanding on how foods can artificially increase hunger and how the mental sense of hunger is the biggest reason for ones body composition, the actual physical mechanism by which weight is gained is still calories in, calories out.

then why are body masses increasing when calories consumed are not?

this is a massive oversimplification. obesogenic compounds also have a huge influence and have, in fact, been significantly increasing in proliferation over the past few decades.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
mods change my name to Obesogenic Compound

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
My ex wife always said I would eat cigarettes for breakfast and lunch. This is my experience with intermittent fasting. I chew the gum now, it sucks but I’m still not fat yet.

Being nice is ok. Wishy washy is ok.
Being really aggressively mad about people being nice is probably not ok.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

If we hadn't automated the cum mines, the only thing fat would be our cocks

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Rhadamanthus posted:

then why are body masses increasing when calories consumed are not?

this is a massive oversimplification. obesogenic compounds also have a huge influence and have, in fact, been significantly increasing in proliferation over the past few decades.

The calories are increasing you pseudoscientific kook, along with a reduction in activity

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Gluttony demons make you fat, calories got nothing to do with it. I'm a doctor of divinity, don't argue.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Look you stupid loving rear end in a top hat bitch, you're wrong.

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.

feelix posted:

The calories are increasing you pseudoscientific kook, along with a reduction in activity

when was the last time you read a journal article?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Astrochicken posted:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Astrochicken posted:

It's wrong to mock and shame people who are obese just for being obese in the same way that it's wrong to shame people who get sick.

However, it is good to mock and shame people who are sharing misinformation and pseudoscience about obesity in the same way that it's good to mock and shame people peddling misinformation and pseudoscience about how vaccines don't really work.

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

It's wrong to mock and shame people who are obese just for being obese in the same way that it's wrong to shame people who get sick.

However, it is good to mock and shame people who are sharing misinformation and pseudoscience about obesity in the same way that it's good to mock and shame people peddling misinformation and pseudoscience about how vaccines don't really work.

really amazing that you get to decide what pseudoscience is and isn't, wow.

just go to Nature and look up "obesogen" and go from there, I'm not doing your homework for you.

I also worked on one of those pando vaxxes for you, ungrateful shitheap

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Rhadamanthus posted:

really amazing that you get to decide what pseudoscience is and isn't, wow.

just go to Nature and look up "obesogen" and go from there, I'm not doing your homework for you.

I also worked on one of those pando vaxxes for you, ungrateful shitheap

You won't do the homework means you can't find a source for your claim that calorie consumption hasn't gone up. And you can't find it because it isn't true. Here, I'll do your homework for you:

New York Times posted:

From 1971 to 2000, the study found, women increased their caloric intake by 22 percent, men by 7 percent.

[...]

The study, conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and reported in the current edition of its Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, found that in 1971 women ate 1,542 calories on average, compared with today's 1,877, while men went from 2,450 calories a day to 2,618. Those numbers dwarf the government's recommendations of 1,600 calories a day for women and 2,200 for men.

And of course, because you're going to try and say "that's the popular press, not a journal", here's the actual piece from the CDC.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

WhoaaaaAAA! BIG trouble afoot in this thread!

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

Calorie consumption leveled out in the US after the mid-oughties, but obesity rates keep climbing. Must be magic.

https://obesity.procon.org/global-obesity-levels/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_food_energy_intake

if a human body is just a one-pot reaction that turns food mass into heat, shouldn't these be leveled almost exactly same?

it's almost as if human dietary metabolism is irreducibly complex or something

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
is there any kind of well-regarded study on obesity rates in places where you have to drive everywhere vs. places with lots of walking paths and good public transit? Gotta imagine that being in a car for ten hours a week minimum can't be good for your waistline

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Rhadamanthus posted:

Calorie consumption leveled out in the US after the mid-oughties, but obesity rates keep climbing. Must be magic.

if a human body is just a one-pot reaction that turns food mass into heat, shouldn't these be leveled almost exactly same?

The graph on that wiki page shows calories available, not calories consumed.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Rhadamanthus posted:

when was the last time you read a journal article?

Yesterday I think? I was even co-author on one this year already! Last year I published one as first author and a couple as co-author. Hope that helps, pseudoscience guy

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I lose weight by getting mad on the internet.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Rhadamanthus posted:

Please propose a plausible way in which you would get an even remotely reliable estimate of the average number of calories consumed by an entire nation

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

dr_rat posted:

When you go hiking a a bit, and have had to figure out how to pack 3-5 days worth of food in your pack along with everything else, you notice pretty quick what sort of foods have high caloric density and what ones don't. Although nuts and seeds are still the best for that. Great for snacking on, and calorie dense as hell. Never go hiking with out a big bag/contain of nuts, seeds, and dried fruits.

Yeah I go everywhere with deez nuts

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
2011 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3102055/

"Analysis of energy expenditure for occupations in U.S. private industry since 1960 using data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Mean body weight was derived from the U.S. National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys (NHANES). In the early 1960's almost half the jobs in private industry in the U.S. required at least moderate intensity physical activity whereas now less than 20% demand this level of energy expenditure. Since 1960 the estimated mean daily energy expenditure due to work related physical activity has dropped by more than 100 calories in both women and men. Energy balance model predicted weights based on change in occupation-related daily energy expenditure since 1960 for each NHANES examination period closely matched the actual change in weight for 40–50 year old men and women. For example from 1960–62 to 2003–06 we estimated that the occupation-related daily energy expenditure decreased by 142 calories in men. Given a baseline weight of 76.9 kg in 1960–02, we estimated that a 142 calories reduction would result in an increase in mean weight to 89.7 kg, which closely matched the mean NHANES weight of 91.8 kg in 2003–06. The results were similar for women."

2012 https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.111.087213

"This article describes the interplay among energy intake, energy expenditure, and body energy stores and illustrates how an understanding of energy balance can help us develop strategies to reduce obesity. First, reducing obesity requires modifying both energy intake and energy expenditure, not simply focusing on either alone. Food restriction alone will not be effective in reducing obesity if human physiology is biased toward achieving energy balance at a high energy flux (ie, at a high level of energy intake and expenditure). In previous environments, a high energy flux was achieved with a high level of physical activity, but in today's sedentary environment, it is increasingly achieved through weight gain. Matching energy intake to a high level of energy expenditure will likely be more feasible for most people than restricting food intake to meet a low level of energy expenditure. Second, from an energy balance point of view, we are likely to be more successful in preventing excessive weight gain than in treating obesity. The reason is that the energy balance system shows stronger opposition to weight loss than to weight gain. Although large behavior changes are needed to produce and maintain reductions in body weight, small behavior changes may be sufficient to prevent excessive weight gain. The concept of energy balance combined with an understanding of how the body achieves balance may be a useful framework for developing strategies to reduce obesity rates."

seems like it's uh maybe multi-factorial. lot of studies on the last few years but we'll see how that pans out into the future. the first study was exactly what i was looking for, but i'd rather it be a decade more recent. i don't know. who cares.

Disclosure
feelix always says useful poo poo. i like feelix.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

DickParasite posted:

The graph on that wiki page shows calories available, not calories consumed.

Yeah, specifically, the reference for the calorie chart over time is here, and starts features this very clear disclaimer:

Our World In Data posted:

Daily per capita caloric supply is measured in kilocalories per person per day. This indicates the caloric availability delivered to households but does not necessarily indicate the number of calories actually consumed.

I mean, if you are absolutely convinced that the human metabolic system is irreducibly complex and that the literal decades of research (and centuries of lived experiences) that show how body weight is very closely tied to amount of food eaten and amount of activity done, then I guess go ahead and feel lovely about yourself and how the obesity demons have just cursed you. In the meantime, with the new tools that are available to make it psychologically possible to actually stick to reasonable calorie-based diets, the rest of us will be improving our health and enjoying the benefits of having better control over our body composition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

olives black posted:

is there any kind of well-regarded study on obesity rates in places where you have to drive everywhere vs. places with lots of walking paths and good public transit? Gotta imagine that being in a car for ten hours a week minimum can't be good for your waistline

I'm sure it's absolutely a contributor to poor health but probably impossible to take out all the confounders. For example, countries with similar levels of development that have car culture also have things like awful healthcare, while those with walking cultures have good healthcare. I wonder which countries I'm talking about